• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA Finals |OT| the deli is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Kyrie getting injured is great news for LeBron's legacy according to ESPN:

CGtUDk8W8AAG3iu.jpg:large

BadAss2961

If you criticize Lebron for losing more finals than other all time greats, you are dumb. Straight up. I don't support Lebron, he's a great player but I find his style a bit boring. However you are clearly not considering:

Jordan played in an era with plenty of other strong eastern conference teams. Therefore he could only ever get to the finals with a complete, well rounded team.

Lebron has played in a historically terrible east. The finals teams he had in '07 and '11 had no right being there in the first place. If he had played in the east he would've lost earlier and came back stronger afterwards.

So when you're criticizing him with some ridiculous ESPN level arguments about how Jordan or Kobe didn't lose the finals, please understand that Lebron might not have ever lost the finals either if he'd played in a competitive conference.
So we can't criticize him for getting free rides to the finals only to get exposed once he got there?

Magilla

Banned
I wonder how many players on the Warriors team would have to get injured before LeBron was back on the hook again? Klay/Curry? Just Curry? Green/Klay? Whats the combination that offsets?

Question from an outsider here, I was watching the end of game 1 here in Australia and I noticed LBJ took off back to the locker room without shaking hands, talking to media etc.

I thought this was poor sportsmanship, nobody likes to lose but to fuck of like that is a bad look.
I can't think of a sport over here where athletes fuck off without shaking hands.

My question... Is this the norm for lebron or NBA players in general?

gcubed

Question from an outsider here, I was watching the end of game 1 here in Australia and I noticed LBJ took off back to the locker room without shaking hands, talking to media etc.

I thought this was poor sportsmanship, nobody likes to lose but to fuck of like that is a bad look.
I can't think of a sport over here where athletes fuck off without shaking hands.

Norm for most pro sports during a series.

Apath

If you criticize Lebron for losing more finals than other all time greats, you are dumb. Straight up. I don't support Lebron, he's a great player but I find his style a bit boring. However you are clearly not considering:

Jordan played in an era with plenty of other strong eastern conference teams. Therefore he could only ever get to the finals with a complete, well rounded team.

Lebron has played in a historically terrible east. The finals teams he had in '07 and '11 had no right being there in the first place. If he had played in the east he would've lost earlier and came back stronger afterwards.

So when you're criticizing him with some ridiculous ESPN level arguments about how Jordan or Kobe didn't lose the finals, please understand that Lebron might not have ever lost the finals either if he'd played in a competitive conference.
I am confused. So we cannot criticize him for losing in the finals, but instead we should discredit him getting to the finals at all?

zychi

Banned
I am confused. So we cannot criticize him for losing in the finals, but instead we should discredit him getting to the finals at all?
Guy you quoted is one of those guys that got participation awards for playing sports.

Lebron made it to the finals 5 times! He deserves to be honored and given tons of tv time!

Fjordson

Nah, Kyrie outplayed him for 4 quarters. Steph didn't have an amazing game because Cavs actually played defense unlike Houston who left the best shooter of all time wide open.
I'm not really seeing it. Like I said, he shot better than all the other stars and had 8 assists. Not great, but not bad.

I've had the same injury Kyrie has, I was kicking a penalty kick with my left foot and my right knee just went as I planted.

I made the shot but couldn't really walk.

I was at the center for the ensuing kickoff and was sitting on the ground and the stupid ref looked at me like "let's go".

It takes a while but it heals really well or at least mine did.

I had to wear a brace that disallowed that leg to bend for some time but when I got it off, while weak, the knee felt great.

Ranvier

The players usually don't shake hands or even talk until the end of a series. As for the media, they only talk to the winners right after a game. LeBron gave a press conference after the mandatory 15 minute cooldown/media lockout.

Omega

Banned
I'm not really seeing it. Like I said, he shot better than all the other stars and had 8 assists. Not great, but not bad.

I didn't say he played bad, I just thought Kyrie outplayed him for 4 quarters.

He had a normal game which is fine. Not every game can be record setting, and for people to be complaining about his performance is hilarious.

AnAnole

It takes a while but it heals really well or at least mine did.

Yeah, it does. This is nothing like tearing a ligament (i.e. ACL) or even tearing a meniscus. Once the bone heals, Kyrie should be fine. Blake Griffin had the same injury as a rookie and it didn't impact him in any way after it healed.

Gigglepoo

Not to make excuses but the 06/07 was not Wade's fault because he tore his labrum in late February that season, and was not even 75% during that series.

07/08 and 08/09 I will give you. We had no excuse to lose to the Hawks in the first round. In 09/10, we lost to a good Celtics team, that arguably should have won the title that year. Still no excuse to lose, but it's not like we lost to a bunch of scrubs that year.

Point is, when Wade is your best player, your ceiling is first-round exit. People seem to ignore just how lousy the Heat have been without LeBron.

Wade should've gone to back to back finals with shaq though. He might've had two rings before Lebron would've come to Miami. Damn Pistons got to the finals instead that year.

They were swept in the first round that year. Swept. It's not like they were just barely beaten out by Detroit.

Ninjimbo

Point is, when Wade is your best player, your ceiling is first-round exit. People seem to ignore just how lousy the Heat have been without LeBron.
People also seem to ignore that key players missed significant chunks of the season and more than half the roster was comprised of new, inexperienced, and questionable players. They were undersized for most of the season and none of their players could even be trusted to shoot a three. They couldn't defend. They couldn't hold leads.

For 20 minutes, the Heat could be a good team, but for 48? They were really bad. You usually need to be able to score 100 points to win an NBA game. Let's say Wade could give you 30 each night. Where were the Heat going to get the other 70 with Bosh out? If you start thinking about it, you see just how devoid of talent that team was. I was actually dying to see James Jones come back because the passing was still there except nobody could hit an open three so Dragic and Wade's abilities to drive in became borderline useless for the Heat. It was a team with a ton of holes.

Beyond the starting five, they were thin and when one of those starters got hurt, it was a disaster.

So we shouldn't criticize Lebron "you don't give me 40 points, I go get even if it plays into the defensive plan lol" James pedestrian to say the least Finals record because of how godly awful the East has been? Warn ESPN man!

Ashhong

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed." - Michael Jordan

Throughout his career, only 26 times has he missed the game winning shot? I feel like that is a very low number.

Ranvier

During a rewatch of game 1 I heard someone mention Jordan is at 47% over his career on game winners. LeBron is currently at 43%.

Kobe is at 27%...

zychi

Banned
During a rewatch of game 1 I heard someone mention Jordan is at 47% over his career on game winners. LeBron is currently at 43%.

Kobe is at 27%...
The Kobe "clutch" stat is and always has been bullshit. Hes almost as bad as Lebron at disappearing in big moments (see final Celtics Finals game).

Espn and the nba are fantastic and making stats look like they mean something when they dont actually mean that. Kobe benefited from it.

Dr Prob

Banned
This sucks.

Lebron is an annoying dude.

He's been in the spotlight since he was a kid and that's not his fault. Of course he turned out to be weird. You're almost inclined to root for him, but then he says things like "global icon" and you're like "hmm."

He chases a ring because people say he needs one and you're like "ok."

But then there's a big thing going on where he's supposed to save Cleveland (wtf is going on in Cleveland?) and he's throwing elbows uncalled and asking for subs, then waving them off so he can fall to the ground, spent as if he's just set right all the wrongs of the world but it was just the Hawks.

He's top 5 in a stupid era-spanning argument no one wants to have. Jordan will always look cooler because he was smaller and had to work for everything while Lebron can just crank and get anything he wants. It's not as pretty, but that's life. Lebron loses vs MJ. Oh well.

But he's still such an annoying dude.

Spread the shine around. Stop mythologizing yourself and recommending reading, maybe just be a person.

And just when you think there's a series where we can get down to it and see -- something, Kyrie's knee explodes and that sucks. For him mostly, let's be real. Most of us will be walking around and not even thinking about our knees. But it's a shitty end to the season and even worse it will lead to more Lebron talk.

He's the most annoying dude.

This sucks.

Lebron is an annoying dude.

He's been in the spotlight since he was a kid and that's not his fault. Of course he turned out to be weird. You're almost inclined to root for him, but then he says things like "global icon" and you're like "hmm."

He chases a ring because people say he needs one and you're like "ok."

But then there's a big thing going on where he's supposed to save Cleveland (wtf is going on in Cleveland?) and he's throwing elbows uncalled and asking for subs, then waving them off so he can fall to the ground, spent as if he's just set right all the wrongs of the world but it was just the Hawks.

He's top 5 in a stupid era-spanning argument no one wants to have. Jordan will always look cooler because he was smaller and had to work for everything while Lebron can just crank and get anything he wants. It's not as pretty, but that's life. Lebron loses vs MJ. Oh well.

But he's still such an annoying dude.

Spread the shine around. Stop mythologizing yourself and recommending reading, maybe just be a person.

And just when you think there's a series where we can get down to it and see -- something, Kyrie's knee explodes and that sucks. For him mostly, let's be real. Most of us will be walking around and not even thinking about our knees. But it's a shitty end to the season and even worse it will lead to more Lebron talk.

He's the most annoying dude.

What the hell is this?

methodman

Banned
Kyrie needs to actually work out this year instead of heading to Vegas and getting fatter. No doubt in my mind he is 20 pounds overweight from where he should be if he wants to have a healthy season

Kyrie needs to actually work out this year instead of heading to Vegas and getting fatter. No doubt in my mind he is 20 pounds overweight from where he should be if he wants to have a healthy season

20 lbs overweight? He might not be cut like some players but he still had visible abs when he took off his jersey when he walked off the court the other night.

They were swept in the first round that year. Swept. It's not like they were just barely beaten out by Detroit.
I was referring to the year that wade got injured in the ECF, not the year after he got his first ring.

lol tickets for the home games here in ohio went from like $500 to $270 since game 1 happened

i almost wanna buy a pair to invest in, since i could see the cavs winning game 2 or 3 and the price for game 4 getting swung up again another $100, but eh

otapnam

Um. Have u seen Felton n b davis? That's overweight. Kyrie Just got some horrible luck and no rest

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

Exactly what was I was thinking. Kyrie needs to get some gym time in him. It would definitely help his body be stronger. You can tell he doesn't lift weights or does a lot of it. He's not fat, but not really muscular, which is needed to have a more durable body.

Bron has no time for bad knees. Don't be surprised if he looks to ship off Kyrie in the offseason.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised by this if it happens. Lebron wants to win and win now. He can't count on Kyrie since he gets hurt when a fly lands on him or something.

Add to the fact that there are rumors that the Cavs camp and Kyrie camp (agent, dad, etc.) are butting heads in the playoffs due to Kyrie's health. I mean, in interviews, LBJ sounds like he's telling Kyrie to "man up" or something.

I honestly wouldn't blame Lebron if he does want Kyrie shipped. I mean, that's 80 mil! And to think he has to be patient for 4-5 more years if Kyrie stays. I gather, Kyrie will get injured at least three more times in that time span.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom