• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA PLAYOFFS |OT| One man's Smith.. Is another man's treasure.

Tom Penny

The Bulls would destroy the Warriors. Whoever wins this Cavs-Bulls series is winning a championship. The only scenario where that doesn't happen is Bulls beating Cavs and Rose getting hurt. Every other team are just a bunch of posers, especially the Hawks.

That's pretty good. A for effort.

I just want to throw this out there we can very much afford Kevin Durant in 2016. We just have to move Andre first which shouldn't be too hard. We won't be able to keep everyone else but with a starting 5 of

Steph
Klay
KD
Dray
Bogut

Who the fuck cares? We'd be basically unstoppable.

Moving David Lee and Iggy while taking on no salary back? That's not going to happen. Not only that, but with the salary cap going up, FA contracts are going to balloon as well. Draymond is going to command a 10 mil a year salary or more (Detroit's gone on record to be willing to pay him). Also, Durant is going to get a max deal somewhere and max deals often are based on % of team salary cap and not a fixed amount. I doubt he'd be willing to take a pay cut to sign with GS.

Finally, Curry's contract is going to expire soon and he's definitely not going to sign for 4 years $33 mil (which is the bargain deal we got him at last time around) or anything lower than the max.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Moving David Lee and Iggy while taking on no salary back? That's not going to happen. Not only that, but with the salary cap going up, FA contracts are going to balloon as well. Draymond is going to command a 10 mil a year salary or more (Detroit's gone on record to be willing to pay him). Also, Durant is going to get a max deal somewhere and max deals often are based on % of team salary cap and not a fixed amount. I doubt he'd be willing to take a pay cut to sign with GS.

Finally, Curry's contract is going to expire soon and he's definitely not going to sign for 4 years $33 mil (which is the bargain deal we got him at last time around) or anything lower than the max.

There was an article on Yahoo about this:

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-...ould-join-the-warriors-in-2016-203810423.html

The Warriors could pull it off, however. The NBA’s salary cap is expected to approach the $90 million mark in the summer of 2016, and the Warriors have just under $51 million on their books currently for that year – including Thompson’s recent extension, Stephen Curry, and the final year of Andrew Bogut’s deal. Of course, the Warriors are going to work like mad to re-sign Draymond Green to a contract that will likely top eight figures a year this summer, and current starting small forward Harrison Barnes could receive a contract extension if the Warriors see fit this summer or fall. Golden State will also have two more first-round draft picks to account for.

Biding time with Barnes in hopes of clearing space for Durant doesn’t seem like too nutty a strategy, however, for the NBA’s top-ranked front office. Barnes has been fantastic this year as a starter under new coach Steve Kerr, a bargain at just over $3 million, but he seems like the prototypical “go forth in restricted free agency and see what you get”-player.

Currently, at least. Because so many squads will be replete with either planned or unexpected cap space in the summer of 2016, Barnes could be the target of teams that fell short in the Durant sweepstakes (LeBron James, Kevin Love, Anthony Davis and Dwyane Wade could also be free agents, if they work in that direction). Two consecutive great years for a young two-way player coming into his prime – that’s the sort of things teams will pounce on, and Golden State would not be without risk in angling to clear salary for Durant’s $25 million starting slot.

This would also mean Durant would be all-in on leaving Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka in their respective primes as well, something he genuinely won’t make a decision on until the summer of 2016. Joining what could be a two-time champion (by then) in Golden State wouldn’t seem to be much of a letdown, as Curry and Thompson would be in their primes, but defensive helpers like Andrew Bogut and Andre Iguodala are already on the wrong side of 30 and would be in the final year of their contracts in 2016-17. Curry, KD and Klay would be quite the core, but Golden State would have a lot of work on its hands as it attempts to round out a roster with little financial flexibility left.

It’s a wild scenario, offered by a sometimes too-giddy dad who is half a country away from Kevin Durant’s camp.

It’s do-able, though. Which is rather frightening.

I still think it's highly unlikely though.

The Bulls would destroy the Warriors. Whoever wins this Cavs-Bulls series is winning a championship. The only scenario where that doesn't happen is Bulls beating Cavs and Rose getting hurt. Every other team are just a bunch of posers, especially the Hawks.

jenniferlawrenceokaythumbup.gif

As much as I want to subscribe to this, and I really want to subscribe to this, the Warriors are a really well built team. I can't see any apparent flaws with this team, where I can see some with the Bulls and Cavs.

I want to believe that the Bulls will sweep the rest of the playoffs but that's not happening.

Warriors-Bulls is my dream finals, though.

ViciousDS

Banned

LOL......I'm a bulls fan and there is no way they would destroy the warriors. If the bulls can find their identity against the Cavs and make it to the finals against the warriors then it will be a very good hard fought series. But no one is destroying the warriors, they are just too damn good. They are probably the second best team I have seen since the 95-96 bulls (Mind you, I'm a little bias towards King Cury lol.)

flyover

Of the remaining Eastern Conference teams, I think the Bulls have the best chance of competing with (though probably not beating) the Warriors.

But I think they may also be the least-likely remaining Eastern team to make it to the finals in the first place. Hope I'm wrong, though. Would be fun to see them make it.

Of the remaining Eastern Conference teams, I think the Bulls have the best chance of competing with (though probably not beating) the Warriors.

But I think they may also be the least-likely remaining Eastern team to make it to the finals in the first place. Hope I'm wrong, though. Would be fun to see them make it.

We can beat the Cavs, and the Hawks and Wizards are barely competing. The Warriors are a tier among the rest, but I believe the Bulls are also the best built to compete against them.

Fjordson

Curry's speech was great, if not quite as good as KD's last year. No emotional "you da real MVP" moment. Though Steph hinting at Joe Lacob to pay Draymond this offseason was pretty funny.

But Adam Silver and his buddies must be giddy over how good Curry has become. Dude seems totally comfortable in front of a camera and is just naturally affable. Makes it easy to position him as a face of the NBA.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Remembering Stern trolling the Knicks fans when GS picked Curry right ahead of them just makes me smile.

With Love and Smith out, Cavs will probably need some key minutes from this guy to stretch the floor in this series.

MikeMillerShoeless.gif

it will be interesting to see how much time he gets. I'm not sure he or James Jones can check Chicago's 3 (I'm assuming LBJ will have to check the Chi 4). Maybe they can stay in front of Taj Gibson, but they can't do much with Gasol or Butler.

Defensive assignments for CLE will be interesting to say the least.

it will be interesting to see how much time he gets. I'm not sure he or James Jones can check Chicago's 3 (I'm assuming LBJ will have to check the Chi 4). Maybe they can stay in front of Taj Gibson, but they can't do much with Gasol or Butler.

Defensive assignments for CLE will be interesting to say the least.

Well, they'd had 'forever' to prepare for this, so will be interesting to see what Blatt draws up.

Into

While i understood the arguments for Harden, i just dont think the jump from a bad to a good team (Houston without and with Harden) and the jump between a good and a great team (Warriors without and with Curry) is the same. Its more impressive to go from good to great than from bad to good.

We can beat the Cavs, and the Hawks and Wizards are barely competing. The Warriors are a tier among the rest, but I believe the Bulls are also the best built to compete against them.

Barely competing? I'm still dumbfounded where Bulls fans get so much of their confidence from after dragging the Bucks to 6 games.

Either way Cavs/Bulls game should be fun to watch.

Well, they'd had 'forever' to prepare for this, so will be interesting to see what Blatt draws up.

yea but these guys aren't Batman. the role players that remain don't get better with prep time. they are what they are. JJ and Mike may be good for one standout game each. Marion...ugh. And that's pretty much the entire bench.

oh and fuck dellavadova. every time you see him in the game, know that Dreams is somewhere mumbling under his breath.

Well, they'll be prepared at least. I agree, I expect a great game or two out of JJ and or Miller.

Marion was hurt earlier in the year when he played more and at least he's healthy now.

Bulls gonna get a huge dose of Tristan Thompson, so let's see if he can still pull away all those rebounds without Love (hell, the two barely played at the same time anyway)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Blatt not revealing lineup until right before the game. I'm guessing Lebron will be the 4, Shumpert the 2, and Marion the 3. Ugh.

They'll probably start Thompson, but the bench is already garbage.

Blatt not revealing lineup until right before the game. I'm guessing Lebron will be the 4, Shumpert the 2, and Marion the 3. Ugh.

They'll probably start Thompson, but the bench is already garbage.

My guess:

Irving
Shump
JJ
James
Mosgov

-or-

Irving
Shump
James
Tompson
Mosgiv

The former allows them to continue playing and spacing the floor in a manner in which they are accustomed to at the expense of good defense. The later sacrifices lane spacing in favor or better interior defense.

Pick your poison, I suppose.

James Jones cannot check Dunleavy.

obviously he's going to have to. they don't have anyone else to put in front of him. unless your suggestion is to put JJ on Gasol and have James following Dunleavy around. I don't like that suggestion because JJ is neither tall enough nor strong enough to keep from getting backed down by Gasol, nor can he get up and out rebound him. I'd rather get beat by Dunleavy managing to get open for eight 3's than seeing JJ's weak defense force the Cavs to double Gasol, freeing *everyone* up for looks.

With James on Gasol, you at least don't have to double team anyone and have a good chance to get boards.

PBY

Banned
obviously he's going to have to. they don't have anyone else to put in front of him. unless your suggestion is to put JJ on Gasol and have James following Dunleavy around. I don't like that suggestion because JJ is neither tall enough nor strong enough to keep from getting backed down by Gasol, nor can he get up and out rebound him. I'd rather get beat by Dunleavy managing to get open for eight 3's than seeing JJ's weak defense force the Cavs to double Gasol, freeing *everyone* up for looks.

With James on Gasol, you at least don't have to double team anyone and have a good chance to get boards.

I'm not disagreeing with you. But I know James Jones. And Dunleavy bout to feast tonight. Its just a situation where you have no good options until JR comes back.

Barely competing? I'm still dumbfounded where Bulls fans get so much of their confidence from after dragging the Bucks to 6 games.

Either way Cavs/Bulls game should be fun to watch.

Hey man, I don't mean much of it. I just don't see a scenario where the Wizards beat the current Cavs or healthy Bulls.

Top Bottom