• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA PLAYOFFS |OT| One man's Smith.. Is another man's treasure.

As long as Conley can keep it up, I think series will at least go to 6 or 7

Which makes me happy, because this 2nd round could be really good if Cavs-Bulls and Grizzlies-Warriorsare competitive, and the Rockets fix whatever problem and play competitively against the Clippers.

All while Wizards make ECF

We'll have to wait to see how GSW responds to tonight from here on out.

Damn GS fans making Heat fans look hardcore.
heh.png

Man Conley is a warrior (no pun) injuries all over and played one hell of a game.

"This next game is a very important game." Thank you, Shaq. Would not have known that without your insight.

Not finishing drives and creating 3 point plays, missing wide open layups/DUNKS (WTF), Curry and Klay having a terrible start (Klay, a terrible game), not catching assists and making the easy bucket, etc.

The Warriors didn't lose to the Grizzlies, the Warriors lost to themselves, plain and simple.
That was some of the ugliest basketball I've seen them play

Not finishing drives and creating 3 point plays, missing wide open layups/DUNKS (WTF), Curry and Klay having a terrible start (Klay, a terrible game), not catching assists and making the easy bucket, etc.

The Warriors didn't lose to the Grizzlies, the Warriors lost to themselves, plain and simple.
That was some of the ugliest basketball I've seen them play

I don't agree at all. Grizzlies defense was spot on. Just look at the third and fourth quarter. They just controlled the pace.

The Warriors fault for not knowing any other way to play. They never adapted to the pace and lost the game.

overcast

Warriors played ugly, but that's offensive to the Grizz too. They played a hell of a game with a lot of grit. Conley ran the offense efficently and Gasol/Lee didn't really play well.

I don't agree at all. Grizzlies defense was spot on. Just look at the third and fourth quarter. They just controlled the pace.

The Warriors fault for not knowing any other way to play. They never adapted to the pace and lost the game.
You don't agree that Curry and Klay got started way too late? You don't agree Klay had a terrible game and missed very easy shots?
Draymond was getting around Gasol with ease when taken to the basket.
They missed a ridiculous amount of free throws and we're talking about very good free throw shooters.
I won't take anything from Conley, he had a superb game, but even with his contribution, if the Warriors would have been playing like they usually do then it would have been over.

But we'll see what happens Game 3.

Fjordson

Left at half, but I see we never came back. And we only scored 90? Pathetic.

Really not sure what to expect going forward now. This was a bad loss.

You don't agree that Curry and Klay got started way too late? You don't agree Klay had a terrible game and missed very easy shots?
Draymond was getting around Gasol with ease when taken to the basket.
They missed a ridiculous amount of free throws and we're talking about very good free throw shooters.
I won't take anything from Conley, he had a superb game, but even with his contribution, if the Warriors would have been playing like they usually do then it would have been over.

But we'll see what happens Game 3.

No, I agree they had a terrible game. I just think that the Grizzlies were to blame. If the Grizzlies can control the pace of the game like tonight, they're taking this series. That's a big if though.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Left at half, but I see we never came back. And we only scored 90? Pathetic.

Really not sure what to expect going forward now. This was a bad loss.
They play at the Grizzlies pace and there's a chance they can lose. GS is a really good team, but like they say, "Live by the jumper. Die by the jumper." People seem to forget that Memphis beat GS earlier this year and the last two times we loss we didn't have Conley. This series is going at least 6 games. Sorry if you thought it would be a sweep, but the Grizzlies have too much experience to just roll over and die.

You're talking to a member of a fanbase that was seriously debating which of the Clippers or the Rockets would be easier to sweep before game one of the second round even started. Only the Warriors can beat the Warriors. It is their destiny to jumpshoot their way to the championship and every failure in their path to do so is them pushing it away themselves. No team can touch them. Only they can touch themselves.

You're talking to a member of a fanbase that was seriously debating which of the Clippers or the Rockets would be easier to sweep before game one of the second round even started. Only the Warriors can beat the Warriors. It is their destiny to jumpshoot their way to the championship and every failure in their path to do so is them pushing it away themselves. No team can touch them. Only they can touch themselves.

Preach my brotha
you're nasty, btw

Fjordson

They play at the Grizzlies pace and there's a chance they can lose. GS is a really good team, but like they say, "Live by the jumper. Die by the jumper." People seem to forget that Memphis beat GS earlier this year and the last two times we loss we didn't have Conley. This series is going at least 6 games. Sorry if you thought it would be a sweep, but the Grizzlies have too much experience to just roll over and die.
Never thought it'd be a sweep, but we smashed Memphis with Conley during the season and hadn't lost at home since December. This was a really bad loss. To only score 90 is terrible.

And the Warriors are second in the league in points in the paint per game, so they don't exclusively live by jumpers. I mean I'd love to chalk this up to just a bad shooting night, but something tells me it's more complicated than that. But I only saw the first 21 minutes or so so I could be wrong.

Huh? Assuming you aren't taking about me. I've never thought we would sweep anyone past New Orleans.

Also, where did this false idea of Golden State just being a jump shooting team come from? Really hope y'all go further than Charles Barkeley for your basketball analysis.

Huh? Assuming you aren't taking about me. I've never thought we would sweep anyone past New Orleans.

Also, where did this false idea of Golden State just being a jump shooting team come from? Really hope y'all go further than Charles Barkeley for your basketball analysis.

yeah, you're more the type to start panicking immediately after losing a game :p

Never thought it'd be a sweep, but we smashed Memphis with Conley during the season and hadn't lost at home since December.

Prior to 2014 Memphis had beaten Golden State 11 times in a row, and they beat them once already this season. Actually, until recently, Golden State was a team I always just assumed we would win against anytime we faced them. Conley didn't play in the last game you guys won. So Warriors fans were basing this "We know how to play the Grizzlies" confidence on one 4 point victory against a full strength Grizzlies in April where Klay went off for 42, which is an anomaly no matter how good I personally think Klay is.

Obviously you aren't a typical Warriors fan, given that you gave up on the victory with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd, but the overriding opinion among Warriors fans was that this series was a wrap before it started. Given that they are the flashier team, they are the people's team at the moment, so those views are replicated in the media. All the analysts were saying the same thing prior to today. The coach's interview before the 4th quarter was asking Steve Kerr how expected to "wrap the game up"! Give me a break, man.

Also, pls. You win games by jumpshooting. You may do other things and do other things well, but you win games by Klay and Curry pulling up for fuck you jumpers anywhere and at anytime. You are not winning in the playoffs any other way no matter how good Dray is, or how tough your second unit is. Those things ain't winning the games on their own. Klay and Steph's jumpshots are.

Fjordson

yeah, you're more the type to start panicking immediately after losing a game :p
Lol that is true!

I dunno, just a bit shocking to lose at home with such poor offense. Hopefully we bounce back.

Also, pls. You win games by jumpshooting.
You may do other things and do other things well, but you win games by Klay and Curry pulling up for fuck you jumpers anywhere and at anytime. You are not winning in the playoffs any other way no matter how good Dray is, or how tough your second unit is. Those things ain't winning the games on their own. Klay and Steph's jumpshots are.
This is just so wildly inaccurate. Golden State is #1 in assists per game, 2nd in points in the paint, #1 in fast break points and they've had the #1 defense all year. What you're suggesting simply isn't true and it definitely ain't why GS won 67 games. They've pulled out W's on horrific shooting nights.

BobLoblaw

Banned
This is just so wildly inaccurate. Golden State is #1 in assists per game, 2nd in points in the paint, #1 in fast break points and they've had the #1 defense all year. What you're suggesting simply isn't true and it definitely ain't why GS won 67 games. They've pulled out W's on horrific shooting nights.
Those are some nice regular season stats you got there, but the playoffs are different. Teams adjust and if you don't, you're screwed. Let's see how GS adjusts to getting beaten for the first time in the playoffs.

Fjordson

Never understood why the regular season is tossed out when discussing sports on GAF. Especially long ones like the NBA where stats and metrics paint a pretty accurate picture of what a team is.

Nevermind the fact I'm actually giving the Grizzlies more credit than just chalking up this loss to bad shooting :lol I'm legit concerned about the series. Even more so than before.

Edit: man, Klay and Bogut were -16. Good god.

trixx

Grizzlies better win the next two games at home, I know they can do it but the 3 point shot.. Anyways going to be a long one

This is what I was saying earlier in thread, if gs isn't hitting their 3's they're going down. People sleeping Memphis.

spyder_ur

I always thought this series was going to be tricky for the Dubs. Golden State is the better, more offensively talented team, but we've now seen for 4 or 5 years that the Grizzlies, come playoff time, are able to give teams with that profile major trouble.

Playoff basketball is different from the regular season. That's not to say that the regular season doesn't matter, but things tighten up and teams learn more ways to attack your weaknesses.

There are three or four great ways to get easy points which are super important in the playoffs. One is having a guy who can get to the hoop for a layup or get to the line. The Warriors don't have anyone that is elite at that. The second is getting cheap post buckets. Same. The third is transition, which the Warriors are deadly in (the fact that their players run to the three point line rather than the hoop, and can capitalize, goes against everything you are ever taught about transition defense). But if the Grizzlies can continue to control pace they can limit those.

Warriors can and probably will still win, but they'll have to really earn one in Memphis. Or maybe they won't have to, because Steph and Klay come out and make 15 3s combined. That's always possible too.

Tigerheli

Neo Member
Never understood why the regular season is tossed out when discussing sports on GAF. Especially long ones like the NBA where stats and metrics paint a pretty accurate picture of what a team is.

Nevermind the fact I'm actually giving the Grizzlies more credit than just chalking up this loss to bad shooting :lol I'm legit concerned about the series. Even more so than before.

Because the last 50 years of playoff basketball stats and metrics have shown that playoff basketball is not the same as regular season basketball. Without even looking at the stats, though, just common sense would tell you that playing a team once every 2 months is different from playing them 4 times in a week. It's also pretty obvious that a team in November and December isn't the same team as they are in May and June. It's exactly because the NBA season is so long that it makes the regular season mostly meaningless.

Anyway, the Grizz win is big because this is exactly how the Grizz would have to play in order for them to win the series. We always say "Okay, an underdog can win if they do these 5 things, but it's hard to do those 5 things against a better team." But here, Grizz did that, and on the road, and pretty convincingly.

GS did have more turnovers than assists last night as a team. Yeah they had a bad shooting night but the Grizzlies played some damn good defense.

Also Klay kind of disappeared last year against the Clips as well so I'm not that surprised by his performance.

edit: So EJ wasn't on Inside last night because he was at the Emmy's for broadcasting. He actually won again and gave his Emmy to Stuart Scott's kids.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tnt_overtime/2015/05/06/20150505-ernie-johnson-stuart-scott-emmy-award-tribute.nba/?ls=nbahpsplit1

spyder_ur

Because the last 50 years of playoff basketball stats and metrics have shown that playoff basketball is not the same as regular season basketball. Without even looking at the stats, though, just common sense would tell you that playing a team once every 2 months is different from playing them 4 times in a week. It's also pretty obvious that a team in November and December isn't the same team as they are in May and June. It's exactly because the NBA season is so long that it makes the regular season mostly meaningless.

Anyway, the Grizz win is big because this is exactly how the Grizz would have to play in order for them to win the series. We always say "Okay, an underdog can win if they do these 5 things, but it's hard to do those 5 things against a better team." But here, Grizz did that, and on the road, and pretty convincingly.

I recognize that name I think...

Absolutely right teardrop Pau. Their defense was incredible last night and Conley makes a big difference when he plays like that. The question with them is can they get consistent scoring against good defenses.

Mxrz

Memphis has GS number. But Curry's ability to make asshole 3s despite Conley and Allen pissing on him is a thing. Even lastnight, wouldn't been surprised if Curry pulled a 13 in 35 while fans were bailing. Pretty sure Durant did it to Memphis during that double OT series years back.

GS did have more turnovers than assists last night as a team. Yeah they had a bad shooting night but the Grizzlies played some damn good defense.

Also Klay kind of disappeared last year against the Clips as well so I'm not that surprised by his performance.

edit: So EJ wasn't on Inside last night because he was at the Emmy's for broadcasting. He actually won again and gave his Emmy to Stuart Scott's kids.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tnt_overtime/2015/05/06/20150505-ernie-johnson-stuart-scott-emmy-award-tribute.nba/?ls=nbahpsplit1

Good guy, Ernie Johnson. What a good guy.

Top Bottom