• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA PLAYOFFS |OT| One man's Smith.. Is another man's treasure.

What's funny, is there's probably a majority of gaf that wasn't even alive when that happened xD

I was and the shit is STILL fresh. But not as fresh as blowing Game 7 of the World Series in the bottom of the 9th. It's hard being a CLE sports fan. We are long-suffering. Which is why I suppose it always surprises me that there are genuine haters. I guess people are just tired of LBJ which is understandable. But no city fanbase left in the playoffs has had to endure such a long drought. Bay fans still have the Giants recent World Series wins and the Montana years to remember. ATL fans have...well...the Maddox/Glavine Braves 'Ships. Houston doesn't have much more than the Rockets rings when MJ was playing Baseball, so I feel their pain too. The Texans haven't been shit since they had that meltdown when Warren Moon was still there and they were the Oilers. Still, of the 4...nobody has suffered for as long as CLE sports fans.

Anyway, hard-fought win tonight. I did not expect the outcome (a win), but I'll damn sure take it. We won't get that much from JR in Game 2, but hopefully we'll get something on the offensive side from Shump and Dellavadova. They were godawful on offense.

Kyrie continuing to be gimpy is of chief concern. Neither my guys nor ATL can beat GS in the Finals, so I suppose it doesn't really matter. We're both playing for second place. Though if the one ATL guy that went down is out, CLE will probably give GS the best fight of the two ECF teams.

TTG

Kyrie should have the next game, if not the series, off. He tweaked something again midway through and looked like he was walking on egg shells before that, obviously not without reason. I don't know if the coaching staff is too scared to do it or what, it's hard to watch them put him at risk like that.

Kyrie should have the next game, if not the series, off. He tweaked something again midway through and looked like he was walking on egg shells before that, obviously not without reason. I don't know if the coaching staff is too scared to do it or what, it's hard to watch them put him at risk like that.

he tweaked/aggravated his knee.

also, I approve of giving him the next game off. though I don't know if that's enough time and you don't want to give a team as good as ATL a game because you decided to let Delly play 30 mintutes. Stakes are too high and wins are not assured. Ask the Clippers.

I was and the shit is STILL fresh. But not as fresh as blowing Game 7 of the World Series in the bottom of the 9th. It's hard being a CLE sports fan. We are long-suffering. Which is why I suppose it always surprises me that there are genuine haters. I guess people are just tired of LBJ which is understandable. But no city fanbase left in the playoffs has had to endure such a long drought. Bay fans still have the Giants recent World Series wins and the Montana years to remember. ATL fans have...well...the Maddox/Glavine Braves 'Ships. Houston doesn't have much more than the Rockets rings when MJ was playing Baseball, so I feel their pain too. The Texans haven't been shit since they had that meltdown when Warren Moon was still there and they were the Oilers. Still, of the 4...nobody has suffered for as long as CLE sports fans.

Anyway, hard-fought win tonight. I did not expect the outcome (a win), but I'll damn sure take it. We won't get that much from JR in Game 2, but hopefully we'll get something on the offensive side from Shump and Dellavadova. They were godawful on offense.

Kyrie continuing to be gimpy is of chief concern. Neither my guys nor ATL can beat GS in the Finals, so I suppose it doesn't really matter. We're both playing for second place. Though if the one ATL guy that went down is out, CLE will probably give GS the best fight of the two ECF teams.

I agree it's some total assholes out there that want to simply just kick a city while it's been down for so damn long, if it's genuine Cleveland hate. Although, the majority of the haters are people that just absolutely hate LeBron.

Jordan had the haters too, and I'm sure it would have been more evident if the Internet was what it was today back then during his prime.

Either way, it's great to be back in the ECF again and hope we can keep it going!

TTG

he tweaked/aggravated his knee.

also, I approve of giving him the next game off. though I don't know if that's enough time and you don't want to give a team as good as ATL a game because you decided to let Delly play 30 mintutes. Stakes are too high and wins are not assured. Ask the Clippers.

They're not, but he's not particularly effective out there. He's making some spot up shots and then getting blown by Teague on the other end, is that worth it? What if the next time it's not walking off with a limp, but an exploded knee like RGIII?

They won't be getting good looks with Lebron on the bench, I say just eat that for the 8 minutes he's off the floor.

Yeah I always felt bad about that, and since then I have pulled for the Indians when they make the playoffs. :(

Could you make a case for Buffalo as the unluckiest/most depressing place to be a sports fan? The Bills made it to 4 Super Bowls and they lost all four. They haven't made the playoffs in like 15 years.

Yeah I always felt bad about that, and since then I have pulled for the Indians when they make the playoffs. :(

Speaking of that, I was at an Indians game the other day, and low and behold, they put up a banner at the park for our Wild Card season where we went one and done. lol

I know it was a good year, but the way it ended, eh was just another sad reminder. At least your Marlins won in 97 >____>

OK so my thoughts on the cavs. KEVIN LOVE I know he is hurt but he would be a FOOL not to resign with them. Speculation is he does not like basically being the 3rd option and he didnt make the allstar team this year. SO WHAT... what you are going to go to the lakers and do what in the western conference.. hope you can pull out an 8th seed which isnt even a give. I hope he see's the bigger picture he would get his money anyway because Cleveland seems to be all in on him and giving him the max. With him Kyrie, and James they could easily make it to the finals making their way through the east for the next 3-4 years straight. As far as this series its just over already I know its crazy to say that and I am not basing it all on this game. Lebron just looks WAY too comfortable with this team and their defense. He basically was playing around with them. Kyrie only played 25 minutes. I see atlanta MAYBE being able to pull off two games but I doubt that. too much was made out of Atlanta beating this team in the regular season... playoffs are so much different.

You could argue either for Kevin Love if they win. If they don't win I think you have to argue he should stay because they got so close.

If they do win you could argue that he got his ring now he gets to go play for whomever and live the life he wants to. Or you could argue he stays and go for more rings. I know it's kind of weird but I almost think Cavs not winning makes it a higher chance for Kevin to stay. Some guy are wired to where winning is the only thing that matters like MJ/Kobe. But not everyone is like that. I could totally see Kevin just walking away like "nah I don't like it here, thanks for the ring bye."

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
OK so my thoughts on the cavs. KEVIN LOVE I know he is hurt but he would be a FOOL not to resign with them. Speculation is he does not like basically being the 3rd option and he didnt make the allstar team this year. SO WHAT... what you are going to go to the lakers and do what in the western conference.. hope you can pull out an 8th seed which isnt even a give. I hope he see's the bigger picture he would get his money anyway because Cleveland seems to be all in on him and giving him the max. With him Kyrie, and James they could easily make it to the finals making their way through the east for the next 3-4 years straight. As far as this series its just over already I know its crazy to say that and I am not basing it all on this game. Lebron just looks WAY too comfortable with this team and their defense. He basically was playing around with them. Kyrie only played 25 minutes. I see atlanta MAYBE being able to pull off two games but I doubt that. too much was made out of Atlanta beating this team in the regular season... playoffs are so much different.

It's too early in Kevin Love's career to go from possible franchise player to a 3rd fiddle ring-chaser.
He's young enough to go to a new team for a few years, be a star in his own right, put up stats and develop his image.
And hey, if that doesn't work out, he can go join a superteam as a veteran and get his ring and championship posterity. He could have a highly respectable Pau Gasol - like career arc.

So...

Cavs great defensive numbers from the first 2 rounds were an aberration. They came against a bad Celtics offense and a Bulls offense that is super predictable and was figured out after the first game.

...just wanna point out that Cleveland's playoff DRTG actually went down after that game.

(Or in other words, check out that hot take.)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ugh we are sooooo done.

Best two defensive players out, we seem to settle for bad shots every other game when coach isn't riding ass, LeBron is schooling us, and the refs are no help even at home.

Ughhhhhhh

For K-Love, you have to ask if being a third fiddle in the prime of your career is worth it. For a player with HoF potential, I don't think so. I wouldn't blame him for leaving.

I also wouldn't blame the Cavs for leaving him.

Ugh we are sooooo done.

Best two defensive players out, we seem to settle for bad shots every other game when coach isn't riding ass, LeBron is schooling us, and the refs are no help even at home.

Ughhhhhhh

Hoping for the best for Carroll, need a good competitive series for whoever wins to take out the West.

Nothing's over til it's over, I still don't think this is gonna be a quick series.

Ripenen

What about living in LA vs. Cleveland?

Speaking of that, I was at an Indians game the other day, and low and behold, they put up a banner at the park for our Wild Card season where we went one and done. lol

I know it was a good year, but the way it ended, eh was just another sad reminder. At least your Marlins won in 97 >____>

fuck the Marlins. People down here don't even give a shit about them. Of all the franchises to win a fucking World Series...ugh.

fuck you, Jose Mesa.

What about living in LA vs. Cleveland?

living in LA would be preferable, but winning rings should probably be more preferable. And with the money he'll have, he can spend an inordinate amount of time in LA if he wishes.

For K-Love, you have to ask if being a third fiddle in the prime of your career is worth it. For a player with HoF potential, I don't think so. I wouldn't blame him for leaving.

I also wouldn't blame the Cavs for leaving him.

I can't disagree either. But there have been plenty of teams that have had dynasties and 3 eventual HoF players on their rosters during their primes. See: Lakers, Celtics, etc.

Does Kyle Korver just suck in the playoffs? He really struggled on that Bulls 10-11 team and he's shooting 9 percentage points worse than Derrick Rose did in the playoffs from 3!

Does Kyle Korver just suck in the playoffs? He really struggled on that Bulls 10-11 team and he's shooting 9 percentage points worse than Derrick Rose did in the playoffs from 3!
Well I mean...the difference between the regular season and playoffs is that teams can gameplan to address the problem you present. Kyle is seeing much better defense on him over the last couple of series' compared to what he's used to in the regular season. He's rarely wide open. In addition, I'm sure he feels heightened pressure to hit shots. Maybe even moreso now with the one guy maybe being out multiple games. Pressure still bursts pipes.

AkuMifune

Banned
korv.gif

LMAO, Couldn't move out of the way fast enough.

The best NOPE.gif.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

His slump started before the regular season ended to be fair.

Sadly I hate to say this as an Atl fan, but I feel earlier in the season was his once in a life time streak. Now he's just come back down to Earth.

Probably doesn't help that he has all of the 3 point pressure on him with Thabo out.

Fjordson

First team All-NBA:

Stephen Curry
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
James Harden
Marc Gasol

Second team:

LaMarcus Aldridge
DeMarcus Cousins
Pau Gasol
Russell Westbrook
Chris Paul

Third team:

Blake Griffin
Tim Duncan
DeAndre Jordan
Klay Thompson
Kyrie Irving

Also receiving votes: Kawhi Leonard, Paul Millsap, Al Horford, John Wall, Jimmy Butler, Damian Lillard, Draymond Green, Zach Randolph, Jeff Teague, Andrew Bogut, Nikola Vucevic, DeMar DeRozan, Rudy Gay, Andre Drummond, Gordon Haywood, Kyle Korver, Joakim Noah, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler, Mike Conley, Brook Lopez, Kevin Love, Kyle Lowry, Khris Middleton.
Splash bros officially an All-NBA backcourt
banderas.png

Seriously.. prigs was ballin to against the clips lol.
I can't really get mad about JR Smith, almost every Knick fan wanted him off the team last season and they would be lying if they say anything to the contrary. I'm glad for him though and hope he continues killing it.

If you really want to further the Knicks helping the Cavs angle, Mozgov could be counted as well.

jman2050

Korver was running to cover the three point line which is fine. He was hilariously out of position to do anything other than foul Lebron on the play and there was no one else there to help so he was in a bad spot the whole play.

Afrikan

That whole presser with Riley Curry was hilarious. The yawn cracked me up the most for some reason.

yeah the peekaboo one was what got me....she straight disappeared for a sec, then popped up.

speaking of which, and Mark has been classy on the commentary team....and this is wrong, but still funny.

CFixlvdUIAAEVtb.png

Fjordson

yeah the peekaboo one was what got me....she straight disappeared for a sec, then popped up.

speaking of which, and Mark has been classy on the commentary team....and this is wrong, but still funny.

CFixlvdUIAAEVtb.png
Lmfao. Goddamn.

Riley-hide-and-seek.gif

You can see Steph feeling around trying to corral her lol.

So...

...just wanna point out that Cleveland's playoff DRTG actually went down after that game.

(Or in other words, check out that hot take.)

I'm assuming that means their rating got better? Anyway I could be wrong. I forgot to take into account Love's absence, so that would be a big addition by subtraction. Cavs really need to let him walk this summer. These playoffs are clearly showing that Thompson brings much more to the team.

I'm assuming that means their rating got better? Anyway I could be wrong. I forgot to take into account Love's absence, so that would be a big addition by subtraction. Cavs really need to let him walk this summer. These playoffs are clearly showing that Thompson brings much more to the team.

I'm actually not sure that this is even mostly on Love's absence (insofar as it's because of Love himself), so much as it's a testament to Blatt's coaching ability that he has this team pulling out some of the postseason's best defense when probably a third of the roster is best described as "crypt keepers" and another third ain't exactly known as defensive stalwarts. (Low sample size, and you have to take the quality of opponent into account, but both components of the Cavs' net rating are actually worse than they were in the Boston series, when Love was actually starting to objectively be used properly.)

If I'm David Griffin, I probably try to reup both Thompson and Love - the defensive issues with Love probably get ironed out to the point of passability with another year or so and his injury issues are somewhat less potent if the next man up behind him isn't a 200 year old James Jones or Shawn Marion, but that offense stays disgustingly good (and both of them have some of the most key roles in it).

Side note: glad to hear the Carroll injury's only a bone bruise, though I'm still cringing every time I think of it (because those hurt like fucking hell)

Its gonna be extremely hard for the rockets to pull this one off without Howard. Hardens basically gonna have to give his fourth quarter game he had in game one throughout game 2 and Ariza will have to keep playing the way he did. Also Josh Smith needs to play the way he did in the Clippers series, not how Josh Smith usually plays (like he did last game)

Hopefully Capella can be an X factor and really step up his play. He had some seriously badass blocks last game.

Top Bottom