• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA PLAYOFFS |OT| One man's Smith.. Is another man's treasure.

njean777

Barea has an amazing amount of energy.

Dallas has a lot of heart. And Houston is really not that good. When JJ Barea becomes your focus, you are not going to make it past the second round. A Howard team will never win a championship. Just an empty vessel.

"not that good" but somehow a not good team made it to the playoffs.... the fuck?

The game was trash, I suspect the rockets to beat them next game tbh.

C4Lukins

Howard's FTs hurt tonight, be he's hardly the problem for this team.

When JJ Barea is your only hope to win a game, your front office has done a poor job of putting a team together.

The joke was that Barea beat you. Not that he is going to win a championship, but that our third point guard won this game.

You have three top tier point guards to defeat after beating the Mavs. Houston is just not there yet. Although I think you guys will have a good shot against the winners of the Spurs Clipper series. I would call you underdogs, but you can beat those two teams.

Vyer

The joke was that Barea beat you. Not that he is going to win a championship, but that our third point guard won this game.

You have three top tier point guards to defeat after beating the Mavs. Houston is just not there yet. Although I think you guys will have a good shot against the winners of the Spurs Clipper series. I would call you underdogs, but you can beat those two teams.

I don't disagree about the point guard situation. But the loss of Beverly hurts a lot there. If they get past the Mavs the Spurs would be the better shot if Parker is still a little slowed I guess, but both match ups are going to be huge problems.

But I really don't think that's on Howard. Outside of this game's FTs, he's done about as much in every Rockets playoff game as could be asked, if not more so. He makes a huge impact defensively and last year was pretty much the only one that showed up consistently. The problems that will keep this team from advancing are really elsewhere.

Edit: also, what Dallas had as their '3rd point guard' was probably the best PG on your team. Rondo was a dumb move from day one. He hasn't been good for two years.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Charles vs analytics discussion again? Heh. I wonder if the Houston GM is gonna respond to Charles/Kenny on their "Houston is not a top 10 defense" comments.

dream

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/jr-smith-nervous-as-hell-about-possible-suspension/ar-BBiIfKd

Jr. Smith explaining what happened.

He should be out for the whole playoffs not for the shot but for this hysterical description of the events.

“He was cutting into the lane after the shot had been shot, I tried to box him out,” Smith said. “As I’m boxing him out, I just kept feeling is forearm on my head. Tried to keep backing up, but he kept pushing. Unfortunately, I tried to swing my arm loose thinking it was the best way to get my arm up in position to rebound and we made contact.

“There was nothing malicious about it. I didn’t try to do anything to hurt him or anybody else. That’s not the way I play the game and unfortunately I got a flagrant 2. I let my teammates down. We still advance, but it’s still not a good feeling going into the next round.”

Nope.

Definitely not the way you play the game.

Lttp but great response by Clips. Even made me a couple of bucks in Vegas.

Also Mavs need to work on the FT's. They won but they were horrible at the line if I was hearing it right.

overcast

uhh they definitely played worse with Rondo that's for sure. They've been worse since the day they got him.
Sure, but the Rockets won those 3 games because they are the better team. If the Mavs come back and beat us I'll eat my words, but we were better all season and still are. Teams 2-6 were close for most of the season and the Mavs were trailing for the most part (although SA struggled in the first half).
when is Beverly expected to come back anyways?
He's out for the playoffs. As is Dmo.

Jason Terry has been our starting PG all series, so JJ might actually be better.

2mOoNu9.png

I'm just going to leave this here..

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/jr-smith-nervous-as-hell-about-possible-suspension/ar-BBiIfKd

Jr. Smith explaining what happened.

He should be out for the whole playoffs not for the shot but for this hysterical description of the events.

“He was cutting into the lane after the shot had been shot, I tried to box him out,” Smith said. “As I’m boxing him out, I just kept feeling is forearm on my head. Tried to keep backing up, but he kept pushing. Unfortunately, I tried to swing my arm loose thinking it was the best way to get my arm up in position to rebound and we made contact.

“There was nothing malicious about it. I didn’t try to do anything to hurt him or anybody else. That’s not the way I play the game and unfortunately I got a flagrant 2. I let my teammates down. We still advance, but it’s still not a good feeling going into the next round.”

That is one huge pile of shit

Tom Penny

I wanna pour one out for poor Jae Crowder. Wouldn't have happened if he was still in Dallas :/

GYC5t1i.gif

Perk smacked him in the side of head after that too and didn't get tossed...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/does--...rigue--023954774.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Boston has been no sure thing to lure Love, but it had a better shot than most had believed. If Love left the Cavaliers, the Celtics had closed the gap on the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Bush League Olynyk cost Boston banner 18. They could use some classy players

yXb2eJ.gif

Given all of the sweeps and non-competitive first round series we've seen, they really should roll this shit back to a best of 5 series. I get it, a seven game series guarantees at least 1 extra game and more games = more money but, man, the whole round feels like it's just going through the motions.

knicks

Given all of the sweeps and non-competitive first round series we've seen, they really should roll this shit back to a best of 5 series. I get it, a seven game series guarantees at least 1 extra game and more games = more money but, man, the whole round feels like it's just going through the motions.

It's a nightmare. They should seriously consider making it a best of 5 again. Money literally ruins everything.

Tom Penny

The first thing I believe they will do for a start is division winners do get a playoff berth but they will reseed. The will not switch the amount of games because of $$. They really should be putting in the best 16 teams but that won't happen either.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I miss the 5 game series, good teams sweep bad teams faster and it gives the chance of an ok team to surprise a good team.

This is all revisionist. 2 weeks ago, the western conference first round was slated to be the best ever.

7 games are fine. I like the lesser likelihood of fluke victories.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I hate Kevin Love so much. Can't believe he is crying about "bush league" after what the dirty plays the Cavs did. I understand LBJ supporting his teammate, but I'm glad no one else is really calling it a dirty play and intentional.

stephcurry2.png

what are you saying, gully?

I said nothing...

That gif is so hilarious. If he wasn't famous, he'd probably get carded for going to R-rated movies..
If you are implying what I think you are. Davis might get 140 million dollar contract. You guys have David Lee still on your roster at 15 mil for next year try moving that first Lol.

He's an expiring contract after this season and I can't imagine Lee staying after this season anyways... Myers is going to cash that chip in, if not during the offseason, then by next season's trade deadline..

Right before, Olynk committed a "bush league" play:

vuckjqoooarru0egaoac.jpg

Kevin Love has only shown himself to be a headcase and whiner all season. Shit, Lebron called him out multiple times during the season as well. I hope Westbrook comes and saves his ass in LA after the Lakers over pay for him.

spyder_ur

I don't really feel strongly about the 5 game vs 7 game thing, but I wouldn't use this year as any kind of example to go back to 5. Just last year we had, what, 5 7 game series? Plus Lillard's heroics finishing off the Rockets in 6? The first round was awesome last year. If you put a healthy Portland and OKC and a non-Rondo'd Mavs team in there, things would look drastically different.

I think I prefer the 7 game series anyways. Better flow and give me the extra game or two of Clipper-Spurs vs having to wait an extra 4 or 5 days for a series to wrap up.

spyder_ur

He's an expiring contract after this season and I can't imagine Lee staying after this season anyways... Myers is going to cash that chip in, if not during the offseason, then by next season's trade deadline..

It's weird how imprudent long-term deals go from being albatrosses to assets during the last year of said deal.

Right before, Olynk committed a "bush league" play:

vuckjqoooarru0egaoac.jpg

Kevin Love has only shown himself to be a headcase and whiner all season. Shit, Lebron called him out multiple times during the season as well. I hope Westbrook comes and saves his ass in LA after the Lakers over pay for him.

holding an arm and yanking an arm are two very different things. players hold and grapple for position on potential rebounds all the time. somehow arms don't usually get pulled out of sockets along the way. that said, I didn't think Olynk had any malicious intent behind the yank in and of iteself. It was just an awkward angle and his yank caused real damage.

I also don't think JR Smith was intentionally trying to lay homeboy out. He crumbled like Mayweather caught him trying to give dap after the ref says "fight". I've never seen someone hurt themselves after flopping, but I guess there had to be a first time.

As for Love in general: very unfortunate. If he's out for 2 weeks, he'll miss at least the first 2 games. Those are still quite winnable for CLE since they're home games. Love will be needed in CHI to have a chance to steal one (or steal one back). James Jones and Miller will have to be able to hit their shots during their increased playing time and Thompson is going to have to continue being that man on the glass.

Mozgov's ability (or inability) to stay out of foul trouble will largely dictate how those games will go for CLE.

Praying the Bucks can take one more off Chicago so that we can get a little more rest and time for Love to recover.

How does the scheduling work anyways (in terms of when games are played not seeding?). I'm a bit confused....do everyone just wait until all teams have played through each round before the next round starts? Or do they simply start playing once their next opponent is decided? I ask this because the Warriors don't play until Sunday (or was it Saturday?) at the earliest...

Was Kendrick Perkins ever good at basketball???

I mean, yeah, he seemed to fit in with those super talented Celtics teams but did he ever have a lick of talent???

He seemed decent at defense but he's a roster spot and nothing else and has been for a while.

By the way:

Reporter: "Tom, any thoughts on the Kevin Love injury?"
Thibodeau: "No.
Reporter: "How about possible JR Smith suspension?
Thibodeau: "No."

ampere

I hate Kevin Love. Not happy he got hurt, but seriously screw that guy. Too bad for the Cavs they didn't keep Wiggins the Legend.

If he wasn't famous, he'd probably get carded for going to R-rated movies..

I love Curry, but being famous isn't enough to prevent him from getting carded sometimes... haha

By the way:

Smart man. Finish the series and stay professional is his strat.

spyder_ur

holding an arm and yanking an arm are two very different things. players hold and grapple for position on potential rebounds all the time. somehow arms don't usually get pulled out of sockets along the way. that said, I didn't think Olynk had any malicious intent behind the yank in and of iteself. It was just an awkward angle and his yank caused real damage.

Yeah, anyone and everyone has said that the act of holding and pulling arms is normal amongst big men. What made this outcome so negative was that unlike most of the time where big men are relatively stationary, in this case they were chasing a loose ball and love got stretched in two directions.

I also don't think JR Smith was intentionally trying to lay homeboy out. He crumbled like Mayweather caught him trying to give dap after the ref says "fight". I've never seen someone hurt themselves after flopping, but I guess there had to be a first time.

You seriously think he was flopping? He got hit in the freaking face by a professional athlete. The way he crumbled was indeed weird, and very scary.

I mean, yeah, he seemed to fit in with those super talented Celtics teams but did he ever have a lick of talent???

He seemed decent at defense but he's a roster spot and nothing else and has been for a while.

By the way:

Lol did that really happen? Good answers though. They aren't facing the Cavs right now.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

As for Love in general: very unfortunate. If he's out for 2 weeks, he'll miss at least the first 2 games. Those are still quite winnable for CLE since they're home games. Love will be needed in CHI to have a chance to steal one (or steal one back). James Jones and Miller will have to be able to hit their shots during their increased playing time and Thompson is going to have to continue being that man on the glass.

Mozgov's ability (or inability) to stay out of foul trouble will largely dictate how those games will go for CLE.

Praying the Bucks can take one more off Chicago so that we can get a little more rest and time for Love to recover.

You're about the only person on the planet if you think JR's swing was unintentional.

They wanted to but GM LeBron made that very stupid call.

What type of organization lets a player runs things???

Embarrassing.

Desperate franchises.

Nonsense.

The blow was more than a slap and he went down like he was knocked out.

If he was faking it, he wouldn't have went down so naturally.

They've gotten good at flopping these NBA players but that is clearly not a flop.

Fjordson

JR's shit is almost as clear cut as Perkins' obvious goonery. The guy lives for silly bullshit like that.

For some odd reason I have a feeling he'll get off easy, but he should miss a handful of games at least.

spyder_ur

He was a legitimately good defender and rebounder, but I wonder if even that was overstated given that he was playing next to the guy who is probably the best help/team defender of the last 15-20 years. It is kind of hard to imagine any better situation for him than those early Celtics years, so it's not shocking that he's regressed and never fit in anywhere else.

spyder_ur

JR's shit is almost as clear cut as Perkins' obvious goonery. The guy lives for silly bullshit like that.

For some odd reason I have a feeling he'll get off easy, but he should miss a handful of games at least.

The Perk stuff was about as transparent as a basketball play can get.

I don't think Smith gets off easy, I am expecting 5 games minimum.

Top Bottom