• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NCAA Tournament March Madness |OT| 67 Teams Vie For Second Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoKKeR

College Basketball really needs to fix scoring. No one scoring for 3 mins is sad.
30 second shot clock! We had it in Vandy's game yesterday for the NIT and I thought it made a big difference. We scored 92 points, incentivizes faster possessions.

DarkFlow

Banned
30 second shot clock! We had it in Vandy's game yesterday for the NIT and I thought it made a big difference. We scored 92 points, incentivizes faster possessions.
I would like a NBA 24 second clock. As it is now, you can eat up over a min if you take it down, hit thenrim and get it back. Most the time they stand around at half court for 15 seconds doing jack shit.

DarkFlow

Banned
There was a decent grantland piece on the state of offense in today's game: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/college-basketballs-scoring-problem/

tl;dr, the student-athlete rhetoric the NCAA uses forbids it from adjusting the game to a more commercial friendly format
Yeah I read it and the SI one and agree with every word. It's broken, they know it's broken but won't fix it till people stop watching. I don't think that will happen till we get 10 point half's, and I can totally see that happening.

College Basketball really needs to fix scoring. No one scoring for 3 mins is sad.

I'm all for the 30 sec shot clock and fewer stoppages of play, but really,would ND/Butler have been somehow more exciting if it had been in the 80s or 90s?
It's like Pitino said, no defense would make it like watching an all star game, ie a total bore.

There are definitely some tweaks that can/should be made, but the college game is what it is right now, and I think this weekend has proven that it can still be as compelling as ever, whether the games are defensive struggles or barnburners like Ole Miss/BYU.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
The ability to slow the game down and control the pace is one reason why I like the college game more. It's more tactical.

Yep. It's one of the reasons I love how UVA plays basketball. They just play like a good team -- that team is truly a team whose whole is greater than its individual parts. A team that can impose its will on another team is just fun for me to watch. It's a game of minds as much as it is a game of athleticism.

There are definitely some tweaks that can/should be made, but the college game is what it is right now
I think this is what it ultimately comes down to. Shortening the shot clock or moving the restricted area out a foot or 2 isn't changing the fact that the model the NCAA features is what's killing the game. High major programs will still pump young talent in and out of their schools year in and year out, coaches will still emphasize defense because that's the biggest area they can impact their chance of winning, as soon as the cream rises to the top in the college game the NBA will still consume it. Those tweaks would increase overall ppg (and imo they should be implemented), they wouldn't change the bigger picture. The shot clock isn't the reason ppg have been continuously slumping over the past 15 years.

Shrennin

Honestly, I just wish the NCAA would remove that stupid rule about forcing high school players to play one year of college basketball before going pro, but that's just me. I would rather the NBA and college basketball itself be different -- you can like either one (or even both) for different reasons. The NBA is more about following players while college basketball should be more about following teams.

DarkFlow

Banned
Honestly, I just wish the NCAA would remove that stupid rule about forcing high school players to play one year of college basketball before going pro, but that's just me. I would rather the NBA and college basketball itself be different -- you can like either one (or even both) for different reasons. The NBA is more about following players while college basketball should be more about following teams.
What? Only Bandwagon fans do that shit. I'm a Suns fan till I die, I didn't start liking the Lakers cause Nash started playing there.

Fjordson

There was a decent grantland piece on the state of offense in today's game: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/college-basketballs-scoring-problem/

tl;dr, the student-athlete rhetoric the NCAA uses forbids it from adjusting the game to a more commercial friendly format
Missed this, pretty interesting piece.

Definitely hope some changes will be made soon, college basketball is a wreck right now. Still great in March, but the average game during the year is just painful to watch. Even some of these tourney games have been pretty ugly.

Shrennin

What? Only Bandwagon fans do that shit. I'm a Suns fan till I die, I didn't start liking the Lakers cause Nash started playing there.

That's just the impression I get from the NBA. It just doesn't seem as team focused as college basketball can be. I could be wrong, but like I said, it's just the impression I have gotten. I don't personally like the NBA all that much while I love college basketball. I also didn't necessarily mean that fans abandon their teams when good players leave, but rather that players are often given the spotlight over the team as a whole in the NBA.

I'm all for the 30 sec shot clock and fewer stoppages of play, but really,would ND/Butler have been somehow more exciting if it had been in the 80s or 90s?
It's like Pitino said, no defense would make it like watching an all star game, ie a total bore.

There are definitely some tweaks that can/should be made, but the college game is what it is right now, and I think this weekend has proven that it can still be as compelling as ever, whether the games are defensive struggles or barnburners like Ole Miss/BYU.

There's good defense, and then there are players short arming lay-ups, bricking uncontested mid range jumpers, airballing threes.

It's colossal offensive ineptitude, and nobody wants to see that.

Fjordson

That's just the impression I get from the NBA. It just doesn't seem as team focused as college basketball can be. I could be wrong, but like I said, it's just the impression I have gotten. I don't personally like the NBA all that much while I love college basketball. I also didn't necessarily mean that fans abandon their teams when good players leave, but rather that players are often given the spotlight over the team as a whole in the NBA.
The NBA is a star driven league to be sure, but the actual quality of play is incredibly high right now. The best teams really do play as a team and it's a blast to watch. Spurs did it last year, Warriors and Hawks are doing it this year, just to name a few. The on-court product in general is just really, really strong these days.

It's a minor league, what do you expect?
It hasn't always been like that, though. There's been a well-documented decline.

There's good defense, and then there are players short arming lay-ups, bricking uncontested mid range jumpers, airballing threes.

so, just to make this clear, you're arguing the state of college basketball's unwatchability is due to a wide trend in the player's inability to put the ball in the basket, not the fact that the game is allowed to be played more physically than it ever has been in the past

Fjordson

so, just to make this clear, you're arguing the state of college basketball's unwatchability is due to a wide trend in the player's inability to put the ball in the basket, not the fact that the game is allowed to be played more physically than it ever has been in the past
Both of those are issues.

The player ability thing is kinda bizarre and I'm not really sure what it means or how it could be fixed. Definitely seems like kids simply can't shoot these days. Maybe high school coaches are slacking on the shooting drills :lol

It's a confluence of factors, but the "they're playing good defense!" excuse only goes so far when Rutgers scores 26 points total across 40 minutes.

Call a spade a spade. It's shitty basketball.

Both of those are issues.

The player ability thing is kinda bizarre and I'm not really sure what it means or how it could be fixed. Definitely seems like kids simply can't shoot these days.
kids adapt, straight up. I don't believe that, for whatever reason, players have inexplicably lost the ability to get the ball into the basket. They can't score points because they're allowed to be crowded by the opposing team. Space on the court is a luxury, defenses are allowed to choke offenses, the offensive numbers we're seeing in today's game reflect that. The irony is, despite the NBA's standard for athletes being way higher, the level of physicality involved in both games is comparable, and yet one is anemic and the other is the healthiest it's been in 20 years.

It's a confluence of factors, but the "they're playing good defense!" excuse only goes so far when Rutgers scores 26 points total across 40 minutes.

Call a spade a spade. It's shitty basketball.
I don't buy that argument because it often boils down to some "players lack fundamentals nowadays" shit. I take exception to it because it places too much fault on the players themselves. I don't want to blame amateur student-athletes™ with the diluted game we're getting right now; I don't want to hold them accountable for the marketability of a product that they are the face of despite not being compensated for.

alstein

I would like a NBA 24 second clock. As it is now, you can eat up over a min if you take it down, hit thenrim and get it back. Most the time they stand around at half court for 15 seconds doing jack shit.

Would just mean more rushed shots and hero ball. 30 is probably best. Women can do 30, why can't men?

I think going to international rules on timeouts might help- don't allow coaches to call TO's only players. Overcoaching is the real issue.

Would also like to see 3-pt line pushed back.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Shot clock needs to go to 30 or less.

Perimeter play is over officiated. Stop that.

Paint play is under officiated and too physical. Stop that.

Players stay in college 2 years or can go straight to the NBA or d-league.

NBA needs to treat D-league like a true farm league and not a carney side show at the state fair.

The overall skill level of the NBA is better, but its not because of the rookies entering the league, where a lot of them can't play defense or make FTs.

eznark

Banned

Ratings are generally equal to the NBA playoffs so I guess no one wants to watch basketball at all?

alstein

Shot clock needs to go to 30 or less.

Perimeter play is over officiated. Stop that.

Paint play is under officiated and too physical. Stop that.

Players stay in college 2 years or can go straight to the NBA or d-league.

NBA needs to treat D-league like a true farm league and not a carney side show at the state fair.

The overall skill level of the NBA is better, but its not because of the rookies entering the league, where a lot of them can't play defense or make FTs.

I agree with all of that.

One idea: allow teams to draft players out of high school, even give them contracts, but they can't play in the NBA until the season they turn 21. A team retains rights to a player until the season they turn 21. Rookie contract rights are determined by age.

Players, if they go to college, can sign a contract with the NBA team but are ineligible for the D-league until that season so they have to stay in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom