• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NCAA Tournament March Madness |OT| 67 Teams Vie For Second Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill1148

Banned
Tief for second right now and it looks like I'm also tied for second in possible points. Hope UNI and Gonzaga pull through today, those could be big winners for me.

Sotha_Sil

Well, I picked Villanova to lose in the second round, but I thought it would be my Tigers getting the job done. :(

7 of my Elite 8 still alive, but I really need Virginia to pick it up, I have them as the runner-up.

24-18

I love the Wahoos, but their offense is some ugly shit. Michigan is playing hard...but not hard enough for Virginia to only have 18 points at the half.

How does anyone watch this unskilled brand of basketball? (mind you, I LOVE basketball teams that play good defense)

Talon

That's just the impression I get from the NBA. It just doesn't seem as team focused as college basketball can be. I could be wrong, but like I said, it's just the impression I have gotten. I don't personally like the NBA all that much while I love college basketball. I also didn't necessarily mean that fans abandon their teams when good players leave, but rather that players are often given the spotlight over the team as a whole in the NBA.
You know what the biggest difference is? Talent. NBA players aren't going to clank open 18-footers half the time or titter around on the perimeter for a solid 20 seconds without making a move towards the key.

College-only fans need to stop conflating "good defense" in college with "bad offense."

Accept the two for what they are. These college matchups are exciting because the teams are mostly unfamiliar with each other and inexperienced -> upset city. The NBA is the highest level of basketball. College basketball is fun because it's a shitshow.

DominoKid

24-18

I love the Wahoos, but their offense is some ugly shit. Michigan is playing hard...but not hard enough for Virginia to only have 18 points at the half.

How does anyone watch this unskilled brand of basketball? (mind you, I LOVE basketball teams that play good defense)

Games like this are terrible. I wont even try to defend it and I love college basketball.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
24-18

Yeah that John Beilein is a one hell of a coach.

Ratings are generally equal to the NBA playoffs so I guess no one wants to watch basketball at all?

People are tuning in to watch upsets, not the actual basketball that's being played.

Vast majority of the NBA playoffs are not elimination games.

You know what the biggest difference is? Talent. NBA players aren't going to clank open 18-footers half the time or titter around on the perimeter for a solid 20 seconds without making a move towards the key.

College-only fans need to stop conflating "good defense" in college with "bad offense."

Accept the two for what they are. These college matchups are exciting because the teams are mostly unfamiliar with each other and inexperienced -> upset city. The NBA is the highest level of basketball. College basketball is fun because it's a shitshow.

This. NBA teams don't reset for 5 seconds after their first action doesn't produce a decent look. They swing the ball and go into their second P'n'Rs, their side P'n'Rs. The ball doesn't stop because the good teams don't actually rely on scripted sets. They let their players play by feel because they're good enough to do that.

Don't act like the college game hasn't taken a few massive steps backwards since the one and done became such a big factor. Teams from the late 90's-early 2000's were a lot better to watch because most players had been around a few years to gain chemistry playing with each other.

iamblades

Don't act like the college game hasn't taken a few massive steps backwards since the one and done became such a big factor. Teams from the late 90's-early 2000's were a lot better to watch because most players had been around a few years to gain chemistry playing with each other.

Correlation =/= causation.

In this case it's especially clear because most of the teams that play the ugliest ball are the teams that don't have one and dones. When's the last time MSU or UVA had a one and done?

The grind it out physical defense style is an adaptation to a talent disadvantage caused by the one and done players, but mostly it's just a reaction to the way refs have been calling the game the last decade. If refs aren't going to call the bumping and hacking and slapping, you put yourself at a disadvantage if you don't follow along.

It is not a situation where players somehow forgot how to play offense, and you can see this when two teams who just want to play ball meet up with a crew of refs that actually call fouls.

If you get a team or two that want to play physical and body up on offensive players and the refs let them get away with the bumps and shoves, you are going to get shit offense no matter how many years of experience those offensive players have.

Talon

The one and done hardly affects a majority of the 300+ D-1 schools. It's not like each school has a token potential lottery pick suiting up.
Theyre kind of like the carolina panthers of college basketball.
The press row better be careful with their laptops.

eznark

Banned
If you want to watch the NBA why not watch the NBA and stop whining about the state of college basketball?

Also bizarre the number of people who want to "solve" the college basketball "problem" by stripping 18 year old kids of their rights and freedoms.

Talon

If you want to watch the NBA why not watch the NBA and stop whining about the state of college basketball?
How about you stop bitching about bitching?

Everyone here watches both. College ball is never going to be NBA ball, just like High School ball is never going to be college ball. It is what it is.

This is like 90s Knicks Heat except they're throwing rocks at each other instead of clubbing each other with shovels.

Also bizarre the number of people who want to "solve" the college basketball "problem" by stripping 18 year old kids of their rights and freedoms.

Because college basketball used to be way better? I'd want to enjoy both because I actually did 10 years ago.

eznark

Banned
Izzo gets all the calls

Because college basketball used to be way better? I'd want to enjoy both because I actually did 10 years ago.

10 years ago when everyone was talking about how Wisconsin was destroying CBB. We succeeded!!

Talon

Buick sales are up 15% year over year and 2014 was the best year in brand history. Buick = Honda in China
A 15% jump over absolutely nothing is still nothing. "Motorola's sales are up 20%. Nevermind that we sold like garbage last year~"

Why would I give a shit about car sales in China? Are these NCAA ads for brand affinity in China?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom