• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NCAA Tournament March Madness |OT| 67 Teams Vie For Second Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterR

They're very very good, but it's a down year for CBB in general.

In the last 10 years I think 07 Florida, 09 UNC, and 12 Kentucky are demonstrably better than this year's Kentucky. You could have an argument for 05 UNC and even 10 Kentucky as well, even though that Wall/Cousins team didn't win the championship.

I disagree. This team is a much better team than 10 UK and 05 UNC. They are in the same class as 07 Florida, 09 UNC and 12 UK. They are just as good at those 3.

I disagree. This team is a much better team than 10 UK and 05 UNC. They are in the same class as 07 Florida, 09 UNC and 12 UK. They are just as good at those 3.

No that's the best College Basketball team since the Duke/UNLV teams. This Kentucky team is not on their level. Depending on how the rest of the tourney goes they might surpass 09 UNC and 12 UK, but 07 UF is out of reach.

MisterR

No that's the best College Basketball team since the Duke/UNLV teams. This Kentucky team is not on their level. Depending on how the rest of the tourney goes they might surpass 09 UNC and 12 UK, but 07 UF is out of reach.

They were a great team, but you are way overrating them. They lost 5 games, including 4 to unranked teams.

MisterR

Oh, and the best team since the Duke/UNLV teams was 1996 UK, without a doubt. They would mop the floor with this years UK team, 07 Florida or any other recent team.

JB1981

Oh, and the best team since the Duke/UNLV teams was 1996 UK, without a doubt. They would mop the floor with this years UK team, 07 Florida or any other recent team.

Agreed. The '96 UK was insane. Antoine Walker, Tony Delk, Ron Mercer, Derrick Anderson, Jeff Shepard, Anthony Epps, Walter McCarty, Nazr Mohammed and more.

Well, well

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 4m4 minutes ago
BREAKING --- St. John's has parted ways with Steve Lavin, the school announced. Story coming.

I don't really follow sports so I'm sure the answer is something incredibly obvious, but why would they not just have these games in the Toyota Center? It's still in Houston, but it's a dedicated Basketball area/Hockey Arena. NRG Stadium (I didn't realize it was no longer called Reliant Stadium) definitely seems like a dumb choice.

$$$

The football stadiums have more seats and thus more tickets sold and more bodies in the building multiplies all the ancillary revenues (parking, merchandise, concessions).

Even with half of the seats blocked for the basketball court layout, NRG Stadium still will hold twice as many people as the Toyota Center can. That's a lot of money for the NCAA to bring in.

What they've now finally realized though, is that it's hurting the product, especially for the on-location fans. Too many seats are too far away from the court or have awkward viewing angles that don't let them enjoy the action. And the weird sightlines occasionally hurt shooters on the court as well.

Fjordson

Agreed. The '96 UK was insane. Antoine Walker, Tony Delk, Ron Mercer, Derrick Anderson, Jeff Shepard, Anthony Epps, Walter McCarty, Nazr Mohammed and more.
Yeah, that team was nuts. Other than natural athletic and size differences in players as time goes on, that's one of the best teams I've ever seen.

It's a shame the 2010 Kentucky team didn't win the title or at least make it to the final four. Sort of lowers them in the discussion when talking about great teams. But when you think about them having Demarcus Cousins, John Wall, Eric Bledsoe and Patrick Patterson it's crazy.

MisterR

Yeah, that team was nuts. Other than natural athletic and size differences in players as time goes on, that's one of the best teams I've ever seen.

It's a shame the 2010 Kentucky team didn't win the title or at least make it to the final four. Sort of lowers them in the discussion when talking about great teams. But when you think about them having Demarcus Cousins, John Wall, Eric Bledsoe and Patrick Patterson it's crazy.

2010 was a great collection of talent, and I loved them for bringing us back from the Tubby and Billy G eras, but they never played defense like this years team and they had an obvious weakness that we all knew could bite them in the ass. The lack of outside shooting. Now if Meeks had come back for his senior year, then that team would have been almost unstopable.

MisterR

They also laid the smack down on UCLA and OSU teams full of future NBA pros.

When's the last time a college team had two All-NBA centers on their roster?

They were a great bunch. But they didn't have any depth and I'm sorry but a team that lost 5 games to the likes of Vandy, LSU, FSU, ect. isn't the "best team since the UNLV/DUKE teams". I think Cauley-Stein, Towns, Johnson would match up fairly well against college Horford and Noah.

Fjordson

2010 was a great collection of talent, and I loved them for bringing us back from the Tubby and Billy G eras, but they never played defense like this years team and they had an obvious weakness that we all knew could bite them in the ass. The lack of outside shooting. Now if Meeks had come back for his senior year, then that team would have been almost unstopable.
Yeah, that shooting was brutal. That WVU loss in particular was torture to watch =[

bachikarn

They were a great bunch. But they didn't have any depth and I'm sorry but a team that lost 5 games to the likes of Vandy, LSU, FSU, ect. isn't the "best team since the UNLV/DUKE teams". I think Cauley-Stein, Towns, Johnson would match up fairly well against college Horford and Noah.

Vandy was an Sweet 16 team that year (and a controversial late call away from going to the elite 8), and the FSU loss was cos some players being out sick. No excuse for losing to LSU but we were in a funk that month.

Regardless, there is a difference between how good a team is and what they have accomplished.

FireCloud

here's hoping all the lower-seeded teams win Friday

lol no. NC State and UCLA can get fucked.
image.php

lol. Do I sense some bitterness? Ouch.

Go Pack!

iamblades

Comparing the teams is kind of difficult because they all 3 had completely different strengths.

2010 was the most athletically gifted, but was not a very skilled team in terms of execution.

2012 was great at execution but had no real depth.

2015 is kind of in between in terms of execution, but they have unspeakable amounts of depth.

Right now if you were starting an NBA team with one of those rosters, I think I'd take 2012, because AD is that good, and with that core nucleus of AD /Jones / MKG you already have a decent front court and a great defense

2010 might have more pieces because Patterson puts them over the edge, but if you reassembled that roster in the NBA today you may run into the same types of spacing and shooting issues. Patterson is still the best shooter on that team. You could say that the 2012 team doesn't have any NBA level shooters either, but it has room to add them. I believe you could take that 2012 front court and put basically any above replacement level back court players in the NBA and you would have a winning team, while I'm not sure you could plug the holes on the 2010 team as easily.

2015 might/should surpass both teams if the players put in the work to fulfill their potential, but you can say they will do that as of yet.

Always seems weird to me when you try to compare teams from different generations. I mean how much has the game changed in ten years? Probably quite a bit.

Mrbob

If they turn the ball over like against Xavier they will. Still it should be a good game.

Can't count on that. Arizona will probably play much better than they did against Xavier. The Badgers haven't put together a great game yet in the tourney so hopefully they can step it up as well. If the Badgers want to keep winning, Dekker needs to stay aggressive. He can do things no other Badgers player on the court can do and he has size to his advantage as well. If he goes back to being passive then Wisconsin will lose.

Kacar

Not sure why they put Grant Hill on the broadcast. Would of just preferred Jim and Bill.

Had he done any color commentary before this tournament? I know he does stuff for NBAtv.

Fjordson

Not sure why they put Grant Hill on the broadcast. Would of just preferred Jim and Bill.

Had he done any color commentary before this tournament? I know he does stuff for NBAtv.
He has, but yeah, like most Duke guys on TV not named Jay Bilas he's pretty terrible.

The original plan was Jim and Greg Anthony. But GA got into legal trouble and they decided to replace him with Hill.. My guess is they are using Bill Raftery to train and groom Hill this tournament so that he can be ready to carry color commentary in next year's tournament.

As for prior work, he's mostly done studio stuff for NBAtv and Inside the NBA on TNT. He's done a bit of color for CBS (college) this season though.

Lol "its always affected the shooting" .

But this is the fourth time they have been here wtf.

I'll say that when Duke played here in the 2010 south regional, they struggled a bit in terms of overall FG percentage in the Sweet 16, which was at night against Purdue. They made 3s at their regular clip though, as they did against Baylor (an afternoon game) in the Elite 8.

2011 was just a travesty in every way. Top 5 worst championship games of all time.

We're now seeing why UCLA was an 11 seed.

They can't defend and they're a one trick pony on offense. Take that one trick away from them and...it all goes to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom