• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NHL Playoffs |OT| The King Is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the biggest problem I have with some of the officiating/disciplinary actions. It all comes down to IF the other player was hurt.

The league wants these huge hits as do the fans.

Of course if someone gets hurt they have to pretend that they care about safety.

Took getting to Game 7, but the salt is here.

I have never seen a more one-sided, hilariously biased, poorly officiated game than that one. Every single ticky-tack call went against Tampa, while the Red Wings get away practically murder the entire game. I guess it's not enough that they interfere with every player away from the puck, but now they had to throw blatant head-hunting into the mix as well. Watch Kronwall not even get a fine, much less a suspension, for such a massively illegal hit because 1) the NHL doesn't have the balls to suspend someone for a Game 7, and because 2) Kucherov was okay after the hit and that always seems to absolve dirty players from blame.

But even with everything in the world working against the Lightning tonight, they won DECISIVELY. I can't ever question the heart of this team again after that performance. Also huge props to Cooper for the insanely brilliant idea of throwing his lines into the blender every single shift early in the game to get away from Babcock's matchups and jump out into the lead. Almost enough to forgive him of his treatment of Drouin. Almost, but not quite.

TLDR Ref Wings can fuck right off, and TYLER FUCKING JOHNSON is now officially our franchise player.

That all said, I have no confidence Tampa wins Game 7.
He won't get suspended but the reason is he never has. Injuries or not, the league has always protected dirty players that have a modicum of talent so they can still get the big hit and buzz from that. See the NFL and how they handle things. This is no different, Kronwall has been dirty his whole career and he's pretty much grandfathered at this point. Most of the suspensions for shitty players is a joke so it's impossible to expect good policing for others.

zroid

Banned
matchup table for Bolts/Wings game 6:

JQL0lXO.png

2YDNnQt.png

Datsyuk is a monster of a man. He dominated everyone except Stamkos, Sustr, and Carle.

The Sustr/Carle pairing was very very good last night.

Wow, Tampa won and some of you are still way salty.

matchup table for Bolts/Wings game 6:

Datsyuk is a monster of a man. He dominated everyone except Stamkos, Sustr, and Carle.

All I see is colored squares, next to other colored squares.

Calamari41

41 > 38

It's like every other day there's a new intensely convoluted chart in here that I can't make sense of. I don't think I've ever seen the same data/chart posted twice, either. How are we supposed to know how the colored squares act over time?

I'm saddened by the Isles loss. I don't hate the Caps, nor do I dislike them, but I've gotten sick of their good seasons and playoff failures. I'm sick of cheering for them, and wanted the Isles to do really well.

zroid

Banned
As much as I wanted the Isles to win... for Grabo and Kuley and for my NYR/NYI series...

they were hot garbage last night. it would've been a joke if they won that game. even Johnny T was poop.

As much as I wanted the Isles to win... for Grabo and Kuley and for my NYR/NYI series...

they were hot garbage last night. it would've been a joke if they won that game. even Johnny T was poop.

Those reasons are a large part of why I wanted them to win, as well.

I didn't watch the game, though. Due to my depression, I tend to get bored of watching other teams that aren't my own. Even the Leafs and Blue Jays bore me sometimes, and my interest has waned.

Pikma

Banned
It's pretty unbelieveable how these teams win three games in the series and push for a game 7 just to shit the bed the moment they hit the ice with a garbage performance by the whole team, it's a fucking waste. Not even Tavares played decently yesterday.

They showed some of Kronwall's hits on SportsCentre this morning, and he's definitely been lucky. He's pretty dirty, and definitely targets the head.

Calamari41

41 > 38
This horrible shit needs to be punished, punish the coach, punish the whole team if needed

All you need to do is make a few examples out of teams and the problem will go away. Playoffs are the perfect time to do it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again and again: suspend the player and the coach for Game 7 and see how often it happens going forward.

Montresor

This horrible shit needs to be punished, punish the coach, punish the whole team if needed

So I mentioned something similar on an HF thread and one person was arguing that the principal point of contact was not the head; meaning, it wasn't only Kucherov' head that was hit, as his head AND chest were hit. Kronwall's body knocked Kucherov's head, that's for sure. But Kronwall's body made simultaneous contact with the rest of Kucherov's body as well. And because of that, Kronwall won't be suspended. The principal point of contact was NOT the head so this is a legal hit.

I didn't say anything in response to that - but could that really be in the NHL rulebook?

zroid

Banned
So I mentioned something similar on an HF thread and one person was arguing that the principal point of contact was not the head; meaning, it wasn't only Kucherov' head that was hit, as his head AND chest were hit. Kronwall's body knocked Kucherov's head, that's for sure. But Kronwall's body made simultaneous contact with the rest of Kucherov's body as well. And because of that, Kronwall won't be suspended. The principal point of contact was NOT the head so this is a legal hit.

I didn't say anything in response to that - but could that really be in the NHL rulebook?

I don't know about the rulebook but it doesn't compute... his arm/shoulder (aka the part of the body he led with) went directly into Kuch's head. Yes his head was down but that's not an excuse.

Hell, he even jumped, so at the very least it was a charging penalty. not legal no matter how you slice it.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

Thank god I'm not the only one.

It's like every other day there's a new intensely convoluted chart in here that I can't make sense of. I don't think I've ever seen the same data/chart posted twice, either. How are we supposed to know how the colored squares act over time?

What's the difference between a light blue square, a medium blue square and a dark blue square? What about the other colours?

Ricker

The league needs to start with the refs...how can a referee that's been chosen for the playoffs not give a penalty on Kronwall's hit last night...I know its the playoffs and all but that bodycheck was a little much,he fucking jumped in the air to nail him lol...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
MSG ‏@TheGarden 6m 6 minutes ago
Due to @NYRangers playoffs @TheGarden, #EricClapton’s 70th birthday concert celebration scheduled for May 2 will move to Sunday May 3 @ #MSG
So there's confirmation from MSG that Game 2 will be on Saturday.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
When are the dates going to actually be announced, do you know? It's annoying having tickets but not knowing what I have to actually cancel in order to go to the games.

Schedule for Rangers-Caps at least is expected some time today. I imagine it should be the same for the other set series.

Saturday is also the Kentucky Derby, so it's hiiiiiiiiiiiiiighly likely that Rangers-Caps Game 2 is a noon-ish start.

It's not about screwing a team over another one, it's about the players' safety

I'm aware of that, but honestly and I'll get called out and people will hate me, blah, blah, but it didn't look as bad as some other hits we have seen that were not called for a suspension, but whatever, what happens, happens.

Jinaar

The league wants these huge hits as do the fans.

Of course if someone gets hurt they have to pretend that they care about safety.

Around my group of hockey fans, we don't want hits like that. Again, what good is a sport when all your star players are in hospital beds. Watching replacements from the farm teams isn't what I want to see from watching hockey games.

q_q

Goddammit Detroit you had one job!!! Habs fan here, we need you to come through in Game 7!?@?!
I wouldnt worry too much. The habs will sweep either team they face. You really think the lightning will pose a threat to you guys? They shit the bed twice at home against the wings, you think theyll suddenly wake up against a far superior team next round? Nah. Lightning are the blues of the east, great regular season play but underwhelming in the playoffs.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, my buddy made a comment about that hit right after it happened, but neither of us really cared. It should've been an elbowing penalty, but I don't think it's suspension worthy. The Kronwall hit is a little different, so he'll probably get a fine. Even if he's suspended, I don't care, he's been terrible all playoffs along with DeKeyser. I kinda want both to sit next game.

Socreges

Banned
I wouldnt worry too much. The habs will sweep either team they face. You really think the lightning will pose a threat to you guys? They shit the bed twice at home against the wings, you think theyll suddenly wake up against a far superior team next round? Nah. Lightning are the blues of the east, great regular season play but underwhelming in the playoffs.
... what are you basing this on exactly?

2011 - ECF Game 7
2012 - Missed playoffs
2013 - Missed playoffs
2014 - Swept in 1st round
2015 - Game 7 tonight

I remember at one point late in the season the Islanders could've missed the playoffs. They're a good young competitive team so they can't be too disappointed with their results this year, but there's definitely room for improvement.

The Capitals are getting secondary scoring at the right time. Kuznetsov has more goals than Ovechkin.

q_q

... what are you basing this on exactly?

2011 - ECF Game 7
2012 - Missed playoffs
2013 - Missed playoffs
2014 - Swept in 1st round
2015 - Game 7 tonight
The last two years. Going to game seven in this series is a bit embarrassing for tampa tbh, and i say this as a wings fan. Just my opinion though.

zroid

Banned
The last two years. Going to game seven in this series is a bit embarrassing for tampa tbh, and i say this as a wings fan. Just my opinion though.

you are underrating your own team lol

the wings are one of the best defensive teams in the league and Babcock is a playoff matchup beast. then you have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Nyquist who can create offense at will.

then there's Mrazek making miracle saves.

not sure I would peg this all on Tampa, from an objective standpoint

It's embarrassing? What the hell does that even mean?
Also last two years meaning missed the playoffs and being swept? Why are game 7s only embarrassing for that team?

Socreges

Banned
So, one series loss? For a young team fresh off a rebuild? Not seeing the Blues comparison. Ironically, the Wings are a much better fit for 'Blues of the East'. Haven't made it past the 1st or 2nd over the last 5 playoff seasons.

Though really, the Capitals are the true Blues of the East.

ZeroGravity

It almost pains me to say it but Sustr's been pretty good. He was one of the better players in the playoffs last year too. Blows my mind how someone so terrible in the regular reason can elevate his game that much for the playoffs. He's the opposite of Stamkos.

Speaking of Stamkos, only 13 minutes of ice-time last night. Only forwards who had less were Morrow and Namestnikov. A lot of that was because of how many penalties they had to kill, but that was almost four minutes less than Kucherov who doesn't kill penalties either. Seems Cooper understands as well what's driving this team.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rangers-Caps schedule(s)

new york rangers ‏@NYRangers 13m 13 minutes ago
if det:
1 4/30 @ 7:30 pm (h)
2 5/2 @ 12:30 pm (h)
3 5/4 @ 7:30 pm (a)
4 5/6 @ 7:30pm (a)
5 5/8 @ 7:00 pm (h)
6 5/10 tbd (a)
7 5/12 tbd (h)

new york rangers ‏@NYRangers 12m 12 minutes ago
if tbl:
1 4/30 @ 7:30 pm (h)
2 5/2 @ 12:30 pm (h)
3 5/4 @ 7:30 pm (a)
4 5/6 @ 7:30pm (a)
5 5/8 @ 7:00 pm (h)
6 5/10 tbd (a)
7 5/13 tbd (h)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Apparently the 11 shots by the Isles were the least shots a team has had in a game 7 in HISTORY.

....... yeah they didn't deserve that win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom