• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NHL Playoffs |OT| The King Is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
pzvfaki.png

I don't know how this is calculated so don't ask!

Ducks are apparently a lot better than I gave them credit for prior to the playoffs.

Wild in the higher end huh. Going thorough Chicago and either Anaheim/Calgary is one hell of a steep mountain.

ZeroGravity

Lindback sabotaged you guys. Therrien has our second line as Galchenyuk - DD - Dale fucking Weise. That's what you're up against, a handicap coach.
I really don't think the Lightning would have won that series even with a healthy Bishop. Not that I think Therrien is a particularly good coach, but Cooper didn't adjust to anything he put out there last year. If he's smart, though, he'll study what Detroit just did to us.

zroid

Banned
edit: legit reason, Weber not playing was a massive loss.

I wonder if it really was...

I don't think Weber is that great. Josi carries him more than people realize imo. And before Josi, Suter carried him.

before people jump on me, I've struggled with accepting Weber's bad fancystats for a long time. it's easy to make excuses like he faces tough usage. it's just sort of reached the point now where it's hard to ignore and keep making those excuses.

Nashville should have saved those goals for later in the series.

Weber being missing was a huge blow. Also the Hawks are pretty good when their goaltending isn't bad.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I really don't think the Lightning would have won that series even with a healthy Bishop. Not that I think Therrien is a particularly good coach, but Cooper didn't adjust to anything he put out there last year. If he's smart, though, he'll study what Detroit just did to us.
They were young, all young teams need to go through a playoffs or two. Therrien has 1/20th of the hockey IQ as Babcock, and I'm sure the Lightning will be going in with as much confidence as possible after the regular season. I'm thankful we have home ice for this match up seeing the Lightning don't seem to play as well on the road.

Mentok

Banned
You and I have very different memories about last year.

You had an injured team with a lot of playoff rookies. I don't think the Lightning will make that same mistake. Our ONLY hope is that you guys drained yourselves enough against the Red Wings so that you feel a little burnt during the series (Like how Montreal emptied the tank against Boston last year). I went 5/8 in the first round.

Here are my picks:
Wild - Just to be different...plus there's always that one weird ride. The star power of the Hawks pushed them by the Preds, but they were playing with fire there. 6 games

Ducks - As much as I enjoyed the Flames in the first round, they can't play the Ducks that way. 6 games

Habs - Simply because I can't go against my own team. But in reality I think the Lightning should have it....stupid Therrien's "soff" playoff teams.7 games

Rangers - This team by all measures should win the cup this year. The Caps are up against an all-star goalie and a team that is playoff tested. This will probably be the shortest series of the 2nd round.5 games

EDIT:
Yep, Cooper about to school Therrien once again. Hopefully they end it in 4 games, all blowouts so it forces Bergevin to address some things, IE DD, Emelin & Therrien.
I know I've said this before, but Red_Man we think alike!

high_five_stephen_colbert.gif

Sadly, I see Therrien there next year no matter what. Emelin should be trade bait this summer. I HOPE DD is gone too, but have my doubts on that one. Eller is probably a trade candidate.

ShaneB

I wonder if it really was...

I don't think Weber is that great. Josi carries him more than people realize imo. And before Josi, Suter carried him.

before people jump on me, I've struggled with accepting Weber's bad fancystats for a long time. it's easy to make excuses like he faces tough usage. it's just sort of reached the point now where it's hard to ignore and keep making those excuses.

Eh, agree or not, having that hole on defence was a massive loss.

ShaneB loves advanced stats now!

Bah!! Let's not get carried away here.

zroid

Banned
Eh, agree or not, having that hole on defence was a massive loss.

Not to get too far into this discussion, but Nashville has a REALLY deep defence corps. So you could argue (and some people have in fact) that replacing Weber's minutes with what are perceived to be more adept blueliners like Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, and Jones might have actually improved the team's performance overall.

some of the numbers do support this although the sample size without Weber is pretty small

anyways... moving on!

Red_Man

Sadly, I see Therrien there next year no matter what. Emelin should be trade bait this summer. I HOPE DD is gone too, but have my doubts on that one. Eller is probably a trade candidate.
If DD is on this team and Eller is not next seaosn, it will say a lot about where Bergevin's head is at.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
First Round Predictions:

MTL vs. OTT (7 games).
NYR vs. PIT (sweep).
WSH vs. NYI (7 games).
TB vs. DET (6 games).

ANA vs. WPG (7 games).
VAN vs. CGY (7 games).
NSH vs. CHI (6 games).
STL vs. MIN (6 games).

5/8. Meh.

NYR vs. WSH (7 games)
MTL vs. TB (7 games)

ANA vs. CGY (7 games)
CHI vs. MIN (7 games)

ShaneB

Not to get too far into this discussion, but Nashville has a REALLY deep defence corps. So you could argue (and some people have in fact) that replacing Weber's minutes with what are perceived to be more adept blueliners like Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, and Jones might have actually improved the team's performance overall.

some of the numbers do support this although the sample size without Weber is pretty small

anyways... moving on!

emmastoneshrug.gif

You win :p

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
If DD is on this team and Eller is not next seaosn, it will say a lot about where Bergevin's head is at.

Eller is doing great in his role, excellent even, while DD is absolutely failing to do anything in his easy-ass role so far in the playoffs, surely Bergevin sees that too.

Red_Man

Saw this on twitter:

Babcock, Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg winning 1 Stanley Cup together should be a nice reminder that thing is really effing hard to win
When you put it that way, things start getting really depressing.

Eller is doing great in his role, excellent even, while DD is absolutely failing to do anything in his easy-ass role so far in the playoffs, surely Bergevin sees that too.
I assume he sees that, but it's hard to judge. He keeps everything to himself, and Eller is one of our few tradeable players. I don't know who would ever want DD at this point.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Saw this on twitter:

When you put it that way, things start getting really depressing.

I assume he sees that, but it's hard to judge. He keeps everything to himself, and Eller is one of our few tradeable players. I don't know who would ever want DD at this point.

Somebody took Clarkson, anything is possible. I have a hard time seeing the value of a small, terrible defensively, 50 point centreman too, but we'll see.

With Eller gone it forces Plekanec back into an almost pure shutdown role, and Galchenyuk would be forced to take on tougher shifts as a centre because DD can't handle them.

We need a Real Centerman. What Centers will be up for grabs after the season is done?

Joe Thornton!

Mentok

Banned

I think Eller has more trade value than DD. Although, they both are 3.5 mil with DD's contract ending sooner. It's really a toss up with what Bergevin is thinking. DD is very energetic, but that's about it. We already have a better all-heart player in BGally. The longer they don't put AGally at centre, the more I HATE Therrien.

Red_Man

I think Eller has more trade value than DD. Although, they both are 3.5 mil with DD's contract ending sooner. It's really a toss up with what Bergevin is thinking. DD is very energetic, but that's about it. We already have a better all-heart player in BGally. The longer they don't put AGally at centre, the more I HATE Therrien.
This has been my biggest issue with this season. We wasted another year of AGally's development at wing, when Bergevin has repeatedly said he's going to be a center long term, and for what? So DD can ride Patches coattails. Meanwhile AGally scored more goals in his 10 games at center than DD has in 100+ games. It's so frustrating.

Marvie_3

Banned
This has been my biggest issue with this season. We wasted another year of AGally's development at wing, when Bergevin has repeatedly said he's going to be a center long term, and for what? So DD can ride Patches coattails. Meanwhile AGally scored more goals in his 10 games at center than DD has in 100+ games. It's so frustrating.

You guys could have Michal Rozsival on your top pairing.

I know I'm late but seriously, fuck you red wings, you destroyed my bracket. On the other hand I now get to watch game 3 because if the wings won it conflicted with my schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom