• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| Villanova has no fans so this is their thread

Proelite

Not a single time before the season began, or during the season did I believe we'll be a great team.

Too much talent concentrated in too few roles is a recipe for let down.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure we missed K tonight, honestly, but man would Amile have been helpful. I hope he comes back healthy and not hobbled, whenever that is. Anyone know what the latest is? Is he still day-to-day? Indefinite? Will he play on Saturday?

So if K comes back in early-to-mid February (let's say in time for UNC), and we assume Amile is good to go by then, that gives us...8 games or so before the ACC tournament to gel a bit and try to build some momentum? That's not so bad?

scoobs

I'm enjoying Dukes troubles so far this season. Will make it all the more unbearable when they're cutting down the nets in April.

I'm enjoying Dukes troubles so far this season. Will make it all the more unbearable when they're cutting down the nets in April.

I mean they lost to

2 top 10 teams, 1 other top 25 team, all of which either on the road or on a neutral court.

I don't look at Duke as having "troubles", especially considering their injury luck. I look at them as an incomplete, unfinished team that has to go through the grinder of the ACC.

They're probably going to lose at Louisville on Saturday too. And they'll take 3 or 4 more losses in conference as well.

That's less a sign of Duke being in a trouble and more just a sign of high level college basketball just being really difficult.

Proelite

Trump is about to be president.
MS took a big L.
Duke got beat by Florida school.

America losing big starting 2017.

scoobs

I don't think its that big of a deal, but I just don't understand what it was if it wasn't a shove. Like.. that is a shove by every definition of the word.

Proelite

I don't think its that big of a deal, but I just don't understand what it was if it wasn't a shove. Like.. that is a shove by every definition of the word.

Maybe it was a shove to avoid collision on the upper body? I won't put it past Grayson to get in a cheap shot while tumbling into the stands though. He has too much skill at generating ESPN articles.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

lol come on man. If he hadn't put out his arms at all he still would've gone flying into that coach and knocked him over. It's instinct to put out your arms to try to brace a fall when you've flying at full speed about to run into something. You're telling me you'd just leave them at your sides all nice and tucked in? It would've been worse for Gates if Grayson had grabbed him instead, which is another common defensive reaction.

Just because we can all watch in in slow motion now doesn't mean there's enough time to even have the thought "gee, I'm pissed off, I'm going to shove this guy".

Lower body did connect first and there was obviously no way to avoid the collision on Grayson's part.

There's definitely a push with his hands as they're falling but fwiw I think he would've done that to anyone from either teams bench.

https://twitter.com/coachdgates/status/819182695834062848

Dennis Gates ‏@coachdgates 3 hours ago
I want to make this very clear! #givegraysonabreak @ESPN @TDOnline @Warchant @Noles247 @GraysonJAllen @DukeMBB

C15SUCPXAAEHVkb.jpg:large

scoobs

lol come on man. If he hadn't put out his arms at all he still would've gone flying into that coach and knocked him over. It's instinct to put out your arms to try to brace a fall when you've flying at full speed about to run into something. You're telling me you'd just leave them at your sides all nice and tucked in? It would've been worse for Gates if Grayson had grabbed him instead, which is another common defensive reaction.

Just because we can all watch in in slow motion now doesn't mean there's enough time to even have the thought "gee, I'm pissed off, I'm going to shove this guy".

He pushed, that is what a shove is. He didn't reach out to stop his fall. Its a shove, I can't imagine how you could see it as anything else.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
He pushed, that is what a shove is. He didn't reach out to stop his fall. Its a shove, I can't imagine how you could see it as anything else.

Maybe because the coach himself doesn't see it that way?

A shove signals intent. He did reach out to stop his fall. Reached out right towards Gates. If he grabs Gates to slow down his fall, then this gets really ugly.

Again, where else is he going to put his hands? Towards the ground, so he risks breaking his wrists? Have y'all ever even played any kind of contact sport before?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I appreciate the FSU assistant coach trying to diffuse this one because a) he thinks its overblown b) he'd rather the media talk about how FSU is actually good. Maybe XRM needs to steal some crab legs.

What will ESPN talk about during college basketball when Allen is gone? It'll be like cancelling part of First Take for them.

scoobs

Maybe because the coach himself doesn't see it that way?

A shove signals intent. He did reach out to stop his fall. Reached out right towards Gates. If he grabs Gates to slow down his fall, then this gets really ugly.

Again, where else is he going to put his hands? Towards the ground, so he risks breaking his wrists? Have y'all ever even played any kind of contact sport before?

I mean, whatever you have to tell yourself I guess. My eyes aren't deceiving me.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, whatever you have to tell yourself I guess. My eyes aren't deceiving me.

If you only use your eyes to analyze a situation, you're doing it wrong. You're limited to a feed on a TV streaming a single (or a limited set of) angle from a camera dozens of feet away. I think Gates had a slightly better view of the situation than you did from your armchair ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Feel free to keep the hate train running though and go back to watching frame by frame YouTube clips of Grayson's entire college career.

scoobs

I'm not hating, like i said in an earlier post, i dont think its a big deal, but i'm kind of baffled anyone would try to defend this as anything other than what it is. He is very clearly shoving his arms out, it is not an arguable thing. Whether there was intent or not, now that is a different story altogether. It may have been a natural reaction, in fact I'd probably bet on that... but to say he didn't even do it? Nah man.

I'm much more offended by your attempts to claim he's not shoving the guy, than the act itself.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not hating, like i said in an earlier post, i dont think its a big deal, but i'm kind of baffled anyone would try to defend this as anything other than what it is. He is very clearly shoving his arms out, it is not an arguable thing. Whether there was intent or not, now that is a different story altogether. It may have been a natural reaction, in fact I'd probably bet on that... but to say he didn't even do it? Nah man.

I'm much more offended by your attempts to claim he's not shoving the guy, than the act itself.

No one is arguing that Grayson didn't barrel into the guy and knock him over. It boils down to: did he specifically go after Gates as he was flying out of bounds? Did he go out of his way to knock him over? The reality is that he did not. He would've collided with him regardless, no matter where he stuck out his hands. His hip and lower half made contact before his hands and arms did. This is backed up by Gates' comment:

It was our lower body that made the most contact. The results from that impact is what put me on my back not a shove.

I'll leave it at that. You can continue to label what happened however you want. At the end of the day, that's just semantics and completely misses what's actually being debated. Feel free to be offended I guess.

#DukeNation
‏@TheDukeNation
In case people were wondering, Amile Jefferson will NOT play tomorrow @ #14 Louisville (per @PaulBiancardi).

L
L
L
L
L
L
LLLLLLLLLLLLLL

This will probably be the best 8-10 loss Duke team K's ever had!

When we're on, we're on. We've got so many good outside shooters too that even if one or two have an off night, someone else can step up.
Yup. Just need to make more free throws at clutch time. :(

PAC-12 conference too stronk.. #3 in the nation but still 3rd place in conference correct?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I really thought Duke would be rolling everyone by now. Think injuries may have thrown them off.

It doesn't help that they don't have a true PG. Allen has looked decent in the role in the GT and BC games but its not been consistent enough to suggest its a long term solution. If Duke fans want to be mad at someone, it can be Derryck Thornton's dad.

I'm already over it. I'm not giving up on the team necessarily, but if it crashes and burns then so be it. I'm already more excited about Duke's football team having an actual spring game this year than anything the basketball team is doing. And when you are more excited about a team's prospect when they went 4-8 vs one thats supposed to be a national title contender then it may be a sign that the sport itself no longer interests you.

Duke wining the national title this year in basketball is more interesting in the schadenfreude it will provide Grayson Allen than anything it does for me as a Duke fan.

Fjordson

It doesn't help that they don't have a true PG. Allen has looked decent in the role in the GT and BC games but its not been consistent enough to suggest its a long term solution. If Duke fans want to be mad at someone, it can be Derryck Thornton's dad.

I'm already over it. I'm not giving up on the team necessarily, but if it crashes and burns then so be it. I'm already more excited about Duke's football team having an actual spring game this year than anything the basketball team is doing. And when you are more excited about a team's prospect when they went 4-8 vs one thats supposed to be a national title contender then it may be a sign that the sport itself no longer interests you.

Duke wining the national title this year in basketball is more interesting in the schadenfreude it will provide Grayson Allen than anything it does for me as a Duke fan.
Interesting. What about Frank Jackson? Or is he more of a scorer?

Proelite

I can only give so many years of passion from my life to a single cause. I think at this point, I've felt and experience it all with Duke bball, the lows and highs multiple times. If we crash or if we make the FF I don't think my emotions would change that much. This era of one and dones only serves to intensify the disconnect that I feel with the team.

This must be how Uconn women's bball fans and Alabama football fans feel.

Top Bottom