• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| Villanova has no fans so this is their thread

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
So is the WatchESPN app just not working? Still thinks the game hasn't started.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Do any of these freshmen really look like 1st rounders to anyone? Giles is the closest on ability but still has a way to come back from injury. Tatum is a ball hog, Bolden and Jackson couldn't make an DL team right now. I'm starting to think the hype here was wayyyy overblown.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Do any of these freshmen really look like 1st rounders to anyone? Giles is the closest on ability but still has a way to come back from injury. Tatum is a ball hog, Bolden and Jackson couldn't make an DL team right now. I'm starting to think the hype here was wayyyy overblown.

Tatum and Giles definitely. Injuries definitely slowed down their development, particularly learning how to play defense at the college level. But the athleticism and talent is there.

Frank and Bolden? They're not leaving.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Tatum and Giles definitely. Injuries definitely slowed down their development, particularly learning how to play defense at the college level. But the athleticism and talent is there.

Frank and Bolden? They're not leaving.

Bolden may not be leaving for the NBA, but the transfer rumors have already started about him. Granted a lot of people may be misreading his body language.

What is next year's class supposed to be like? Is there a true PG? I'd rather Duke not make the tourney at this rate than get bounced by whoever is this year;s Lehigh or Mercer, because right now, thats totally going to happen.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Bolden may not be leaving for the NBA, but the transfer rumors have already started about him. Granted a lot of people may be misreading his body language.

What is next year's class supposed to be like? Is there a true PG? I'd rather Duke not make the tourney at this rate than get bounced by whoever is this year;s Lehigh or Mercer, because right now, thats totally going to happen.

I think this team will end up more like UK in 2014 when they lost all those games but put together a run at the end of the season. I think we just need more time and to get healthy.

No idea what next year's class looks like. I think most transfer rumors are bunk, we hear them every year.

Proelite

I think this team will end up more like UK in 2014 when they lost all those games but put together a run at the end of the season. I think we just need more time and to get healthy.

No idea what next year's class looks like. I think most transfer rumors are bunk, we hear them every year.

We have a transfer every year. Someone is going to transfer.

My guess is one of Giles or Bolden.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I can't remember the last time Duke blanked so bad on recruiting, 2006 maybe? Ready for the VCU killshot in march.

EDIT: FSU currently jobbing to UNC. I for one am shocked.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
We have a transfer every year. Someone is going to transfer.

My guess is one of Giles or Bolden.

Everyone said Jeter and Obi were transfer locks.

Also, Giles? Huh?

I think people are expecting too much from these kids who essentially are playing their very first college games in a very tough ACC and no cupcakes for warmup. For Giles it's been like 2 years. Let's wait another 12 games before we decide they're overrated.

edit: I'm surprised no one has tried to bait me with the clip of Grayson getting slapped in the face yet

Proelite

Everyone said Jeter and Obi were transfer locks.

Also, Giles? Huh?

I think people are expecting too much from these kids who essentially are playing their very first college games in a very tough ACC and no cupcakes for warmup. For Giles it's been like 2 years. Let's wait another 12 games before we decide they're overrated.

edit: I'm surprised no one has tried to bait me with the clip of Grayson getting slapped in the face yet

Oops. I meant Jeter.

He clearly deserved it. C'mon son.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Oops. I meant Jeter.

He clearly deserved it. C'mon son.

Sure, but that's also sort of irrelevant. This won't get any coverage, but when Grayson dives after a ball into the other team's bench, or knocks into a guy fighting over a screen, it covers ESPN's front page. It is what it is.

Agree.

It's not like they're out here losing to bad teams. Giles/Bolden/Tatum are all in early season stage in terms of development. Their conditioning, their understanding of the game and of each other is what you would expect from guys who are playing in early December. They just happen to be playing against top 25 teams in conference instead of Little Sister of The Poor A&M like most freshman would be playing at this stage of their development.

Duke will lose games. A lot. But if Jefferson comes back, they still have a chance to be formidable come tourney time.

Fjordson

Wow, ESPN is breaking down every physical play Grayson was involved in today. He's messed up a few times, but it's getting a little overboard lol.

Good win for UK today. They're better than I thought they'd be, but Lunardi has them as a 1 seed right now. Definitely think that's overrating them.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Agree.

It's not like they're out here losing to bad teams. Giles/Bolden/Tatum are all in early season stage in terms of development. Their conditioning, their understanding of the game and of each other is what you would expect from guys who are playing in early December. They just happen to be playing against top 25 teams in conference instead of Little Sister of The Poor A&M like most freshman would be playing at this stage of their development.

Duke will lose games. A lot. But if Jefferson comes back, they still have a chance to be formidable come tourney time.

And it's not even just about games played. People don't really consider how important practices are, not just for the individuals but also the team, in terms of cohesion and learning the offensive and defensive systems. I saw on Twitter that they have Nolan Smith suiting up just to have enough bodies out there.

Reminds me of 2013, when Seth literally couldn't practice and only played in games.

RR30

Normally UK is getting better defensively at this point of the year. They are getting worse though somehow. Can't guard ball screens or stop a drive. No rim protector either. Don't like that combination come March though this team is a ton of fun to watch and could beat anyone when they are hitting shots.

scoobs

Kansas won.

Ok back to Duke talk. Out of all the 5 stars at Duke, who you think is smashing the most baberinos on campus?

Fjordson

Normally UK is getting better defensively at this point of the year. They are getting worse though somehow. Can't guard ball screens or stop a drive. No rim protector either. Don't like that combination come March though this team is a ton of fun to watch and could beat anyone when they are hitting shots.
Agreed. Defense could burn them, but offensively they're pretty damn fun.

Briscoe actually hitting open 3's is a nice development. And Wenyen is starting to become a beast on the glass.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly don't believe this. There are ALWAYS baberinos on college campuses, doesn't matter the university.

You'd be surprised. I can vouch that from 2006-2010, there were a very limited number on campus, and most did not hang out with non-lax-playing plebs like Duke Basketball players.

But the answer for this team? I'd put my money on Jack White.

I can make a...highly educated guess but Imma keep that information within the Duke family.

But yeah, generally 404's right. Baberinos are at UNC, not Duke

Gonzaga stays undefeated. This is I think our best team ever. The year we got a 1 seed was more of a fluke because Olynyk played out of his mind. We're way more balanced this year with all of our starters being pretty good and having 3 decent bench players as well.

Phew survived today's game against the Utes. But won on a weird fashion. Up by 3 and Utah went for a 2 pt shot at the buzzer..lol

Also anyone see the highlights of the Colorado St game? I caught the back end but crazy salty people during and after the game

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So Michelle Beadle says that someone needs to knock Allen out. Classy organization you're running there Mr Skipper.

Maybe NC State isn't any good. They lost to Georgia Tech at home to fall to 1-4 in the league.

Dennis Smith Jr should transfer midseason and claim he's in a graduate program.

Villanova is #1 in the new AP poll, Kansas #1 in the Coaches SID poll. I think this means it kicks over to the House of Representatives to decide.

Duke is #18 in both.
Too high.

Proelite

I wonder what seed we will get if we lose all our remaining away games and win our home games. And win the ACCT.

Is it just me or is college basketball more...hostile than normal this year?

Seems like we have players fighting players, players fighting coaches, players arguing with fans, coaches arguing coaches all the time now.

Maybe Grayson (
or ESPN to be completely honest
) put some negative energy in the air.

Is it just me or is college basketball more...hostile than normal this year?

Seems like we have players fighting players, players fighting coaches, players arguing with fans, coaches arguing coaches all the time now.

Maybe Grayson (
or ESPN to be completely honest
) put some negative energy in the air.
It has been hostile. Even hearing small schools getting into it. Who's to blame?

Kevtones

So that 7'6'' Mamadou player from UC Irvine has his agent across the hall from my office.

He has to duck to get into the elevators. Also, he wears joggers.

WVU on upset alert. This last play they said could have been a charge (called a blocking foul) even though defender was sliding into him while he went up.

OT we go!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamnit WVU.

Same as last time we were 7th a couple weeks ago. Shit the bed against a mediocre team and lose primarily due to missed free throws. 4 for 9 in OT. SMH.

impirius

Florida went 0-16 from the 3 tonight. First time we haven't hit one in a game since 1992.
THAT'S FAKE NEWS! It was 0-17. UF still managed a better FG% than SC despite that. What a weird game, especially in the early going.

edit: That was a 850 game streak for UF. That's crazy.

It's gonna be Monk vs Thornwell in the 2nd half.

Cal going to a 2-3 zone is a smart move but I don't know if we are going to apply it well enough to be efficient.

Briscoe seems to anticipating foul calls too often. His confidence hasn't been there the last two games it seems. Having trouble holding on to the ball.

Top Bottom