• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| Villanova has no fans so this is their thread

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Tatum's fine. I wish he'd be around for another year or three, but his role is a scorer, but he just didn't finish well after getting to the rim.

Duke's problem is they have a lot of scorers but not a single distributor. Duke got away with it in 2010, but this team probably isn't going to be so lucky.

Actually, in losing at home to NC State, I'm pretty sure they're automatically relegated to the CBI.

Even though having Scheyer at PG was something of a risk, that team was easy to figure out where the parts fit. Scheyer, Singler and Smith shoot, everyone else rebound and play D with the occasional putback. And because K had so many tall players that weren't laterally quick, he game up M2M for packline and it worked like a charm.

I usually bag on K because I don't think some of his schemes fit the personnel, its hard for freshmen to play overplay M2M and he's so reluctant to change from that. This year, schemes are irrelevant. This team is a dumpster fire, broken on every level. I have no idea how he can fix it without really making some drastic and controversial changes.

That being said, if I'm K Tatum doesn't see the floor for a long long long time.

NewLib

Banned
Even though having Scheyer at PG was something of a risk, that team was easy to figure out where the parts fit. Scheyer, Singler and Smith shoot, everyone else rebound and play D with the occasional putback. And because K had so many tall players that weren't laterally quick, he game up M2M for packline and it worked like a charm.

I usually bag on K because I don't think some of his schemes fit the personnel, its hard for freshmen to play overplay M2M and he's so reluctant to change from that. This year, schemes are irrelevant. This team is a dumpster fire, broken on every level. I have no idea how he can fix it without really making some drastic and controversial changes.

That being said, if I'm K Tatum doesn't see the floor for a long long long time.

Frankly would the team be better if they just benched Allen? Ran with Jackson, Jones, Kennard, Tatum, and Jefferson? Maybe Jackson and Jones can combine to one competent PG and the offense would run around Tatum drive and kick game. They be better defensively too.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Frankly would the team be better if they just benched Allen? Ran with Jackson, Jones, Kennard, Tatum, and Jefferson? Maybe Jackson and Jones can combine to one competent PG and the offense would run around Tatum drive and kick game. They be better defensively too.

To be brutally honest, this team would be better if Allen and Tatum were no longer on it.

Capel is probably losing his future Duke head coaching job right now.

Even if it's not 100% his fault, he looks like what everyone thought (and some people still think) Cal is: an outstanding recruiter who isn't a very good X's and O's coach.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

Even if it's not 100% his fault, he looks like what everyone thought (and some people still think) Cal is: an outstanding recruiter who isn't a very good X's and O's coach.

I think Cal has been a pretty good coach, especially if he can get the kids to buy into playing defense. Other than the Nerlens Noel year and the beginning of the 2014 season, his teams have typically performed up to expectations.
Duke is proof that people that say things like "my grandma could coach that team, look at all that talent" has always been complete bullshit. Talent is useless if that talent cannot play together and the better team will always win regardless of star rankings or any of that crap.

RR30

Nah Cal took Memphis and UMass to the very top as well. All Capel has done is get caught cheating at Oklahoma.

This isn't his fault, but I never thought he'd be the next coach for Duke. I thought they would hire a short term guy while looking for a long term replacement. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want to be the guy that had to replace arguably the greatest coach ever.

C29vzStWgAI4NrG.jpg:large

Electric new product choice from the NC State school bookstores.

One of you Staters, please tell me this is fake.

Fjordson

I was totally wrong about this Duke team so far. Though I think there's still a chance they turn it around once K comes back (and if they're healthy).

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So long 18 game win streak Kansas!

Man this WVU team is so hit or miss. Stomp top ranked Baylor, then barely beat Texas and lose to Oklahoma and K State. Then beat #2 Kansas by 16. Smh. Can beat anyone or lose to nearly anyone any given game.

scoobs

I don't think Kansas has won at WVU for 4 seasons now. I knew KU would lose this, but it was nice to see them keep it close until they gave up at the end. KU has no post presence, and has a 0% chance to reach the Final Four, do not pick them in your brackets if you're smart.

This year more than most feels like the talent is spread so evenly across the nation that almost any team can beat any other. Certainly true of the top 20 teams at least.

Grayson Allen for president.

With all the hate he gets outside of Duke, he's like this year's Christian Laettner, if Laettner was a hack who couldn't back up his antics on the basketball court. Maybe Allen will be the reverse Laettner....shitty in college, but an All Star in the NBA

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That was the best GT win in a decade+.

Lammers gonna be all over Sportscenter for that monster dunk.

Okogie looks to be the next GT great. The question is if the plays like this how long will he stay vs going to the NBA.

PS: Sorry Yaboosh

Was looking at USC at home under new coach and they at .700. Lob City was in full effect last night. Lil Alford has been struggling bad the last 2 weeks. Better now to struggle than to get near tournament time at bad shape

The thing I noticed last night is that USC seemed to know how to get it Ball's head, they let him drive and when he tried to kick out they forced turnovers. And every time UCLA got close USC always managed to answer. I can't remember if it was all from Enfield timeouts or not though.

The sad thing for the Trojans is that is probably the only time their home court will sell out all season.

The thing I noticed last night is that USC seemed to know how to get it Ball's head, they let him drive and when he tried to kick out they forced turnovers. And every time UCLA got close USC always managed to answer. I can't remember if it was all from Enfield timeouts or not though.

The sad thing for the Trojans is that is probably the only time their home court will sell out all season.
That is sad. Lob City is a good team to watch

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Speaking of Duke

Jeff Capel's father, who is also named Jeff Capel and had a lengthy coaching career, has ALS. The younger Capel wrote a piece about it that was published yesterday on The Players' Tribute.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jeff-capel-duke-the-tree/

Just read it. If you are in your late 30s early 40s, and your dad is getting up there in years and you have concerns about that harsh reality, its a must read. Not an easy read, but a must read.

With all the hate he gets outside of Duke, he's like this year's Christian Laettner, if Laettner was a hack who couldn't back up his antics on the basketball court. Maybe Allen will be the reverse Laettner....shitty in college, but an All Star in the NBA

Laettner was an All Star in the NBA.

Syracuse students just stormed the court after beating Florida State in basketball. I no longer recognize the world we're living in.

In other matters, Amile is in a boot.

Stephen Wiseman ‏@stevewisemanNC 38 minutes ago
Duke team arrived at LJVM. Players wearing Duke gear. Amile with a boot on right foot. Coach K not on team bus. That is all

I don't know if this is just his new normal.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Syracuse students just stormed the court after beating Florida State in basketball. I no longer recognize the world we're living in.

In other matters, Amile is in a boot.

I don't know if this is just his new normal.

His bone bruise still isn't 100% healed, its for support and protection. Amile isn't saving the team by himself anyway. Either they come out to play today or we know where the season is going.

His bone bruise still isn't 100% healed, its for support and protection. Amile isn't saving the team by himself anyway. Either they come out to play today or we know where the season is going.

I think we know where the season's going anyway at this point.

All I ask for now is to keep it close in both games against the University of the People and not lose on the first day of the ACC Tourney.

It'd be neat if they could stay ranked too but that ship may have already sailed

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I think we know where the season's going anyway at this point.

All I ask for now is to keep it close in both games against the University of the People and not lose on the first day of the ACC Tourney.

It'd be neat if they could stay ranked too but that ship may have already sailed

I'd rather they lose the rest of the way so there is no question about a post season and K goes scorched earth on the players that do not want to be there.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I think most of this team hates each other. I've never seen anything like this. Even 1995 was trying to deal with not having a consistent alpha dog like Grant Hill so they didn't know how to close games. In terms of talent, we're entering in unprecedented territory here.

I'm expecting some guys to get kicked off the team when K returns, definitely Tatum, and possibly Allen and Bolden. Heck play Amile, White, Vrank, Frank, DeLaurier, Admiral Jr and maybe Giles and Jones off the bench and see how far they go

Top Bottom