• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Hobonichi Techo

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiszMasz

On my way to the pen shop, hopefully i'll find something considering i'm left handed. I also noticed my order has been dispatched from Tokyo :D

Edit: ended up buying a lamy all-star, apparently the color is quite rare as well ^^ got the pearl / champagne version.

Just a heads-up as i've also been getting into Lamy pens recently, their nibs are interchangeable and easily swapped between the different models and they have a left-handed particular nib available too. You might not need it (or might even already have one) but i thought i'd mention just in case you didn't already know.

kdv6ppx.jpg

It begins! I'm aiming to do a drawing once a day, even if it's not too elaborate.

daydream

Banned
need to get a new pen, i think, as mine is pressing through

so, ideally, you wouldn't see a trace of it on the back of the page (i.e. the next day)?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
need to get a new pen, i think, as mine is pressing through

so, ideally, you wouldn't see a trace of it on the back of the page (i.e. the next day)?

You'll see traces. Just so long as it isn't actively bleeding through, you're fine! Tomoe River paper is such a thin, lightweight paper that pretty much any marking will 'ghost' through to the other side. Typically, you should see something like this:

It's only when the ink becomes too saturated and seeps through to the other side that you'll need to worry. Heavier paints, permanent markers and some extremely juicy fountain pen inks will cause bleedthrough, as seen here:

I think pencil lead has the least 'ghosting' out of all the materials I've used in last year's Hobonichi, but almost every page has just about the amount seen in the first picture.

daydream

Banned
ah, well that's good to know, thanks

no bleed-through so far so i think i'm good. been very happy with my entries so far, too. might actually go for the bigger size next year

Raxious

*zwaait*

I kinda had a heart attack when I read your post on page 2 that a Dutch shop was selling these AFTER I had already paid about 70 euro on the Hobonichi webstore, but "fortunately" the Dutch shop didn't have them in stock anymore, lol.

Can't wait to get mine! Time to anxiously refresh my order page every 5 minutes.

Haha, yea I got really lucky seeing as they had only a few copies left. Only downside is that they're not selling any covers, so ordering everything from the JP ( if you want a cover and maybe some more ), that might be the best option to begin with. I paid 55 euros for just the Hobonichi.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I really prefer the smaller size. Super pocketable.

Nopren

I'm not sure what "Retention" means but every single package I've had sent from Japan has had it as a "state" at some point. And all of them have arrived without problems/delays/import taxes.
So hang in there, I'm pretty sure it's just postal-lingo for "in transit".

kubus

Already past customs. status before was 'Processing at delivery Post Office'
Send a tweet to @PostNL with the tracking code and they'll convert it to a 3S code for you so you can see what's up. They should be able to convert the code if it's already past customs.

Edit: google tells me that it could mean that you should be getting a note soon saying you can pick it up at the post office :eek:

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Argh, I want to get a pencil board because I realised that I am etching it a little, but the goddamn shipping is 6x the price of the actual pencil board!

I guess I can justify it if I get something else from the store. Any recs? I'm actually kind of tempted to get another rotring 600 in a different size because god it is just beautiful to write with.

Argh, I want to get a pencil board because I realised that I am etching it a little, but the goddamn shipping is 6x the price of the actual pencil board!

I guess I can justify it if I get something else from the store. Any recs? I'm actually kind of tempted to get another rotring 600 in a different size because god it is just beautiful to write with.
I looked now and found a different A6 pencil board and shipping for $8.27 AUD. https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/224916680/a6-pencil-board-for-hobonichi-or-filofax

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Thanks for that, but I decided that I want to grab a Kakuni pen anyway, so might as well grab that and eat the shipping. Thanks though.

Raxious

Send a tweet to @PostNL with the tracking code and they'll convert it to a 3S code for you so you can see what's up. They should be able to convert the code if it's already past customs.

Edit: google tells me that it could mean that you should be getting a note soon saying you can pick it up at the post office :eek:

contacted PostNL earlier this morning and they said that they tried to deliver it yesterday but no one answered. Arrived about 10 minutes ago and the guy explained that for some reason it was delivered to a completely different address, even though the right address is there there on the box -_-'

Oh well, I now have my cover :) I'll post a picture either later today or tomorrow

Edit: Regret not going for the leather version. Polyester one feels kinda cheap. Also the cover-on-cover adds even more of a cheap factor to it ^^'

contacted PostNL earlier this morning and they said that they tried to deliver it yesterday but no one answered. Arrived about 10 minutes ago and the guy explained that for some reason it was delivered to a completely different address, even though the right address is there there on the box -_-'

Oh well, I now have my cover :) I'll post a picture either later today or tomorrow

Edit: Regret not going for the leather version. Polyester one feels kinda cheap. Also the cover-on-cover adds even more of a cheap factor to it ^^'
Leather works out to be about $300 AUD. Thats mental.

jimwhat

What do you guys put in the pockets of your cover? I use the back pocket for a mini-notebook, but my inside pockets are empty

kubus

Wow that's odd. At least you got your cover now instead of it going into limbo! Yikes. How long in total did shipping take btw?

My order has been saying "Shipping soon" for at least two days now.....

edit: jesus, was on mobile and did not notice the gif was so big, lol. edited now. sorry

Shiv47

Wow that's odd. At least you got your cover now instead of it going into limbo! Yikes. How long in total did shipping take btw?

My order has been saying "Shipping soon" for at least two days now.....

jzc9UkS.gif

I ordered Christmas Eve and it still says "shipping soon" for items that never went out of stock, so far as I can tell. They were on stock when I ordered, they've been in stock the last two times I checked. I guess I need to contact them.

VLEXP

Might as well jump in. Can anyone link me some sites where I can order from the US. Just need the planner, already have good pens.

kubus

I ordered Christmas Eve and it still says "shipping soon" for items that never went out of stock, so far as I can tell. They were on stock when I ordered, they've been in stock the last two times I checked. I guess I need to contact them.
Well, their site and my order confirmation did say the following:

[Holiday Notice]
All orders received on and after December 24 will begin shipping after January 6.
Messages received after December 25, 5:00 PM Japan time will be addressed starting January 7 in the order they were received.
We apologize for the inconvenience.

So we should be seeing some shipment confirmations soon!

kiri

Well, their site and my order confirmation did say the following:

So we should be seeing some shipment confirmations soon!

I'm also on Shipping soon....getting impatient!

At least I have my Grape Instax Mini 8 with a bunch of themed film from Hong Kong ready to go and take pictures!

FEW HOURS LATER EDIT; Just like that....its (finally) been shipped!

G-Pink

Wanted to bring up a really positive customer experience I had recently with Hobonichi.

I ordered my Techo A6 English version back when they went on sale in September, and received it soon after. I didn't bother opening it until New Years Day, since I wanted to switch over as soon as the year was up. Pulled the new Techo out of the plastic wrapping on the 1st, and discovered a small printing error that resulted in the January 1st to 8th pages not bound correctly, falling out of the book when I opened it.

While looking at the Hobonichi site, I discovered that they normally only offered exchanges on defective units within 14 days. Emailed them and explained my situation, and as soon as they were back in the office on the 6th, I received an email notifying me that they would be shipping a new Techo out to me immediately, and to dispose of the one I had.

Really quick service, super helpful, and they absolutely gained a customer for as long as the Techo suits my needs.

I would certainly recommend anyone ordering a Techo to open it when it arrives and make sure it's not defective, but I would bet dollars to donuts that my case was very very rare, considering the care they normally take with the rest of their products.

Pinewood

Uhh, thanks, now Im really tempted to order one. This thread gave me this stupid idea of keeping a daily diary during 2016 and thanks to the higher cost of entry and all this seems like a good incentive to keep filling it.

27€ for the regular one in japanese huh?

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Some Hobonichi resources. Stationery/Pen twitter is a friendly place - most of the stores (Goulet, Jetpens, pocketnotebooks, etc) have accounts with giveaways, they retweet artwork, they'll answer questions. You can find the better known pen and ink people that way. I've made quite a few friends there. I recommend my artist buddy @ivoryocean for ink reviews, pen reviews, and original art. Told her Pete sent you. :)

Tumblr seems to be the best place for Hobonichi stuff. Much of it is of the "holy shit how did they do that???" type. At some point I realized that there are people who must just go to the cafe every day and then record that adventure in elaborate daily drawings. It makes me feel less bad about not being able to do watercolors of neat doggies I see out in the world or whatever. Hobonichilove is the place to start.

I only participate in one Facebook fountain pen group because Facebook is annoying. There are definitely Hobonichi groups out there. They are apparently 99% female and range from very casual and friendly to passive-aggressively competitive with people trying to outdo each other with the most ludicrously overdone renderings of their daily chores. I don't have much trouble looking at it all and being inspired or amused, rather than disheartened and discouraged, but I know some people get bummed that they cannot make museum-quality pages.

Sort of regretting going with the Techo over the Cousin so far this year. I'm hoping it's just a matter of adapting to the more limited space. I'm used to having ample writing space, plus a big block for calligraphy practice. My entries are obviously much shorter this year, and I may move to individual calligraphy letters, or using my smallest pen sizes. The upside might be me using my regular journal more for longer entries. I had enough space in the Cousin that I could touch on a bunch of different things and say just enough that I would not feel the need to write a full entry in another journal. I'm hoping a split approach, with one of my zillion other notebooks, will be just right.

What would I use the pockets for though? Im a complete noob in the diary/planner world.

Pretty much anything you can think of. Can just treat it like another wallet, or include stuff for writing and drawing like rulers or stencil sets or anything else, sticky notes, bookmarks, sticky tabs to mark specific pages.

Pinewood

How much bulk/heft does the case add tho? Im having a hard time trying to decide if I actually need one... Could order one later but shipping is so expensive

How much bulk/heft does the case add tho? Im having a hard time trying to decide if I actually need one... Could order one later but shipping is so expensive
Makes it less pocketable but holds a pen which keeps it shut, is light and the pockets are really handy for extra things like note pads, sticky tabs, and storing paper like invoices and receipts. Makes it much more useable. They threw in a free clear cover which I thought was ugly but as I use this in a kitchen, it's a good addition to keep it clean and dry.

kubus

Getting impatient waiting for my Hobonichi. It's been showing "Dispatch from outward office of exchange" since yesterday morning. Pleaaase move through customs smoothly, I can't handle this january journal entry backlog anymore :p.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My first day with a fountain pen Plumix. I got ink on myself. It leaked ink by sitting on my desk. Man, what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom