• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 NFL Week 4 - At Least You're Not The Browns

RBH

Why haven't there been any Carl's Stone Cold Lock of the Century videos for this season so far? :(

carl_rant_141003_AS.jpg

HvySky

Chargers having a decent win record would throw off the balance of nature and reality. Gotta choke in the 4th quarter to make sure the world doesn't explode.

Kusagari

Pip Rivers stupidly signed a new deal and decided to waste his remaining years on this.

Numerous far better run teams would have bit on him in FA.

Bowser

Cam Newton, Panthers paying heavy price for Moneyball-like approach

In the eyes of the Panthers, Norman was an imperfect match. He lacked elite speed. He had a colorful disposition and attitude. He was expensive. At the end of the day, the argument was they couldn’t give a player like that a franchise cornerback deal. So the Panthers and Gettleman deemed Norman expendable and saw other ways to use his salary slot. They let him go and then extended offensive tackle Michael Oher. They tried (and failed) to get a long-term deal done with Kawann Short. Mostly, they planned for the future – 2017, 2018, 2019 – because in Gettleman’s book, you can’t deviate from the long-term outlook.

But the Panthers should be built to consistently contend for the Super Bowl right now. And teams sometimes have to sacrifice a little down the road to maximize a championship window in the immediate future. After all, what’s the use of stretching out a Super Bowl window if you don’t occasionally take an over-the-top shot to win a title within it?

The Panthers could have taken some more shots this offseason. They could have made a few more moves, spent a few more millions, and not left anyone second-guessing about the imperfections that are becoming more apparent on the roster. Instead Carolina is grappling with this: A 1-3 team that is looking like an inconsistent facsimile of the Super Bowl edition; a pair of subpar offensive tackles; a thin and mediocre set of running backs; a franchise quarterback in Cam Newton who is getting hammered; and a defensive secondary that is seemingly only as good as the front seven makes it.

Ask other pro personnel evaluators about Oher, who was out with a concussion Sunday. What they tell you is this: He’s a mediocre player who is viewed by the Panthers as serviceable largely because he doesn’t require an elite left tackle salary. He is cost-efficient. Sound familiar? And right tackle Mike Remmers, who filled in for Oher on Sunday? One personnel evaluator told Yahoo Sports on Sunday that Remmers likely wouldn’t be a starting tackle for most other NFL teams.

That’s what is protecting the franchise quarterback and defending league MVP. A cost-efficient but mediocre left tackle. A right tackle who is viewed elsewhere as a backup. Meanwhile, the running back depth behind the oft-injured Jonathan Stewart continues to be the less-than-inspired duo of Fozzy Whittaker and Cameron Artis-Payne. The defensive front seven has its own brand of problems, too – with few impact edge rushers to speak of.

It all boils down to this: What’s more important right now – the Panthers’ $19 million in cap space and expanding the Super Bowl window, or the beating being absorbed by Newton, which risks the entire championship opportunity in 2016 and beyond.

25bCIEr.gif

squicken

I'
Nobody's crowning them yet with that horrible defense.

Dan Quinn pls.

Not me. I'd still bet CAR but they really need to show something. Look bad on both sides of the ball right now. ATL though does look like they have a really really good offense. OL, QB, RBs, WRs all solid or better

You really are, haha. But I think those words are a bit redundant.

I thought that the Royals winning last year would make me ease up on the Chiefs, but instead it made me angrier because the Royals took 30 years to win another championship, whereas the Chiefs have had nearly 50.

Dishwalla

Banned
Listened to the Raiders game on Sirius while driving back up I-95, sounded like a good game. Good win Raiders, let's kick San Diego's sorry ass next week.

I thought that the Royals winning last year would make me ease up on the Chiefs, but instead it made me angrier because the Royals took 30 years to win another championship, whereas the Chiefs have had nearly 50.

Do what I do and celebrate having fun, competitive sports teams in KC. This is way better than the cellar dwellers of the past. Spoiler: we're almost certainly
not
going to win the Super Bowl.

Top Bottom