• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 NFL Week 5 - Guess Who's Back?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
xEO38F9.gif
xEO38F9.gif
xEO38F9.gif
xEO38F9.gif

***BADASS ALERT***
xEO38F9.gif
xEO38F9.gif
xEO38F9.gif
xEO38F9.gif
who said i was a badass, im just super busy.

I think it is hard to run any play, even short passes and screens if your o-line can't block. There is only so much coaching can do. I agree with your premise though, but man it is hard for any offense or qb to succeed when the offensive line sucks. Some of that might have been that Minny just has a great defense too.
the line sucks but it doesnt suck that much, there are times like Mech said that he has 3 or 4 seconds to throw and he doesnt make the throw. Give him easier reads, shorter routes, get him into a rythm and get him confidence.

Is this a shoot?
yes, yes it is a "shoot"

dionysus

Yaldog
Saints better than the Panthers because they had a by week. We should have more of those!

And if history holds up next week starts the implosion of the Falcons!

Hindl

The actual Dak v. Wentz in a few weeks is going to be so hype.

Looking forward to it, but isn't it going to be Romo v. Wentz?

Lane Johnson loses his appeal

Bummer but not surprising. Apparently the way he argued it there was no chance of it getting reduced, it was either all or nothing. Well let's see what either Big V or Seumalo/Barbre can do.

Is the quality of football down this year or is that just flawed perception?

Seems like a lot of people feel that way. There is a lot more parity though it seems more previously good teams fucking up than bad teams improving

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
oh yea i forgot, is it too early in the season to flex sunday night football? Ain't nobody want to watch the shit show thats going to to happen in houston on sunday.

Bummer but not surprising. Apparently the way he argued it there was no chance of it getting reduced, it was either all or nothing. Well let's see what either Big V or Seumalo/Barbre can do.

Seems like a lot of people feel that way. There is a lot more parity though it seems more previously good teams fucking up than bad teams improving

Yeah I was surprised to hear that there are different types of appeals and he chose an all or nothing appeal. Such a dumbass.

bionic77

It is hard to trust perceptions.

I mean part of me is fucking flying high as well because of how good the Steelers have looked at times.

Just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

gutshot

Garofalo is reporting that Vaitai will get the start at RT with Barbre staying at LG. I think I would prefer that since Barbre is playing well and I'd rather not mess with him too much. Hope Vaitai is ready.

Beach

Piggybacking on Eznark's tweet. We all make all make fun of the Buc's drafting a kicker in the second round but it's still a better pick than the Jets taking Hackenberg even earlier.

Also, after the Texans and Colts the Sunday Night Football schedule actually looks really good up to Thanksgiving weekend. Should have more high quality prime time games. Can't say the same at all for Monday Night...

Hindl

It is hard to trust perceptions.

I mean part of me is fucking flying high as well because of how good the Steelers have looked at times.

Just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Yeah, I'm speaking more from the NFC side. The AFC is it's usual disastrous self outside of the Broncos, Pats, and Steelers, with recently hot teams like the Bengals and Texans regressing again, and the Raiders being a lone bright spot. But in the NFC, you have the Cards, Packers, and Seahawks looking mediocre, and previously rising teams like the Panthers looking like shit. At least the Falcons and Vikings look good. Maybe we're just seeing a transition where the previous top teams starting to fade with teams that have been mediocre recently becoming the new hot shit, and this season is just going to be the rough change.

Garofalo is reporting that Vaitai will get the start at RT with Barbre staying at LG. I think I would prefer that since Barbre is playing well and I'd rather not mess with him too much. Hope Vaitai is ready.

Yeah once I saw this I was hoping for it too. Makes continuity along the line a lot better, and it seems like Barbre has found his home at LG. Big V is going to be a big step down, Lane has been playing fantastically. But at least his first game is against Washington and not the Vikings. Should hopefully make his transition a bit easier. If he can do well, then hopefully next season we can just shift Lane over to LT, have Big V at RT, have Seumalo take over for Kelce, and have the line like that. That would really let the Eagles go all out getting skill positions and some new LBs for the D

Yeah no.

Two Super Bowl appearances this century (last year!) doesn't mean you get to associate yourself with Dolphins fans.

I mean, it's the same argument I make with the Browns fans all time. Is it better to wake up knowing your team is shit and never will win anything or to have them get your hopes up just to have your heart ripped out by Von Miller or drunk kickers?

:kanyeshrug:

Anyhoo, it was less specifically directed towards Dolphins fans in particular and more just me saying "I hate my team but I cant stop watching my team"

I sat through 1-15, 2-14, and David Carr led seasons and none of them are as disappointing as this one

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Piggybacking on Eznark's tweet. We all make all make fun of the Buc's drafting a kicker in the second round but it's still a better pick than the Jets taking Hackenberg even earlier.

Better pick is debatable, jakncokenberg isn't actively costing his team games. But, we made fun of that pick, too. It's just that the Jest can hide him on the roster.

BigAT

Saying someone is better than a Jets draft pick is not a compliment.

Hackenberg was an awful pick and the Jets deserve shit for taking him, but that is irrelevant when it comes to evaluating the drafting of Aguayo.

bionic77

It has been pretty awful. There have always been bad teams but it seems like the vast majority of the teams are playing bad football.
We have those years every once in awhile though when the good teams are dying and the new teams are emerging.

But there has been a lot of incompetence on display in the first month.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 12m12 minutes ago

Presented without comment: Former Cowboy/Panther DE Greg Hardy is transitioning to MMA fighting.

Hack sucks. But at the end of the day Jets took a chance on a qb in the 2nd, Bucs took a kicker.....
I mean, it's the same argument I make with the Browns fans all time. Is it better to wake up knowing your team is shit and never will win anything or to have them get your hopes up just to have your heart ripped out by Von Miller or drunk kickers?

:kanyeshrug:
Grovo pls

gutshot

Austin Karp
@AustinKarp
ESPN's 6.5 overnight for Buccaneers-Panthers last night is network's lowest Week 5 "MNF" rating since acquiring rights prior to 2006 season

Mindlog

I like parity. The idea that any team can get out there and compete is good goal. However we've seen too much parity born of pure fuckery. This isn't about great players making great plays and coaches making smart moves. Watching a game with teams making glaringly obvious mistakes is an uninteresting as the 50 commercial breaks per quarter. There's too much money in the NFL for the product to be this bad. The competition committee needs its role expanded. Fine coaches who take a timeout after a delay of game.

The Bucs suck.
Go Bucs!
Anyhoo, it was less specifically directed towards Dolphins fans in particular and more just me saying "I hate my team but I cant stop watching my team"
9zyk78y.gif

squicken

So we'll see now with the Eagles and Lane being gone. I would think it wouldn't matter much given how fast they get the ball out, and they are high on the backup. At least it isn't Denis Kelly

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I like parity. The idea that any team can get out there and compete is good goal. However we've seen too much parity born of pure fuckery. This isn't about great players making great plays and coaches making smart moves. Watching a game with teams making glaringly obvious mistakes is an uninteresting as the 50 commercial breaks per quarter. There's too much money in the NFL for the product to be this bad. The competition committee needs its role expanded. Fine coaches who take a timeout after a delay of game.

The Bucs suck.
Go Bucs!

The CBA is a huge part of the blame.

There's just not enough practicing happening.

The other part is trying to mold players from the college game into the NFL game. Without all those practices, that becomes even more difficult.

Is the quality of football down this year or is that just flawed perception?

I don't think the quality is down, I just think the array of teams that are good are not really what was expected. the NFC Beast has 3 teams over 500. It's going to be a super tight division. I just think there haven't been a ton of close games that were exciting to watch, but we're finally getting that this week. Eagles/Lions was a good game to watch. Last night it came down to a kick. San Diego/Oakland was exciting. Close/exciting games are finally happening.

So we'll see now with the Eagles and Lane being gone. I would think it wouldn't matter much given how fast they get the ball out, and they are high on the backup. At least it isn't Denis Kelly

I think Vaitai is going to be alright. He was pretty highly graded in the preseason, and Wentz gets the ball out fast, has good pocket awareness, and can move and throw the ball on the move. Redskins have an average at best pass rush this year I think, too.

The difference between the college and pro game has increased. Too many college QBs get their plays from cue cards on the sidelines, and don't line up under center. That also has a huge impact on oline players, where we've seen a lot of poor play in the NFL.

squicken

The league needs to do a better job of putting the good teams on its MNF and TNF packages. And the Bucs/Panthers was always going to have ratings issues. Small markets, regional, not very good teams, Cam was hurt

As far as quality of play, if I showed you a game between 7-9 teams from 10 years ago it would probably be as ugly as anything happening now. It's just people have more options for their time. The NFL wasn't competing against your Netflix/Amazon/Hulu account 10 years ago

Top Bottom