• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 NFL Week 5 - Guess Who's Back?

Dumb. Ratings are down because the matchups are poop and people into fantasy only watch their team then Redzone every other hour until the 4 o'clocks are done.

Fixing the Thursday games would go along way towards that....I mean tonight is so unappealing...and yet if I wasn't in class I'd be watching...

They need to get rid of the Thursday game. It just a bad product.

Or....the smarter thing is give two bye weeks to each team (one before their Thursday game) which extends the season by one week yet the number of games remain the same....gives teams extra time to prepare/heal before and after a Thursday game and gives everyone a better product...and another week of Ad sales...why they haven't done this I'll never know.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Or....the smarter thing is give two bye weeks to each team (one before their Thursday game) which extends the season by one week yet the number of games remain the same....gives teams extra time to prepare/heal before and after a Thursday game and gives everyone a better product...and another week of Ad sales...why they haven't done this I'll never know.

I could be old and misremembering, but I believe the nfl did two bye weeks per team in the past. Now that I think about it, I'm shocked that they went away from that extra week of tv revenue.

But how would your setup address teams with more than one thursday game?

bionic77

I could be old and misremembering, but I believe the nfl did two bye weeks per team in the past. Now that I think about it, I'm shocked that they went away from that extra week of tv revenue.

I don't remember 2 bye weeks when I was a kid.

Well they should only have one Thursday game...do teams normally have two? In that case they could always do it back to back. Sunday game - Bye week - Thursday Game - Thursday Game - Sunday game

I don't remember 2 bye weeks when I was a kid.

Seems the NFL tried it in 1993 (don't remember that...then again I was 10)

"Bye" has a second meaning in sports like gridiron football, as both Canadian and American professional football leagues use the term "bye week" for any week during the regular season in which a team does not play a game. Each NFL team has one "bye week" during a normal season; this is placed on the team's schedule, usually falling between Week 4 and Week 12 inclusive. The NFL has used the bye week since 1990 so as to extend the 16-game regular season schedule to span 17 weeks. The 1993 NFL season spanned 18 weeks with each team having 2 bye weeks. In the rare case of a game postponement that cannot be made up within the week,[3] a bye week may act as an available date to reschedule the delayed game, with the day of postponement acting as the new "bye week"; although both teams would have to be available on the same bye week.

During the 1960 and 1966 NFL seasons, the league had an odd number of teams due to expansion. Each week during those seasons, one team had a bye, including one team each in the first and last week of the season. (Thus, because they had to play all their games with no break in the middle, those two teams effectively had no byes.) The American Football League (at the time a completely separate league) also had an odd number of teams in 1966 and 1967 following the addition of the Miami Dolphins, leaving each team with two bye weeks.

In the 1999 through 2001 seasons, the NFL had an odd number of teams, 31, as a result of the Cleveland Browns re-entering the league. Each week during these three seasons featured at least one team with its bye week (the 2001 season also added an additional impromptu league-wide bye the weekend after the September 11 attacks). The league returned to having an even number of teams (32) in the 2002 season with the addition of the Houston Texans, and implemented the current bye week system.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Well they should only have one Thursday game...do teams normally have two? In that case they could always do it back to back. Sunday game - Bye week - Thursday Game - Thursday Game - Sunday game

ah yes, the odd numbered teams led to at least one bye week team every week. Week 1 and Week 17 bye weeks were ridiculous.

Currently, any team playing on Thanksgiving (day games) will end up having two Thursday games overall.

MechDX

Finally catching up on hurricane Mathew news. Stay safe Florida GAF. Went through Ike a few years ago and it was a nightmare.

If you are told to leave do so.

ah yes, the odd numbered teams led to at least one bye week team every week. Week 1 and Week 17 bye weeks were ridiculous.

Currently, any team playing on Thanksgiving (day games) will end up having two Thursday games overall.

Well Cowboys/Lions should stay on Thanksgiving and they rotate the other team so just exclude Cowboys/Lions from other Thursday.

Bitanator

VStA1Pm.png

:'(

They are cursed, last year was I-R as well for half their crew right?

JABEE

JABEE, I don't think we can call our group of people civilized nor well adjusted. That doesn't mean we're blind to the truth of the universe that Pats are cheaters, but we ain't civilized people.

Speak for yourself, Printer Paper. All civilized people recognize the Pats are cheaters.

This does not make all who recognize the Pats as cheaters civilized. I'm sure there are some in this group who watch Anime and enjoy pineapple on their Pizza.

Fox318

Yeah I missed so many picks in previous years because I refused to use the site on mobile,

Next year friend (Spring I think?)

Yeah but I feel like its gonna suck for some reason.

Gonna be run by some shit as corporate board that won't take any risks because they want to sell gear that they can feature on big bang theory

Spinluck

Ike ripped the siding off the entire side of my home at the time and that was 100 miles inland from the coast. Shit ain't no joke.

Either of you riding it out?

I can't afford to at the moment.

Gonna have to wait it all out. Gonna suck.

MechDX

I can't afford to at the moment.

Gonna have to wait it all out. Gonna suck.

The actual storm itself is fascinating to ride out its the aftermath and clean up that tears your soul apart. Good luck man. Wish there was something I could do to help.

bionic77

Don't remember that for some reason.

Stay safe Florida and Southern GAF. Wish you guys would have driven away from it but since it is probably too late now I hope it passes quickly and everyone gets out safe.

In PA we get occasional tornados, but for the most part our most extreme weather is a big ass snowstorm.

Top Bottom