• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 World Junior Hockey Championships |OT| Where Future Busts Become National Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
The sad thing is when Sweden inevitably squashes Canada I won't even get to enjoy Snizzbone's performance :'(

Rad-

Finland is such a weird team. They look like they totally dominate but then the other teams score with almost every chance.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Group victory no matter what happens now, nice! It would be even nicer to finish it off in style, of course, but I'm not confident that will happen since the game won't really mean anything for us. But then again, it won't for Canada either, since USA will definitely win their remaining games. So it could go either way.

But yeah, this is how the group will end up no matter what happens in the CAN-SWE game:

1. Sweden
2. USA
3. Canada
4. Denmark
----------------
5. Switzerland

Yawnier

Banned
Kapanen is kind of playing in this game like he usually does on the Marlies. Shows flashes of skill here and there with nice passes and dekes but isn't that consistent.

I know I've been watching too much World Juniors because for half a second I thought Nylander was wearing a Finland jersey in your avatar :lol

lol. That would be something

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Good, Finland's gonna take it. That will put Slovakia in spot #4 in that group and make them Sweden's quarter final opponent, which is a much better outcome. Not because I'm scared of Finland (although Slovakia is clearly an easier opponent), but because I want us to face them later! I like Finland (and also hate them, in a loving archrival kind of way), would be a shame to have to eliminate them this early. On the other hand, USA will probably do that anyway. Oh well.

EDIT: Forgot that FIN-CZE is still left to go. So it could also be CAN-FIN in the quarter final. Which I think Finland could take, unless Canada really steps it up. So yeah, this should get pretty exciting!

Rad-

This Puljujärvi kid. Finland has 14 goals and he has 9 points. :lol

Edit: Change that, it's 15 goals for Finland and 10 points for him now wtf.

zroid

Banned
Man Kapanen keeps creating scoring chances but nothing goes in for him. Has to feel shitty especially when he wanted to redeem himself this year.

zroid

Banned
Q89FlMv.gif

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So Finland will most likely beat the Czechs as well, which would give us these quarter finals (my victor predictions bolded):

Sweden - Slovakia
USA - Czech Republic
Canada - Finland
Denmark - Russia

CAN-FIN is obviously the most difficult game to predict, but from what I've seen so far I'll give Finland a slight edge.

Yawnier

Banned
The Switzerland Bruins are getting slaughtered. God damn
We're finishing bottom 5 and we're winning that goddamn lottery you'll see!
You guys are in the most stacked division in the nhl so at least you got that going for you. I guess

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Really? From what I've seen, the Finns have a large edge. Canada hasn't had even one "good" game yet.

Ok, maybe a bit more than "slight". But Finland also broke down against Russia, and didn't convince at the start of this game. So it's not like they've been an unstoppable powerhouse either. Of course, Canada has been really weak thus far. So yeah, maybe remove the "slight", but I wouldn't go much beyond that.

fallout

Ok, maybe a bit more than "slight". But Finland also broke down against Russia, and didn't convince at the start of this game. So it's not like they've been an unstoppable powerhouse either. Of course, Canada has been really weak thus far. So yeah, maybe remove the "slight", but I wouldn't go much beyond that.
Just a heads up that calder generally errs on the side of depressingly negative when it comes to hockey teams he follows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom