• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-04.WED_.png

Whatever happened to predictability? Ratings GAF, no streaming, and evening tv.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Wow, those are big drops for Empire and Star (2.4 down to 1.9 and 1.8 down to 1.4, respectively)

SEAL Team dropped from 1.5 last week to 1.2

Everything on ABC is down 0.1 or 0.2

Everything on NBC is down 0.1

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The finale of Penn and Teller Fool Us didn't air because of the Vegas shootings (P&T film in Vegas). Wonder when they'll reschedule it for. Truly the best show on the CW.

Finally got around to the pilot of Gotham and it was really solid. Many great things going on, and David Mazouz has totally grown into the role of Bruce Wayne at this point.

Designated Survivor

I dont know why they did that for the Lloyd plot. Seems too early in the season especially since he was an actually believable bad guy

They changed show-runners so they are probably trying to do a mini reboot.

Penguin

I wonder if people are turned off by Designated Survivor by the fictitious notion of an inexperienced President doing right by the country and Congress attempting to hold him accountable

I wonder if people are turned off by Designated Survivor by the fictitious notion of an inexperienced President doing right by the country and Congress attempting to hold him accountable
I stopped watching when Trump won. I am basically watching the horror version of designated survivor by watching the news every night.

berzeli

Banned
This is a pretty interesting article on how TV has changed creatively:
thr_lisa_joy_bryan_fuller_170922_thr_joy-fuller-0293.jpg

'Pushing Daisies' Writers Reunite to Talk TV's Darker Turn, Increasingly Lax Standards
Lisa Joy ('Westworld') and Bryan Fuller ('American Gods') talk about picking battles with network execs and what their new series have in common: "Both our shows have a lot of cock."
... That is the first paragraph, blame THR, not me. (I just highlighted it)
TV, your own series included, is much darker these days. Do you see room for lighter dramas like Pushing Daisies?

JOY When I look at Stranger Things, even though it's horror, there's a lightness to those kids and it being the 1980s. There's room for more of that playfulness, levity and fun. But my show right now is kind of a dark exploration. (Laughs.)

FULLER I'm telling you, you have to write and direct Amazing Stories. [Fuller is developing a reboot of the anthology.] That's the goal with Amazing Stories — to get people like Lisa to give you the experience of a summer movie in the '80s.
Man pushing Daisies was so good, though I'm partial to Wonderfalls.
FULLER The networks have taken on the mantle, at least in some respects, of the artist's vision. On Pushing Daisies, we couldn't show a toilet! Now both our shows have a lot of cock. Times are changing.

JOY We've got a lot. But ours are mostly flaccid, because they're dead and in cold storage.

FULLER But they're nice though. They're show-ers.

Are you allowed to show erect penises?

FULLER Yes, but you can't show it heading toward a portal of any kind.
God bless Bryan Fuller.

Also an article on the challenges Paramount Network faces:
Kevin Costner is making $500,000 per episode for Yellowstone. How do you justify that?

The statement we wanted to make was that we're open for business and we're willing to pay top-tier actors whatever their quotes are. It sends a message and that's what we want to do.
Of all the brands, why Spike?

Because the TV Land affiliate agreements would never allow it and they also don't have full HD penetration. The one thing that stood between Spike and getting to general entertainment was its name. Spike was too well-branded — we did too good a job of saying, "This is for men." We want to be 50-50 male-female with an 18-to-49 demo. In the Viacom world, you have networks that have specific audiences — MTV with millennials, Comedy Central with comedy, BET is focused on African-Americans and Nickelodeon is a kids and family brand — so the goal is to have "general entertainment" as part of the portfolio.
What are the changes you'll make?

The average Spike viewer is 43. If we can be in the early 40s, it helps set us apart from some of the other networks that are in the family. We're more upscale as we move away from all that police programming that was on Spike. You'll still see Cops, but you won't see the same volume of it. We're looking at bringing over some high-quality sitcoms for daytime, and you'll see more movies.

I got maybe 5 episodes behind when it returned post Trump,
I just didn't feel like it.

Kirkman is kinda like the exact opposite of Trump which made it harder to watch.

Tapejara

I got maybe 5 episodes behind when it returned post Trump,
I just didn't feel like it.

Kirkman is kinda like the exact opposite of Trump which made it harder to watch.

Yeah, this was my experience as well. Really loved the first few episodes, then Trump won and I just stopped tuning in.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
All the different sources that provide subtitles for tv shows that insist to have many cases of 3-line long sentences. You should never see more than 2 lines of text on screen no matter what.

Oh yeah. I agree. You end up having to pause it every time anyone says anything and it can be really annoying.

This is a pretty interesting article on how TV has changed creatively:

Interesting indeed!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Oooohhh, I just realized that if you didn't know about The Mist, the thread title would seem like an Inhumans reference.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oooohhh, I just realized that if you didn't know about The Mist, the thread title would seem like an Inhumans reference.

Nobody knows enough about the Inhumans to understand that reference tho.

Much less Stump who hates superheroes :3

Patryn

New article about the shitshow that is Amazon Video.

A few interesting bits:

Shawn Ryan, who earlier created the award-winning police drama ”The Shield," described his time at Amazon producing the canceled drama ”Mad Dogs" as frustrating and confusing. Mr. Ryan said it was standard practice at other networks to receive one set of notes from executives a day after a cut of an episode was submitted. At Amazon, that process would often take more than a week and was followed by multiple requests for changes, he said, resulting in higher costs and delays.

Messrs. Price and Lewis have played outsize roles in creative decisions, staffers say. On ”The Tick," Mr. Lewis pressured people working on the show to cast his girlfriend, actress Yara Martinez, in the pilot and then to expand her role, said people close to the program.

Mr. Price last year encouraged subordinates to buy an idea for a series called ”12 Parties" from his fiancée, Lila Feinberg, said Amazon Studios employees. Some at the company said they were uncomfortable because of the apparent conflict of interest and because they believed a character in the series resembled Mr. Price.

Like Mr. Price, the character Richard Forman is a middle-aged Harvard graduate who wears leather jackets and has a Black Flag tattoo, according to a series proposal viewed by The Wall Street Journal. His younger girlfriend, who like Ms. Feinberg is a writer from New York, is named ”Lita."

berzeli

Banned
Man you can quote almost any part of the WSJ article and it's just awful, you have multiple producers speaking on record with name attached saying things like "[Amazon's] entertainment division is a bit of a gong show", and rumours of the main other exec pressuring creatives to cast his girlfriend (she's been in three Amazon shows).
Even its most acclaimed shows draw relatively small audiences. Fewer than one million people have watched recent seasons of ”Transparent," which won Emmys in 2015 and 2016, said an Amazon Studios employee.
Is that bad?
Rhetorical question obv.
The article above sounds interesting but I can't read it due to the subscription barrier.
Go to WSJ twitter and click through. Did the trick for me.

Grizzlyjin

Kind of surprised by an error in the article: Yara Martinez was in Alpha House, not Alphas.

I'm sad that I know this and could point it out.

Never apologize for your Alpha House viewership. You'll fly with the angels.

Amazon Video being a shit show is the least surprising thing ever to me. I know they said that they go through showrunners at the same rate as network TV...but it sure as hell didn't look like it.

Grizzlyjin

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-05.THU_.png

Gotham and The Orville settle into their spots. I wonder how the return next week of the other geeky shows on The CW impacts them.

Catdaddy

NCIS is finally start to show its age. The character chemistry is what made the show and they actually did a good job with replacements, up until Tony (Bishop is no Ziva but a good character nonetheless). Seems like they replaced Tony with three characters as a screen test and the producers would pick the one who fit in the best, which appears to be Wilmer V. So far not really feeling this season, but will give it a chance since there is nothing else on I’d replace it with. Last week, we actually picked Ducky as being the next to leave, David M. is in his mid-80s and figured he’d retire since brought in and then “promoted” Palmer. I don’t watch the other NCIS, watched half a season of LA and one episode of NO and neither came close to the original.

My other favorite “veteran” show, Modern Family also seems to be showing its age, all the kids are grown up and the little kid they have is just annoyingly terrible, I cringe whenever they bring him out. They should focus more on the kids becoming adults instead of giving him any lines. The first two episodes are probably two of my least favorite shows of the series, but hope they will get better. Also forgot they added Cam’s sister (and baby) into the mix, not a fan of her character either.

Completely deserved drop for Will and Grace after how dire that premiere was. One episode was enough for me.

Gotham holds and The Orville dips. Good to see.

Soulfire

The Wall Street Journal article was interesting, thanks for the twitter link that seemed to bypass the whole subscription thing. Kind of sad to see they've decided to stop the live action kids stuff since my daughter likes some of their shows, mostly she likes their animated stuff so hopefully they keep that around.

Do not agree with the Vox diagram, especially regarding Orville and The Gifted. I've enjoyed both of those shows so far.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I agree with almost nothing on the Vox diagram. Big Mouth is okay if you like the creatives behind it, but certainly not must see and I would say far weaker than, for example, F is for Family. Will & Grace is terrible -- took the on-the-nose camp of the original series and ramped it up to 11,000 out of 10. The pilot of the reboot is honestly shocking in how badly it panders to its audience. The Mayor has a winning premise executed in a boring way. The Deuce feels like a throwback to a different era, but not of history, of television where everyone wanted everything to be gritty and hardboiled. Pass. The Good Doctor is repulsive, I don't think Ghosted even had any jokes, Kevin Probably Saves The World seems like Jason Ritter has moderate brain damage and doesn't know he's on a television show, and The Orville actually ended up being pretty entertaining. I'd also knock Young Sheldon down several squares on the grid. And while I haven't seen it, there's no way S.W.A.T. is either a) worth watching or b) serious.

Thank God Arrow is on after Gotham. Gives me two good hours of DC shows without having to choose between the two.

That is going to be a great one-two punch. I hope the new season of Arrow is as good as last season was. Gotham has been great so far this fall.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Orville is literally a show made for Star Trek fans, so I don't really know if there's a response to that. Right now it's my favourite new show of the season and I'm enjoying a lot more than Discovery.

I guess it's like how I don't like Force Awakens but if you really love Star Wars then it's probably the best movie JJ has ever made.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sucks that Orville dropped 0.2 from last week. I like watching new bootleg Star Trek episodes every week, even with Seth McFarlane humor (which I don't mind half the time) sprinkled in. Hopefully it'll adjust up, or it's a temporary dip.
I have no real hope, tho

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sucks that Orville dropped 0.2 from last week. I like watching new bootleg Star Trek episodes every week, even with Seth McFarlane humor (which I don't mind half the time) sprinkled in. Hopefully it'll adjust up, or it's a temporary dip.
I have no real hope, tho
I'm hoping it survives as a favour to MacFarlane. In the same way that they kept the show with Kiefer (Touch or whatever it was called) on the air because they wanted to try to keep him happy.

Not surprising to see this about Amazon given how much grumbling there's been in the past couple of years about their slapdash management of the TV arm. It'll be interesting to see if the recent moves and scrutiny from Seattle get things on track.

In a similar vein, Tim Goodman's column for THR:

- Are There Cracks in the Netflix Facade?
But lately, deep background complaints I'm getting are coming mostly from creators with content at Netflix. And it's been slowly increasing. The gist is that the money is great to have but there's not a lot of promotion (advertising outside of the Netflix environment and exposure within it; because there's so much volume, press attention can be limited as well with advanced features and reviews).

Some creators are annoyed (or hurt) that they don't get splashy premieres (and yes, that matters — particularly when all your episodes drop on the same day and that's pretty much the end of the hype). A similar complaint: It's easy to get lost on Netflix once the show airs.

Others say the mysterious Netflix algorithms affect how much of a budget a show will get (for new and returning seasons) and even which actors need to be cast (meaning they're not exactly the ones creators want but they are the ones who will fuel suggestions to other series or movies in the Netflix archives).

A sign of impending doom? Doubtful. That budget is going up to $7 billion, not down to $5 billion. (And even if it did — wow, that's a lot of money.) But those are definitely cracks in the façade. Money can cover up a lot (and keep people from complaining publicly). But if your relationships with creators start to fray and pull apart in ways that can't really be addressed because of the make-up of the infrastructure (the company is too big to be intimate and attentive; the algorithms that helped make the company big are working against your creative wants), then there's an issue.

How big that issue gets remains to be seen. You can add it to the growing pile of things we all might be talking about when it comes to talking about Netflix.
More via the link.

Goodstyle

I'm shocked The Good Place is holding as well as it is. Season 3 feels more and more likely!

I hope Great News gets renewed a second time as well.

Grizzlyjin

In a similar vein, Tim Goodman's column for THR:

- Are There Cracks in the Netflix Facade?More via the link.

Just look at how they buried Ozark. That was a really solid show that any network would've been proud of, starring Jason Bateman and Laura Linney no less. And they just dropped it and moved on. It's almost like they just stumble across good shows and then decide to hype them later, like Stranger Things. That show caught on because of its fanbase, not anything Netflix did to promote it. Thats why they were so late to catch up with the merchandising of it.

Like the article says, they just release things willy nilly. Supposedly they were going to drop The Punisher as a surprise during New York Comic Con. A "And you can watch it now!" type thing, but the tragedy in Las Vegas made them rethink the timing. But why even consider releasing it now? Defenders came out a few weeks ago, Strangers Things is in a few weeks...why sandwich something "big" in there?

Top Bottom