• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

Cheebo

Banned
As I said, The Gifted has the third-highest ratings among scripted shows on Fox. We won't have a clearer picture of its fate until we see the next week or two of ratings, but if they stay at, like, 1.2 or higher, it's gonna be one of the network's biggest successes this year.

most of Fox's ratings are garbage, so it's not hard to do better

After Orville maintained 1.1 from week 3 to 4 despite much tougher competition I am sort of expecting that to be the most successful new scripted show on Fox by seasons end.

Not that that is anything to write home about, but it feels like Orville caught on more than Gifted.

Penguin

Seems like an overall solid Tues for ABC

This is gonna be Brooklyn 99's final season isn't it?

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-03.TUE_.png

- THR's "Streaming Wars" feature this week (link to all content)

Of interest:
- Where Streamers Get Their Original Content: Comparing Netflix, Amazon and Hulu
Netflix and Amazon are putting greater emphasis on owning their scripted originals, while Hulu continues to lean on the major studios.

rOdtiQQ.jpg
- Amazon, Netflix and Hulu's Most Popular Shows Revealed
The streamers don't share their ratings, but a new measurement looked at streams, viewers, engagement and more to determine which series have the biggest audiences.

tYvuXNF.jpg

M6zFuC6.jpg

Seems like an overall solid Tues for ABC

This is gonna be Brooklyn 99's final season isn't it?

Hopefully they give them a wrap it up season like they did for New Girl

Man the budget to emmy nomination ratio went way off-kilter for amazon compared to netflix in 2017.

It is time to end the show. Third major cast loss after Cote de Pablo and Michael Weatherly.

Sasha Alexander also left after season 2. It's interesting how they did such a good job of replacing their female lead twice, but Michael Weatherly leaves and they totally shit the bed.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

Dysun

Haven't watched NCIS in years, but it was a surprisingly fun watch for the first handful of seasons. Sad to see it fall apart

Sober

Always wondered why Emmy noms is a measure as Ive rarely if ever heard anyone trying to sell anyone on watching a show or movie out based on what awards it won.
Could also mean that money spent is used to attract better talent both in front of and behind the camera. Dunno if it's a real correlation exactly since streaming networks also make just flat out mundane or regular stuff on top of "prestige"/headlining shows now.

Soulfire

I dropped NCIS when Tony left and they killed off Ziva. I like McGee and I've thought about checking in but if Abbey is leaving too, I'm not going to bother.

Joni

Sasha Alexander also left after season 2. It's interesting how they did such a good job of replacing their female lead twice, but Michael Weatherly leaves and they totally shit the bed.
Let's be honest. Sasha simply was immediately overshadowed by Cote so there was no time to miss her.

Kevin

Boo!
I am talking about the precedent this sets for even more subscriptions

You know, I usually don't sign up for subscriptions. I don't even have Netflix but as such a huge Star Trek fan I decided to just do it to support this show. No regrets! Obviously once it ends then I'll cancel the subscription but I really like everything they've done with Star Trek: Discovery and I say this as a fan and owner of all of Star Trek.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is Ozark any good? I could barely finish the 1st episode but I feel it deserves a chance

yes, but then again if you say you couldnt finish the first episode, what would any other person's opinion matter to you? It' not like the show changes drastically.

I've been really enjoying the new Star Trek: Discovery and it appears that it's performing very well for CBS and exceeding expectations:

https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/03/fi...o-nine-episodes-breaks-new-all-access-record/

Yawn, this is just like the Twin Peaks spin from Showtime: "Only thing we've ever had to drive subscriptions is driving subscriptions."

I mean, what else has there ever been to get people to sign up for CBS All Access? The only news would be if it wasn't setting subscriber records.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I mean the thing is this: Star Trek is safe. The international syndication sales via Netflix and the Canadian syndication sales via Space are certainly covering the budget of the show. The revenue for CBS All Access is gravy. Would more people be watching the show if it was on Netflix? Yes, categorically. Does it suck to have to pay for yet another thing? Yes. But it's not likely to be cancelled because it has an albatross around its neck, in fact it was almost specifically chosen for that reason. If it drives a couple hundred thousand subscriptions or a low million number of subscriptions, then that's mission accomplished. If CBS All Access implodes, they would surely sell the show to Netflix domestically. Personally, I would rather not move towards a future of paying for ten different things, some with commercials, because that defeats the massive gain in enjoyment and watchability we got from the TV-on-DVD and later streaming revolutions. So I'd love to see a future where this kind of SVOD streaming service fails and the content producing studios have to work with a few major streaming players that have wide swaths of content and deliver obvious value to subscribers. But if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. And I think the show will be safe regardless of what future it ends up in.

(Fuller's idea that the show be an anthology series was never going to happen, though. It's bad for the actors too; you can't make a convention circuit living if you're competing with 50 other leads by the time the show hits 5 or 6 seasons)

To some extent, Twin Peaks was "safe" too insofar as the entire thing seemed to deliberately be a one-off for Lynch and cable channels don't pull shows half-way through completion, so the end result was never going to be anything other than one season of airing. If Showtime actually had expectations of the show -- the third season to a twenty year old show that's famously impenetrable and has basically no awareness outside the pundit bubble, with the weirdness continually amped up and no effort to make the show accessible to new viewers -- then they were nuts.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
You know, I usually don't sign up for subscriptions. I don't even have Netflix but as such a huge Star Trek fan I decided to just do it to support this show. No regrets! Obviously once it ends then I'll cancel the subscription but I really like everything they've done with Star Trek: Discovery and I say this as a fan and owner of all of Star Trek.
Too bad you didn't wait until this weekend before signing up. You could've watched the first half of the season for free before it goes on hiatus until January.

EDIT: Oh didn't see the news about 9 episodes in the first half, so I guess it's next week for watching the first half for free.

So, i'm sure no one but my wife and I watched it... but has anyone heard anything about the fate of Syfy's "Blood Drive"?

I fully, fully expect it to have been cancelled... but man... what a strange, fun, oddly well done show by its end.

Kevin

Too bad you didn't wait until this weekend before signing up. You could've watched the first half of the season for free before it goes on hiatus until January.

EDIT: Oh didn't see the news about 9 episodes in the first half, so I guess it's next week for watching the first half for free.

Yup I saw they purposely switched it to 9 episodes just so that one episode would fall out of the average second month which is pretty crap of them. Otherwise I could have seen the 8, canceled and come back for the final 6 episodes of the season.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Paramount Network update:

Viacom is looking to Darren Star to deliver his next hit for its soon-to-launch general entertainment hub Paramount Network.

The Sex and the City and Younger creator is developing a half-hour comedy for Paramount Network, which will launch Jan. 18 when it is rebranded from Spike TV.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...g-paris-set-dramedy-paramount-network-1045750

Paramount Television is getting into the graphic novel business.

The network, which rebrands from Spike TV on Jan. 18, is teaming with Kyle Killen (Awake, Lone Star) to adapt Ed Brubaker's Image Comics title Velvet. The drama, which is in development, marks the first original from Paramount Television for corporate sibling Paramount Network. (The studio's First Wives Club, which went to pilot for TV Land, is being redeveloped with a new writer for Paramount Network.)

Velvet is a female-driven spy thriller that revolves around former spy Velvet as she sets out to settle an ancient score built on lies in a new world of ongoing espionage.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ed-brubakers-velvet-paramount-network-1045282

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So, i'm sure no one but my wife and I watched it... but has anyone heard anything about the fate of Syfy's "Blood Drive"?

I fully, fully expect it to have been cancelled... but man... what a strange, fun, oddly well done show by its end.

I was a fan too. Ran a little long, but it was way better than I expected it to be. Great summer series. The two leads already got new gigs. Ochoa is in The CW's Valor and Ritchson is in DC's streaming service Teen Titans series.

Pixieking

Banned
At least they don't have to play that weird goth electronic dance musak everytime she's on now.

Honestly, the show is like L&O, basically beyond characters. I think they could replace the whole cast and no one would care.

At this point, yeah. There was a time when the character interactions between Ziva/DiNozzo/Gibbs were the reason to watch it. But they thought they could do without Cote de Pablo, and that signalled the end (especially with how they left the Ziva/DiNozzo romance hanging).

I dropped NCIS when Tony left and they killed off Ziva.

Did they actually kill her off, or just write her off?

Tamanon

Banned
At this point, yeah. There was a time when the character interactions between Ziva/DiNozzo/Gibbs were the reason to watch it. But they thought they could do without Cote de Pablo, and that signalled the end (especially with how they left the Zivo/DiNozzo romance hanging).

Did they actually kill her off, or just write her off?

Wrote off both of them.

Actually, i misremembered.

She was killed off.

Booooooo, that's uncalled for. Couldn't let the fans have their head-canon. :(
Well, Ziva was living in Israel when there was an explosion at her house, the NCIS is informed that there was a survivor, so Dinozzo went to Israel.

Then we learn that Ziva really died in the explosion and the survivor was Tali, the daughter of Ziva.

The father is Dinozzo, but Ziva never told him about her.

In the end, Dinozzo leaves the NCIS to take care of her daughter.

Maddocks

Ohhhh, didn't know that. Still, killing her seems a bit... much? Meh.

a bit. It was the dumbest choice they could make, and it really seems they made it to punish her character because they couldn't punish her. You left us high and dry 2 years ago, well now you die in your sleep!

In my head, she lived and her and tony having a happy life because her dying is just dumb.

Soulfire

It was all a bunch of bullshit. Ziva wouldn't have done that to him and then to kill her like that, ugh, I had to stop watching.

Surprised @ the love for the gifted, looks like a rehash of Legion and all the other tired X-Men movie formulas.

"The gubment is after us!!!!!" "We're special!!!"

Top Bottom