• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

Soulfire

Just finished The Gifted, really liked it. Hopefully it picks up viewers because I'd like to see what they do with the world.

Watched Ghosted with my husband, he liked it so it will probably get canceled. I thought the pacing was off, but it had some potential, hopefully future episodes are better. Love the two leads so that's a pretty big plus.

So far I've only watched a few of the new shows. Orville is growing on me and I liked the last episode a fair amount. Only watched the first ST:D episode but didn't really like it, going to try and watch the rest of the episodes with some friends online. My plan is to binge Will and Grace since it's now on hulu before I try watching the new season, we'll see how that goes. Inhumans was bad, but I feel kind of torn so I'll probably watch at least one more. It's only 8 episodes...I'm going to end up watching them all I know it.

Looking forward to Blackish tonight and curious about the OUaT reboot. I'll probably just wait until the CW shows are on Netflix before I watch them, maybe.

The Good Doctor seems to be a bona fide hit for ABC.

The Gifted will be under a 1.0 by Xmas for Fox.

I feel like it will get cancelled at some point or last only a season or two. Which really sucks, because I've been wanting a show like Heroes again for a really long time. All of the FOX shows I followed tend to go downhill in ratings. But maybe if it can stay around Lucifer or Gotham rating levels, they'll keep it. I hope.

Patryn

Not surpsing, they have nothing interesting (yes I know Deuce and Curb). At least Netflix has Stranger Things to look forward, but I’m not sure why streaming/cable struggles around this time.

The article seems to have the opposite thesis? It's talking about how this year there are fewer people dropping after GoT ended than in previous seasons.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
so The Gifted is off to a decent start? let's hope it continues to grab people & grow. i rather liked the premiere.

Passable start for The Gifted. It'll be interesting to see how much it drops in the coming weeks. I thought it was decent enough to keep watching, but not great by any means.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
As I said, The Gifted has the third-highest ratings among scripted shows on Fox. We won't have a clearer picture of its fate until we see the next week or two of ratings, but if they stay at, like, 1.2 or higher, it's gonna be one of the network's biggest successes this year.

most of Fox's ratings are garbage, so it's not hard to do better

TheOddOne

Posting this for Stump:

- BI: Former CBS Late Night host Craig Ferguson is doing a YouTube show about life's big questions – and it's being funded by a fashion brand.
Fashion retailer GANT is launching its biggest advertising campaign in history. But instead of investing in a series of glossy magazine ads, the 70 year-old retailer is opting for an long-form show on YouTube that it is presenting, but that otherwise has no obvious GANT branding.

"Couple Thinkers" is a six episode-long, non-scripted show starring former Late Late Show host and comedian Craig Ferguson and his wife Megan Ferguson. It features the couple travel around the world (in GANT clothing, of course), exploring topics they’ve always wondered about but have never had the chance to explore, until now.

Each episode attempts to tackle some of life’s largest questions around topics such as space, sustainability and the human brain, with expert guests including Kimbal Musk, Jon Ronson and Arianna Huffington. The show premieres on Oct. 9, 2017, and will be available across 70 different countries.
maxresdefault.jpg

Solid start for The Gifted, I could see it benefiting from delayed viewing as well. Still just shows how much network ratings in general have fallen over the years, outside a few exceptions.

I'm curious to see how Blackish does on its new night and how The Mayor performs. I watched the pilot on demand and enjoyed it, hopefully it does well.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The article seems to have the opposite thesis? It's talking about how this year there are fewer people dropping after GoT ended than in previous seasons.

Reading Comprehension fail! (Maybe, I will go back and re-read that article instead of skimming it).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Gifted - 1.5

The Gifted - 1.5

The Gifted - 1.5

Winners!

~~

9JKL - 1.6

Predictions!

9JKL - 3.0

The Gifted - 1.3

9JKL - 2.7

9JKL - 2.8

The Gifted - 1.4

The Gifted 1.2

9JKL - 2.0

The Gifted - 1.0

9JKL - 2.4
The Gifted - 1.1

The Gifted 2.4
9JKL 0.7

The Gifted - 1.6
9JFKFDR - 2.6

9JKL - 2.5

9QPC - 1.9
The Gifted - 1.9

The Gifted - 1.7
9JKL - 2.3

Fails!

9JKL did way worse than I thought it would. I figured it'd get a pretty healthy sampling following The Big Bang Theory (which was way down itself), but it seems like BBT's audience pretty much rejected it outright.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh shit Lucifer is weekly here, first episode is up. Thank you based EU Netflix!

Pachimari

I rewatched the pilot of Legion again and it's so fucking good up until the end. I haven't watched past the pilot though, so I'm really excited to delve into the show now. Gifted was very entertaining as well, much better than Inhumans.

berzeli

Banned
So I get that this sort of only is relevant to the Nordics, but I have been wondering for a while if HBO Nordic would try and expand or continue to just be aimed at adults. Answer:
HBO Nordic, Turner Launch New OTT Toonix Brand
HBO Nordic, which operates in Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark, has launched Turner’s brand-new children and family OTT service Toonix. Created by Turner EMEA, Toonix is targeted at 3-12-year-olds and their families. The service will offer a mix of kids’ series and movies, including popular content from Turner’s Cartoon Network Studios and Warner Bros. Animation. Among its key shows are “The Amazing World of Gumball,” “Lego Ninjago,” “Looney Tunes” and “The Powerpuff Girls,” all of which are fully localized, with offerings in Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Finnish. Toonix will be available for consumers on www.hbonordic.com and through selected distribution partners in the Nordic region.

HBO Nordic has already broadened its offer sourcing content from not only HBO but also high-profile series from Showtime (“Twin Peaks”) and Hulu (“The Handmaid’s Tale”). The Toonix launch strengthens its family appeal as it faces off with not only Netflix but also Modern Times Group’s Nordic streaming service Viaplay in a highly competitive and relatively wealthy Scandinavian OTT market which places a high premium on children’s entertainment. HBO Europe and Netflix both announced their first commissioned original series last month, HBO’s a comedy-drama, “Gosta,” from reputed filmmaker Lukas Moodysson (“Mammoth”).
And it's actually underselling what they're offering, there is a bunch of old cartoons like Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, and Pingu and they seem to have original VO for most of it as well (which isn't always the case). They even have locally produced cartoons & films. There's some weirdness like how it doesn't have the first season of Steven Universe.
But holy hell, I'm impressed. This is a pretty good.

The Gifted - 1.5

Winners!

9JKL did way worse than I thought it would. I figured it'd get a pretty healthy sampling following The Big Bang Theory (which was way down itself), but it seems like BBT's audience pretty much rejected it outright.
YAY! I won one! :D \o/

Yeah, it's clear that The Big Bang Theory fanbase flat out rejected 9JKL. That's pretty interesting because I thought the 2 shows were pretty similar in content or scope?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
*looks at thread title

that reminds me of something...oh

tumblr_nl45ykX4uM1qbsh19o1_250.gif
tumblr_nl45ykX4uM1qbsh19o4_250.gif
tumblr_nl45ykX4uM1qbsh19o3_250.gif

damn you Stump, you did those Hannibal tumblrs back in the day didnt you! ;_;

Rhaknar

Is Hannibal worth watching even with cancellation or am I setting myself up for disappointment and anger.

as someone who just rewatched / watched all 3 seasons (I hadnt seen the third, partly because of what you said), I can safely say not only does it have a ending, I would totally be fine if it never came back, especially knowing that, as far as we know, they cant get the rights to silence of the lambs.

They did all they were going to do with those characters without it I feel, season 3 covered the
Vergers and Red Dragon
(its almost 2 mini seasons in that sense) so the whole thing feels complete tbh.

As a show, its Fuller at its most self indulgent, take that for what you will. I love that shit, but I can see some people thinking it goes up its own ass too much.

Zero315

Banned
as someone who just rewatched / watched all 3 seasons (I hadnt seen the third, partly because of what you said), I can safely say not only does it have a ending, I would totally be fine if it never came back, especially knowing that, as far as we know, they cant get the rights to silence of the lambs.
I think the rights to SotL revert sometime this year.

TDLink

They did all they were going to do with those characters without it I feel, season 3 covered the
Vergers and Red Dragon
(its almost 2 mini seasons in that sense) so the whole thing feels complete tbh.

As a show, its Fuller at its most self indulgent, take that for what you will. I love that shit, but I can see some people thinking it goes up its own ass too much.

Season 3 was absolutely a truncated planned S3 and S4 smashed together. But I thought it worked pretty well, especially since I wasn't a huge fan of the first half -- which would have been extended to the full season length if they didn't know it was their final one. I am happy the show got to go out on, relatively, their own terms.

Still, obviously Fuller has a plan for a another season with his talks of revival, and I would be interested in seeing that whenever it comes to pass.

It's worth it.

Watch and take it all in

Absolutely worth it. The ending is natural, and it's disappointing and infuriating only in that it's a fantastic series that ought to have run for longer.

Vergers and Red Dragon

Thank you,
been wanting to watch forever but not suffer a cancellation hanger gutpunch.

berzeli

Banned
Addendum:
‘Major Crimes’ Creator Says Cancellation “Was Not At All My Idea”
“I’m directing the finale of Major Crimes, so I can’t really answer all the questions that are being asked today about why Major Crimes was cancelled before we ran our sixth season,” Duff wrote in a Facebook post. “But I do want you to know that it was not at all my idea, nor did I want to leave the show. The actors, the writers, the producers and our talented crew would have held on as long as we were relevant.”

He went on to thank the viewers, saying, “Without the loyalty of our audience, Major Crimes would have been gone much sooner.” He ended his post by saying, “So sorry I couldn’t stop this moment from happening.”

Also:
HBO CEO Richard Plepler On ‘Confederate’ Backlash: “We Screwed Up”
Back in July, HBO announced the new drama series Confederate from Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and DB Weiss – and a huge backlash immediately followed. Speaking at the Vanity Fair summit on Tuesday, HBO CEO Richard Plepler said of the press release announcement, “We screwed up in an important way.”

The show’s concept, Plepler further explained, was about “showing what we call the thin line, the thin veneer of civilization – that’s what we were meant to explore. Where we screwed up was we tried to explain a complicated subject in a press release in three paragraphs.”

HBO’s president of programming Casey Bloys said something similar when he addressed the controversy at TCA, calling the decision to issue a press release for Confederate “misguided.”

“A lie goes halfway around the world before the truth puts its boots on,” Plepler said, “and we bear some of the responsibility for that.”
Why yes, the only problem with that show is that your press release was poorly worded. Sure.

Top Bottom