• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

Patryn

Just look at how they buried Ozark. That was a really solid show that any network would've been proud of, starring Jason Bateman and Laura Linney no less. And they just dropped it and moved on. It's almost like they just stumble across good shows and then decide to hype them later, like Stranger Things. That show caught on because of its fanbase, not anything Netflix did to promote it. Thats why they were so late to catch up with the merchandising of it.

Like the article says, they just release things willy nilly. Supposedly they were going to drop The Punisher as a surprise during New York Comic Con. A "And you can watch it now!" type thing, but the tragedy in Las Vegas made them rethink the timing. But why even consider releasing it now? Defenders came out a few weeks ago, Strangers Things is in a few weeks...why sandwich something "big" in there?

The impression I got was that Ozark didn't connect with critics, which is probably part of how it got lost in the shuffle.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I suspect creators were content to ignore Netflix’s poor promotion of shows right up until Netflix started canceling things. They had to start caring.

Also, it feels like Netflix’s algorithms have been hijacked. Both within the app and by email, Netflix is extremely prone to recommend me crap that has nothing to do with my viewing habits instead of stuff I know they’re releasing within my interests. It feels like they’re heavily tipping the scales in favor of internally preferred content. If that’s the case, I could understand creator frustration about having to take notes based on their data collection when those connections aren’t ultimately used to actively drive attention to their shows.

Or perhaps Netflix subscribes more to 'audience discovery' than old-school marketing. It would make sense for a data-drive decision environment to use more of the former than the latter. Remember, Netflix isn't driven by advertising which requires old-school marketing and advertising practices (advertising the advertisement, if you will), instead it's simply driven by what people watch. Or at least that's what they claim to be driven by.

If Ozark leads to people watching and subscribing for it, it will live. If it doesn't gain an audience, it won't. For now, that is how simple Netflix's decisions are.

I suspect creators were content to ignore Netflix's poor promotion of shows right up until Netflix started canceling things. They had to start caring.

Also, it feels like Netflix's algorithms have been hijacked. Both within the app and by email, Netflix is extremely prone to recommend me crap that has nothing to do with my viewing habits instead of stuff I know they're releasing within my interests. It feels like they're heavily tipping the scales in favor of internally preferred content. If that's the case, I could understand creator frustration about having to take notes based on their data collection when those connections aren't ultimately used to actively drive attention to their shows.

Oh, definitely. Random ass Netflix original content: 99% match. Sci-fi thing I actually would watch based on my history: 78% match. It's pretty obvious if you don't have a wide variety of things watched yet.

styl3s

Just look at how they buried Ozark. That was a really solid show that any network would've been proud of, starring Jason Bateman and Laura Linney no less. And they just dropped it and moved on. It's almost like they just stumble across good shows and then decide to hype them later, like Stranger Things. That show caught on because of its fanbase, not anything Netflix did to promote it. Thats why they were so late to catch up with the merchandising of it.

Like the article says, they just release things willy nilly. Supposedly they were going to drop The Punisher as a surprise during New York Comic Con. A "And you can watch it now!" type thing, but the tragedy in Las Vegas made them rethink the timing. But why even consider releasing it now? Defenders came out a few weeks ago, Strangers Things is in a few weeks...why sandwich something "big" in there?
Are we sure the Punisher was pushed? Because the only info i can dig up about it on any site or post just goes back to a single tweet from someone who doesn't work at netflix.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Are we sure the Punisher was pushed? Because the only info i can dig up about it on any site or post just goes back to a single tweet from someone who doesn't work at netflix.

No idea, just rumored whispers. I'd actually believe it since that's the only reason I could see them being so coy with release date beyond "2017." That plus the scheduled panel at NYCC.

Slayven

Just saw the trailer for Future Man

And it reminds me of something Stump once said, "Hulu's only purpose is to keep content off of Netflix" and that shines through on this "Original"

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Or perhaps Netflix subscribes more to 'audience discovery' than old-school marketing. It would make sense for a data-drive decision environment to use more of the former than the latter. Remember, Netflix isn't driven by advertising which requires old-school marketing and advertising practices (advertising the advertisement, if you will), instead it's simply driven by what people watch. Or at least that's what they claim to be driven by.
I think one of the problems with this is it caters to the viewing habits of power users who are jumping on content very early in the lifespan, rather than based on longer-term catalog value. At least in my mind, it's hard to reconcile deciding on longterm value of shows to consistent subscribers based on just a few weeks of data in many cases.

Netflix simply makes too many shows. I find myself not even sampling most of them anymore. Their absurd release schedule is one of the worst things about peak TV.

vypek

https://www.vox.com/fall-tv/2017/9/...ial&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=voxdotcom

Opinions?

Critics really got some shows wrong, very wrong. The Orville especially, which remains a highlight of this season and has very high user ratings.

A few shows I still have to try at all. My brother and I were delighted with Inhumans cause we were laughing at goofs and mocking silly stuff so I might watch that again. White Famous is a show I'd like to give a few episodes and Me Myself and I is one I've genuinely been enjoying so far.

I never do this but man I hope Once Upon A Time gets cancelled quickly this season.

I had hope for the soft-reboot but this premiere episode was absolutely horrendous,
rebooted themselves into a far worse version and lacking in the stuff people cared about.

Slayven

Netflix simply makes too many shows. I find myself not even sampling most of them anymore. Their absurd release schedule is one of the worst things about peak TV.
So much shit goes unannounced and just shows up. Like the One day at a time reboot, which is good, and Disjointed which is good background noise
I never do this but man I hope Once Upon A Time gets cancelled quickly this season.

I had hope for the soft-reboot but this premiere episode was absolutely horrendous,
rebooted themselves into a far worse version and lacking in the stuff people cared about.

I keep meaning to go back and start this. I need to invent time dilation, too much shit to watch.

HariKari

Not surprising to see this about Amazon given how much grumbling there's been in the past couple of years about their slapdash management of the TV arm. It'll be interesting to see if the recent moves and scrutiny from Seattle get things on track.

In a similar vein, Tim Goodman's column for THR:

- Are There Cracks in the Netflix Facade?More via the link.

I feel like Netflix needs a big fucking tiled landing page for everything good that they've made with minimal scrolling. "Here's what we're capable of" The current UI is so shallow. I rarely scroll to find something, which is a shame, because there's a lot of good stuff buried in there.

Their experiments with recommendations and matching have failed miserably for me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The impression I got was that Ozark didn't connect with critics, which is probably part of how it got lost in the shuffle.

didnt someone just post an article the other day and Ozark was like the third most watched show on netflix? >_>

So much shit goes unannounced and just shows up. Like the One day at a time reboot, which is good, and Disjointed which is good background noise

I keep meaning to go back and start this. I need to invent time dilation, too much shit to watch.

The show had problems but for the most part it was enjoyable for what it was, until this point(S7).

Slayven

The show had problems but for the most part it was enjoyable for what it was, until this point(S7).

I always catch pictures of the costume and just get morbidly curious. I seen cosplayers do amazing thing with a shoestring budget. But Once Upon of Time with the backing of Disney be like......eehhhhh

NKnight7

Neo Member
I always catch pictures of the costume and just get morbidly curious. I seen cosplayers do amazing thing with a shoestring budget. But Once Upon of Time with the backing of Disney be like......eehhhhh

I've always been a fan of the costumes for the Evil Queen at least. Some of the characters and their costumes/attire can get a little iffy, but I've never grown tired of the Evil Queen's.

What's bad about it? I haven't watched the premiere yet.

They went too hard on the "mystery" angle trying to replicate S1 again.
They also made an extremely bland Cinderella the co-star and didn't even try to sell it like they did with Snow White and Charming.

The new town sucks and the original cast seems to all be demoted heavily so far.

I think Hook and Rumple's job is literally the only thing that interested me about this episode but they barely do anything because of the reboot.
Hook is a nice police officer, Rumple is a shady police detective. Hook gets promoted as his partner
And then based on previews despite being a soft reboot
Emma is already showing back up next episode

Season could be great but that premiere turned me right off and I had actually been really interested in seeing where they went with it.

It always depends on the character, the direct adaptations always seem cheap but the original designs are pretty darn good(Mulan, Evil Queen, etc)

netguy503

They went too hard on the "mystery" angle trying to replicate S1 again.
They also made an extremely bland Cinderella the co-star and didn't even try to sell it like they did with Snow White and Charming.

The new town sucks and the original cast seems to all be demoted heavily so far.

I think Hook and Rumple's job is literally the only thing that interested me about this episode but they barely do anything because of the reboot.
Hook is a nice police officer, Rumple is a shady police detective. Hook gets promoted as his partner
And then based on previews despite being a soft reboot
Emma is already showing back up next episode

Season could be great but that premiere turned me right off and I had actually been really interested in seeing where they went with it.

It always depends on the character, the direct adaptations always seem cheap but the original designs are pretty darn good(Mulan, Evil Queen, etc)

Emma's actress is only contracted (wanted back) for that one episode. Knowing that, based on the preview, it looks like they are under utilizing the actress for the only episode they have her back for. I actually fell asleep watching the episode and I'm a fan. :/

Disaster fire all around....

Kevin

The Orville started off a bit messy but the last two episodes have been absolutely fantastic and feel like classic Trek.

Linkura

Posting this for the first time ever, Fri numbers finally out:

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-06.FRI_.png

Well, The Exorcist held. That's good... I guess.

Kevin

Exorcist is so good. Shame more people are not watching. Inhumans doesn't surprise me and Once Upon a Time's numbers are about what I expected. Season six wrapped up the story and they probably should have just ended it there.

Linkura

I have zero hope for a 3rd season of The Exorcist, but I'm glad it's at least holding and that it didn't lose any demo from the premiere. That's generally a good thing. I wouldn't call it amazing or anything, but it's good enough for me to watch as a fan of the film and the horror genre.

Kevin

I have zero hope for a 3rd season of The Exorcist, but I'm glad it's at least holding and that it didn't lose any demo from the premiere. That's generally a good thing. I wouldn't call it amazing or anything, but it's good enough for me to watch as a fan of the film and the horror genre.

I really want a Blu-Ray box set of the two seasons but Fox is barely supporting physical at all at this point with several shows not even getting a DVD release. Really sucks!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I really want a Blu-Ray box set of the two seasons but Fox is barely supporting physical at all at this point with several shows not even getting a DVD release. Really sucks!

I hate this trend because it assumes that everything is available digitally. Or that I want it just streaming or whatever. We've gone backwards a few steps.

Joni

It is another reason to not watch FOX shows. Often I just wait for a show to have a complete box set before buying in.

berzeli

Banned
Posting this for the first time ever, Fri numbers finally out:

Well, The Exorcist held. That's good... I guess.
Missed this for some reason. That Inhumans number is ... rough. Adding to that, from Deadline:
With a lead-in vs being a self-starter at 8 PM last week for its two-hour series premiere, Marvel’s Inhumans (0.7, 2.8 million) was down -22% in the demo in Week 2. (Inhumans’ L+3 lift for the premiere was +44% in the demo, an OK result but below the typical percentage gains for fellow Marvel drama Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.)

It's pretty doomed.

Slaythe

The Orville started off a bit messy but the last two episodes have been absolutely fantastic and feel like classic Trek.

It kinda makes you wish they would have just not bothered with the wonky concept and stopped forcing lame jokes every 3 minutes because when they stop doing that it's a competent show.

MartyStu

The Mayor is a really interesting premise, that I feel the first episode does not do enough justice to.

The supporting cast is stellar, and their interactions pretty spot on, so I think they can buoy the show while the writers figure some stuff out.

I really hope the writers look to Parks and Rec for inspiration.

It kinda makes you wish they would have just not bothered with the wonky concept and stopped forcing lame jokes every 3 minutes because when they stop doing that it's a competent show.

The Orville would actually be worth watching had it completely dispensed of the sitcom humor. Along with Seth, those elements are painfully bad and drag down the show significantly.

NKnight7

Neo Member

Been recording the season, though I haven't watched any of the episodes yet. I figured I'll eventually catch up.

Star Trek Discovery season 2 may be announced soon:

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/tv/2017/10/8/16444242/star-trek-discovery-season-2-renewal

The Orville may also be getting a season 2 with Seth MacFarlane saying it's 'likely':

http://screenrant.com/the-orville-season-2-likely-seth-macfarlane/

Both are great shows and a few episodes in, both shows have greatly improved in writing quality. Good stuff!

That's good! They offer a different type of feel, but I enjoy them both. I wish The Orville would cut some of the jokes though.

Zero315

Banned
The Neverland arc is close to being one of the worst things I've ever watched. They stretched it out waaaaay too long and the fucking twist about who Peter Pan is was too ridiculous even for OUAT.

ZeroX03

Banned
I wish Orville was straight comedy and cut the drama, but I have no context or love of Star Trek so I just want a joke machine.

CW stuff is back this week. I’m expecting it all down a little from last season. Be interesting to see how far Flash drops after a poorly received season, and whether Arrow will hold I think an average of 0.6 with a well received season and cliffhanger.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeah, early 2019 is Kurtzman's take on "most ideal scenario" or what-have-you. (I know, I know. I could click the link. I'm terribly lazy at the moment. Running off memory.)

Anyway, I think barring absolute disaster, Discovery's second season was always assured. Sure, the show's costly, but it'd be such terrible PR if All-Access canned its supposed breadwinner straight out the gate. This was meant to be the turning point for the streamer. Failure so soon would look dang heckin' awful.

Not to pull away from the good news, of course. I'm rather loving the show so far and I'm a lifelong Trek enthusiast and yay. This is my happy face. It's just, I'd have been floored if the show stopped here even without the relatively impressive numbers it seems to be pulling in.

The Neverland arc is close to being one of the worst things I've ever watched. They stretched it out waaaaay too long and the fucking twist about who Peter Pan is was too ridiculous even for OUAT.

Haha, it got annoying but I was okay with that arc, S2 was the only time I actually disliked the show.

Top Bottom