• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Oscar Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Oh. Jimmy Kimmel is hosting this thing?

Charles-Barkley-Falling-Asleep-Inside-the-NBA.gif

AkkpP.gif

Brinbe

Seen Arrival, Moonlight, La La Land, Manchester, Hidden Figures. Not too bad.

Fully expecting La La Land to sweep most cats so already steeling myself for when Moonlight gets robbed of BP.

Also Deadpool definitely got snubbed. ='(

It's not one of the best 5 Animated films this year, maybe top 10. It's one of the worst of Disney's new prominence and has no shot at winning.

You can't be serious. Of all of the animated films released this year, it's possibly not even top 10? IMO it's the best Disney animated feature since Wreck It Ralph.

WOW, 14. That's.. A lot for LA LA Land.

In all honesty, It probably going to win half of those.

I am kinda shocked it got TWO best song noms.

Why not..they have nominated crap like Enchanted for 3 songs or Dreamgirls for 2, I think, and the songs in Lala Land are already better than those.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
La la land's situation reminds me of The Artist. It gets a lot of attention right now, but I doubt anyone is still talking about it in a few years time.

UberTag

In a just world Handmaiden would have noms for Best Foreign Film, Best Production Design, Best Costume Design, and Best Adapted Screenplay. Actually fuck it. Handmaiden should have a Best Picture nod.
The Production Design in that film was staggering.
Giving a nom to Passengers over it is an insult. But whatever.

marrec

Banned
You can't be serious. Of all of the animated films released this year, it's possibly not even top 10? IMO it's the best Disney animated feature since Wreck It Ralph.

Totally serious, completely forgettable except for the excellent animation and one or two good songs, that's not enough anymore.

Frillen

I'm surprised Hell or High Water got nominated. It's kind of like the definition of an okay movie. I think the best thing about it is that it's short and it's ending is actually good for not being obvious.

People have known these nominations for weeks I think, not really any big surprises.

Shut your filthy mouth.

Anyway, I haven't watched La La Land yet, but it sounds like the most typical Oscar movie ever.

omgkitty

While ignoring some of the best movies of the year like Elle, The Handmaiden and The Lobster

Pretty much. The Oscars aren't worth caring about. It's a shitty political popularity contest where the best films are almost never actually recognized.

GlamFM

Banned
La la land's situation reminds me of The Artist. It gets a lot of attention right now, but I doubt anyone is still talking about it in a few years time.

Don´t think so. I think that in years from now people will remember that La La Land revived the music-film genre.

I think it´s gonna end up being a pretty influential film.

It's not one of the best 5 Animated films this year, maybe top 10. It's one of the worst of Disney's new prominence and has no shot at winning.

That's fine if that is your opinion and all, but I hope you realize that not many people hold the same opinion. A lot of people regard Moana as the first truly great musical Disney movie since the 90s era (Frozen and Tangled were very good movies, but they didn't go far enough with the musical aspect, imo). I wouldn't go as far as saying it has no shot..

Busty

Banned
While I liked La La Land it really plays like a remake of a Gene Kelly film that never was.

I mean that as a backhanded compliment but it didn't feel as though it was breaking any new territory.

Shut your filthy mouth.

Anyway, I haven't watched La La Land yet, but it sounds like the most typical Oscar movie ever.

Tell us why that movie is so great..
I watched it too and thought it was okay...maybe less than okay.
From trailer to movie it always looked like the kind of movie when big name actors go slumming because they have some free time. Bottom shelf at Blockbuster tier.

I am not saying the movie was perfect or anything (Personally on second viewing, the Second Act drags pretty badly for about 20 minutes).

But I don't really understand the pushback against it?

Is it because it's the favorite, or is it because it's "cool" to shit on a movie that most people really like.
Literally happens every year with one or two films. Same with the eventual BP winner. I don't know why people get so worked up over it.

Kill3r7

Correct.

There is a reason why movies like these are not being made year in and year out. They are tapping into nostalgia and old Hollywood glamour. It works well on an off year but generally speaking there is no real demand for them. That said, it does not mean that they are not worthy of praise. The problem is that if you want to a watch a silent film odds are you will watch one of the classics before you ever bother to watch The Artist.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Kinda weird Aaron Taylor Johnson won the Golden Globe and wasn't even nominated.

He was really good in Nocturnal Animals too. That Golden Globe win was definitely deserved. It's weird but that movie got completely overlooked, aside from Michael Shannon getting a nom. I really thought it would get more Oscar nominations. I would have expected Johnson, Adams, or Gyllenhaal to get nominated before Shannon.

JSevere

zootopia should take best animated easy

really good lineup for best picture. probably gonna be la la land and moonlight duking it out to the end

meryl streep should just win again bc her Golden Globes speech was fire

suicide squad got in oh my god

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom