• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 World Baseball Classic |OT| America prevails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malo

Banned
That gets a little tricky. Those Japanese arms are either barred from playing, injured, recovering from injuries or have delicate arms. I understand them not playing. The American players don't really have any excuse that I'm aware of. Regardless, the American team should be able to beat on of these teams, I just feel like they could potentially be a dominant force if the best healthy USA players signed up.
Team USA by far has the most and best talent of any baseball playing country. Even their "junior varsity" team is stacked with talent. It'd be great to see a team USA at full force, but unfortunately most American players and fans don't give a shit about the WBC.

ReMaKe

That gets a little tricky. Those Japanese arms are either barred from playing, injured, recovering from injuries or have delicate arms. I understand them not playing. The American players don't really have any excuse that I'm aware of. Regardless, the American team should be able to beat on of these teams, I just feel like they could potentially be a dominant force if the best healthy USA players signed up.

That's the thing though, I just think some american players don't really care about baseball like that. It feels as if they care mostly about the money baseball provides instead of the sport itself. As you, I wonder why some players like trout and kershaw don't play. At the current rate I would say the american team is probably a top 4 team. With all their other players they'd definitely be top 2 at the very least. However, even with a fully loaded roster, I don't think that means they'd win. We saw one of the craziest lineups in 2006 when the Dominican Republic had the craziest lineup ever, big albert in his prime, soriano in his prime, ortiz, reyes all in their prime, and not even make it past 4th place.

clav

That's the thing though, I just think some american players don't really care about baseball like that. It feels as if they care mostly about the money baseball provides instead of the sport itself.

You are absolutely right.

Their lucrative careers are more important than a trophy for their home country.

Choomp

Banned
USA!!! Great win!

One of the better parts of this tournament for me has been being able to cheer for the likes of Hosmer and Yelich. It's fun when those guys you always hate are on your side.

NYCrooner

We saw one of the craziest lineups in 2006 when the Dominican Republic had the craziest lineup ever, big albert in his prime, soriano in his prime, ortiz, reyes all in their prime, and not even make it past 4th place.
Yes but DR has never put together the kind of starting pitching rotation that Team USA could. Kershaw, Bumgarner, shit, just throw the Mets rotation out there. That would compliment a very potent US lineup.

PR_rambo

Banned
Going to be a real tough one facing Stroman and that offense. PR going to have to play another defensively sound game and hope Lugo has another strong outing.

clav

Going to be a real tough one facing Stroman and that offense. PR going to have to play another defensively sound game and hope Lugo has another strong outing.

Lugo was decent for the Mets down the 2016 stretch when a lot of starters went down with injuries.

He's on a MLB team that knows how to farm + prep pitchers. If he's playing at Petco, he should pitch well.

Magni

Missed the end of the game, but I'm glad both Felix and Smyly had great games.

Also, as an American, I hate how we treat international tournaments. We don't care, and we have the worst chants. Living in Japan and seeing how the Japanese fans treat their team, and how their players treat their fans, it's night and day. Oh well.

ReMaKe

Yes but DR has never put together the kind of starting pitching rotation that Team USA could. Kershaw, Bumgarner, shit, just throw the Mets rotation out there. That would compliment a very potent US lineup.

That's been the biggest weakness of the Dominican Republic. We did have a 1-2 punch of Pedro Martinez and Johnny Cueto iirc in one of the wbc, but Pedro was starting to age. I do put Cueto in that category though. Of course he's just one pitcher though. Though Kershaw is known to choke in the big games, so I wouldn't care about him, Burmgarner is scary.

Anyways, congrats USA. Fridays game will be very interesting to watch.

That's been the biggest weakness of the Dominican Republic. We did have a 1-2 punch of Pedro Martinez and Johnny Cueto iirc in one of the wbc, but Pedro was starting to age. I do put Cueto in that category though. Of course he's just one pitcher though. Though Kershaw is known to choke in the big games, so I wouldn't care about him, Burmgarner is scary.

Anyways, congrats USA. Fridays game will be very interesting to watch.

Kershaw would choke and Bumgarner would be too psyched out by all the bat flips and celebrations.

Lugo was decent for the Mets down the 2016 stretch when a lot of starters went down with injuries.

He's on a MLB team that knows how to farm + prep pitchers. If he's playing at Petco, he should pitch well.
He was better than decent. He was great.

And it's absolutely stupid to get on these guys for "caring more about their money than national pride" like that's just ridiculous. Most of them are barred from playing to begin with and eceb if they weren't, of course they care about their money. This is their job. They have a limited window within which to make as much money as possible. What if Mike Trout rams the corner wall in a stadium he's never played in and ruins his shoulder?

Choomp

Banned
The US already has crazy depth tho

It's true, but I still think there'd still be someone better than Tanner Roark coming in after a starter if all those guys were to be playing.

That being said I'm very happy/impressed with Archer/Stroman/Smyly, they've been a lot better than I expected.

It's true, but I still think there'd still be someone better than Tanner Roark coming in after a starter if all those guys were to be playing.
If all those guys were playing the US wouldn't need depth wed win every game via mercy rule.

Our pitching is light-years ahead of the fields except MAYBE a 100% healthy DR or Japan.

clav

That being said I'm very happy/impressed with Archer/Stroman/Smyly, they've been a lot better than I expected.

If MLB had a top 50 pitcher list, all these guys would be in there with yes, Clayton Kershaw as #1.

I guess people are disappointed why baseball doesn't get the same treatment as basketball.

One thing i read also, maybe the WBC doesnt want all these top players to play. If they did, the insurance they would have to pay would be insane.

NYCrooner

Are we all just simply ignoring how serious a threat Japan is? They have won 2 out of 3 WBC titles and are currently 6-0 (albeit a weaker schedule). I know Pool F is made up of four teams with tremendous MLB talent but I feel like we are overlooking the fantastic ballplayers Japan puts on the field and how well they play together.

ReMaKe

Are we all just simply ignoring how serious a threat Japan is? They have won 2 out of 3 WBC titles and are currently 6-0 (albeit a weaker schedule). I know Pool F is made up of four teams with tremendous MLB talent but I feel like we are overlooking the fantastic ballplayers Japan puts on the field and how well they play together.

Japan is a powerhouse; however, they need to switch some of these teams and make other pools as competitive as pool f. Just about everyone expected them to come out of every pool they've played so far.
I hope they play a Pr, or Dr team to see how they fare.

Tonight's game is back in Miami, right? (dreams)

I'm sure there are some good fans in San Diego who are happy to see the games, but what a disappointment versus the Miami scene.

ReMaKe

Tonight's game is back in Miami, right? (dreams)

I'm sure there are some good fans in San Diego who are happy to see the games, but what a disappointment versus the Miami scene.

That San Diego crows sucks lol, MLB would've made a lot of money playing in Miami. Almost every game would've been sold out.

ReMaKe

Good inning for volquez. For the Dr to win this game he's gonna need to be accurate with his pitch selection. For Venezuela to win this game, they need to jump on him before the bullpen comes in.

NYCrooner

Seeing that PR vs USA preview is getting me so stoked. I'm going out to dinner and really don't want to now. Hopefully they are showing it at the place.

ReMaKe

Jeter doesn't get to that and wouldn't have the arm strength.

Well in the regard of arm and getting to the ball I'd say he's more like A-Rod; however, I was looking at it more from a motion perspective. The style.

Who would've thought this game would be 1-0 in the 6th inning?
If Dr holds on to win this will benefit them tremendously in case a tie occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom