• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

When I combine this tweet
with a photo I've seen of the supposed city room exit (not linking because NSFW/privacy) it definitely seems to an explosion of some sorts, and not just some loud noise some people speculate.
If the exit you're talking about has a sign saying metro it's fake and not of the Manchester Arena

Audioboxer

Ok, will have to take your word for it, because nothing else out there is saying this was confirmed to be an explosion.

Not at all, that has been confirmed by the British police. It's been on BBC News for a while. I know a lot of international GAF is watching on but many in here are watching BBC and Sky news on the TV.

Sorry to add to speculation, but what happens when a helium tank ruptures? Seeing as everyone is talking about balloons, there would have to be a tank nearby.

The eyewitness on BBC (the one with the scouse accent) said he was blown 30 feet by the blast and there were 30 people dead or in a bad way including kids :(

Oregano

The Manchester Arena is a huge stampede of people as it is when exiting. In normal circumstances it is a big long shuffle of people only just avoiding trampling as it is. I cannot imagine it with the panic and fear in the crowd fleeing. Awful.

Yeah, when I was leaving it after The Cure last year I nearly got separated from my friends and I'm tall enough to see over like 99% of people. I can't imagine what it would be like in a panic.

riotous

Banned
How many people don't use phones to take pictures nowadays?

Yeah it's certainly rarer and rarer these days.

Someone should reverse image search it and see if it's something they grabbed from a site.

edit: And yeah I was gonna say, also quite possible that's just deleted EXIF data, and the library Facebook uses stamps that date. Either way it doesn't prove it "fake"

Par Score

Would people please stop posting obvious fakes from random social media accounts.

Would other people please stop falling for them.

Have some respect for the dead for pity's sake.

Can you please stop saying this? British police have confirmed an explosion and there are casualties. Only the cause for the explosion hasn't been confirmed.

If you're in the UK put on BBC news.

No they haven't.

They have confirmed reports of an explosion. That is not the same as confirming an explosion.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to add to speculation, but what happens when a helium tank ruptures? Seeing as everyone is talking about balloons, there would have to be a tank nearby.

Almost nothing, it's helium.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Reliable news on number of deaths/injured yet? And what the motive was? I suppose it's too early for that.

no, first responders are on the scene and the police have closed it down so nobody really knows yet. eye witness reports as stated by BBC news saying 20-30 but that could include injuries.

MIMIC

Banned
Reliable news on number of deaths/injured yet? And what the motive was? I suppose it's too early for that.

Local police say "number of fatalities." MSNBC reports at least 20 (a number not reported by anyone else).

All I've seen so far.

There is still no official cause of the incident.

The eyewitness on BBC (the one with the scouse accent) said he was blown 30 feet by the blast and there were 30 people dead or in a bad way including kids :(

Yeah, if this is the same fellow that's on 5 Live, he also said that everyone ran away from the location of the explosion, which lessens the idea that this was just a stampede. These people were not injured via trampling.

100ppp

Helium is inert so even a fully pressurized cylinder at 2kPSI wouldn't explode. It would take off like a missile if the valve where knocked off, but not explode.

Top Bottom