• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Chipotle

Watching BBC News and so far they're being very careful not to say it's a terrorist incident. It doesn't mean it's not but there's a reason they're being careful and I'd wait to hear them say others.

You know American agencies of repute have international bureaus? The AP and NYT are international for example.

I wouldn't trust American cable news lol.

True. But UK news agencies will have more people on the ground, more access to local sources, and likely better relationships with organisations like GMP.

I would never trust US cable news. Shit tier news.

Madness

Watching BBC News and so far they're being very careful not to say it's a terrorist incident. It doesn't mean it's not but there's a reason they're being careful and I'd wait to hear them say others.

But when Police are telling others to stay away from the area, and you have a massive response, this leads me to think it wasn't some faulty stage accident.

The reason they are being careful is because they don't want to jump the gun. But there is no way this wasn't a targeted explosion.

Wes

venison crêpe
BBC News reporter speaking on BBC Five Live. He spoke to two Volunteer Paramedics who were at the concert (in that capacity) said that some of the injuries they treated was due to "lots of metal flying around" and they saw/treated wounds that were "shrapnel like".

Also mentioned, it is being treated as a Terrorist incident by police until otherwise ordered (as would be expected).

RulkezX

Just spoke to my mate who's wife and daughter were there. They're safe, but he was suggesting what they saw wasn't just a bang and a stampede.

LNBL

But when Police are telling others to stay away from the area, and you have a massive response, this leads me to think it wasn't some faulty stage accident.

The reason they are being careful is because they don't want to jump the gun. But there is no way this wasn't a targeted explosion.

I think that's just standard protocol when something likes this happens? Nothing is certain at the moment

Of course, but it's leaning heavily towards something pre-meditated, probably a bomb. What else would injure dozens of people and blow someone 20 feet back? I can't think of something like that which would normally be in the ticket area of a concert hall.

Concert has tens of thousands attending. Hundreds of injured. Dozens dead. No matter the cause they'll ask people to stay away. Really could still be anything.

I would never trust US cable news. Shit tier news.

The hierarchy seems to be social media being at the bottom with cable news being slightly above that but still pretty awful and then print being slightly better than that. All still fall victim to the rush to report something and end up being inaccurate.

It's probably the default terror response that would happen if there's a chance of an attack.

Audioboxer

Would people please stop posting obvious fakes from random social media accounts.

Would other people please stop falling for them.

Have some respect for the dead for pity's sake.

No they haven't.

They have confirmed reports of an explosion. That is not the same as confirming an explosion.

Are you watching BBC news? They've reported for a while now that the British transport police said an explosion in the foyer.

sflufan

Banned

That will be the standard law enforcement response in ANY type of situation such as this and should not be interpreted as suggesting a terrorist attack.

Sorry to add to speculation, but what happens when a helium tank ruptures? Seeing as everyone is talking about balloons, there would have to be a tank nearby.

You'd lose a lot of helium.

Ultimately anything u see high pressure can create force or a shockwave through the air. But think of the mechanics of an explosion.

It's essentially a system that generates high volumes of energy and gas, like creation of N2 from fertilizer bombs in very fast reaction in a very small space creating huge pressure which must expand.

Hydrogen H2 gas when oxidized (+fire) forms H20 and huge energy.

He Is already stable, doesn't form compounds easily (huge pressures etc needed, far beyond a tank) and wouldn't generate N2, O2 or anything else.

entremet

BBC News reporter speaking on BBC Five Live. He spoke to two Volunteer Paramedics who were at the concert (in that capacity) said that some of the injuries they treated was due to "lots of metal flying around" and they saw/treated wounds that were "shrapnel like".

Also mentioned, it is being treated as a Terrorist incident by police until otherwise ordered (as would be expected).
Looks consistent with the types of injuries you see on the photos.

Terrible.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

It won't necessarily be clear what could have caused the explosion for some time. The police urging caution under those circumstances is not surprising. This sort of speculation ought to be a bannable offense and I wish the NeoGAF moderators would take it more seriously.

R&R

BBC News reporter speaking on BBC Five Live. He spoke to two Volunteer Paramedics who were at the concert said that some of the injuries they treated was "lots of metal flying around" and they saw/treated wounds that were "shrapnel like".

As I suspected earlier based on pics of injuries...basically IED confirmed.

the stations were closed literally minutes after the first reports happened, it's a default response

Wes

venison crêpe
Buzzfeed news journalist is directly on scene and reports armed police has been deployed

https://twitter.com/hannahalothman/status/866797714276831232

There's armed police, bomb disposal and sniffer dogs on scene. Helicopter in air. Police cordon in place. This is all because it's being treated as a terrorist incident, but we don't know it was yet.

Greater Manchester Police have not briefed media any further than what is on twitter.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They are saying estimate up to 20 killed and up to 200 injured here on Portuguese news :(

Helium is inert so even a fully pressurized cylinder at 2kPSI wouldn't explode. It would take off like a missile if the valve where knocked off, but not explode.

Thanks. This was what I was wondering. I understand helium is inert, but I can't wrap my head around what would happen if the tank ruptured and all the contents of a tanks were released at once. The result of all that pressure released at once would have to cause some damage?

You'd lose a lot of helium.

Ultimately anything u see high pressure can create force or a shockwave through the air. But think of the mechanics of an explosion.

It's essentially a system that generates high volumes of energy and gas, like creation of N2 from fertilizer bombs in very fast reaction in a very small space creating huge pressure which must expand.

Hydrogen H2 gas when oxidized (+fire) forms H20 and huge energy.

He Is already stable, doesn't form compounds easily (huge pressures etc needed, far beyond a tank) and wouldn't generate N2, O2 or anything else.

Okay, that explain it better for me. Thanks

Chipotle

True, but important not to go too far with speculation. The police will have procedures that they follow and don't necessarily immediately know what's going on either.

It looks bad whatever the cause.

Does she use Pyro effects at her shows?

Maybe it was a tank or something like that?

I just saw Metallica recently and they had a ton of crazy fire and flamethrower shit going on.

Not sure what her shows are like though.

Top Bottom