• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

How the fuck did that animal manage to get in there with a bomb?

At my latest Metallica concert in Vienna both me and my wife were thoroughly searched at the entrance. They even looked in my cigarettes pack....

I mean security should be a lot tighter at these events with everything going on in Europe in the last couple of years.

RIP to the victims and strength for their families.
It was outside the venue.

dc89

They didn't. This was in the foyer between the arena and Victoria. The device was set off as people were flooding out of the concert.

It's been covered a couple of times in the thread, but to keep everyone updated I'll repeat it here; the explosion took place right outside the arena next to Victoria Street station at the end of the concert, when people were leaving. There would have been no need to check for a bomb there, as it's still public space, which seems to have been the bomber's plan.

Ah I see. Thanks.

What a deprived cunt to do something like this.

At my latest Metallica concert in Vienna both me and my wife were thoroughly searched at the entrance. They even looked in my cigarettes pack....

I mean security should be a lot tighter at these events with everything going on in Europe in the last couple of years.

Seriously, do people even read details? It didn't happen inside the concert, it was outside the main concert hall and inside the foyer.

LiK

Apparently from reports and sources on the news, he attacked outside when people were leaving after it ended. There was no way to stop that.

The arena also tweeted that it happened outside.

KonradLaw

He didn't get inside. He blew himself at the entrance. if he got inside the death toll would be far higher

I studied in Manchester and visit regularly, I'd call it my second home after Birmingham.

So this has hit really hard as I have so many friends there and have a sister of the age that would have got to an Ariana Grande concert. Its so disgusting that a children's concert was chosen.

RIP to all the deceased and I wish the best to the injured.

I hope that the city can continue coming together as it seems to from the articles I've read of people pitching in to help.

MilkyJoe

Was after the concert, guess security had all but stood down as people were leaving.

LNBL

I work in Manchester a lot.

I've read reports suggesting the attacker acted alone, I hope this is true and it's just some lone wolf and not something bigger.

In this day and age with all the surveillance, technology and counter terrorism that this can still happen is truly frightening.

Regardless whether it was a lone wolf, Isis will happily claim this was their doing even if the suicide bomber acted on his own. Hope the police can ID the bastard

He didn't get inside. He blew himself at the entrance. if he got inside the death toll would be far higher

I think the death toll is higher as there was probably a sea of people swarming out. I don't know man, what is this world coming to.

The fact that this worked would probably embolden others to try.

LiK

Regardless whether it was a lone wolf, Isis will happily claim this was their doing even if the suicide bomber acted on his own. Hope the police can ID the bastard

CBS News said sources told them he's been ID'd and they're tracking his movements with CCTV. That was the latest a few hours ago.

Went to bed reading reports that balloons had popped near the PA and scared everyone, thought that's all it would be. Was not expecting this at all. Gotta be an especially sick fuck to target a kids/teen concert. Can't imagine what those parents are going through right now.

I'm going to see Metallica live in Oct at the Genting arena in Bham...doesn't instill the greatest of confidence :/

Piggus

Absolutely sickening. Was hoping it was minor based on early reports, so seeing the death toll so high is heartbreaking. Terrorist are subhuman scum. Every single one of them deserves to be hunted down and eradicated.

I'm going to see Metallica live in Oct at the Genting arena in Bham...doesn't instill the greatest of confidence :/

It'll be fine. I've got a show at the O2 Arena London this weekend to go to, and just booked train tickets to go and see one in Manchester in July (at the cathedral, down the road from this place). Can't let em stop me doing what I love to do!

xrnzaaas

I work in Manchester a lot.

I've read reports suggesting the attacker acted alone, I hope this is true and it's just some lone wolf and not something bigger.

In this day and age with all the surveillance, technology and counter terrorism that this can still happen is truly frightening.

Aren't you used by now to the fact that the police and the press like to hide the information about the attacker's ethnicity and about relations to known terrorist groups?

Aren't you used by now to the fact that the police and the press like to hide the information about the attacker's ethnicity and possible relations to terrorist groups?

Hide?

Perhaps our police are just getting on with their job and not releasing every bit of unverified info.

fanboi

Banned
Aren't you used by now to the fact that the police and the press like to hide the information about the attacker's ethnicity and about relations to known terrorist groups?

?

I mean spewing unconfirmed news is horrible, just look at Boston bombing.

liquidtmd

Banned

And the point of publicising their ethnicity and links to known terrorist groups would be....?

I understand the desire to know as much as possible about the hows and whys, but you implicitly use the word 'hide'. Sometimes there are many other considerations in play that make broadcasting this information not wise.

Absolutely sickening. Was hoping it was minor based on early reports, so seeing the death toll so high is heartbreaking. Terrorist are subhuman scum. Every single one of them deserves to be hunted down and eradicated.

I don't understand why the UK government doesn't deport every single person remotely suspected of being an extremist. Maybe it's easier to keep tabs on their activities?

I don't understand why the UK government doesn't deport every single person remotely suspected of being an extremist. Maybe it's easier to keep tabs on their activities?

Because innocent people would be deported ?
It's crazy how people are quick to break because of fear. Terrorist win.

Plasma

Banned
Terrible news my thoughts go to the family of the victims.

I shouldn't be shocked but I still struggle to comprehend how somebody could be so sick and twisted to do something like this.

liquidtmd

Banned

Because it would be a legal, moral, logistical, impractical, counter-productive exercise that more likely than not done anything to prevent this

Maximus P

Just found out about this.

My Wife and 9 year old daughter were going to go to this event but had to cancel becuase my wife had to do emergency cover at work.

Thank God.

This has shook me up.

Maledict

Deport them to where?

On what grounds?

What about the fact many terrorists are British citizens?

I think you're letting your prejudices show with this statement...

f0rk

I work near the station and commute through Victoria from Leeds every day. Trains are running as normal to Piccadilly, feels like it's quieter than normal.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Just found out about this.

My Wife and 9 year old daughter were going to go to this event but had to cancel becuase my wife had to do emergency cover at work.

Thank God.

This has shook me up.
I can understand that. I am glad your wife and daughter are safe.

Because innocent people would be deported ?
It's crazy how people are quick to break because of fear. Terrorist win.

I'd rather be deported than blown up. Besides, the secret services have a pretty good handle on who the key players are. They likely want to keep close tabs on them so allow them to stay.

Angel_DvA

As French, I know the feel, there's a big Muslim community in Manchester, please don't backlash against them. This attack committed by evil disturbed man, stay strong our British friends.

That's like asking why don't they imprison everyone suspected of possibly committing a crime. Punishment is to be enacted in response to a crime, not as some Minority Report PreCrime.

That's the morale of the movie too, you always have the choice, you can always do the right things before committing something terrible.

That's like asking why don't they imprison everyone suspected of possibly committing a crime. Punishment is to be enacted in response to a crime, not as some Minority Report PreCrime.

Also where would you deport the pre-terrorist if they were born a citizen?

Deport them to where?

On what grounds?

What about the fact many terrorists are British citizens?

I think you're letting your prejudices show with this statement...

I'm only prejudiced against terrorists. I don't care if they're British or not. We've allowed hate preaching to carry on for too long and these are the consequences.

duckroll

A comment like that could easily suggest that you're an extremist in some way as well. This mentality is dangerous towards minorities and immigrants. Who is to say if one day you might decide to take action into your own hands? It seems like the best approach would be for the government to take your advice and deport you to the middle of nowhere. How would you feel about that?

We've allowed hate preaching to carry on for too long and these are the consequences.

I agree, don't you think it's time that you stopped?

ExitPotato

Neo Member

Because the acting extremists are a minority of, and not fully contained in the group of, suspected extremists, presumably.

There's something inherently wrong with assuming all extremists aren't born in the UK either. Where would you deport them to?

Was this a suicide attack? Seems to be conflicting info from what I can tell.

He's probably going to to turn to be British born. Where would he have been deported to?

Jb

God the idea that someone would target a place where so many underage teens were having fun is so sickening.

My heart bleeds for the victims' loved ones, the city of Manchester and all the good people of Britain.

RIP

Top Bottom