• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Keri

My heart absolutely breaks, thinking about this. I can't imagine how awful it must be, to know your child was at this event, but not know if they're safe. And knowing that some parents are inevitably going to find out their children were killed, is unimaginable.

I'd rather be deported than blown up. Besides, the secret services have a pretty good handle on who the key players are. They likely want to keep close tabs on them so allow them to stay.

It won't be you that would be deported so please have some kind of logic. The correct statement would be "I rather have THEM deported to be blown up".
You said "remotely suspected of being extremist". Do you understand the meaning of "remotely" ? Do you understand the meaning of "suspected"?

It would be 1* Unethical, since you will ruin a tons of innocent people's lives, 2* Inefficient because anti-terrorism works while you can listen to people suspected of being extremist to bring you closer to the reals terrorists. It's like killing all you're leads.

liquidtmd

Banned
I'm only prejudiced against terrorists. I don't care if they're British or not. We've allowed hate preaching to carry on for too long and these are the consequences.

But you also used the words 'even remotely suspected'.

This leads to profiling, guilty or innocent. What would you do, if they came for you?

A comment like that could easily suggest that you're an extremist in some way as well. This mentality is dangerous towards minorities and immigrants. Who is to say if one day you might decide to take action into your own hands? It seems like the best approach would be for the government to take your advice and deport you to the middle of nowhere. How would you feel about that?

I agree, don't you think it's time that you stopped?

You're right and I apologize. I'm extremely frustrated and angry by this.

Moff

The book from which this number comes is more then 10 years old, thousands of random people have been blown up by suicide bombers for being not sunni enough since then.

We're currently at hundreds of suicide attacks per year.

Of course you can claim the suicide attacks are caused by military resistance to sunni extremists trying to take power. If no one resisted no suicide attacks would be needed, you'd just be marched off to a ditch.
Thanks for the input, appreciate it. Are there any recent numbers/statistics available?
I have found an interview from 2015 where the author talks about isis but it never actually says from what years the most recent numbers are from.

Moosichu

I don't understand why the UK government doesn't deport every single person remotely suspected of being an extremist. Maybe it's easier to keep tabs on their activities?

Because they are British?

And considering more people die getting dressed than in terrorist attacks, why don't we deport all clothing?

Just saw your other post. And yes, the is so upsetting. But the terrorists want to inspire terror, don't let them.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
A comment like that could easily suggest that you're an extremist in some way as well. This mentality is dangerous towards minorities and immigrants. Who is to say if one day you might decide to take action into your own hands? It seems like the best approach would be for the government to take your advice and deport you to the middle of nowhere. How would you feel about that?

I agree, don't you think it's time that you stopped?

Come on. Feeling rage about the people who committed this atrocity is not the same as the extremist who committed this crime.
Lots of folks feel this way and it's understandable.

Saying he's an extremist is ridiculous.

Born and raised in Manchester, have been to that venue and station more times than I can count. Of all the things to attack, a concert for teenagers..senseless, pointless. RIP to everyone.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I knew it was going to be worse when I woke up but reading that kids were involved is really devastating. I can't think of a more cowardly act.

cameron

Aren't you used by now to the fact that the police and the press like to hide the information about the attacker's ethnicity and about relations to known terrorist groups?

Looking back at the Westminister attack in March, information about the attacker and his accomplices were reported as details emerged.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...parliament-resumes-tributes-keith-palmer-live

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...on-attack-police-terrorist-khalid-masood-live

What information was hidden?

duckroll

Come on. Feeling rage about the people who committed this atrocity is not the same as the extremist who committed this crime.

Yes there is certainly nothing extreme about suggesting that the government should deport their own citizens who are merely suspected of criminal intent. Nothing at all. Totally understandable. I'm sure lots of folks feel this way. Which is why we have Brexit and shitstains leading the government in the US and UK now. Nothing extreme at all. Perfectly normal.

Yes there is certainly nothing extreme about suggesting that the government should deport their own citizens who are merely suspected of criminal intent. Nothing at all. Totally understandable. I'm sure lots of folks feel this way. Which is why we have Brexit and shitstains leading the government in the US and UK now. Nothing extreme at all. Perfectly normal.

He's venting. There's a huge difference.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

We don't know who has committed this atrocity, though. For example, we don't know if it was committed by a British national or not. The original poster suggested deportation, which implied that they were not British nationals. They are not in a position to know that and should refrain from all speculation on such a matter. People can get hurt. Look at the vigilante groups that formed after the Boston bombings.

Way to misread what you quoted. It wasn't equating the notion of deporting all suspected terrorists to terrorist attacks. It was saying that it's also a form of extremism. Which it absolutely is. One that ironically will lead to more terrorism in retaliation.

He's venting. There's a huge difference.

And he was rightfully pointed out that his venting was promoting an extreme attitude.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Unfortunately these types of events are slowly becoming the norm across the western world and folks are starting to get extremely pissed off about it.

Anyway. Let's have this conversation another day. I appreciate your viewpoint but I feel too raw to discuss it the mo.

Maledict

Looking back at the Westminister attack in March, information about the attacker and his accomplices were reported as details emerged.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...parliament-resumes-tributes-keith-palmer-live

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...on-attack-police-terrorist-khalid-masood-live

What information was hidden?

To be fair, following that incident the security services all spoke with the press directly about the potential impact of their reporting. I suspect this has had an effect on how this is being covered. The immediate 24 hours following an incident are critical, and anything which potentially gives a terrorist cell an edge should be avoided.

Christhor

I think it's normal for people to want to live somewhere safe.

Extreme reaction isn't the same as being an extremist. You know that. It's understandable to have extreme reactions to shocking events. Quite ironic how your own reaction is also extreme and yet you can't see it. You're labelling everyone who voted leave a nutjob and the UK government shitstains. Showing your true colours.

It would be 1* Unethical, since you will ruin a tons of innocent people's lives, 2* Inefficient because anti-terrorism works while you can listen to people suspected of being extremist to bring you closer to the reals terrorists. It's like killing all you're leads.

If the one who carried out this attack turns out to be like so many before: 'small time criminal, radicalised in prison, known to the authorities' there is a limit to the number of times you can argue they need to be free to keep tabs on the real terrorists. This was one of the deadliest attacks ever, it does not get more real then this.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I don't understand why the UK government doesn't deport every single person remotely suspected of being an extremist. Maybe it's easier to keep tabs on their activities?

How are you going to deport British nationals?

Septic360

Banned
Unfortunately these types of events are slowly becoming the norm across the western world and folks are starting to get extremely pissed off about it.

Anyway. Let's have this conversation another day. I appreciate your viewpoint but I feel too raw to discuss it the mo.

And that's the point. People who are unable to make a sensible comment as a result of their raw emotions are being called out for the silly things they say.

spuckthew

Jesus, I went to bed just as I read a comment somewhere about there being an explosion with people suggesting that something with the entertainment setup probably just went pop...7 hours later 22 people have been killed...

RIP :(

Moosichu

That is true. That is also why its so important to point out that extreme reactions to extreme events will make you anything but safe. Do you think American citizens are safer than they were before now that Trump is in power?

Oersted

If the one who carried out this attack turns out to be like so many before: 'small time criminal, radicalised in prison, known to the authorities' there is a limit to the number of times you can argue they need to be free to keep tabs on the real terrorists. This was one of the deadliest attacks ever, it does not get more real then this.

I also love talking out of my ass

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah but there are levels to that. Poorer people tend to commit more crimes some of which lead to murder. Should we deport all people below a certain income threshold on the chance they may commit a crime?

cyberheater

That is true. That is also why its so important to point out that extreme reactions to extreme events will make you anything but safe. Do you think American citizens are safer than they were before now that Trump is in power?

For gods sake. Can we leave Trump out if this.

azyless

How are you going to deport British nationals?
In France our moronic government wanted to strip them of their french citizenship and ban them from the country, since a lot of them have dual citizenship. It was for convicted terrorists though if I recall correctly, deporting suspects is even more stupid.

utterly saddening. Hearing reports from parents who still haven't been in touch with their child is heartbreaking.

A lady I work with had two daughters at the concert and she was in absolute panic when she couldn't get hold of them last night. She posted on Facebook begging her daughters friends or anyone to get in touch and let her know they were ok. Was absolutely heartbreaking that she couldn't get hold of them and you feared the worst.

They got in touch eventually and have made it home safe and sound but are obviously shook up by the whole thing, they had left just before the final song to beat the crowds but left via a different exit so are extremely lucky.

Literally came back from holiday with my dad from the holiday hell and told him how great it feels to be home. Absolutely upsetting news and hope the police manage to punish those for this act.

Moosichu

Aweful news, my heart goes to all victims families.

I really cannot understand human race anymore.

The human race has always had awful people in it. The fact that these events are so newsworthy is in indication of how rare they are in certain parts of the world - which shows how far we have come and how far we can go. Let this event reinforce your faith in humanity by looking at the outpouring of love to the victims of this terrible act.

Razmos

Jesus, I went to bed just as I read a comment somewhere about there being an explosion with people suggesting that something with the entertainment setup probably just went pop...7 hours later 22 people have been killed...

RIP :(
Yeah this was exactly the same for me. I went to bed after seeing someone say it might have just been a speaker blowing. Woke up this morning and decided to check just in case and was absolutely shocked

duckroll

Extreme reaction isn't the same as being an extremist. You know that. It's understandable to have extreme reactions to shocking events. Quite ironic how your own reaction is also extreme and yet you can't see it. You're labelling everyone who voted leave a nutjob and the UK government shitstains. Showing your true colours.

I thought you apologized? I guess you can't help fighting back to defend the honor of Brexit and Theresa May? Cool.

Top Bottom