• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Aren't follow-up attacks in the same general area a rarity? I would have to imagine any more would be somewhere else, like another country.

My guess is they fear some sort of conspiracy or group and they believe they might act rashly or activate dormant plans because they fear being caught.

I don't think they have evidence of any specific plot, just the idea that others might want to do something before they can't.

Are we? I mean, im not going to deny that some of the UK's parties behave Orwellian but what was Orwellian about that conference?

Besides the presence of the spectre that haunted George Orwell during the writing of 1984.

Yeah, I don't really understand what he means

Auctopus

The military is being deployed? When did that last happen.

Happens quite a lot for varying situations. It's usually if the police are stretched, which I imagine they are.

I feel like this stuff gives some people in this thread a bit of a hard-on, like they feel like they're a part of an intelligence team by posting in this thread.

Just take the news as it comes and stop jumping to conclusions and trying to work up the situation to be more emotional/stressful as it already is.

Apologies if it's not really the place to but this interested me in the BBC article about the terror level going up:

Military personnel may also be seen at other events, such as concerts, Mrs May said, and would work under the command of police officers.

Isn't this backwards? Don't the military outrank the police when it comes to order of command?

They didn't appear to have any intelligence about last night. Suggest it was organised away from channels GCHQ can spy on.

Yes, but from details it seems last night was someone who was susceptible to influence rather than some battle-hardened terrorist from overseas...basically there might not be a tonne GCHQ could do : /

If they get credible intelligence that would pose a threat it'll be called off, but otherwise they're not going to.

NBC reporting that the man arrested earlier was the attackers brother.

Yet again NBC quoting US officials on details that have yet to be reported from any UK media outlets.

Loose lips from US intelligence. I doubt their UK counterparts will be pleased.

Audioboxer

Only positive thing is if they know about it they are more likely to be able to stop it.

This. As also said the level will have gone up for all public services and security to prepare accordingly. Our forces do great work, I'm sure they'll be working diligently to stop any threats.

ColdPizza

Banned
1htnz

Yet again NBC quoting US officials on details that have yet to be reported from any UK media outlets.

Wouldn't it make sense that the US is scooping the UK where our intelligence is concerned?

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/1htnz"><a href="//imgur.com/1htnz"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Man, you are having a lot of trouble showing that image

King_Moc

Banned
Apologies if it's not really the place to but this interested me in the BBC article about the terror level going up:

Isn't this backwards? Don't the military outrank the police when it comes to order of command?

The police already have protocols in place for managing large scale events like that, the military don't. So it just makes sense.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/1htnz"><a href="//imgur.com/1htnz"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

UK counterparts have already complained that the US are leakier than a busted faucet, nothing will come of it though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

The point is to keep them under the civil chain of command. They're a helping hand, but we're not some tinpot dictatorship triggering martial law.

cartesian

Poet Tony Walsh recites "The Place " at the vigil. Spine tingling, eye watering stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=josaDi9ZBvE

Concentrate on actual brilliance like this, not the professional trolls filling the world with bile.

Wow, no kidding. I'm not usually one for poetry but this is electrifying.

I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but that moment when he mentions 'the girl from Moss Side' was incredible and made me feel so proud of how tolerant our society can be at it's best... I could feel myself starting to tear up.

boxoctosis

Have a read of this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...he-civil-authorities-for-activities-in-the-uk

This bit is pertinent.

Military assistance is provided on the basis that the relevant civil authority retains responsibility for, and control over, the situation and/or emergency. Military personnel on UK operations remain under a military command structure.

boxoctosis

Yes, but from details it seems last night was someone who was susceptible to influence rather than some battle-hardened terrorist from overseas...basically there might not be a tonne GCHQ could do : /

If they get credible intelligence that would pose a threat it'll be called off, but otherwise they're not going to.

Sure. To be clear I'm not casting aspersions at our intelligence community, more I know the government wants to spy on everything we do. If they had access to WhatsApp for instance would it have prevented this? Anyway, now's maybe not the time for this one.

The country is a fucking mess, it makes me quite sad.

Maledict

Why the *fuck* are USA government officials leaking to the American press about an ongoing terrorism operation in the Uk? That's how the guys name got out in the first place, and now the details on the arrest?

What the fuck is wrong with these people? We're suppossed to be your damn allies?

Acorn

Why the *fuck* are USA government officials leaking to the American press about an ongoing terrorism operation in the Uk? That's how the guys name got out in the first place, and now the details on the arrest?

What the fuck is wrong with these people? We're suppossed to be your damn allies?
I know right. It's infuriating and dangerous.
Edit I'm surprised at American media being so reckless too.

Auctopus

I think our agencies may be more cautious with giving the US sensitive info around the case. Atleast I hope so.

I can tell you as someone who works for a University and handles United States Citizen documents of our students - Universities are very aware of how leaky the USA is with confidential information.

No idea about our security forces though.

Tereasa May has a hard on for a police state. This is just phase 1. In fact no, the snoopers charter was phase 1, fuck lot of good that did clearly. I would rather live under the threat of terrorism than sit back and watch civil liberties be eroded by a right wing totalitarian government for my "safety".

I think our agencies may be more cautious with giving the US sensitive info around the case. Atleast I hope so.

Same.

Sure. To be clear I'm not casting aspersions at our intelligence community, more I know the government wants to spy on everything we do. If they had access to WhatsApp for instance would it have prevented this? Anyway, now's maybe not the time for this one.

The country is a fucking mess, it makes me quite sad.

Oh, I know. Didn't mean to sound accusatory, sorry if I did. It's too easy to do whatif-isms etc about these sorts of things. And...surveillance will perennially be a complicated issue because there's the GCHQ/MI5 + 6 PoV vs others. But yeaah, as you said..not the time.

That is also what gives you all those juiciy Trump leaks, that shit doesnt have an on/off button.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Started reading bios for the victims. Couldn't make it past an 8 year old girl, only second in the list of deceased before tearing up.

Hazzuh

NBC continuing to share this sort of information is just disgusting. The police may be in the middle of trying to stop another attack and the US media is so eager to get a scoop that they are giving away information which could help terrorists.

THE:MILKMAN

I talked about this last night and agree. I understand why the UK would share with the US in the first instance but now it seems to be a domestic-based attack why the need?

Especially with everything being leaked all day....

Absolute lack of respect for an ongoing investigation. Completely understand the need to share intelligence with our allies, but to then divulge that information to the press when the UK press has not released any names yet really pisses me off.

Acorn

That is also what gives you all those juiciy Trump leaks, that shit doesnt have an on/off button.
I mean they possess the ability to distinguish between sensitive information on an ongoing terrorism case and a idiot president trying to cover up shit.

It's not a valid excuse.

Tereasa May has a hard on for a police state. This is just phase 1. In fact no, the snoopers charter was phase 1, fuck lot of good that did clearly. I would rather live under the threat of terrorism than sit back and watch civil liberties be eroded by a right wing totalitarian government for my "safety".

What?

Auctopus

I don't think tweets like the one Hackney Police just sent out help much. Sounds like they're about to storm the beaches of Normandy - as if our Police force is about to go on the attack.

Started reading bios for the victims. Couldn't make it past an 8 year old girl, only second in the list of deceased before tearing up.

Yeah when the news broke about the little girl, my heart sank. I had seen the messages on twitter looking for her and hoped so much she was maybe in a hotel or something for people separated. Realising she was one of the victims, I really struggled to hold back the tears. In fact seeing all the missing messages has been heartbreaking all these poor people worrying for loved ones, only to find out they are gone is so wrong. What an awful world we live in right now, so much bloodshed of innocents.

Yeah when the news broke about the little girl, my heart sank. I had seen the messages on twitter looking for her and hoped so much she was maybe in a hotel or something for people separated. Realising she was one of the victims, I really struggled to hold back the tears. In fact seeing all the missing messages has been heartbreaking all these poor people worrying for loved ones, only to find out they are gone is so wrong. What an awful world we live in right now, so much bloodshed of innocents.

The mother of the 8 year old is critically injured in hospital and doesn't know the news yet.

Acorn

Your link only claims that 2% are "Religiously Motivated." It doesn't give a figure for how many are committed by muslims, nor does it give a definition for what counts as a terrorist attack or what the numerator and denominator are for the calculated percentage, and the whole article seems generally agenda-driven and nebulous in its claims.
This is the second time you've made this post word for word. Wtf?

See my and others replies on the previous pages

Top Bottom