• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Oregano

Back from a long day at work. Atmosphere was pretty normal to be honest, even from people that were at the show last night.

My work friend who was there last night said they thought it was just a balloon popping until everyone started panicking.

The best way we can win is by just continuing on and not letting cowards and murderers determine how we live our lives.

It would probably largely be best to ignore Hopkins. She has trash opinions not formed around any credibility and simply looks to be obsessively cold hearted, callous and bigoted for personal gain/fame. A complete waste of anyone's time and effort. The kind of life you might look back at on your death bed and say what the hell was wrong with me?

I think it's always worth keeping an eye on people like Hopkins, mainly so you know what kind of nefarious shit they are pushing and trying to incite others to do.

Acorn

They already know the verbal diarrhoea that flows from her mouth. This isn't the US speech laws so she is treading on ice. More so because messages that can be inferred to incite violence are going to get you into serious shit. That's the case even in the US to be fair, but they're more relaxed about volatile hate than we are.

It's always frustrating as hell when people in places of privelege with decent wealth behave like genuine thundercunts. Then again, as I said above she's made her wealth being an attention seeker and saying ridiculous shit to get reactions. It's worse when it all comes under the guise of political commentator/journalist. Then again, it's the Daily Mail. If Alien life were given one thing off of planet Earth to read and it was an issue of the DM, they'd nuke us from space.
I remember the Scottish guy that got jailed during the riots for incitment. It's infuriating that because she is a "journalist" she is treated as above the law for hate speech and trying to incite people to attack others.

Audioboxer

I think it's always worth keeping an eye on people like Hopkins, mainly so you know what kind of nefarious shit they are pushing and trying to incite others to do.

True. I think it's just tiredness of seeing her pop up yet again. It's like when Piers Morgan opens his mouth. A stream of hot shit. The both of them are like clones of each other. From what I've glanced at he's in the headlines again around this as well for something he has said.

Acorn

True. I think it's just tiredness of seeing her pop up yet again. It's like when Piers Morgan opens his mouth. A stream of hot shit. The both of them are like clones of each other. From what I've glanced at he's in the headlines again around this as well for something he has said.
Yes he is. Stated all Muslims need to take responsibility...

Evil bastard.

Back from a long day at work. Atmosphere was pretty normal to be honest, even from people that were at the show last night.

My work friend who was there last night said they thought it was just a balloon popping until everyone started panicking.

The best way we can win is by just continuing on and not letting cowards and murderers determine how we live our lives.

I went for a quick walk through the NQ to grab some food and I thought it felt a lot somber whilst at the same time people being more friendly than usual but it certainly lacked the vibe you normally find in the area on such a sunny day.

Betty

Banned

That's what most of us do, and have being doing.

But when these things keep on happening more and more people are going to become fed up and choose extreme ideas or follow volatile people.

So unless these attacks suddenly stop, expect the notion of just carrying on and living as normal to fall on ever increasing deaf ears.

Acorn

But when these things keep on happening more and more people are going to become fed up and choose extreme ideas or follow volatile people.

So unless these attacks suddenly stop, expect the notion of just carrying on and living as normal to fall on ever increasing deaf ears.
We as a nation remained steadfast through the IRA years. Even with the current climate of hate and my cynical nature I think there are enough good people in this country to stop this from happening.

Betty

Banned
We as a nation remained steadfast through the IRA years. Even with the current climate of hate and my cynical nature I think there are enough good people in this country to stop this from happening.

I'd agree if it wasn't for Brexit.

And if that goes as bad as everyone fears, it's just going to get worse.

Acorn

We can remember their names which is evidence they were anomalies. Not the case with islamic terrorism.
You're talking shite, check the figures on terrorism. Less then 2% (as of 2015) of terrorist attacks are Muslims in europe.

I suspect you know this but want to spread bigotry.

Edit https://thinkprogress.org/less-than-2-percent-of-terrorist-attacks-in-the-e-u-are-religiously-motivated-cec7d8ebedf6

Stats from europol, can't post the image for some reason.

azyless

There's a good point in there about communautarism in the UK but phrases like this :
We Muslims need to take a long hard look at ourselves and ask what are we actually contributing to this country in return for the hospitality we are offered?
yikes.
If you're british you have the right to live there, it's not being "offered hospitality" and it's not conditional to any sort of contribution.

And then he gets even more all over the place about deporting innocent families or some other nonsense.

Oregano

I went for a quick walk through the NQ to grab some food and I thought it felt a lot somber whilst at the same time people being more friendly than usual but it certainly lacked the vibe you normally find in the area on such a sunny day.

It was a bit weird because of the sheer amount of police and the fact that a whole bunch of places were shut but everyone seemed pretty chill from what I could say. Market Street was a bit emptier than usual though.

I guess...

Izuna

Banned
Holy shit

Dear student,

All at the University of Salford have been shocked and saddened by the events of last night. Our thoughts are with all those involved, their families and their friends. We have provided, and continue to provide, support to all students and staff that have been affected.

We have now learnt that the suspect named by Police, Salman Abedi, was a student of the University. This is a further shock to all of us, and we understand how this will affect all members of our University community.

Great cities, like great people, show their true values in adversity. The support and help we have seen given across Manchester and Salford last night and today shows the true spirit of our area. This is an amazing place, and we stand by each other.

In an unrelated incident earlier this evening there was an evacuation of three buildings on campus as a precautionary measure for a short period of time. We are grateful for the calm way in which students cooperated with the evacuation. All buildings reopened quickly and we have returned to business as usual.

If you need support, we’re here for you: our askUS service is your first port of call. Visit the desk at University House, go online at http://www.askus.salford.ac.uk/contact or call 0161 2950023. Our Faith Centre provides a quiet space if you need a place for contemplation, and our chaplains are there to support you if you need it.

It’s likely there will be significant media attention on campus over the next few days, and members of the press may approach students for comment. We are managing the press, and we encourage you to refer them to the University’s Press Office. You don’t have to talk to them if you don’t want to.

We are strong, and we stand together.
Yours,
Neil Fowler

shandy706

There's a good point in there about communautarism in the UK but phrases like this :

yikes.
If you're british you have the right to live there, it's not being "offered hospitality" and it's not conditional to any sort of contribution.

And then he gets even more all over the place about deporting innocent families or some other nonsense.

Chances are he's incredibly angry. He's angry that people who get compared to him are killing innocent kids. He's angry that people who "claim" his religion and where he comes from as an excuse/reasoning to kill others.

I don't blame him, I'm over here in the US and I'm absolutely infuriated by this (having 2 daughters). People want to "do something", but feel helpless. I'd love to take out every single ISIS member myself at this very moment if I could....but that's simply impossible.

Most of us have to just sit around and watch....we have no way to "act" and help the situation directly. I'm at such a loss of words for the families that lost friends/daughters/wives/husbands/sons :(.

kmax

Seriously people. The Chief Constable overseeing this investigation is urging people to show unity in the face of terrorism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnDWQpN0ULE

Listen to him. I beg you.

Unity is the best way to respond to these terrorist atrocities. Standing united against the evil forces that want to divide us is paramount in order to uphold our values of a free and open society. They can go to hell because the most important pillars we have as a free society aren't going away.

Acorn

I'd agree if it wasn't for Brexit.

And if that goes as bad as everyone fears, it's just going to get worse.
I know what you mean. Brexit does give me pause.

In regards to possible economic struggles, we were in that position in the 80s with IRA attacks and a poor economy so I'm still hopeful we don't succumb to those urges.

Audioboxer

Holy shit

Yikes. Someone with a potential future. Not to recycle posts and posts from earlier, but the police will have to try and investigate how he was influenced/radicalised. I'm sure they are, arrests have been going on throughout the day. The attacker doesn't need to be without ambition or direction in life, I didn't argue that earlier, just that it's predominantly males, often young, and their minds get taken over by the allure of "fighting for a cause". Summed up as martyrdom. This isn't sympathy for the killer, not at all, just an attempt at explaining how someone like this, in a place of privilege like Uni, can commit such an atrocity.

BBC reporting that the terrorist likely attended Didsbury Mosque.

A "moderate, modern, liberal mosque."

Their Imam preached out against ISIS according to heavy.com

This didn't come from his community.

LNBL

So the police are still classifying it as a lone wolf act? Haven't been keeping up in the last hours.

Fucking isis would claim the attack regardless of whether he was a lone wolf or not. Hoping official sources can find some more information on his intentions and the "why".

Heartbroken to see all the parents that are still missing children :(

Acorn

Further info from west mids police regarding the Birmingham vigil arrest
West Mids police said:
A man has been arrested following a disturbance near a vigil in Birmingham city centre this evening (Wednesday 23 May 2017).

The 39-year-old Birmingham man – who is known to police and is thought to have a history of mental ill-health - was arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon.

The event was being held in support of the victims of yesterday’s Manchester terror attack.

Superintendent Andy Parsons, responsible for policing in the west of Birmingham, said: “Officers spotted the man acting suspiciously and spoke to him. At this point they have arrested him.

“The man was carrying a bag, and as a precaution, Victoria Square where the vigil was being held was cleared for around 15 minutes.

“A small axe was recovered along with a large stick.

“We will be interviewing the man to understand his intentions after mental health experts have assessed his condition.

“I’d like to thank people for the calm and collected way in which they responded to the incident. The professionalism of our officers who responded to the incident is also commendable and indicative of British policing.
https://www.west-midlands.police.uk/latest-news/news.aspx?id=5684

Betty

Banned
BBC reporting that the terrorist likely attended Didsbury Mosque.

A "moderate, modern, liberal mosque."

Their Imam preached out against ISIS according to heavy.com

This didn't come from his community.

He was probably radicalised online sure, but unless you were at the same places where he was you can't know he wasn't influenced by someone in his community or mosque.

He was probably radicalised online sure, but unless you were at the same places where he was you can't know he wasn't influenced by someone in his community or mosque.

Let's not baselessly slander the people in Didsbury when none of the evidence points in their direction and the evidence we have points elsewhere.

Acorn

I think we need to be careful with speculation around this tbh.

Betty

Banned
Let's not baselessly slander the people in Didsbury when none of the evidence points in their direction and the evidence we have points elsewhere.

I'm not, i'm saying you can't say for sure since we don't know for sure.

Unless the police or investigators come out and say he wasn't influenced by people or propaganda in his social circles we can't definitively say he wasn't.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything.

Jumeira

Banned
The fuck my dude?

Another chestnut that's in no way trying to encourage any kind of response from 'western men'...

9Mim636.png

Sounds like ISIS inspired speech. Her use of Western is deliberate to separate white from the rest, create and exploit a divide then turn them against each other through blanket generalisation and a need for survival. She is a cunt to take advantage of this situation and create more havok. Can't believe she has her own slot on mainstream radio.

Top Bottom