• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24: Live Another Day |OT| Game of Drones

foxtrot3d

Banned
I think he knows it's wrong, but the beast is unleashed. That's what he is.

Or could it be that the writers have long ago forgotten how to write Jack as a consistent character? Thus, he is murder man in one second and remorseful tired old vet the next second.

EDIT:

You're basically asking them not to acknowledge his character development.

What character development? That bad shit has happened to him? Bad shit happens to Jack Bauer every day.

Man, so sad to see it end. I was liking it, even with all the over the top things. I hope that they make another season, but even if they don't I'm grateful that they did this one. If the next season starts with a prison break, Jack will show Scofield how to break out like a man in less than a day.

Ugh, I don't know why people love that moment so much. I know hate me, go on. But, I pretty much thought the last half of S8 with full rage mode Jack to be the worst thing ever. This to me is the best 24 moment:

jack-bauer-cry-o.gif

EDIT:
Oh shit, beaten with my own gif.
It was a great way to humanize Jack instead of relegating him to being a super hero. That scene of him breaking down was so important to developing a believeable character.

Murder-rage Jack Bauer from season 8 is pretty damn good, too.

This finale is all right, but that silent clock for Jack's helicopter ride is throwing me off. I'm really afraid that they'll kill Jack Bauer off screen and start up some kind of 24 spinoff. That seems unlikely, but still, I'm afraid.

Tookay

Or could it be that the writers have long ago forgotten how to write Jack as a consistent character? Thus, he is murder man in one second and remorseful tired old vet the next second.

Not at all.

He's capable of flipping out and then looking back on it as a mistake. That's what makes him a complex character.

And lest you say that it's also a sign of zero character development, it isn't.

The end of this season is him finally accepting some responsibility for something he's been running away from for a while now (and arguably the whole series).

Blader

Now to play everyone's favorite game: Ranking Time

5 > 2 > 4 > 3 > LAD > 1 > >>> 7/8 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 6

I don't remember Redemption very well.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Not at all.

He's capable of flipping out and then looking back on it as a mistake. That's what makes him a complex character.

And lest you say that it's also a sign of zero character development, it isn't.

The end of this season is him finally accepting some responsibility for something he's been running away from for a while now (and arguably the whole series).

Please, just stop. Jack is in no way a consistent character anymore, he's just whatever the plot needs him to be at the moment. Jack didnt turn himself over to accept responsibility for something he knows was wrong, he turned himself over to save Chloe, in other words he sacrificed himself for another person. You know, that thing he does like every goddamn season. At which point he then tells Chloe "You're my best friend" for the hundredth time now.

"Jack, I know you said the same thing at the end of S8 and also in S5 and in S7, and well can you just keep walking this is getting awkward now."

Tookay

EDIT: Actually you know what. I don't even know what you're arguing anymore. You don't want him to be true to the character he's been throughout the majority of the series because it's not shocking, but you condemn him if he's "inconsistent" (while ignoring vast swaths of 24 in the process, like shooting a dude and hacksawing his head off in S2).

Dany

Banned
Great finale, A bit recycled. I have been giving the president grief all season but in that final scene, he totally nailed it.

Big Boss coming home

Man what great finale. The beginning of the season wasn't that good but it picked up mid way.
The ship scene kinda reminds me of COD lol

Two Jack Fatality this season (one is stage fatality)

Hyunkel6

I liked everything about the season except for the last few minutes. They have to make another season now. They can't let Jack end like this. And that silent clock at the end. :(

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Silent Clock hasn't kill Jack before, and it's not about to start now.

When it's all said and done, it was Tates Donovan that fucked it all up. Got Jack put into the lap of Russia, causing Jack to miss getting Cheng the first time, which almost kick started WW3. All because he was afraid of Jack's Swag and it's effect on his wife.

Who, oh yeah, was killed in the events he bumbled his way into.

Best part is, how he looked in the last 10 minutes, he realizes all of this.

Man, Keifer and Jack Bauer. What a perfect match. The pain, the anger, the regret...he knocks it out of the park every time.

The entire concept of 24 is implausible. The only thing that matters is how well they sell it. They did pretty damn good this year.

Kadin

So much apprehension leading up to this episode. So much apprehension throughout watching it. Such an amazing 12 episodes of 24.

So.Many.Feels.

lots of good moments in this eps, but i still find it utterly hilarious that Cheng got some kung fu in him.

Reminds me of Mission impossible 4 when the scientist bad guy all of a sudden was kicking cruises' ass.

mulac

Just finished watching it. Was not the "OMG ORGAZMICLOL" episode that has been touted here and on other sites though...thought it was strong; suitable ending.

It left me confused though with the ending and the
silent clock
and my final thought was "
so Jack died?
"

I can see there being a final movie to end the whole thing proper though; or until Kiefer needs a new set of leather seats for his private jet.

I guess my problem 9 seasons in is how familiar it all seemed. While there were some surprisingly violent moments, more so than I expected, pretty much everything else was typical 24 plotting, but with London as the backdrop. The opportunity to be bold with a drone strike actually killing a sitting president ended up being a cop out that took its inspiration from Speed. The creators semed to want to show that they're relevant by reconfiguring their timeline to pull in current moral dilemmas that are of this generation and moment in time. Sadly they blew the landing. I guess that was the point for me that my interest deflated. My expectations were too high and I had a misguided interpration of what this season was going to be about. From then on I ended up been disappointed with how things wrapped up with Cheng, who was a significant comedown from the prior threats.

It started off so well and then lost me.

dLMN8R

Heller's speech at the end was incredible. The way he was "happy" because he'd eventually forget what happened to his daughter was a total gut punch.

I thought it was kind of weird that Cheng actually said anything

But lol the feeling of knowing you're about to be decapitated must suck

Just finished watching it. Was not the "OMG ORGAZMICLOL" episode that has been touted here and on other sites though...thought it was strong; suitable ending.

It left me confused though with the ending and the
silent clock
and my final thought was "
so Jack died?
"

I can see there being a final movie to end the whole thing proper though; or until Kiefer needs a new set of leather seats for his private jet.

Audrey dying got the silent clock.

WinterXL

Neo Member
This is actually my first 24 season. I am going to do a season one marathon. Love this series.

Likewise. I've just picked up the season 1 box set from Amazon and am planning to gorge myself on the manly trough of his holiness, Jack Bauer right through summer. Can. Not. Wait.

demolitio

Man, Heller's speech at the end was really hard to watch with my parents since my dad has early onset Alzheimer's (both of his parents have it) and he's always in denial so listening to Heller's speech made the room go completely silent and it got awkward quick.

Other than that sad but well done scene, what an awesome finale even though the ending feels very familiar and not very satisfying unless Kate gets her own season that revolves around rescuing Bauer just to keep 24 going if Kiefer doesn't want to have another major role. Of course, it wouldn't be the same without Jack kicking ass but it was just a hunch of mine since they really made her feel like she could become more and more like Jack each episode by doing whatever needs to be done, Fem-Bauer style.

Either way, this ending leaves the series up in the air to return if they want to with the ball most likely being in Mr. Sutherland's court.

EulaCapra

Audrey's death was one of the worst things ever. I get suspending your disbelief, but come on, there's never going to be one sniper henchman. I knew it was coming especially looking back at Jack's last face-to-face interaction and last phone call, but I didn't think she'd die for real.

The writers confirmed that they were breaking the story on an episode basis for this, so Audrey's death was not in the cards from the start. It shows. They brought her back to do nothing major for the course of the season wasting Kim Raver's talents. Even I could tell she looked bored getting nothing to do looking like she's going through the motions. It was just so lame for them to bring Audrey back just to kill her off and run her through the recurring joke tally of "Jack Bauer's Loves Always Die."

Tookay

lots of good moments in this eps, but i still find it utterly hilarious that Cheng got some kung fu in him.

Reminds me of Mission impossible 4 when the scientist bad guy all of a sudden was kicking cruises' ass.

Cheng was part of embassy security or something initially so while it's ridiculous to some degree, it isn't implausible.

BBboy20

Jack will have heads on platters for this.
tumblr_n45qzpE3Tr1qj6dyco1_500.gif

At this point if Jack dies it's because he will have killed himself.

samjackhoriz.jpg

And you thought we'd never get any more episodes
HOLY SHIT!

That shot of Jack on the phone was really well framed, got a bad feeling about this.
One of the best shots I've seen.

oh shit, I realized who that last russian guy was.

He was the Pirate Sidekick from Pirates of the Carribean
11739-27021.gif
o_O

I love the wire, breaking bad, mad men, etc

But nothing on TV is more fun to watch for me than 24
It's my favorite show ever. Surprised I didn't don a 24 avy here.

BTW, Kiefer and Jon Cassar are going to be at Comic-Con. Hold out hope for a 2015 return!
GOD DAMN YOU, SDCC TICKET SYSTEM!

Recalling his conversation with Kate about revenge and in light of how he turned himself over to the Russians at the end, isn't he implicitly accepting that his crazy murder man philosophy is sometimes wrong?
"And in the end, I know that these laws have to be more important than the 15 people on the bus. I know that's right. In my mind, I know that's right. I just don't think my heart could ever have lived with that."

Top Bottom