• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24: Live Another Day |OT| Game of Drones

strafer

i miss these guys

KLrklZD.jpg

Rich!

i miss these guys

Nah man, Buchanan went out like a boss. I do love how when watching 4-7 again Buchanan is basically like "yeah, listen to jack. do what he wants. he got this". Only Chloe, Palmer, Aaron and Bill had that kind of trust in Jack. And maybe Novick.

I was confused by someone who posted in this thread saying Jack is the only one left from S1...what? Kim Bauer, Mandy, Tony Almeida, Aaron Pierce and Mike Novick are still alive too.

They really fluffed Audrey's death. Kate should have been charged with dereliction of duty. Just casually walking through the park with her backup not even paying attention. If they had done a literal second sniper it would have been better.

Even before that, after they thought they eliminated the first sniper, just standing around in the same area in front of the bench.

IRL Audrey would have been rushed out of the scene before anyone had a chance to know what was going on.

Rich!

Yeah, he has been amazing this season. This and Season 5 are the ones with the best score overall, imo. Hope he releases another soundtrack soon.

he wants to. it's down to funding - he's made it clear he wants to release a compilation of 6-9

someone should mention kickstarter...but I guess FOX would strike that down

Bleh, what a disappointing finale, no tension, no surprises, the actress playing Audrey seems to have gotten worse, Chang's death was very dissatisfying and ultimately the episode was going through the motions.

The only good bit was Heller's speech at the end.

Rich!

Chang's death was very dissatisfying

what

Jack Bauer engaged his arch nemesis in a kung-fu fight before beating the shit out of his face, humiliating him infront of the US/Chinese governement and then fucking chopping his head off with a samurai sword.

How could Cheng's death be any more satisfying than that?! A nuclear bomb? Chopping his limbs off piece by piece? Throwing him out of a window and then beheading him? Death by feather duster tickling?

what

Jack Bauer engaged his arch nemesis in a kung-fu fight before beating the shit out of his face, humiliating him infront of the US/Chinese governement and then fucking chopping his head off with a samurai sword.

How could Cheng's death be any more satisfying than that?!
By having any tension to it? By not having it seem like the outcome is painfully obvious?

It doesn't hold a candle to the tension in the S1 [Drazens], S2 [Stadium], S5 [Bierko], S6 [Fayed] etc fights.

Kifimbo

By having any tension to it? By not having it seem like the outcome is painfully obvious?

It doesn't hold a candle to the tension in the S1 [Drazens], S2 [Stadium], S5 [Bierko], S6 [Fayed] etc fights.

Building tension was pretty much impossible this time, because it was obvious Jack would get Cheng (no way WW3 was happening). We already knew the outcome. We just wanted to see the execution of the whole thing, and the execution was pretty good.

Rich!

I don't understand how there was any other outcome other than Cheng being killed by Bauer. We all knew exactly what was going to happen from the very first scene he appeared in.

We knew Bauer was going to fuck him up, we just didn't know how, and we never ever in a million years would have expected a samurai sword beheading.

People are looking into this too much - 24 is escapist fun. It's an action packed rollercoaster of a ride. There's no need to pick at it endlessly and complain at the silliest things. I'll take time to repost what is possibly one of my favourite posts in a while:

We should go back to the season where the terrorist kidnapped the Secretary of State, attempted to shut down every nuclear power plant, stole a stealth plane to shoot down Air Force One, and then attempt to use the nuclear football found in the wreckage to initiate a nuclear strike.

Or maybe we should go back to the seriousness of the season where Muslim terrorists detonated a nuclear weapon in Valencia and nobody cared an hour later, and Jack's brother and father were behind it, and there were Russian dissidents helping them, and the Chinese held a practically brain-dead Audrey hostage while attacking CTU so they can get security codes from one of the nukes; in the meantime there is a conspiracy in the White House to kill the president and a reformed terrorist risks his life to save him, but he sorta fails so the new president takes over and has to investigate his former lover's affair with some dude connected to the conspiracy?

Or would you prefer that we go back to the season that resurrected a formerly likable protagonist, made him a quadruple agent, in his plot to obtain a device that messed with air traffic control systems, which was really part of a ploy to help these African warlords invade the White House through subterranean passages, which was really part of a ploy to get closer to a PMC, which was really part of a ploy to expose the man who was behind the assassination of Palmer and Michelle Dessler (who we previously thought was killed by an assassin working for a White House official working for a former CTU agent working for the POTUS working for Jack's family)?

Anyone who complains about the implausibilities of this season needs to read that. repeatedly. 24 has ALWAYS been fucking ludicrous.

I don't understand how there was any other outcome other than Cheng being killed by Bauer. We all knew exactly what was going to happen from the very first scene he appeared in.

We knew Bauer was going to fuck him up, we just didn't know how, and we never ever in a million years would have expected a samurai sword beheading.

People are looking into this too much - 24 is escapist fun. It's an action packed rollercoaster of a ride. There's no need to pick at it endlessly and complain at the silliest things. I'll take time to repost what is possibly one of my favourite posts ever made:
... it can be "escapist fun" and still tense. The best moments and fights of 24 are, even if we really know Jack is going to survive.

S6 is a great example of both sides of this. The Fayed fight is super tense and super dramatic, a shining moment in the season, while the finale fight above the oil rig is one of the least tense things the show has done.

Rich!

S6 is shit. I'd rather watch the lows of S9 for the whole of my life rather than the highs of S6. It's absolute, utter, concentrated shit.

I don't have anything else to add. Either way, S9 was better than S6,7 and 8 combined imo.

One little thing I didn't see mentioned about Cheng's death was the way Cheng said his name right before... I just thought it sounded so badass. He said it in this defiant Chinese accent way (the real way it's pronounced)... "I am Cheng Zhiiiiii"... sounded badass. Listen to it again if you can.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I'm trying to not read the thread for any spoilers but is the last episode going up on Hulu? I didn't get a queue notification so I'm hoping they aren't screwing me cause I don't subscribe

Juz

Loved the whole scene in the boat, especially Jack's rage after he got the call.

God damn that Heller's speech at the end. Dem feels :/

Overall a pretty good episode to wrap up this amazing season. Just hope we'll see some more 24 in the future.

I'd like to see Season 10 be the series finale, and at the very end have Jack visit someone's grave (Palmer/Walker/even Tony somehow/anyone really) and end the show on a recreated imagining of this:
Big-Boss-Salute-610x345.jpg

Please?

Deadly

Dude that would be way way too awesome... I don't know whose grave would be comparable though... David Palmer is first to come but he's been gone awhile now...

Tookay

Guess I don't really see why there wasn't any tension to it. I thought the action was fantastic, the mid-siege gut-punch with Audrey's death brought out some of Kiefer's best acting, Sean Callery's score killed it, and Jack topped it off with some of his coolest moves in the series.

Not sure how it was any worse than the Fayed fight (which I also liked). In fact, this one has more going for it: it had an emotional core and a long-running antagonist that made its stakes even greater.

Maddocks

Jack was pardoned for his crimes of the day and the past. Wouldn't the president knowing Jack surrendered himself to help his friend cause him to try and get him back in some way? season 10 can be that to free jack and get him home. Jack needs to end up back home in Los Angeles.

I really just want another season of Jack with a time skip, so everyone can forget about him so Kate can show up and say,"Your a legend in the eyes from those who live on the battlefield. That's why you have to handle this mission yourself. Now go, let the legend come back to life."

I'd like to see Season 10 be the series finale, and at the very end have Jack visit someone's grave (Palmer/Walker/even Tony somehow/anyone really) and end the show on a recreated imagining of this:
Big-Boss-Salute-610x345.jpg

Please?

I hate to say this, bit jack needs to die. At the end of season 10, jacks bleeding out. He goes to Teris grave, falls to his knees, closes his eyes, and silent clock.

I'm getting weepy eyed right now. :(

Bread

Banned
Anyone else love Chloe's Russian friend? Can't remember his name, but he was fucking awesome and he better be the one breaking Jack out of prison if there's another season

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, Belcheck was fantastic in his small role. I want a new season to expand on The Belcheck Legacy.

stryke

I really thought Belcheck would have a bigger role. He really only popped out at the times when it was convenient for Jack and would disappear into the background again.

I never expected him to do anything to the extent of betraying or double crossing Jack but with his appearance I thought he would be pivotal to the attack on Heller, like being the guy who tipped Jack or something about Margot.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I loved the finale, but called it 3 weeks ago to my family that Audrey would die, jack would have a rampage then be taken by the Russians.

Bring back Tony.

woodchuck

I really thought Belcheck would have a bigger role. He really only popped out at the times when it was convenient for Jack and would disappear into the background again.

I never expected him to do anything to the extent of betraying or double crossing Jack but with his appearance I thought he would be pivotal to the attack on Heller, like being the guy who tipped Jack or something about Margot.

That's what I liked about belcheck. He just randomly pops up and does badass things

~Kinggi~

Banned
That was a pretty solid season.

And the last 10 mins were really great, the moment with the president and Jack. Legit feels.

Any word on another season?

The season really felt like it was planned as a full season and then cut together right before shooting started.
Though its actually for the better

I mean
they had some decent characters/actors that didn't get much screentime at all.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So i still ask the question, is the series actually restarted? Or was this a one time deal. I see some mentions of season 10 ITT but was that confirmed?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The season really felt like it was planned as a full season and then cut together right before shooting started.
Though its actually for the better

I mean

they had some decent characters/actors that didn't get much screentime at all.

Hey, at least he didn't die. He seems to die in most things he appears in American media.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Really enjoyed the season and the finale. I'd easily rather watch this season than the last few before it. Having recently lost a relative with Alzheimer's, that scene with Heller was pretty rough to watch :( Really looking forward to what they do next.

Top Bottom