• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24: Live Another Day |OT| Game of Drones

Caode

Aβydoς;121106140 said:
Was Heller's acting this bad even in S4/5/6?
I think it's the only problem with this season really, he's just... bad. I don't get it.

I found his performance to be really sub-par; really bad in the first half of the season - he stole the show though in the finale.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ive been rewatching season 1, I forgot that late in the season they actually do a fucking amnesia angle with Jack's wife o_O Good lord...

also Kim is the worst but thats not news

stn

You mean Belcheck, Jack's "buddy?" He was indeed awesome... and Serbian.
I remember that. Though I seem to recall that the first time Jack spoke Serbian to him it was...not quite Serbian. Would have been nice to have gotten some history on his relationship with Jack. Perhaps another time.

Caode

ive been rewatching season 1, I forgot that late in the season they actually do a fucking amnesia angle with Jack's wife o_O Good lord...

also Kim is the worst but thats not news

Yeah it's fairly cringe-worthy looking back, I was willing to forgive it at the time since the series was just finding it's footing but that's fucking A grade writing compared to the Kim storyline in Season 2.

tenz0r

So i still ask the question, is the series actually restarted? Or was this a one time deal. I see some mentions of season 10 ITT but was that confirmed?

Live Another Day was considered to be a "event series show" and not an actual normal television season show. Therefore, there has been no confirmation if there will be a Season 10 yet. Everything about a season 10 is just pure speculation.

The ending last night to Live Another Day was left as both a way of closure and option for bringing the show back.

The writers, and producers have avoided answering "yes" to if 24 is coming back, and instead have given answers that say it could, or it could not, and that it's something they will only go back to if the "stars align". Basically saying they will only make another season if they have the right story, and the stars aligning, meaning Kiefer Sutherland would have interest in reprising Jack Bauer again, and FOX executives green lighting another season etc.

I think there will be another season because of the following reasons:

1. There is going to be a panel at Comic Con in a week, and usually these panels are reserved for some big annoucement, or to promote something. The panel is only advertising the annoucement of the Blu-Ray/DVD release of Live Another Day, and a special preview of a special feature on the DVD/Blu Ray. I don't see them wasting a panel, and having the actors and producer coming to San Diego to promote a simple DVD release, so another Season could be annouced during this panel.

2. Gary Newman and Dana Walden who were working as CEO's or something have been promoted to take over FOX Broadcasting, and these two have always been big supporters of 24, and were responsible for the show lasting as long as it did.

3. The ratings for Live Another Day were actually real good, and for a show that came back after being out of action for four years, it really stood it's ground. Not to mention the ratings for the finale increased from previous weeks.

4. Jack Bauer and 24 have become a household name in FOX, and with a lot of their new action/drama shows not being proven fully yet (The Following, Gang Related etc), FOX can always count on 24 leading their network as one of it's top action shows.

So all signs point to a new season being made, or at least with the spotlight that Live Another Day brought back for 24, a full on featured movie film isn't out of the question either.

Angelcurio

And it ended. First time watching this series and it was definitely an awesome experience. Heller's speech at the end was really sad, knowing full well that he'll eventually forget how horribly his daughter died.

I hope they come back with either a new season or a movie. It was an honor watching this 12 episodes with GAF.

Apoc29

This season has been hit or miss for me. The major villain kills definitely rank as the some of the most awesome moments in the show's history, however mostly everything leading up to those moments were kind of dull.

I was kind of hoping they would do more with the London setting, but I pretty much forgot they were in London after the Wembley bombing.

I can't get enough of 24, however. Bring on more seasons. Bring on all the Milos and Curtises you got; as long as Jack Bauer is there I'll be happy. If not, Kate will be a suitable substitute.

Damn that was great and it wasn't the action sequences that impressed me, but the emotional content. Heller's final words were heartbreaking in a way this show rarely is. I was initially conflicted on Audrey's death, but looking back on that season 6 Jack/Heller scene it tragically fits. :(

The Chloe/Jack moments also made me misty eyed. Jack calling her his best friend and the little hand clasp was such an awwwwwwwww moment. It was a similar ending to season 5, yes, but the circumstance of Jack willingly trading himself for Chloe was what made it special to me. Jack's smile before hopping in the chopper was the icing on the cake.

I'd have no qualms placing this up there with the shows best. The shortened run really helped keep it tight. Seems they made a real concerted effort to try and have the leads Jack follows sprout more organically and to foreshadow plot threads throughout the season. Things like the mention of the Chinese moving their carrier group to the Mediterranean in the season premiere and Navid telling Simone about the hard drive he had hidden episodes before they come into play are details that helped the season hold up better than it may have in the past. It didn't break much new ground, but i felt it was an almost perfect execution of the 24 formula. It's a formula that still very much works for me. :)

Gimme a Kate spin off already!!!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Live Another Day was considered to be a "event series show" and not an actual normal television season show. Therefore, there has been no confirmation if there will be a Season 10 yet. Everything about a season 10 is just pure speculation.

The ending last night to Live Another Day was left as both a way of closure and option for bringing the show back.

The writers, and producers have avoided answering "yes" to if 24 is coming back, and instead have given answers that say it could, or it could not, and that it's something they will only go back to if the "stars align". Basically saying they will only make another season if they have the right story, and the stars aligning, meaning Kiefer Sutherland would have interest in reprising Jack Bauer again, and FOX executives green lighting another season etc.

I think there will be another season because of the following reasons:

1. There is going to be a panel at Comic Con in a week, and usually these panels are reserved for some big annoucement, or to promote something. The panel is only advertising the annoucement of the Blu-Ray/DVD release of Live Another Day, and a special preview of a special feature on the DVD/Blu Ray. I don't see them wasting a panel, and having the actors and producer coming to San Diego to promote a simple DVD release, so another Season could be annouced during this panel.

2. Gary Newman and Dana Walden who were working as CEO's or something have been promoted to take over FOX Broadcasting, and these two have always been big supporters of 24, and were responsible for the show lasting as long as it did.

3. The ratings for Live Another Day were actually real good, and for a show that came back after being out of action for four years, it really stood it's ground. Not to mention the ratings for the finale increased from previous weeks.

4. Jack Bauer and 24 have become a household name in FOX, and with a lot of their new action/drama shows not being proven fully yet (The Following, Gang Related etc), FOX can always count on 24 leading their network as one of it's top action shows.

So all signs point to a new season being made, or at least with the spotlight that Live Another Day brought back for 24, a full on featured movie film isn't out of the question either.

Quality answer right here, thanks.

Damn that was great and it wasn't the action sequences that impressed me, but the emotional content. Heller's final words were heartbreaking in a way this show rarely is.

It was really nice to see for a series in its 9th season. 24 is a known quantity, a guilty pleasure of badass terrorist killing and intrigue but they did a real good job reminding people they can still deliver some feels.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Heller's speech gave me the impression that he was relieved that he would soon forget. Sadly he will forget his beautiful daughter all together but also how horrible it was to lose her.

This was a good season of 24, ended up way better than I expected it to. The usual cliches were still there but only being 12 episodes meant no filler, so every episode felt worthwhile.

Nameless

Not only should Kate have her own spinoff series, but she should replace Carrie on Homeland and that chick on The Killing. Might as well give her a season of True Detectives while we're at it. She's the absolute best.

tumblr_n8rgy4FRKE1qfwwamo5_250.gif

Agent Morgan is right up there with the series' pre S6 greats for me.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
great episode, although i was kind of expecting it to really just end completely.

this obviously means we'll get another season, hopefully.

i dont know if any sort of "prison break" season is going to really be that entertaining. Maybe they can do multiple time jumps or something and progress it past any sort of prison thing after 1 or 2 episodes of that

Not only should Kate have her own spinoff series, but she should replace Carrie on Homeland and that chick on The Killing. Might as well give her a season of True Detectives while we're at it. She's the absolute best.

tumblr_n8rgy4FRKE1qfwwamo5_250.gif

Agent Morgan is right up there with the series' pre S6 greats for me.

Her character is incredible. If the series were to continue without Bauer, I would love for her to be the protagonist. She was absolutely brilliant in Live Another Day.

Verger

Banned
Really hope they bring this back for another round, though I'm still satisfied with this season as an ending if it comes to that. I do get the "underwhelming" criticism though, since it was kind of left open, but most of the 24 season finale's have been that way.

It was a fun ride, I'd definitely put it above seasons 6-8....

Damn, Season 6, what an abortion that was. Which was unfortunate because they had such a great cast and lineup:

Charles Logan
Aaron Pierce
Philip Bauer
Graem Bauer
Yuri Suvarov
Cheng Zhi
The Hellers
Evil Russian played by John Noble

But yeah, they were written together with duct tape.

Really want to see Jack in Moscow, he needs to get revenge on Suvarov for ordering the death of Walker. With Russia IRL being such bastards you'd wonder if Fox would go ahead with that. And with Suvarov around that's as good an excuse as any to bring back...

...Cyber Logan! :D

Dalek

Man. That was pure excellence. What an ending. I love this show so fucking much and I'm thrilled it came back and I'm praying there's more. Surely the shortened season premise is an attractive premise for Sutherland? Not having to do those grueling filming sessions?

I easily place this season in the top tier. The shortened season worked wonders for it. Pacing never stopped-no filler.

Heller at the end-heartbreaking. Jack turning himself in for his "best friend". Good lord, man. It says a lot about a show that it can excel at action scenes as well as these powerful character moments.

I hate to say this, bit jack needs to die. At the end of season 10, jacks bleeding out. He goes to Teris grave, falls to his knees, closes his eyes, and silent clock.

I'm getting weepy eyed right now. :(

To be honest, I also feel a bit like that. Unless he dies for sure, I won't get the felling it's really over for him, there's always going to be another conflict, personal or not, popping up sooner or later.
And they have the potential to get a really emotional ending for him, a bit like you described for example.

Then again, I also wish the series wouldn't end for ever but that's a bit unrealistic.

Really want to see Jack in Moscow, he needs to get revenge on Suvarov for ordering the death of Walker. With Russia IRL being such bastards you'd wonder if Fox would go ahead with that. And with Suvarov around that's as good an excuse as any to bring back...

...Cyber Logan! :D

I would lose my fucking mind, in the best possible way, if we got another season and one of the big reveals would be Logan coming out of the shadows in a motorized wheelchair and slowly doing his classic Logan smirk.

Bishop89

- The confirmed extra scene of Tony which will be included in the BD/DVD release will likely set up S10. And also, Carlos Bernard was sporting longer hair and a badass beard recently. I wonder why? Well, either he's let himself go, or it's Tony's prison look:

oh and he was doing filming recently. for something. it's obviously 24.

wait wait WHAT!!?!

Is this all true?

God I want Tony back.

Hoping that the rumored complete series blu-ray box set is confirmed i will buy it instantly :-D, this is coming from someone that has collected the regular seasons 3x each (seasons 1-6) and 2x each (7-8 + redemption)

Rich!

What's the likelihood of Tony and Bauer ending up in the same Russian prison?

That'd be stupid as hell, yet amazing.

Rich!

Not that stupid, imagine that Almeida has a plan to rescue Bauer and involves being arrested by the Russians in the same prison?

Yeah but, tony is in a US prison. How would he get a transfer to Moscow? I guess that doesn't happen much.

Unless....he's already escaped the US prison!! Dun dun duuuunnn

Tugatrix

Yeah but, tony is in a US prison. How would he get a transfer to Moscow? I guess that doesn't happen much.

Unless....he's already escaped the US prison!! Dun dun duuuunnn

Follow my thought, Heller before step down as president decide to grant immunity to Tony with the condition of rescuing Jack, then Tony, Chloe and Kate prepare a plan in which Tony does something that piss the Russians and he end up in a gulag with Jack, setting in motion a escape plan

Rich!

Maybe Tony could have the blueprints tattooed on his body!

Yes! And they have to team up with a team of convicts to escape! Little do they know that they will end up in a brutal panama prison a few weeks later!

But unlike Michael Scofield, Bauer and Almeida break out of both within an hour

Yes! And they have to team up with a team of convicts to escape! Little do they know that they will end up in a brutal panama prison a few weeks later!

But unlike Michael Scofield, Bauer and Almeida break out of both within an hour

Kind of like Saved by the Bell going to "The College Years" phase this can be 24: The Prison Break spinoff spectacular.

jelly

Good ending, plot was a bit rubbish from time to time but had some good moments throughout. Surprised it wasn't better to be honest. There is 24 style then a bit shit and it fell into the latter too often. Stephen Fry was terrible, awful writing maybe and there was a lot of it across the board. That Navy guys wig, why.

Kate, awesome. President final scene, nailed it. Harbour, ship scenes, great. Jack to Russia, new season please. Better written and tighter. Tony, Jack, Kate, Chloe and Belcheck.

E92 M3

Can someone please fill me in on what happened to Tony and why he is in Russia?

Also, great finale...the Heller speech was something else. It is something millions of people go through everyday - very sad.

Can someone please fill me in on what happened to Tony and why he is in Russia?

He's not in Russia as far as we know, he was put in federal prison because in S7 he helped the main villain (I don't remember his name), even though we find out that he was doing it just to infiltrate his operation and avenge his wife (and future kid) who were killed by the same villain in an attack at the beginning of S5.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Jack vs. 300.

Jack wins.

He killed as many in LAD as he did in Season 5!

1 more than Season 8 (and Crazy Jack)

Top Bottom