• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24: Live Another Day |OT| Game of Drones

Lyonaz

I will watch it, unless it's terribad I'll just skip through it.

I'm gonna start with Season 1 on Netflix, good times ahead.

Alucrid

Banned
I never really followed 24, but I watched enough to end up being confused as to why chloe is now some dark, edgy, goth hacker.

gdt

Pretty good premiere. Glad to have Jack Bauer back on the screen.

Lol at the Mummy's waiting line.

rjinaz

Lame, they don't have 24 on Netflix anymore. :(

Yeah I was about to say. Amazon Prime has it and it's labeled as an exclusive so I doubt it will be anywhere else anytime soon.

Or do the Netflix UK thing with something like Hola.

JeTmAn81

Someone needs to make a .gif of crook-nosed Stephen Fry nodding to crook-nosed Kim Raver. That scene was the best.

Karu

I would say no. Since 24's ratings are only going down, prob hard and fast, if the previous seasons are any indication. And I would assume that FOX expected way more out of the premiere with all the advertisment, the buzz etc.

Nevertheless 2.5 in itself are quite good. The following weeks will tell how much worth this really is...

B3N1

iI32dsiII0ypR.gif

This caught me totally off-guard.

It's going to be interesting to watch the episodes weekly now. I saw the whole series when S08 was about to end.

Is this good?

On FOX, the season premiere of 24:Live Another Day garnered a 2.5 adults 18-49 rating.

It's not stellar, but much better than anything FOX has; as long as the rating stays above 2 through LAD's run, then we could have a follow-up season.

Otherwise, if it dips hard and fast into the 1s, then this 12-episode run will be it. I believe 24 is being negatively impacted by the NHL/NBA playoffs, which attract the same demo as 24. On the flip side, they will have decreasing competition through June and July so that could help ratings. Also, expect 24 to have much better ratings including DVRs ("Live + 7s" ratings)...

How much did FOX advertise the return on the show? Must admit that I never saw 24 trend on social media prior to yesterday's premiere.

I would say no. Since 24's ratings are only going down, prob hard and fast, if the previous seasons are any indication. And I would assume that FOX expected way more out of the premiere with all the advertisment, the buzz etc.

Nevertheless 2.5 in itself are quite good. The following weeks will tell how much worth this really is...

Deadline has a prety good summary of what it all means:

After weeks of Fox promotion and #JackIsBack on social media, the event series 24: Live Another Day (2.5/8) premiered last night. Bringing back anti-terrorism super-agent Jack Bauer after four years in both real time and TV time, the Kiefer Sutherland-starring series bounced right back into the game. The two-hour debut dipped just 10% from the 2.8/8 rating that the two-hour Season 8 finale of 24 pulled on May 24, 2010. In a time when network viewership across the board was about 27% higher than today, that Monday show drew 9 million viewers. Last night’s 24: Live Another Day had 7.98 million viewers from 8-10 PM. It’s worth noting that a 2.8 rating and 9.1 million viewers is also the Season 8 average for the last cycle of 24. This latest version of the world-saving adventures of Jack, Chloe O’Brien and the gang runs for 12 episodes with a July 14 finale.

The last 24 premiere got a 3.8 on January 17, 2010, but any comparison to last night’s debut is truly apples to leather. The 9 PM Sunday start was on a night preceded by the NFC Playoff game between the Minnesota Vikings and Dallas Cowboys that afternoon on Fox. Watched by over 37 million viewers, that football game was full of 24 promotion pushing the audience to the premiere later that night. The first Monday broadcast of the eighth season got a 3.4/8 with the 2-hour airing averaging about 11 million viewers. Additionally, while starting in the traditionally lesser-watched month of May, the high-profile limited series likely has even greater DVR potential than most, so expect to see a rise when the Live+3 and Live+7 numbers come in over the next week or so.

Having said that, looking at some other somewhat recent Fox drama debuts, 24 last night fell far short of the 3.5/9 rating that breakout Sleepy Hollow got on September 16, 2013. That premiere had 10.1 million total viewers. The first-season opener of The Following had a 3.2/7 rating with 10.38 million watching on January 21.

The solid result of the limited-series 24 debut is also more impressive when you realize that it also had to share the TV court with not one but two NBA Round 2 playoff games as the Washington Wizards topped the Indiana Pacers and the very-much-in-the-news LA Clippers beat the Oklahoma City Thunder on TNT. Premiering for the first time heading into the summer, 24: Live Another Day had some other debuts of a sort to contend with last night too. Even with last week despite the Bauer competition, on The Voice (3.0/9) recently announced new coaches Gwen Stefani and Pharrell Williams made their live performance premieres on the NBC show on Monday before settling in on the red chairs next season.The top rated show of the night, the 2-hour NBC singing competition show was followed the second highest rated show of the night, The Blacklist (2.7/8). The James Spader-starrer was also even with its April 28 show.

TLDR; it's better than it looks, all things considered.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I will watch it, unless it's terribad I'll just skip through it.

I'm gonna start with Season 1 on Netflix, good times ahead.

Great, you just need to keep in mind that season 1 is vastly different from the rest of the seasons, there is a reason for that which you'll find out when the season is over. Season 2 is more indicative of the rest of the series.

Wiktor

Yeah okay, but it would have been cool if they did this on Netflix, like house of cards.

Nah. 24 always had active community and all the discussions, reactions and theories on forums strongly enchance the whole experience. Getting all episodes in one day would kill it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Would also like to hear about UK ratings, since it was a big show over there (and you know, filmed there).

Still, that's about the highest numbers Fox has pulled in months.

Dany

Banned
Last night we played a drinking game.

Everytime chloe makes Dat Face.
Everytime the clock is shown
Everytime Jack is out of breath
Everytime the shot is mulit-framed.

We had to pause the episode during commercials to catch up.

Lonestar

Last night we played a drinking game.

Everytime chloe makes Dat Face.
Everytime the clock is shown
Everytime Jack is out of breath
Everytime the shot is mulit-framed.

We had to pause the episode during commercials to catch up.

This reminded me, when the bad guy hacker checked his watch to see how many minutes it was till his meet with Margot/The Buyer, he said "about 28 minutes" and the clock popped up (it was something like 1:33 pm, putting that meeting right at the end of the show). Nice little "real time" reminder.

Penguin

This reminded me, when the bad guy hacker checked his watch to see how many minutes it was till his meet with Margot/The Buyer, he said "about 28 minutes" and the clock popped up (it was something like 1:33 pm, putting that meeting right at the end of the show). Nice little "real time" reminder.

Though kind of funny since... didn't look like she left her place for the meeting when she got the call

Vally

I also liked that they showed an actual clock with the right time

ibtO0FMVVJjVWB.png

Lonestar

Though kind of funny since... didn't look like she left her place for the meeting when she got the call

Like the big bad would do courier work. That's what useless thugs are for. Or, in her case, Evil Sansa was already there.

effzee

Just caught the two episodes this morning on DVR (my newborn wouldn't let me watch it live) and really found it refreshing from most usual 24 premiers.

Yes shit happened. Things blew up and people died but it didn't seem like they just blew shit up just to be "shocking" in episode. This seems to set up a nice storyline for the season.

Quick question: Every week now is just 1 episode right? Is it still going to take place in real time? Are they going to skip a hour or so each episode to keep it within 12 episodes?

Top Bottom