• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24: Live Another Day |OT| Game of Drones

I hate Kim Bauer. I was pulling for the fucking mountain lion.

Them making a joke about it on Happy Endings for some reason made the mountain lion incident just funny to me now instead of bothering me at all, not that I've gone back and watched Season 2 of 24 or anything.

Anyway, so glad Jack is back. What's funny is when the show went off the air I tried to convince myself (or maybe I really believed it) that the show had run it's course, it being back makes my Sunday-Monday TV viewing just get kicked up several notches.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Sorry, been a while, which one was that? I last watched S3 like 6 years ago haha.

A lot of computer tech things in TV are in-jokes by writers, they like to screw with hardcore fans.

S3 is the Raman Salazor, Michal Armawhathisface plot, with the biological weapon being used. They twisted the mole plot by
making us think very early on that Gael was a mole within CTU feeding the Salazar's information, they even had him tie up and point a gun at Kim in CTU. Except it turns out it's all part of an elaborate ploy him, Jack, and Tony setup to get Jack to reestablish his cover inside Salazar's camp

foxtrot3d

Banned
is there CTU anymore? I dont recall it being disbanded.

We don't know at this point, it was disbanded in S7, and brought back by Pres. Taylor in S8. However, considering the crimes involved in her Presidency and the failures of CTU in S8 (as well as Chloe getting arrested apparently) it could very well have been disbanded again.

I gotta say I find the whole Jack Bauer on the run the most contrived element left over from S8. Also, this season seems to imply that Chloe was arrested for helping Jack Bauer escape in S8 which like makes zero sense since the President basically told her to do so. I mean was Arlow and Cole arrested as well, they were right there?

But let's not kid ourselves the real reason Jack Bauer is "on the run" is because it's cool to have Jack being a fugitive, it's not really meant to make a lot of sense same with Chloe being a goth hacktivist. I mean doesnt she have a kid to take care of and where the hell is Morris? They're gonna need to explain that for me quick, however I bet it will be something like "Morris left me after I was arrested for helping you, he said I always put you ahead of the family and I also lost custody of [insert child's name] because of that."

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
We don't know at this point, it was disbanded in S7, and brought back by Pres. Taylor in S8. However, considering the crimes involved in her Presidency and the failures of CTU in S8 (as well as Chloe getting arrested apparently) it could very well have been disbanded again.

I gotta say I find the whole Jack Bauer on the run the most contrived element left over from S8. Also, this season seems to imply that Chloe was arrested for helping Jack Bauer escape in S8 which like makes zero sense since the President basically told her to do so. I mean was Arlow and Cole arrested as well, they were right there?

But let's not kid ourselves the real reason Jack Bauer is "on the run" is because it's cool to have Jack being a fugitive, it's not really meant to make a lot of sense same with Chloe being a goth hacktivist. I mean doesnt she have a kid to take care of and where the hell is Morris? They're gonna need to explain that for me quick, however I bet it will be something like "Morris left me after I was arrested for helping you, he said I always put you ahead of the family and I also lost custody of [insert child's name] because of that."

Season 8 Epilogue, Chloe's arrest

President secretly asked, but the President at that point isn't really in charge, as she's just revealed she's been involved in a massive coverup of an assassination, among other things.

It's possible they were, but admittedly we can't be certain. Chloe was arrested (it isn't just implied) in the epilogue to season 8 which was featured on the Blu-Ray's release.

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ4vKxNgnPI

EDIT: See above.

Apoc29

Charles Logan is a vegetable? Couldn't they use the same magic pixie dust they used to cure Audrey?

The first episodes weren't as exciting as I'd hope for, but I trust we'll be on the train to crazy town shortly. Need another "Hello, Alan" moment to kick things off.

did they ever do anything about china in 24? The rush hour 1 dude was pretty badass, but it just felt like a wasted potential when they just 'bought' back jack.

That failed escape attempt in that extra was great.

Jack does seem to have resources that belie his "on the run" nature, so who's to say he isn't working with CTU or some equivalent at this point?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I wouldn't put it past the writers to make either Chloe or Kate the mole.

Chloe's ideology has obviously changed and it seems odd to me that the CIA would scoop her up and put her in a black site but leave all of her other wiki-leaker friends alone. Its not like they couldn't find them. If they wanted them they could have got them by just following her around. So I think she is a possibility.

Kate is on my radar because its something the writers would do. Wouldn't put it past them to have her reveal that she knew her husband was a double-agent because she is one too.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Season 8 Epilogue, Chloe's arrest

President secretly asked, but the President at that point isn't really in charge, as she's just revealed she's been involved in a massive coverup of an assassination, among other things.

Ah, was that in the DVD/Blu-Ray release? Still it's incredibly contrived, the President was still in charge when she gave the order also Jack's only real crime involved killing Russian diplomats and security personnel. I would assume that after the revelations concerning the Russians became public the US would hardly be looking to bring in Jack Bauer, it makes sense for Russian agents to be chasing him not really the US. Like I said it's just super contrived and nonsensical to justify us having "Jack on the run" but I can live with it, 24's been doing this stuff from the start.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
why did he fry his hard drive but leave the blatantly obvious USB stick?

gun fight in the next room.

That, and I don't know if it was him frying his computer. I think it was the machine gun fired into his room (through the wall) that did it.

Great premiere. I'm so happy that Jack is back.

Did Jack get shot by the drug dealer? It swear it looked like he was in total agony after getting shot at, but then he seemed fine when he escaped the cia agents.

Great premiere. I'm so happy that Jack is back.

Did Jack get shot by the drug dealer? It swear it looked like he was in total agony after getting shot at, but then he seemed fine when he escaped the cia agents.

He said it just grazed him. Barely a flesh wound to Jack, it probably won't be mentioned again.

My main thing is...how did Jack intercept a communication but no other intelligence agencies did? What was he doing in these 4 years that allowed him to intercept something like this?

I wouldn't put it past the writers to make either Chloe or Kate the mole.

Chloe's ideology has obviously changed and it seems odd to me that the CIA would scoop her up and put her in a black site but leave all of her other wiki-leaker friends alone. Its not like they couldn't find them. If they wanted them they could have got them by just following her around. So I think she is a possibility.

Kate is on my radar because its something the writers would do. Wouldn't put it past them to have her reveal that she knew her husband was a double-agent because she is one too.

Doubt Kate is a mole. Seems like the writers are setting her up to be the next Jack Bauer. Notice the mom-sweater she's wearing? Expect her to take that off and slowly become more of a hard ass. Maybe Kiefer wants to take a backseat role in the future of 24 and have Yvonne be the lead next time. Two episodes in and Bauer already respects her and she's been right about a million things so far. Remember early 24 when Jack was CTU director, kind of taking it easy, being a father and husband but quickly hardens up when shit hits the fan? Same character arc with Kate, it looks like.

foxtrot3d

Banned
My main thing is...how did Jack intercept a communication but no other intelligence agencies did? What was he doing in these 4 years that allowed him to intercept something like this?

Probably the same reason an old contact who he's not talked to in decades decided show up at his doorstep in NY to give only him information on an assassination to kick off S8.

Been reading suggestions now that this is 24's swansong and not a springboard to a new life as a series :-(. If this is the case then creatively i hope they go out on top.

Slowdive

Banned

I read that earlier but In the video at the bottom of the page Kiefer says there's potential for anything, Mary Lynn Rajskub says she'd be surprised if they didn't do more and Jon Cassar is acting as though there'll be more.

Also Howard Gordon is open to it: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s9...e-open-to-further-series.html#~oDCMYe824s0sQO

I actually think the chance for more is very strong, it's just Kiefer being extremely coy. He doesn't want to say he'd definitely do more - in fact, quite the opposite - as it puts him in a strong bargaining position if Fox want more. He can say he didn't really care for doing more but will if they give him the payday, and they will.

Nameless

I think I'm going to do what I do with Mad Men and watch later in the week on Vudu. My tolerance for commercials is at an all-time low, especially with shows I really love. It's becoming a struggle staying engaged being ripped from the experience every 7-10 minutes.

aparisi2274

So, does this new "season" throw away most of Chloe's backstory? I mean didn't she marry the bald dude from CTU and have a kid with him??

Now she is some crazy hacker full of tats and wearing goth levels of eyeliner...

Anyone?

So, does this new "season" throw away most of Chloe's backstory? I mean didn't she marry the bald dude from CTU and have a kid with him??

Now she is some crazy hacker full of tats and wearing goth levels of eyeliner...

Anyone?

She was arrested by the FBI right after S8 for aiding Jack. We're assuming that that experience made her say fuck the government and turn into Goth Female Snowden

Anyone?
A lot can happen in four years. Be patient.

Erebus

Anyone?
See above. Someone posted a video where FBI apprehends her.

Must be some kind of extra content though, because I can't remember that particular scene when the original episode aired.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I read that earlier but In the video at the bottom of the page Kiefer says there's potential for anything, Mary Lynn Rajskub says she'd be surprised if they didn't do more and Jon Cassar is acting as though there'll be more.

Also Howard Gordon is open to it: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s9...e-open-to-further-series.html#~oDCMYe824s0sQO

Well that's good, TV needs "24" back I wouldn't mind them replacing Jack Bauer at the end of this season and having a new lead take on the role. Honestly, I think it should have been done a while ago, I really think "24" should be bigger than just Jack Bauer, Renee was perfect for the lead spot before they killed her off.

If they do replace Jack they just better get someone equally as good as Kiefer to do the role, while I like Yvonne based on the short amount of time I've seen of her character she doesn't (or at least her character doest) seem capable of taking the lead role, Renee had a ruthless, cold edge to her that I'm not getting from Yvonne's character and what is necessary for the lead role in 24. They could either kill Jack off, have him finally ride off into the sunset leading a happy normal life, or place him in a support role like actually being in charge of CTU (or similar organization) like he was in the first season, lol.

So Kate (the new blonde chick) played Miranda in Mass Effect 2.

Read a couple pages and yeah I guess that was common knowledge. She was in Dexter too apparently. Good first episode.

I think her most well known role is Sarah Walker in Chuck.

Probably posted already but it got me laughing.

Screen Junkie's idiot guide to 24. All 8 seasons in 8 minutes. Ignore dude's opinions on which seasons are best :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOUDX_-qGZs

That guide was terrible. Not a single mention of Renee fucking Walker or the fact that in Season 8 Jack went nuclear and assaulted a US President in broad daylight as well as killed Russians Chinese whoeverthefuckelse. Which is the reason he's on the run.

Is Chuck really worth watching?

Yes yes yes yes absolutely yes. I just finished it actually great show. Even the worst seasons have good elements.

was jack ever CIA? seems strange that he knows their playbook.

?

He's fucking Jack Bauer. Jack Bauer.

See above.

I think I'm going to do what I do with Mad Men and watch later in the week on Vudu. My tolerance for commercials is at an all-time low, especially with shows I really love. It's becoming a struggle staying engaged being ripped from the experience every 7-10 minutes.

This is the only show in the world I have to watch in real time. So I watch the commercials.

Well that's good, TV needs "24" back I wouldn't mind them replacing Jack Bauer at the end of this season and having a new lead take on the role. Honestly, I think it should have been done a while ago, I really think "24" should be bigger than just Jack Bauer, Renee was perfect for the lead spot before they killed her off.

If they do replace Jack they just better get someone equally as good as Kiefer to do the role, while I like Yvonne based on the short amount of time I've seen of her character she doesn't (or at least her character doest) seem capable of taking the lead role, Renee had a ruthless, cold edge to her that I'm not getting from Yvonne's character and what is necessary for the lead role in 24. They could either kill Jack off, have him finally ride off into the sunset leading a happy normal life, or place him in a support role like actually being in charge of CTU (or similar organization) like he was in the first season, lol.

Unless it's a different person each season I just don't see them pulling it off well. I don't watch the show but I hear American Horror Story is different each season. 24 like that would be fun. A second "Bauer" would not.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i watched it today, it was pretty good.

i like watching 24 :D. I missed it a lot.

it being only 12 hours of the day might be a little interesting compared to the other seasons, since there will be time jumps.

the problem with 24 and most shows on network tv with an interesting lead, like say House or CSI miami, the rest of the cast are just... there for the most part.

24 was pretty much just Jack and lady palmer imo.

If they have to i am sure they can rewrite tough guy Jack Bauer to have a softer side in a remake of Kindergarten Cop. Imagine him holding a nerf gun at a poor child's asking them who peed on the carpet.

Top Bottom