• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24: Live Another Day |OT| Game of Drones

Well...about that. There's been rumours

If it's only rumours, and nothing concrete/no spoilers, would you mind expanding upon this, in spoiler tags if necessary, please? I'm very curious about this as it could be quite interesting to have the Russians and Chinese after Jack at the same time (but I don't see how they could fit that into the few remaining episodes; it'd certainly have to be a cliffhanger for the next season I'd think).

no way. One episode in Season 4 had the following cast all present:

- Jack Bauer
- Chloe O'Brian
- Curtis Manning
- Tony Almeida
- Michelle Dessler
- Bill Buchanan
- Mandy
- Charles Logan
- David Palmer
- Mike Novick
- Aaron Pierce
- Audrey Raines
- James Heller

Look at that fucking lineup. Season 6 never came close.

Yeah, Season 4 was basically 24 all-stars. Never came close to it again.

finally watched the episode.

Man, I see why Bush/Obama love drones so much. They're pretty convenient killing machines with facial recognition and shit, lol.

Tookay

He left off
Jack turns into a vampire
Boris the Blade cut his own arm off.
"Say hello to your brother in hell"

Well, that would have forced me to acknowledge that there were some cool parts to the season... which is something I can't do.

Still better than S4

*hides from GAF's drone strike*

While Marwan's schemes are ridiculous, at least it's basically coming from one antagonist (without 3 other factions duking it out over a 24 hour period) and it's got characters that we care about.

ultron87

Got to watch last night, was sadly spoiled going in but I really enjoyed it despite knowing the outcome.

I really do think "the President got blown up by a drone in the middle of a soccer stadium" has rocketed near to the top of the list of most ridiculous stuff that has happened on 24.

Also it will be tough to resist using the President exploding GIF in the world cup thread.

Got to watch last night, was sadly spoiled going in but I really enjoyed it despite knowing the outcome.

I really do think "the President got blown up by a drone in the middle of a soccer stadium" has rocketed near to the top of the list of most ridiculous stuff that has happened on 24.

It's fun to imagine this really happening, seeing it reported on the news and all the WTF it would generate.

Nameless

I think Heller's death was perfectly in line with his character.

-S4 he tried to commit suicide to prevent terrorists from humiliating and executing him on camera while the world watched online.

-S5 he drove off a cliff to prevent Henderson from using him to escape.

Xrenity

Do missile systems actually have a "Target Destroyed" indicator or is that just a stupid TV thing they made up to spell it out for the viewers?

I can see how Chloe hacked it:

Code:
if (target == PresidentHeller)
{
    destroyed = true;
}
yeah that's been lame since ep 01. I mean, really, target destroyed detection?

Also, a rocket on Heller, wtf.

Steve went from "I dunno about killing Jordan" to "Finish him" awfully fast. And I think I saw that phone case he uses on eBay.

Also note his decreasing paranoia at being discovered:
1. Sneak out of the office into deserted boiler room.
2. Unlock cabinet to access secret phone.
3. Screw it, make the call at desk.

I expect him to call Cross during a briefing next week.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Do missile systems actually have a "Target Destroyed" indicator or is that just a stupid TV thing they made up to spell it out for the viewers?

I can see how Chloe hacked it:

Code:
if (target == PresidentHeller)
{
    destroyed = true;
}

I'd assume it's to mark that the target that was once previously locked doesn't exist anymore. But yeah it was a little silly.

Vally

If it's only rumours, and nothing concrete/no spoilers, would you mind expanding upon this, in spoiler tags if necessary, please? I'm very curious about this as it could be quite interesting to have the Russians and Chinese after Jack at the same time (but I don't see how they could fit that into the few remaining episodes; it'd certainly have to be a cliffhanger for the next season I'd think).

There's a photo on twitter of the actor who plays Cheng with Mary Lynn Rajskub at some club in London. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's quite possible he's returning
https://twitter.com/herbsk007/status/476864745547776000

Rich!

This has now gone into the utter UTTER ridiculous. Missiles flying into Wembley? Targets Destroyed? Metal Gear Solid radar on your phone? God.

It's 24. I'm not quite sure what you were expecting.

This isn't House of Cards. I watch 24 for the entertainment factor of things blowing up, terrorists being beaten and Bauer fucking shit up. That's all there is to it.

Vally

Don't forget to check your iDroid, Boss
ibiRJLRfr26lFF.gif

While Marwan's schemes are ridiculous, at least it's basically coming from one antagonist (without 3 other factions duking it out over a 24 hour period) and it's got characters that we care about.

Yeah but they totally ran out of shit to do. "I'm sorry Jack, but your Marwan is in another hideout" gets old after the first couple times.

Also gave us the famous CTU Perimeter.

Anyone knows how they will skip time before the end of the season to complete the day with 24 hours?

There is only 4 episodes left and I wonder how they will do that.

Dany

Banned
Anyone knows how they will skip time before the end of the season to complete the day with 24 hours?

There is only 4 épisodes left and I wonder how they will do that.

Id imagine they'll do it next week.

It would be the best opportunity to jump forward in time.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Starting to run out of time to make a sensible time jump.

What would everyone think of, if a time jump happens, and they skip over what would obviously be 12 hours of explosive action, depriving us of all that Bauer Power.

Or, they skip forward 12 hours, allowing for Jack to end the season (perhaps the series), back on American Soil.

Why are we all assuming the time jump goes forward? Maybe a drone strike propels Jack back to the Cretaceous period and we see him interrogate a T-Rex.

Tookay

Uhhhh well (BIG next episode spoilers]

(no seriously SPOILERS)

Looks like I'm going to eat some crow soon in regards to Heller.

Finally caught up to the last two episodes, and I have two thoughts:

1. Heller nooooooo! No silent clock, wha...
  2. 24-GAF has the best nicknames. Discount Sansa and Bootleg Milo are going to be in my vernacular for a very long time.

There's a photo on twitter of the actor who plays Cheng with Mary Lynn Rajskub at some club in London. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's quite possible he's returning
https://twitter.com/herbsk007/status/476864745547776000

Huh, interesting. (picture and prior to the season rumours)
If he does return it'll surely have to be the final scene, wouldn't it? And weren't there rumours of Tony returning too? They're really running out of time to bring in these characters if they are actually returning this season, and it's not merely an incorrect deduction based upon photographs and the actor's location, given how much material they need to cover in the remaining period, and that's ignoring the possibility of a time jump.

Dabanton

The whole Jordan and the hitman scenes were hilarious from the trope of the bad aim hitman.

To Jordan's dumb decision of letting the hitman get up off the floor instead of telling him to lay flat on the ground with his hands behind his head.

The only good thing is this should be a short part of the story, this sort of nonsense would have been stretched over 6-7 episodes in other seasons.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I really want to read those spoilers. I really want to go back and read Tookay's opinion on Heller's death because I can't remember. But I won't. I can wait a few days, right? I can do this. Right???

foxtrot3d

Banned
Can I just say I'm just really not liking this new mini-sesaon so far. I just dont understand who they are trying to appeal to. They definietly don't seem to be looking to attracting new comers as the plot so heavily involves knowledge of Jack's previous outgoings, newcomers are likely to be confused at the whole Heller, Audrey, who the hell is Chole stuff, and why do Russians want Jack? Whereas for us old timers everything is just so predictable and forumualic. This is supposed to be the return of "24," it's supposed to be fresh while keeping what was great and yet they once again rely on the same old "24" tropes we've seen played out a millions times before and better. I mean GEEZ, another fucking mole in the organization trying to stop the terrorists. ENOUGH WITH THE MOLES!

Let's try and count the rehashed shit:
-Jack on the run from the government, but gets to come back to do a mission.
-Jack happens to know a arms dealer/associate who works with the main terrorist and must quickly reestablish his cover. The cover is subsequently blown.
-Female Jack Bauer light struggles to "do whatever it takes."
-Heller tries to kill himself to save people. This is this is the third fucking time!
-IT'S A TRAP!
-Jack has to work against U.S. forces to accomplish his mission.

I could go on but you get it. There was just so much potential this new season had starting off especially with Jack being a fugitive, they could have had him completely on the run the entire time trying to stop a threat whilst never working with any official agency. And, really must we have a plot about drones? It's just so dated and nonsensical to believe that a small terrorist outfit could hijack all of our dronesand none of our sophisticated tracking equipment could find them flying around the air. How about a cyber-threat? How about unchecked surveillance? How about a smaller threat that doesn't involve nukes and maybe just a singular assassination of an individual?

I just don't get it, I'll keep watching to see how it all ends but so far this has been dissapointing and has reminded me why "24" got canceled in the first place. The post-9/11 rage is over, people aren't super excited anymore to see Jack Bauer kick terrorist butt especially when he's kicked the same type of butt so many times before.

Servbot24

Banned
I think they've spelled everything out painfully clearly for new comers. Every time Audrey is on screen they say "remember how Jack used to be with Audrey etc"

Future

I'm enjoying it. Feels like I'm back in 2005. 24 pacing and action just doesn't happen in many other shows.

Some if those tropes I like seeing. The mole one is the most overused, but at least this time it's a mole that has nothing to do with the core plot line and is conveniently disrupting jack at every turn. It's a side plot that vindicates the new hero this season.

The drone idea is current. Is it believable that it could be hijacked? I suppose it's as believable as smuggling a nuke in The US. Who knows.

I am curious how this season is to non series vets. It feels like this is a fun potential series ender for fans that "might" give jack a happy ending if his pardon from last ep actually happens and he doesn't get jacked by the Russians. It's not a reboot to get new fans or anything

foxtrot3d

Banned
Also let me also just ask this, why the fuck would the US care what Russia wanted after S8? They PROVIDED IRANIAN AGENTS WITH A NUKE TO SHIP INTO THE US! That is WW3 shit right there, let's also not forget about Russian agents killing U.S. government personnel. I find it hard to believe we would be concerned about "angering the Russians" by not turning over Jack Bauer. It once again reminds me how contrived that whole S8 twist was and Jack Bauer's subsequent fugitive status.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also let me also just ask this, why the fuck would the US care what Russia wanted after S8? They PROVIDED IRANIAN AGENTS WITH A NUKE TO SHIP INTO THE US! That is WW3 shit right there, let's also not forget about Russian agents killing U.S. government personnel. I find it hard to believe we would be concerned about "angering the Russians" by not turning over Jack Bauer. It once again reminds me how contrived that whole S8 twist was and Jack Bauer's subsequent fugitive status.
Not to mention that Russian dude (with the most hideous facial hair ever) insisting they get Jack RIGHT NAO. Like they'd be in such a hurry during a terrorist crisis?

Because the US doesn't care. Mark hated Jack. He just wanted Jack out of the way and that was a convenient way to do it. I don't think Heller had any intention of turning Jack over.

Besides, I'm sure they kept Suvarov's involvement hush hush for international political reasons but Jack's killing spree would be harder to cover up.

Vally

Not to mention that Russian dude (with the most hideous facial hair ever) insisting they get Jack RIGHT NAO. Like they'd be in such a hurry during a terrorist crisis?

I don't think the Russians were in such a hurry to get Jack in the beginning, when Moustachov called Mark it was just to know when they would be able to take custody of him. They only became more eager to get him after Mark told him that the order had been rescinded, it's understandable that the Russians are pissed after that and are wondering what is going on.

Top Bottom