• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

24 Season 7 info + details on the abandoned Africa plot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33462

Africa:

How was two hours of “24’s” seventh season supposed to be set in Africa? By breaking format.

The idea, since abandoned, was to start Jack Bauer in Africa for an episode or two, then skip 12 hours so Bauer could get back to the U.S. for the balance of the 24 hours.

From ifmagazine:

With all eyes on the show, [writer-producer Howard] Gordon admits that defining where Season 7 would go has been a constantly evolving process and involved the widely reported concept of setting it in Africa which would have changed the way the show looked and felt, but would have been too cost-prohibitive.

"The fact is, it was a mutual issue," explains Gordon. "We struggled to do something new this year. We sent Jack Bauer to Africa and I wrote a script that honestly did not work. Before the network even saw it at the studio level, we were getting kick-back from the idea, especially once we budgeted what Africa would cost. It was a combination of the studio was not enthusiastic to shoot there for budgetary purposes and creatively, it didn’t feel like it warranted pushing our case. One day, at the iHop, I sat across [creators/executive producers] Joel [Surnow] and Bob [Cochran] and we all agreed this story wasn’t working and retooled it two weeks ago."

Season 7 Details:

As for where they ended up, Gordon says the current version should be called Season 7 – Version 3.0 (since this is the third permutation the show has taken in the past few weeks) and will likely begin at 7:00 a.m. East Coast time.

"The show picks up roughly three plus years later," says Gordon (even though technically, isn’t Bauer about 65 at this point?) "Time has a very metaphorical quality on 24. Even though it’s real time, the distance technically would be fifteen years older than when Kiefer started. We obviously don’t play it that way, it’s funny, even [Director/Executive Producer] Jon Cassar and I have a running argument that it’s actually 2015 on the show and that accounts for some of the science fiction conceits. But it really takes place in a nebulous, near future present. We have one of the most rigorously literal time things on a TV series, yet we are the most loose-jointed about it [in between seasons]."

Gordon also says the seventh season will likely be set entirely
in the D.C. area (though still mostly shot in Los Angeles), Jack is now a freelancer, Marilyn Bauer likely won’t return, Charles Logan and Wayne Palmer probably aren’t dead, and the new U.S. president will be a David Palmer-esque good guy.
As widely reported previously, Cherry Jones (the lawgal from “Signs”) will play the new commander-in-chief.

Diablos

Bah, seems like they abandoned something different and went back to something safe since it costs less and is easier to execute. :\

bud

24 blows. i saw two episodes just 'cause you guys were all like ''omg bauer power'' (i may have made that up) and it's terrible. it's like a bad tv movie made into a series.

hsin

Banned
bud said:
24 blows. i saw two episodes just 'cause you guys were all like ''omg bauer power'' (i may have made that up) and it's terrible. it's like a bad tv movie made into a series.
Indifferent2.gif

White Man

Formula to fix 24: Rename it as something with Jack Bauer in the title, ditch the 24 hour format. They've done all they can with the current format. Or at least all they are willing to do.

Gordon also says the seventh season will likely be set entirely
in the D.C. area (though still mostly shot in Los Angeles), Jack is now a freelancer, Marilyn Bauer likely won’t return, Charles Logan and Wayne Palmer probably aren’t dead, and the new U.S. president will be a David Palmer-esque good guy.
As widely reported previously, Cherry Jones (the lawgal from “Signs”) will play the new commander-in-chief.

Finally.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Good guy? Wasn't there an article recently that said the new pres would be
a female?

Confirmation of
no CTU whatsoever, and the fact that Jack is a freelancer is good news to me.
As long as
FBI HQ isn't a CTU replacement
, and there isn't a large scale WMD threat, i think this can turn out really well. I'm still peeved that The White House will play a role, but if it is more in line with season 1, which seems very likely, it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Spotless Mind said:
Confirmation of
no CTU whatsoever, and the fact that Jack is a freelancer is good news to me.
As long as
FBI HQ isn't a CTU replacement
, and there isn't a large scale WMD threat, i think this can turn out really well. I'm still peeved that The White House will play a role, but if it is more in line with season 1, which seems very likely, it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

I don't even recall the White House having any role to play in Season 1, because it was all about protecting a hopeful Presidential candidate (Palmer). Season 2 did the White House thing perfect.

MIMIC

Banned
I love the White House drama (probably because Sherry was such a great character :D), so the
D.C. setting
sounds great to me. Plus,
a change in venue
is an added bonus.

ZeoVGM

Banned
bud said:

No.

Marilyn Bauer likely won’t return

No, bring her back plz. :[

bill0527

I've said it before.. Fox is not going to give 24 the budget to go through a radical change this far into the series life cycle. They are content to just let it run into mediocrity until it dies and the audience disappears in the next couple of years.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Diablos said:
Bah, seems like they abandoned something different and went back to something safe since it costs less and is easier to execute. :\

Well...the ultimate goal of everyone involved in the show is to make money so anything that cuts into that too much is not a good idea. Something like that is better served for a movie.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Sitting in on the Comic Con 24 panel until 2 PM. Not much in the way of new info yet but
Chloe will be back, the cougar will not return, and they're very being very cagey about Tony Almeda actually being dead. They just keep saying "Keep watching."

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I hope you guys know it's a CTU in the new location. It was in the 24 game and Chase use to work there before transferring.

No spoilers needed.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
jobber said:
I hope you guys know it's a CTU in the new location. It was in the 24 game and Chase use to work there before transferring.

No spoilers needed.

Not according to the producers. They're saying that
CTU has been dismantled as an organization by the federal government.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I've only watched the first 6 or 7 episodes of 24 and I intend to finsih the season, but I certainly dont feel the same excitement that I did when i watched the first few seasons. From what ive watched of season 6, there has been one excellent episode and everything else feel the same as countless other episodes in previous seasons.

I'd love to have seen them move the show to africa, even if it isnt for a whole season. I just want to see something thats really different to what we are used to.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
jobber said:

No spoilers needed.

I don't know about that, I could have sworn in other interviews the producers said that they were done with using CTU.

That being said, having the location in DC doesn't confirm anything about CTU. CTU supposedly has locations all over the US. And Jack being freelance also doesn't prove anything because he hasn't worked for CTU since Season Three...

But still I could have sworn they said no more CTU.

jobber

Geek said:

Didn't that happen in season 5 then magically, it returned?

Blader

psycho_snake said:
I've only watched the first 6 or 7 episodes of 24 and I intend to finsih the season, but I certainly dont feel the same excitement that I did when i watched the first few seasons. From what ive watched of season 6, there has been one excellent episode and everything else feel the same as countless other episodes in previous seasons.

Take my advice: stop watching now, skip ahead to Hour 17, then skip ahead to the finale.

jobber said:
Didn't that happen in season 5 then magically, it returned?

No, they were merging the LA branch into Homeland Security but that was called off. For season 7,
it sounds like the organization doesn't even exist anymore.

reilo said:
I don't even recall the White House having any role to play in Season 1, because it was all about protecting a hopeful Presidential candidate (Palmer). Season 2 did the White House thing perfect.
Yeah, obviously i meant more in line with season 1 (and 5) in terms of the threat being directly linked to the President and giving us a better insight into their personal life.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Geek said:

Ah, that makes sense.
It never really made sense to me that CTU and Homeland Security both existed in 24. Didn't they basically do the same thing? I know the writers came up with CTU before Homeland was even put together, but now it just seems weird.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Hahaha! The producers just said that (in Season 6)
Jack's nephew was at one point planned to not be fathered by Jack, but by Phillip Bauer. They avoided confirming that the kid was a spawn of Jack but mentioned the only reason they didn't spell it out was that they couldn't get Marilyn and Jack together in the episode to reveal it.

Ree

Banned
Question. I watched almost all of season one, but only 2-3 eps of season 2 before I stopped watching entirely. How many of the seasons (days?) are as good, if not to say better, than season 1?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Geek said:
Jack's nephew was at one point planned to not be fathered by Jack, but by Phillip Bauer. They avoided confirming that the kid was a spawn of Jack but mentioned the only reason they didn't spell it out was that they couldn't get Marilyn and Jack together in the episode to reveal it.

Hmmm so the producers apparently read Spiderman....

jobber

Geek said:

most of us knew that.

reilo

Geek said:

Phillip Bauer? As in, Jack's father?
lmao. Idiotic.

Grizzlyjin

Geek said:

That would have been a serious low point for the show.

EDIT:
Now that I think about, it does make Philip's motives make a little more sense if he wanted to take his new son to China. Since Graham was dead and Jack would never go, Jack's nephew was all he had left...but still, the idea of Marilyn sleeping with Philip...come on!

Ree said:
Question. I watched almost all of season one, but only 2-3 eps of season 2 before I stopped watching entirely. How many of the seasons (days?) are as good, if not to say better, than season 1?

I thought Season Two was up there with Season One, personally. Some of the stuff in S2 was a little soap-operish, but they have that problem every season.

1,2, and 3 are all good. Season 4 starts out really strong, but then you can tell the writers didn't know where they were taking the show that year. S5 has an amazing villian going for it, but not much else. Season 6 was...I don't even know...lots of missteps, but it was still watchable most of the time.

If you're already getting tired of the series, I'd stop now. They use a lot of the same techniques over and over and over again, and after awhile you'll know a twist is coming. Its hard to shock 24 fans now because we expect a twist, which makes the twists has less impact.

No matter what, every single season has some really awesome parts, and then some really dumb ones...even Season 1. I still love the show to death though. :D

reilo

Season 1 = Season 2.

They are on par.

Season 3 is when they started jumping the shark.

Specifically when Jack killed Ryan Chapelle because the bad guy was mad that Chapelle managed to hack into his network. I mean, wtf?

psycho_snake

Ree said:
The first season is the best, but I think season 2 and season 3 come close.

The one thing that really pisses me off about season 2 is
kim getting kidnapped. It becomes very tedious and it feels like its just been added to fill some time

reilo said:
Season 1 = Season 2.

They are on par.

Specifically when Jack killed Ryan Chapelle because the bad guy was mad that Chapelle managed to hack into his network. I mean, wtf?
That was one of the best moments in season 3

ZeoVGM

Banned
reilo said:
Season 1 = Season 2.

They are on par.

Eh? That scene was amazing. First half of season 3 was eh, second half was just as good as seasons 1 and 2.

Season 4 was bleh. Too many back up plans. Season 5 is probably the best in the series (though I see people arguing over 5 or 1 all the time). Season 6 is just a ****ing mess.

Snaku

Banned
Probably a good thing they ditched the Africa plot, given the reaction RE5 has gotten so far from the retarded majority. =/

24 still needs change, desperately.

psycho_snake

omg rite said:
Eh? That scene was amazing. First half of season 3 was eh, second half was just as good as seasons 1 and 2.

Season 4 was bleh. Too many back up plans. Season 5 is probably the best in the series (though I see people arguing over 5 or 1 all the time). Season 6 is just a ****ing mess.
yeah season 3 started off quite slow. The first 5 or 6 episodes were quite dull.; Things started to get good when
jack and tony revealed their plan to get the virus to president palmer

Season 4 was ok. It had some good moments. I thought the part where
jack kills paul in order to save the chinese guys life
was really touching. The biggest problem with the season is that
marwans plans were too unrealistic. He managed to do too much in one day

season 5 is decent too. I wouldnt say its as good as season 1. The season started off really well, then from episodes 5-10, it became really dull and predictable. It went through quite a bad patch and things got good again when
we find out logan is behind all the days events

CAVE343

I found season 6 pretty enjoyable, not as much as the previous seasons though. The scene where Jack shoots
Curtis in the throat was mind blowing for me, just like the sudden death of pres. Palmer, Michelle and Tony in season 5
I also think Tom Lennox was an ass in season 5 but in season 6 he was just an bad ass character. Marilyn Bauer should stay away from season 7, she sucks :lol

MIMIC

Banned
Geek said:
Sitting in on the Comic Con 24 panel until 2 PM. Not much in the way of new info yet but
Chloe will be back, the cougar will not return, and they're very being very cagey about Tony Almeda actually being dead. They just keep saying "Keep watching."

Whaa??

CAVE343

jobber said:

Dunno I just found him annoying, maybe because he sold Jack out :D
In season 6 he was just great with the
taping of the vice pres.
and he also got much more time in the spot light, he played a pretty big role

Grizzlyjin

bad-joey said:
taping of the vice pres.

Tom Lennox has only been in Season 6. I think thats why jobber went all French on you.

MIMIC

Banned
bad-joey said:
taping of the vice pres.

Lennox wasn't in season 5.

EDIT: See poster above

CAVE343

MIMIC said:
Lennox wasn't in season 5.

EDIT: See poster above

OMG oops! :lol My bad haha. But then I'm just mixing things up. I'm lookin it up

Edit: Ok I found it, I was thinking Tom Lennox and Miles Papazian were the same hahah. Mixing things up after 6 seasons ;-)
I take back what I said, Tom just rocks :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom