• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

29 life lessons learned in travelling the world for 8 years straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaddenNFL64

milanbaros said:
Why do people dismiss people like this as not living in 'real life'? If a man can get by on very little and works for what he needs how is that not real life? Do people say it to justify how they have chosen to live their life? The need to get a house, a car a big tv etc? Weird.

Not dismissing him, his advice is sound (well most of it), but it's not new, or enlightening.

He can live his life any way he wants, but his possession free, nomad existence sounds like Ricky Williams mental breakdown to me :|.

milanbaros

Member?
Korey said:
It's un-American as hell.

What he's saying is like "be poor and travel a lot and you'll live a great fulfilling life."

But Americans must be aware that working hard for possessions is ultimately a thankless task? Why not focus on enjoying your life however that may be? Who told them that working 5 days a week, 9-5 for their entire lives would be the best use of their time on Earth?

What I see is jealousy that someone could be happy without possesions wheras they have been working their ass off with a promise of great happiness if only I could get a bigger house etc.

here in Britain as well there is an attitude that you should have to work hard to get your rewards. WTF? If you can be happy without working hard why should you?

I fell in love with this part.

"The universe owes you nothing, you owe it to yourself to be the master of where your life ends up."

And lust took over here

"There’s no such thing as destiny. This is excellent news!"

I myself have found happiness in a settled life, but his 'lessons' are basic and true. Agree with all of them.

daviyoung

Banned
milanbaros said:
But Americans must be aware that working hard for possessions is ultimately a thankless task?

No matter where you live, you're always working hard for possessions. We're lucky that we don't have to work very hard for basic possessions like food and water and a roof over our heads. We are able to afford the possessions we want, rather than the ones we need.

SmokyDave

Lostconfused said:
That depends on the person I guess. I found that statement to be true about my self. I spend a lot of time going through gaf pick up posts just looking at stuff and thinking about buying things. Even thought I don't need them and have no use for them.
Moderation is key, I reckon. I used to buy everything I wanted and then occasionally sit in a room full of crap with my head in my hands wanting to sell it all. Nowadays I only buy the things I really want and I tend to sell off my older gadgets & gizzits to help finance them. I've found a happy equilibrium now.

Lostconfused said:
That depends on the person I guess. I found that statement to be true about my self. I spend a lot of time going through gaf pick up posts just looking at stuff and thinking about buying things. Even thought I don't need them and have no use for them.

Well at this point in my life I love movies / games and the visual/audio that comes along w/ them. So yes, I've spent several thousand dollars on a tv, speakers, receiver, ps3, blu-ray, etc. And every time I sit down for a movie whether its for my own relaxation or w/ friends it puts a smile on my face.

Different strokes for different folks. A lot of his advice is good but this one seems like a more in your face "you're living your life wrong" type of one.

Spokker

I'm interested in his romantic life while he was living this life. Did he meet women? Did he have sex? Did he always carry around condoms? Did he masturbate? Was he always able to take care of those urges? I mean, they don't stop because you're a nomad. I'd like to hear about those lessons.

Carlisle

Great read. I got taste of a lot of this during my 1.5 years abroad in Japan. I had my own bubble of English speaking friends, like he warns against, but whenever I'd just take off with a native and let them take me around it was eye-opening.

Before I went abroad I had no idea what was out there, but after those glimpses I can't imagine what else is out there. I don't think I'll ever lose the travel bug.

daviyoung

Banned
Spokker said:
I'm interested in his romantic life while he was living this life. Did he meet women? Did he have sex? Did he always carry around condoms? Did he masturbate? Was he always able to take care of those urges? I mean, they don't stop because you're a nomad. I'd like to hear about those lessons.

The answers may go against the image he's trying to portray of himself.

Ichabod

Banned
As others have said, he raises some valid, albeit elementary, points but overall I got a serious trust fund hippie vibe from him. Caps on my internets? Sacrilige!

I think the most important thing to know is that everyone wants the same thing.

The "Other" person really isn't so "Other" or "different", so there is no need to think lesser of or hate that person for being different from you.

SmokyDave said:
Moderation is key, I reckon. I used to buy everything I wanted and then occasionally sit in a room full of crap with my head in my hands wanting to sell it all. Nowadays I only buy the things I really want and I tend to sell off my older gadgets & gizzits to help finance them. I've found a happy equilibrium now.
demosthenes said:
Well at this point in my life I love movies / games and the visual/audio that comes along w/ them. So yes, I've spent several thousand dollars on a tv, speakers, receiver, ps3, blu-ray, etc. And every time I sit down for a movie whether its for my own relaxation or w/ friends it puts a smile on my face.

Different strokes for different folks. A lot of his advice is good but this one seems like a more in your face "you're living your life wrong" type of one.
I don't disagree with his advice. And I do believe moderation is key in almost everything. Anything can be taken too far, even the good things. And it's not like I have been spending thousands of dollars either. I just find my self buying up movies that I liked but might never watch again. Part of is clearly my problem with impulse purchases but there is also this slight craving for something new, that next new gadget or that next new game.

I guess that's my drug of choice, I'll always have that slight craving to get some new stuff that I don't have.

Lostconfused said:
I don't disagree with his advice. And I do believe moderation is key in almost everything. Anything can be taken too far, even the good things. And it's not like I have been spending thousands of dollars either. I just find my self buying up movies that I liked but might never watch again. Part of is clearly my problem with impulse purchases but there is also this slight craving for something new, that next new gadget or that next new game.

I guess that's my drug of choice, I'll always have that slight craving to get some new stuff that I don't have.

I certainly agree that moderation is key. When I was 16/17 working @ Target I would get my paycheck and blow 1/2 of it that day on random shit I didn't need. I really regret it but it helps me to look back now and see the money I wasted so I don't do the same now.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ranger X said:
Yup. I also share most of those thoughts up there. Shame that this thread actually will not get popular.
Not really.. this the most generic shit I've ever read. Not that its invalid or untrue, I agree with a lot of these things. Its just that you don't need to travel 8 years straight to gain some higher knowledge about this stuff.

Other than the common knowledge life lessons, he's basically selling the idea of an extraverted-sensing, nomad lifestyle. Which is an interesting style of living, but by no means the lifestyle to end all others. I'd like to try this sometime (maybe not for eight years), but my introverted side will probably have a hard time being so open. It's not very productive (duh), but that's kinda the point.

demosthenes said:
I certainly agree that moderation is key. When I was 16/17 working @ Target I would get my paycheck and blow 1/2 of it that day on random shit I didn't need. I really regret it but it helps me to look back now and see the money I wasted so I don't do the same now.

This reeks as to how I use to behave as a consumer. Now I have a budget. Every month I sit down, take a look at my statements, calculate what taxes, necessities and miscellaneous I need. I will tell you, it's difficult and at times even a budget will not hinder my overcompensation.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
snoopeasystreet said:
He's from Cavan, no wonder he doesn't want to come back.
Must be how he lived so frugally. Cavan people are well known as the most miserly people in Ireland.

MaddenNFL64

demosthenes said:

Ya, but the fact you can live that way & still be comfortable is part of first world society.

And if you have the income to support buying shit you don't need, there's nothing wrong with that. I think the mentality of bemoaning owning too much shit is another aspect of "first world guilt".

turnbuckle

SmokyDave said:
There's some really good, if slightly basic, advice in there.

Made me feel warm and fuzzy that I've already come to realise 95% of that stuff.

Yup, some of it I'm still realizing today.

But
29. The most important lessons in life can never be expressed in black and white, but must be experienced
would seem to eliminate the need to make a list of 29 life lessons.

:p

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
The deferring my happiness kinda relates to me. Maybe I should rethink my life plans.

Prine

Banned
20. Wear sunscreen

Seriously. Protect your skin.

22. Dance and sing whenever possible

Dancing and singing are great releases and forms of expression. It’s hard not to feel good after a session of either!

Baz Lhurman??

One lesson i've learned from my travel. Dont take the internet as authority when it comes to summing up regions and its people. This reasoning limits you, is irrational and may prevent you on missing out on something really special. My horizons have expanded significantly after losing some judgements i made on certain areas, im going to visit and find out for myself.

Also reminds me how lucky i am living the way i do. To be content, grateful and compassionate, behavior i was taught as a child but forgot as the years past. Its central to my reasoning again. Loving life because of it.

spiderman123 said:
This reeks as to how I use to behave as a consumer. Now I have a budget. Every month I sit down, take a look at my statements, calculate what taxes, necessities and miscellaneous I need. I will tell you, it's difficult and at times even a budget will not hinder my overcompensation.

When you're 16/17 you (growing up in suburbia) don't have bills to pay or anything like that XP. Though I was able to pay for 3/4 of a 3 week trip to Europe from my job which I was pretty proud of.

MaddenNFL64 said:
Ya, but the fact you can live that way & still be comfortable is part of first world society.

And if you have the income to support buying shit you don't need, there's nothing wrong with that. I think the mentality of bemoaning owning too much shit is another aspect of "first world guilt".

I don't feel guilty, I just wish I was smarter about how I spent my money. I bought a lot of DVDs I never ended up watching or just watched once....ugh.

CrankyJay

Banned
navanman said:
Must be how he lived so frugally. Cavan people are well known as the most miserly people in Ireland.

I read this as Caravan...as in...

Snatch7.jpeg

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
It's like anyone who shares their knowledge. They often come off as smug or elitist.
Can't say I disagree with any of it though. It's not exactly mind-blowing material.
It's not just that he's sharing knowledge. To me, his smugness comes from saying that people who have different views on life are "delusional" or stating things like destiny doesn't exist as a fact. I honestly agree with most points on his list, but he's saying a lot of people live their lives wrong and often orders the reader to do stuff like it's the only correct way to do things.

Biff

Took him 8 years to figure all that out? lol

If you get a job in the real world you learn this shit very very quickly. Dodging responsibility by travelling the world, staying in hostels and eating super cheap (according to him he survives on ~$60 USD per day, or the cost of his e-book which he sells on his blog) does not give you elite god-status on life lessons.

The fact that he addresses loneliness means he is lonely. Sure, he has pen pals and e-friends, but moving somewhere new every three months must be hard. I feel like he probably cries a lot.

Spokker

demosthenes said:
I don't feel guilty, I just wish I was smarter about how I spent my money. I bought a lot of DVDs I never ended up watching or just watched once....ugh.
So your life lesson is to rent instead of buy. Be happy you learned something.

I read this in the voice of an irritating hippy I knew in college, and I wanted to punch someone the entire time. This guy would go on and on about stuff like the post above, like he was some great wise man for repeating things we were told in elementary school. "Life life to your fullest, love people, don't procrastinate on things, get to work". This guy would also rant about how parents "don't want to take the time to be parents anymore", and immediately afterward would complain about how troublesome his own kid was, and how she has to be put on Ritalin because she's uncontrollable. Oi.

I can't ever trust people who go out of their way to preach on about life like this, especially when they think that traveling is some form of criteria that makes your opinions respectable.

Cynaith

The world that is worth experiencing is not in books or on TV or computer screens.

Experience is the greatest teacher of all. Stop reading about or watching the world passively and start living it.

I'm slightly surprised at how flippant this guy is about books, as if they're not a valid source of knowledge.

I guess it's his way of getting his message across: reading is not a substitute for living. Still, he seems to disregard the possibility of striking a balance between the two.

Spokker

ChefRamsay said:
If you get a job in the real world you learn this shit very very quickly. Dodging responsibility by travelling the world
He did an engineering internship in Paris. He has a college degree in electrical engineering. He paid his own way. What responsbility was he dodging?

If only I could afford to dismiss my responsibilites and travel for eight years.

Most of that list is good advice but he relays it in a preachy fashion. Also, I think most people come to this realization in one way or another.

Some people are just reading the bolded parts. Read the non bolded areas as well and take the advice ( as I see IMO, not a proclamation) for what you will.

Your Excellency said:
30. Start telling other people how to live their lives

I think I'm fine with my internet, 55inch big screen, PS3 and upcoming job as a commercial lawyer. And my horrible loneliness, natch.

I'll agree. Many of his points I agree with, but some of them it just comes off me wrong.

I applaude and absolutely admire his travel experience, but some of his "lessons" just catch me wrong.

milanbaros

Member?
ChefRamsay said:
Took him 8 years to figure all that out? lol

If you get a job in the real world you learn this shit very very quickly. Dodging responsibility by travelling the world, staying in hostels and eating super cheap (according to him he survives on ~$60 USD per day, or the cost of his e-book which he sells on his blog) does not give you elite god-status on life lessons.

The fact that he addresses loneliness means he is lonely. Sure, he has pen pals and e-friends, but moving somewhere new every three months must be hard. I feel like he probably cries a lot.

Care to explain?

spiderman123 said:
Maybe I should have added a grotesque title :p. But in all seriousness, traveling the world has always been one of me dreams. I just lack that commitment.

It is one of my dreams too. I really want to do it, but I need to gather the balls to do it. I dream of literally travelling with a backpack with a laptop and camera, and a duffel with a few changes of clothes and a toothbrush. Drifting and finding odd jobs to get by.

Thanks for the link, not only is the article great, but the website looks great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom