• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

29 life lessons learned in travelling the world for 8 years straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
ChefRamsay said:
With all this guy's lovey-dovey talk about relationships and love and the best things in life are free, he funnily skips over the impact of having children.

Why? Because in his current situation he will never be able to afford to bring one into the world.

--> Why? Because he doesn't own property and isn't working towards such a future.

-----> Why? Because he lives off next-to-nothing and spends what little money he makes on cheap living expenses.

--------> Why? Because he doesn't accept the responsibility that everyone else who wants to bring another life into this world has accepted. You need a stable job, a stable income and a safe home to raise a child in a way that will give him the opportunity and access to education and the chance to make a difference.

maybe if he had children on his vacation, there would have been a section on children.

Cause it would make no fucking sense to have a section about children in an article about lessons learned while travelling when there were no children involved.

But no, all of his talk is invalid because he isn't settled in the suburbs with a wife, kids, job, and house. Everybody should listen Joe Regulardude instead, right?

What is with the stingy attitude with some of you? I thought the lessons - while something that I have heard / read about many times before - were a good reminder of how to approach life. Traveling is great, although I'm content with traveling 'every now and then' instead of making it a life-style. Then again, I'm living my dream right now ( being a professional actor ), so I can't complain.

I don't watch TV ( although I do spend a lot of time browsing the internet ), and I agree that mindless channel-surfing ( just the same as mindless web-surfing, though ) can have negative effects on your life.

I also agree that meeting new people isn't hard - basically it's only as hard as you make it to be.

Spokker

ChefRamsay said:
With all this guy's lovey-dovey talk about relationships and love and the best things in life are free, he funnily skips over the impact of having children.
His priority may not be to have children.

Why? Because in his current situation he will never be able to afford to bring one into the world.
He has a degree in electrical engineering and has electrical engineering work experience in Paris. He could find this type of work if he wanted to.

--> Why? Because he doesn't own property and isn't working towards such a future.
You don't have to be traveling the world to be in that kind of predicament. Though I hestitate to call it a predicament. You may have been socially engineered to strive for the American Dream of a big house in the suburbs and two cars in the garage and a dog in the backyard and four of your clones running around. This may ultimately be unsustainable but the jury is out on that one.

Those who owned houses got into a bit of a pickle a few years ago. So you may want to look into that.

-----> Why? Because he lives off next-to-nothing and spends what little money he makes on cheap living expenses.
If he ever wanted to slow down, he is in a good position to settle and get a job where ever he wants permanently because he was experience, education, intelligence and a strong work ethic.

--------> Why? Because he doesn't accept the responsibility that everyone else who wants to bring another life into this world has accepted. You need a stable job, a stable income and a safe home to raise a child in a way that will give him the opportunity and access to education and the chance to make a difference.
Birth rates in developed countries are on the way down. Some have entered or will enter negative growth. When women have a stable job and stable income (and the opportunity to secure those things), they are less likely to want to have children. Perhaps they are skirting their responsibility?

Smision said:
why would I think about your comment when it rests on a false assumption about the article. He never says money isn't important:

There is no general anti-money message in here. Just that money isn't a solution to problems if you've got your basic needs taken care of and that excessive consumerism isn't healthy. Hard to argue against those messages, though.

As someone who works for a non-profit organization - Money helps solve a hell of a lot of problems. More money will do a hell of a lot more to solve those problems.

I personally don't need more than is required to live but basics needs can be a problem if you don't have the money to support yourself. His point about posessions is spot on. He was better off sticking with that and not preaching the more money never solves problems crap - because it does.

In fact, I agree with most of what he has to say. I just can't pull the wool over my eyes on that particular one.

I feel that he is right about pretty much everything.

Someone of those I will not practice though, but most of them I try to (like number one).

I need to come to better grips with the possessions thing, because what he says is true there. I shouldn't chase everything.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Those are...profound? I learned the majority of those in my late teens, its why I went from being a miserable person to a happy one.

Pretty good advice though.

Spokker

DoctorWho said:
As someone who works for a non-profit organization - Money helps solve a hell of a lot of problems. More money will do a hell of a lot more to solve those problems.
I too think he is full of shit on that one, but it sounded like you are implying that he is a hypocrite and I don't see anything that suggests he is.

DoctorWho said:
As someone who works for a non-profit organization - Money helps solve a hell of a lot of problems.

I personally don't need more than is required to live but basics needs can be a problem if you don't have the money to support it. His point about posessions is spot on. He was better off sticking with that and not preaching the money never solves problems crap - because it does.

His point was that, for individuals and not non-profit organizations, it's not good to worry about money all the time. For example, student loans. Some people spend every day flipping the fuck out about them and stressing over every call, while other people understand that you can only pay what you can at a time and that they really can't do anything in the present moment to pay down the entire debt--all they can do is keep working and doing what they're doing. Yes, money would solve both of their problems, but the latter person is happier. Money will always be a factor, of course...

not saying his words are golden. they are general lessons you can read anywhere...just that there's really nothing to be cynical about and the article is not a personal attack on the world haha

Spokker

Kam said:
This as well, but for a different reason.

He writes, "Your limitations are not set by who you know, where you were born, what genes you have, how much money you have, how old you are right now, what you did before or other things that you can claim are your stamp of failure for life."

He made money teaching English in many counties. His ability to secure that kind of work was so doubt made extremely easier by the fact that English is in such high demand around the world. It is the international language of business, after all.

It also helped that he was white and many of the people he met treated him kindly because they saw what they thought was a white tourist walking around with those tasty tourist dollars flying out of his asshole.

I have to wonder whether a Chinese world traveler would have similar success in Japan. How would an Arab traveller fare trying to secure work fresh off the plane in America? Europe is not without its hatred of foreigners as well, and they too have many conservative types that dislike brown people going to their countries and looking for work.

This world traveller does sound very conservative in the "bootstraps" sort of way. There is no such thing as destiny, but there are social constructs that can make it difficult for different kinds of people to pursue happiness, or even board a goddamn plane.

gwarm01

The guy has a lot of good points and I agree with him on basically everything, but he comes off as a smug tool in a lot of these. I guess since I managed to figure a lot of this stuff out on my own I don't really like reading about it in a way that screams "hey stupid, you're doing it wrong!"

Spokker said:
I too think he is full of shit on that one, but it sounded like you are implying that he is a hypocrite and I don't see anything that suggests he is.

His statement just rubs me the wrong way.

He starts with "More money will NEVER solve your problems" and then in the first sentence he basically has a big UNLESS you're in this or this situation. I believe he uses poor/homeless. Note that NEVER is in all caps and then he immediately back pedals.

There are A LOT of other situations when you will need more money besides simply beeing poor or homeless. Those go beyond student loans as well.

I agree with the spirit of what he's trying to say but the statement feels like it was ripped out of the "Hippy's Guide to Being a Hippy." His statement about posessions is spot on, like I have said.

Smision said:
His point was that, for individuals and not non-profit organizations, it's not good to worry about money all the time. For example, student loans. Some people spend every day flipping the fuck out about them and stressing over every call, while other people understand that you can only pay what you can at a time and that they really can't do anything in the present moment to pay down the entire debt--all they can do is keep working and doing what they're doing. Yes, money would solve both of their problems, but the latter person is happier. Money will always be a factor, of course...

not saying his words are golden. they are general lessons you can read anywhere...just that there's really nothing to be cynical about and the article is not a personal attack on the world haha

I don't read it as an attack on the world at all. The rest of his article is good advice.

What's funny is my avatar and name is the poster child for the traveling hippy.

Biff

Smision said:
maybe if he had children on his vacation, there would have been a section on children.

Cause it would make no fucking sense to have a section about children in an article about lessons learned while travelling when there were no children involved.

But no, all of his talk is invalid because he isn't settled in the suburbs with a wife, kids, job, and house. Everybody should listen Joe Regulardude instead, right?
He taught children English. He met tons of new people. There absolutely were children involved, and didn't make a single comment about them or what he learned from them. Didn't want to touch an issue he can't answer to.

Spokker said:
His priority may not be to have children.

He has a degree in electrical engineering and has electrical engineering work experience in Paris. He could find this type of work if he wanted to.

You don't have to be traveling the world to be in that kind of predicament. Though I hestitate to call it a predicament. You may have been socially engineered to strive for the American Dream of a big house in the suburbs and two cars in the garage and a dog in the backyard and four of your clones running around. This may ultimately be unsustainable but the jury is out on that one.

Those who owned houses got into a bit of a pickle a few years ago. So you may want to look into that.

If he ever wanted to slow down, he is in a good position to settle and get a job where ever he wants permanently because he was experience, education, intelligence and a strong work ethic.

Birth rates in developed countries are on the way down. Some have entered or will enter negative growth. When women have a stable job and stable income (and the opportunity to secure those things), they are less likely to want to have children. Perhaps they are skirting their responsibility?
His degree is useless without experience, and his travels will absolutely not help him find a stable job in Engineering after. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, I promise you I know more about the Engineering field than you do. Unless he's prepared to start off at the bottom of the chain 10 years late to the game, he is in a very poor position to start looking for job that pays someone for 10 years of experience.

He has an internship, that's all that counts.

As for the other arguments, that's clearly a difference in our perspective and won't be solved with a few posts online. I feel that if I die without creating something that can be better than me, I have failed. I may not be smart enough to solve the energy crisis or cure cancer, but I hope that I can do my best to position my kid to do something as equally great.

When I die, I'm gone. The only thing I leave behind is a legacy. This guy here isn't going to leave behind shit, except for the advice "hey bro, just leech off the generosity of others and you can pay no taxes too! P.S. corporate america suxxxxx and all of u r sheep" lol

Spokker

DoctorWho said:
His statement just rubs me the wrong way.

He starts with "More money will NEVER solve your problems" and then in the first sentence he basically has a big UNLESS you're in this or this situation. I believe he uses poor/homeless. Note that NEVER is in all caps and then he immediately back pedals.
I see your point.

Whether more money will help you is relative to how much money you make I suppose. There is a concept called the marginal utility of wealth that states that the next dollar you make is always less valuable than the ones you made before it. If you have $20 thousand and you make $20 thousand more, that is a huge bump in the utility of your wealth. If you have $200 thousand and make $20 thousand more, it's a bump, but not as big.

A recent study put the sweet spot at $60 thousand. That is, once you make $60 thousand per year, happiness doesn't rise quickly anymore. That income level is certainly more than what you need to cover basic needs, so it appears that most people want enough money to cover basic needs and then some.

shuri

Banned
Those people are some of the most annoying type of person on earth.

I have a cousin who did the same exact thing and is preaching the same, EXACT, WORD FOR WORD, type of bullshit. All that bs about how life is different out there bla bla bla, material possessions are evil, etc etc. She's currently holed up in Australia, working at some emu farm or something. Life is so awesome and bla bla bla

The thing is.. SHE IS DROWNING IN DEBTS HERE IN CANADA. Last count I heard was that she owned over 40-50k in cc debts. But she never really mentions that when she gives us that bs speech like in the OP. So much for living free when she owe the govs and various companies all that money. Oh and she also met some oldmoney french dude who'se giving her a free ride around the world now. Shit gets so much easier when you live real-life on freegame mode.

Spokker

ChefRamsay said:
Unless he's prepared to start off at the bottom of the chain 10 years late to the game, he is in a very poor position to start looking for job that pays someone for 10 years of experience.
He clearly does not put a major emphasis on money so I'm not sure why this matters.

When I die, I'm gone. The only thing I leave behind is a legacy. This guy here isn't going to leave behind shit
His writings won't suddenly disappear upon his death and past experience suggests your child will only be marginally more successful than you are. Considering the state of the labor market and the possbility of a "new normal" he may be part of the first generation to do worse than their parents. It won't help him that generations before him put his generation into a choking amount of debt that they may never recover from.

except for the advice "hey bro, just leech off the generosity of others and you can pay no taxes too! P.S. corporate america suxxxxx and all of u r sheep" lol
What makes you say that he leeched off the generosity of others, did not pay taxes and insulted sheep?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Decent article but talking shit on TV is so easy to do and is really a stupid thing to do too. Sure, sitting around watching whatever is on is a waste of time. But have people like this ever watched The Wire? Saying TV is bad is like saying reading books is bad. There might not be as many incredible and enlightening TV shows as there are books, but they exist. And there will be more in time.

Takuan

SmokyDave said:
There's some really good, if slightly basic, advice in there.

Made me feel warm and fuzzy that I've already come to realise 95% of that stuff.
First reply nails it. I think that even the most bigoted individual would change his views after getting some true world experience on his own.

Some of you are pretty quick to claim that the author's brand of happiness isn't the right kind. Especially when inclusive messages like these are in his #5 and #6:

As you can probably guess from #3, I have some beliefs about the world that don’t jive with a lot of people’s. However, a lot of people get their meaning in life from believing in things I don’t. If everyone thought like me, the world would be a very boring place.

Enough words and enough arguing. Just live by example and soon you’ll have people on your side when they see your results and how passionate you are. No need to “convince” them. Just show them that you are there, tell them how you got there, and they will start to realise that maybe you aren’t that crazy after all.

shuri said:
Those people are some of the most annoying type of person on earth.

I have a cousin who did the same exact thing and is preaching the same, EXACT, WORD FOR WORD, type of bullshit. All that bs about how life is different out there bla bla bla, material possessions are evil, etc etc. She's currently holed up in Australia, working at some emu farm or something. Life is so awesome and bla bla bla

The thing is.. SHE IS DROWNING IN DEBTS HERE IN CANADA. Last count I heard was that she owned over 40-50k in cc debts. But she never really mentions that when she gives us that bs speech like in the OP. So much for living free when she owe the govs and various companies all that money. Oh and she also met some oldmoney french dude who'se giving her a free ride around the world now. Shit gets so much easier when you live real-life on freegame mode.

So true.

Angry Fork

ITT - Butt hurt people with responsibilities and regrets wish they can live this life but can't (or so they think), so they decide to dismiss it and say it's BS/hate on the people who do this.

Anyway I disagree with some of the stuff on the list but most of it is sound. There's certainly some hypocrisy going on (you need money to travel for instance unless you have some connections/airline job or something), but I doubt this guy is lying through his teeth or trying to 'convince' other people to be poor.

Some of his stuff also doesn't address people like me who would 100% honestly rather be rich than have a family. You can always meet people and make friends/family without being rich but being rich gives you a certain kind of freedom you just can't get with all the lovey dovey down to earth stuff.

My main goal is to be rich by 30 and not because I want to buy a shitload of lamborghini's or mansions, but because I hate waking up every morning and having to do something I don't like doing just to survive. I want to be able to wake up, plan my day and just do that, no matter what it is, whether it's staying home playing games all day or going out and climbing a mountain. I don't care if I live in a small apartment or whatever I just don't want to have to worry about money problems (rent, healthcare, travel costs, etc.) I want that stuff to be out of my mind which is what wealth and financial freedom is to me.

Jenga said:
8 years spent learning the obvious
I don't get why people keep saying this. He chose to share his opinion on the 8th anniversary of this travel quest thing, that doesn't mean it took him 8 years to learn it. Maybe he already thought this was the case at 21 but decided to travel to see if it was true, who knows.

Lots of armchair judgments on gaf acting like they know the world (and this guy) but probably haven't seen as much as he has.

shuri

Banned
Angry Fork said:
My main goal is to be rich by 30 and not because I want to buy a shitload of lamborghini's or mansions, but because I hate waking up every morning and having to do something I don't like doing just to survive. I want to be able to wake up, plan my day and just do that, no matter what it is, whether it's staying home playing games all day or going out and climbing a mountain. I don't care if I live in a small apartment or whatever I just don't want to have to worry about money problems (rent, healthcare, travel costs, etc.) I want that stuff to be out of my mind which is what wealth and financial freedom is to me.
You are in for a rude awakening

Angry Fork said:
ITT - Butt hurt people with responsibilities and regrets wish they can live this life but can't (or so they think), so they decide to dismiss it and say it's BS/hate on the people who do this.

Anyway I disagree with some of the stuff on the list but most of it is sound. There's certainly some hypocrisy going on (you need money to travel for instance unless you have some connections/airline job or something), but I doubt this guy is lying through his teeth or trying to 'convince' other people to be poor.

Some of his stuff also doesn't address people like me who would 100% honestly rather be rich than have a family. You can always meet people and make friends/family without being rich but being rich gives you a certain kind of freedom you just can't get with all the lovey dovey down to earth stuff.

I'm 33 and still want the exact same thing. If you hit 30 and you still haven't achieved your goal, don't give up. I'm fighting to get there myself.

shuri said:

We all have dreams.

Reads like 29 examples of common sense and the guy does sound like an asshole but some of this is definitely legit and more power to him for dodging responsibilities for so long.
Would like to know how he would roll up in new countries not knowing anybody but would magically be able to obtain working visas everywhere he went though, makes it seem like there is a lot more to this story than appears.....

you can try to dismiss those people but a lot of this stuff is simple common sense/truths.

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Reads like 29 examples of common sense and the guy does sound like an asshole but some of this is definitely legit and more power to him for dodging responsibilities for so long.
Would like to know how he would roll up in new countries not knowing anybody but would magically be able to obtain working visas everywhere he went though, makes it seem like there is a lot more to this story than appears.....

I think a breakdown of his eight year journey would be interesting to read.

Derrick01

Banned
The whole thing came off as preachy and assholish, like I need to do most of that stuff to be happy.

If I could live the way I live now but with enough money to never work again and never worry about bills, I would reach my ultimate happy point. I'm fine with not traveling the world and being single, I don't need to do anything to convince myself I'm happy.

Not a bad list but as it went on I kind of got the feeling I would want to tell this person to go fuck themselves if I met them in real life and then it was confirmed with,

"22. Dance and sing whenever possible

Dancing and singing are great releases and forms of expression. It’s hard not to feel good after a session of either!"

Angry Fork

shuri said:
And? No matter where I end up at 30 i'll still be miles ahead of where I am now.
DoctorWho said:
I'm 33 and still want the exact same thing. If you hit 30 and you still haven't achieved your goal, don't give up. I'm fighting to get there myself.
Thanks. I'm not opposed to working either I mean being rich and not having to work is the ultimate goal but if I had a job that I loved doing/found interesting that paid well then that would be great too. I really don't believe either goal is impossible (unless one had a kid or wife or something that you had to think about, but I don't have either foreveralone.jpg etc.)

Teh Hamburglar said:
you can try to dismiss those people but a lot of this stuff is simple common sense/truths.
Yea definitely, it just bugs me sometimes when gaf shows it's pessimistic disdain over nothing.

mollipen

SmokyDave said:
Yeah, that's one of the ones that I disagree with. I have a lovely relationship with my 'possessions' and I like adding new possessions. That doesn't make me a vapid consumer.

I used to think that exact same thing, and then came to realize how wrong I was.

ChefRamsay said:
He taught children English. He met tons of new people. There absolutely were children involved, and didn't make a single comment about them or what he learned from them. Didn't want to touch an issue he can't answer to.

His degree is useless without experience, and his travels will absolutely not help him find a stable job in Engineering after. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, I promise you I know more about the Engineering field than you do. Unless he's prepared to start off at the bottom of the chain 10 years late to the game, he is in a very poor position to start looking for job that pays someone for 10 years of experience.

He has an internship, that's all that counts.

As for the other arguments, that's clearly a difference in our perspective and won't be solved with a few posts online. I feel that if I die without creating something that can be better than me, I have failed. I may not be smart enough to solve the energy crisis or cure cancer, but I hope that I can do my best to position my kid to do something as equally great.

When I die, I'm gone. The only thing I leave behind is a legacy. This guy here isn't going to leave behind shit, except for the advice "hey bro, just leech off the generosity of others and you can pay no taxes too! P.S. corporate america suxxxxx and all of u r sheep" lol
The irony here is you come off as much of a prick as people are saying this guy comes off as, because nothing about what you type is necessarily the right way to go about living life, a matter or fact there is no "right" way.

People live to a point and then they die that's the reality of the situation as far as I am concern this idea of leaving behind a legacy is just self serving bullshit I frankly don't give a shit about what happens to the world after I am gone.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Angry Fork said:
And? No matter where I end up at 30 i'll still be miles ahead of where I am now.

Thanks. I'm not opposed to working either I mean being rich and not having to work is the ultimate goal but if I had a job that I loved doing/found interesting that paid well then that would be great too. I really don't believe either goal is impossible (unless one had a kid or wife or something that you had to think about, but I don't have either foreveralone.jpg etc.)

days up and down they come
like rain on a conga drum
forget most, remember some--
but don't turn none away.

everything is not enough,
and nothing is too much to bear
where you been is good and gone,
all you keep's the gettin' there

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
milanbaros said:
Why do people dismiss people like this as not living in 'real life'? If a man can get by on very little and works for what he needs how is that not real life? Do people say it to justify how they have chosen to live their life? The need to get a house, a car a big tv etc? Weird.

I think it really comes down to this type of life not really being sustainable. If everyone in the world lived like this, there wouldn't be much of a reason to visit anywhere, since no one would have made anything worth visiting.

I do envy him a bit, though. I love traveling.

Angry Fork said:

Dude, I'm a student currently on holiday. I have no responsibilities right now as I'm living off my parents dime. I can do whatever I want: watch tv all day, go travelling, shopping, etc etc. And whilst it's fun, I'm still too lonely. I can't wait to move to London in a few months and start studying with friends again.

Happiness needs to be shared dogg.

Stop wasting your parents money traveling the world and become a contributing member of society

and maybe someone will take your homespun bullshit seriously

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Great article. Reminds me of Miyamoto Musashi's Dokkodo, which he wrote a week before his death in 1645.

Wikipedia said:
It was largely composed on the occasion of Musashi giving away his possessions in preparation for death, and was dedicated to his favorite disciple, Terao Magonojo (to whom the earlier Go rin no sho had also been dedicated), who took them to heart. It expresses a stringent, honest, and ascetic view of life.

1. Accept everything just the way it is.

2. Do not seek pleasure for its own sake.

3. Do not, under any circumstances, depend on a partial feeling.

4. Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world.

5. Be detached from desire your whole life long.

6. Do not regret what you have done.

7. Never be jealous.

8. Never let yourself be saddened by a separation.

9. Resentment and complaint are appropriate neither for oneself nor others.

10. Do not let yourself be guided by the feeling of lust or love.

11. In all things have no preferences.

12. Be indifferent to where you live.

13. Do not pursue the taste of good food.

14. Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need.

15. Do not act following customary beliefs.

16. Do not collect weapons or practice with weapons beyond what is useful.

17. Do not fear death.

18. Do not seek to possess either goods or fiefs for your old age.

19. Respect Buddha and the gods without counting on their help.

20. You may abandon your own body but you must preserve your honour.

21. Never stray from the Way.

speedpop said:
2. Do not seek pleasure for its own sake.

11. In all things have no preferences.

12. Be indifferent to where you live.

13. Do not pursue the taste of good food.

19. Respect Buddha and the gods without counting on their help.

LOL. Absolutely terrible list. Respect the flying Buddha monster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom