• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

29 life lessons learned in travelling the world for 8 years straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabundo

Nice. Interesting guy. Some notes:

First off. I doubt this guy is rich or from a rich family. He might be, but he could quiet easily be self made.

Everyone who is smart and motivated, or just motivated, in Ireland can get a degree . Education is (mostly) free up to the end of your primary degree and they might even throw in a grant depending on your family status. Jobs were very plentiful around the time he was doing his degree so he could have easily worked up some travel capital during that time.

Ryanair flights around Europe can be a couple of quid, if you're an opportunist.

You can see from the country list below that as an EU citizen he would have legally been able to work and travel to all the EU countries. And it is pretty easy for a guy with a tech degree to get Visas to most countries, including the US. But I'd guess he probably did work illegally in some of the countries.

He from Cavan in Ireland, it is a small, out of the way county right in the middle. There aren't a lot of people there and if you want a decent job you probably would have to move to Dublin or elsewhere. And most of the populous are half mad anyway.

Country List said:
2008: Northeast of Brazil ( Carnaval), Canary Islands, Slovakia, Nevada ( Burning Man), San Francisco, Buenos Aires

2007: Italy, Montreal, Ireland, London

2006: Brazil, Barcelona, Salamanca

2005: Paris, Toulouse

2004: Valencia, Freiburg, Munich, Italy

2003: Valencia

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
interesting and some of that stuff is common sense, some of it is nice, however the

'possessions end up owning you'

is kind of stupid. If you want to have kids, then a house and a car and a stable environment to raise them in is required. I've travelled a lot and understand his perspective because I felt that way for a long time, but when you want stability then a dishwasher is a fucking nice thing to have, because it allows you more time to take your kids outside and play. Also, kids are shitty to have at a backpackers, while you're being all free and life loving.

Also, this guy has probably sacrificed career, unless he made a career out of travelling in some way, which isn't available to all.

EDIT: he also talks about money like he's never had a real problem having it. (neither have I, but you know, you shouldn't talk about money like it's worth nothing, because it is, it's money)

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Oh, just saw the country list. The guy has no idea. Hasn't visited Asia, Africa; that's where cultures actually clash. For instance, travelling countries like Afghanistan, Pakistan, Turkey as a western woman is something else. Trust me on this.

Arjen

wolfmat said:
Oh, just saw the country list. The guy has no idea. Hasn't visited Asia, Africa; that's where cultures actually clash. For instance, travelling countries like Afghanistan, Pakistan, Turkey as a western woman is something else. Trust me on this.

I wouldn't name Turkey in the same sentence as Afghanistan and Pakistan.
It's perfectly fine to travel to Turkey as a Western woman.

Vagabundo

wolfmat said:

I believe he is currently living in Istanbul, learning Turkish.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Arjen said:
I wouldn't name Turkey in the same sentence as Afghanistan and Pakistan.
It's perfectly fine to travel to Turkey as a Western woman.
Noted. But I want to add that I doubt that statement when it comes to specific regions. But I can't tell myself. Turkey has changed a LOT in the last decades.

Interesting read, but I disagree with some, and looking at the country list vagabunda just posted...it doesn't seem like he is as "worldly" as I thought while reading. I mean...I was expecting at least one black African country, at least 1 muslim country, Asia? Please don't think that I'm jealous or anything...he just made it all sound so much more adventurous.

Not so say that the culture shock isn't strong for the places he visited or anything like that....it's just kinda funny, I was reading this imagining him in the desert talking to people wearing colorful robes with hijabs on...lmao, this guy is in Barca partying it up.

Speaking on that...something that stayed in the back of my mind the entire time was how many variables there are to how people are treated and to how others allow you to treat them. I don't want to get too into it...but I imagine it's not too bad for an english speaking, white, male to travel around and make friends (Especially in Europe, c'mon man).

And fuck the "money doesn't make happiness" shit...just fuck it to hell.

Man travels for 8 years - thinks he knows everything?

Most of the shit he wrote is bollocks as some of the statements he has written are true for some people who are not travelling.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
freddy said:
Some class A tears here in this thread after the guy layed the smack down on some of your shallow ideals.
Don't kid yourself, you're in it yourself, as is the author of that lessons post, same for Obama, the whore down the street, Julian Assange and Jimmy Wales. The question is who's honest with himself and others.

ok, so lets hear gaf's awesome collected wisdom from being joe averageguy who is raising 2 kids, wife, and dog in his mcmansion where everything is totally normal.

because apparently that's where the real wisdom comes from. It's just that people are generally interested in hearing from interesting people, which I'm sure all the naysayers aren't. Just average guys with sticks up their butts who can't just turn away when they disagree on some basic life advice.

extra lulz if you have anything in there about being humble or listening to others.

Derrick01

Banned
freddy said:
Some class A tears here in this thread after the guy layed the smack down on some of your shallow ideals.

Something I do is only shallow if I end up believing it is. Otherwise it's just someone else's opinion and good luck convincing me I give a shit about that.

Smision said:
ok, so lets hear gaf's awesome collected wisdom from being joe averageguy who is raising 2 kids, wife, and dog in his mcmansion where everything is totally normal.

because apparently that's where the real wisdom comes from. It's just that people are generally interested in hearing from interesting people, which I'm sure all the naysayers aren't. Just average guys with sticks up their butts who can't just turn away when they disagree on some basic life advice.

extra lulz if you have anything in there about being humble or listening to others.

I find nothing interesting about this guy, for the record. There are a few things on the list that I can at least kind of agree with, including "no one has all the answers", I hope he includes himself in that rule because he sure as hell does not.

Smision said:

The sad thing is not that people with "normal" establishment lives are not writing practical hints on how to be happy. They are, and they are backed by empirical evidence which should give them more weight than the subjective opinions of one world traveller, media industry prophets or conflicting advice handed down from the ancients.

It's exciting to hear from one globetrotter that from hobnobbing with millionaires and street kids something like, "hey guys, I've seen stuff you never have or will and money doesn't make you happy." But not so exciting, apparently, to hear that studies have proven that statistically people don't get more happy above a certain level of income.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
piddledy said:
David Foster Wallace gave a great commencement speech about "the value of the totally obvious," which is how I think some people are describing the OP's life lessons. (Link. Video Link.)

I highly recommend it!

quoting so others will enjoy it as much as i did. thank you.

I'm always wary of anyone who thinks they have it all figured out. What holds true for one person might not for another. I do agree with some of that stuff though.

Meh, it just seems cynical to always attack the writer of these kinds of things. obviously he's not perfect and not even in a remote position to tell anyone to do anything with their lives, but who is? You can attack anybody's character to poison the well. I'm not saying it makes any writing more or less legit, as "life lessons" articles are not exactly difficult to write. Just saying the value in it is going to vary from person to person, but to say it's bad because it's written by someone you can criticize is kinda bullshit.

sp3000

2008: Northeast of Brazil ( Carnaval), Canary Islands, Slovakia, Nevada ( Burning Man), San Francisco, Buenos Aires

Hahaha. What a joke. This guy has seen almost nothing and he talks like he's seen the world. I love how he's listing individual cities in France and actually thinks that he's experienced a vastly different culture. Also the fact he went to Nevada just for Burning Man just shows you what kind of close-minded asshat he is.

He hasn't visited a single third world country, completely ignored the entire continent of Africa probably because his hipster self was too scared to go there, and visited nothing east of Turkey. Oh, it seems he also pretends the Middle East doesn't exist. He's systematically ignoring every area that's even moderately poverty stricken. Poor fool has never been to India, China, Vietnam, Japan, Iran or really anything outside of his Euro/Western comfort zone.

If you guys want to actually learn something from a guy who has traveled, I would very much recommend Dark Star Safari, which is about the author's overland journey across from Egypt to South Africa. I guarantee that he has learned more about the world and people than this pretentious guy ever will.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
sp3000 said:
Hahaha. What a joke. This guy has seen almost nothing and he talks like he's seen the world. I love how he's listing individual cities in France and actually thinks that he's experienced a vastly different culture.

He hasn't visited a single third world country, completely ignored the entire continent of Africa probably because his hipster self was too scared to go there, and visited nothing east of Turkey. Oh, it seems he also pretends the Middle East doesn't exist. He's systematically ignoring every area that's even moderately poverty stricken. Poor fool has never been to India, China, Vietnam, Japan, Iran or really anything outside of his Euro/Western comfort zone.

If you guys want to actually learn something from a guy who has traveled, I would high recommend http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Star-Safari-Overland-Cairo/dp/0618134247, which is about the author's overland journey across from Egypt to South Africa. I guarantee that he has learned more about the world and people than this pretentious guy ever will.

well, brazil's a third world country in many people's point of view, but your main point is right

sp3000

Goya said:
well, brazil's a third world country in many people's point of view, but your main point is right

Yeah, and he only went there for the Carnava festival, which pretty much gives away that he barely experienced the non touristy parts of the country.

freddy

Banned
wolfmat said:
Don't kid yourself, you're in it yourself, as is the author of that lessons post, same for Obama, the whore down the street, Julian Assange and Jimmy Wales. The question is who's honest with himself and others.
Derrick01 said:
Something I do is only shallow if I end up believing it is. Otherwise it's just someone else's opinion and good luck convincing me I give a shit about that.

But I'm a Buddhist monk surviving off grasshoppers for sustenance. Sometimes I feel guilty about that too but I would go insane if I didn't allow myself some of lifes' luxuries.

The title should be "29 life lessons for middle-class teenage Westerners"

I have friends who grew up in communist countries that this guy hasn't even visited, and in my opinion their families can give better real life lessons.

For me, reading that list someone would have to had only ever seen a capitalist/consumerist lifestyle to think his words were wise or revolutionary.

Game-Biz

Christ almighty, what's with all the bitching? lol it's not like he's shoving his advice down our throats as if it's gospel.

Koodo

Banned
sp3000 said:
Hahaha. What a joke. This guy has seen almost nothing and he talks like he's seen the world. I love how he's listing individual cities in France and actually thinks that he's experienced a vastly different culture. Also the fact he went to Nevada just for Burning Man just shows you what kind of close-minded asshat he is.

If you guys want to actually learn something from a guy who has traveled, I would very much recommend Dark Star Safari, which is about the author's overland journey across from Egypt to South Africa. I guarantee that he has learned more about the world and people than this pretentious guy ever will.
I had similar thoughts.

Not that I would recommend anyone to be a quasi nomad in these countries (I certainly wouldn't encourage a friend to visit Venezuela, for example), but a sub-30 year old who has only experienced the rosy side of the world is hardly qualified to be giving any life lessons. This one in particular irked me:

16. Take your time

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from living in countries that are more “easy going” it’s that they are way wiser than the rest of us in their pace of life. People and countries that do everything quicker also do it worse. Take it easy and go slowly.

Enjoy every bite of food, walk at a slow pace and take in your surroundings, let the other person finish their side of the conversation while you listen attentively, and stop in the middle of your day, close your eyes or look at nature and become aware of your breathing.

Just no. Had he visited (let alone lived) any of the areas sp3000 mentioned, he'd quickly realized that a faster pace of life is no less worse or better than a more "easy going" culture. It's just different.

Actually, I'd argue a slower pace of life might be worse. It can potentially make the population slow to react to necessary changes, especially in the long run. I painfully learned that lesson living in Caracas in the early 2000s.

At least #7 does seem to show enough self-awareness, but then that doesn't excuse the subtle condescension dripping throughout the list.

UrbanRats

This is the complete list or a partial one?

twofold

I'd love to know how much most of you think this travelling lark costs. I'm living a nomadic lifestyle running a business from my laptop and my monthly living costs range from $500-750 per month. That's not much at all. It's easy to earn $10 an hour minimum doing freelance work (and once you get a bit of experience, you earn way, way more) on the internet so you can work 3 hours a day, 5 days a week and live very comfortably in cheaper countries.

To the people who say they wish they had the money to travel - I worked 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week for months to clear my debts and save enough money to travel. It's not hard.

nomster

twofold said:
It's easy to earn $10 an hour minimum doing freelance work (and once you get a bit of experience, you earn way, way more) on the internet so you can work 3 hours a day, 5 days a week and live very comfortably in cheaper countries.
Writing eHow articles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom