• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

29 life lessons learned in travelling the world for 8 years straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started skimming after the first dozen and it's like: okay, it's written well enough and I get that this guy is just posting his opinion and views but ... really? Why does it always seem like people get all sagely about common sense after they have: traveled the world, listened to something/watched (this occurs with people that watch crap like Zeitgeist and visit websites with words like Truth in the URL) and so on. I'm really not trying to hate (lol I know), but it reminds me of how everyone with Cancer that writes something before they kick it is so profound. OR, to use something more identifiable, that Luciddreamer guy that went viral.

speedpop said:
Great article. Reminds me of Miyamoto Musashi's Dokkodo, which he wrote a week before his death in 1645.

1. Accept everything just the way it is.

2. Do not seek pleasure for its own sake.

3. Do not, under any circumstances, depend on a partial feeling.

4. Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world.

5. Be detached from desire your whole life long.

6. Do not regret what you have done.

7. Never be jealous.

8. Never let yourself be saddened by a separation.

9. Resentment and complaint are appropriate neither for oneself nor others.

10. Do not let yourself be guided by the feeling of lust or love.

11. In all things have no preferences.

12. Be indifferent to where you live.

13. Do not pursue the taste of good food.

14. Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need.

15. Do not act following customary beliefs.

16. Do not collect weapons or practice with weapons beyond what is useful.

17. Do not fear death.

18. Do not seek to possess either goods or fiefs for your old age.

19. Respect Buddha and the gods without counting on their help.

20. You may abandon your own body but you must preserve your honour.

21. Never stray from the Way.

Do not pursue the taste of good food?

Right...

Carcetti

What a pretentious and useless list of fortune cookie wisdom. I guess it might apply if you're a travelling hippie, but come on...

I bet a lot of people in those countries he travelled in would have been pretty happy to get just a little bit of money to feed their kids, for example.

nice collection of generic advice, like something id expect to find in a tumblr post with a completely unrelated image thats slightly out of focus

The_Technomancer said:
Those are...profound? I learned the majority of those in my late teens.

lol seriously. its basic common sense. kind of sad it took him 8 years to realize

effingvic said:
nice collection of generic advice, like something id expect to find in a tumblr post with a completely unrelated black and white image thats slightly out of focus

Fixed

DOO13ER said:
I hate to jump on the derision bandwagon but in all seriousness the only thing that piece is missing is a, "Now forward this to X people and..." at the end.

I for one welcome the extra person on the bandwagon. This guy (OP linked) is a total twat.

Korey

So not only did he waste 8 years of his life to learn these life lessons, but everyone on the internet hates him now, so at best it was a neutral move

Salmonax

DoctorWho said:
They are life lessons, not an achievement list. You don't collect them, you apply them in day-to-day life.
I've platinumed life, so now I pretty much just stick to the multiplayer.

Korey said:
So not only did he waste 8 years of his life to learn these life lessons, but everyone on the internet hates him now, so at best it was a neutral move

No, just us. Most people are reacting as they would if he was a dying cancer patient. If you want to give him a hit (I did and the comments section might as well be full of sheltered suburban moms) you'll see what I mean.

Korey said:

Oh no, not the Internet.

Eight years of traveling around the world is certainly not a waste, even if he didn't learn anything new about life.

9UsPl.png

Dresden

ManDudeChild said:
First valid piece of true wisdom that isn't as cookie cutter as the OP link.
That's pretty cookie cutter.

Best advice I've ever gotten in life was that I should get a haircut and start shaving more, anyways.

cdyhybrid

Some good stuff in there but he gets kinda preachy at points. Like the one point about more money will not make you happy. What if you're living paycheck to paycheck and have to worry about being able to keep gas in the tank or pay the rent? Does he honestly think an extra $500 per month wouldn't make that person more happy and able to enjoy life?

Lots of people are 'told' lots of things. Few people understand what they're told.
True, and completely unrelated to my criticism.

Travel broadens the mind. Cliché but 100% true.
I find travel makes people think they have a broader mind, but they're still the same idiots they left as.

Id say he earns respect for challenge and shaking his beliefs and understanding by traveling. So yes, its an admirable position to dispense information. Not about the world but about himself.
Every charlatan in the world likes to make him/herself look like someone who overcomes personal belief challenges to "accept who they are". It doesn't mean anything.

So this eight year trip was done entirely for free? Even if he didn't pay for it himself, money, lots of money, changed hands in order for him to learn this particular life lesson. He needs to realize that.
Hey man, stop thinking and just be inspired. My wife and I have $3000 saved up for a trip to India - one day, we'll get there.

Maybe he's chosen not to have children. I mean, from an environmental perspective, it's the best thing you could ever do.
Unless you will produce children of high quality. Then you deprive the future.

Some good stuff in there but he gets kinda preachy at points. Like the one point about more money will not make you happy. What if you're living paycheck to paycheck and have to worry about being able to keep gas in the tank or pay the rent? Does he honestly think an extra $500 per month wouldn't make that person more happy and able to enjoy life?
My wife and I don't have children yet because we can't afford them. The author probably doesn't have the wit to think about providing for children, though. He's too busy having his adventure.

Ancient philosophy tells us that it's perfectly fine to have vapid desires to own things as long as your desire for possessions doesn't outrun your ability to get them. And that it's often easier and preferable to control your desire.

lol what a prick telling others whether they're living their lives right or not, he's obviously living his life wrong

I'm seeing a lot of people who say that they realize the life lessons; that he's stupid for traveling for eight years and it took him that long to realize them, but how many of you can honestly say you follow them all? How many of you that realize these "life lessons", actually apply them?

Not to say that all of what this guy is saying is profound, a lot of it is borrowed from some long running cliches, but that doesn't make them any less true.

demosthenes said:
I agree w/ some of his points (the 'life lessons' that you could get without traveling for 8 years) but I'll but this one irked me:

I agree with that one 100%. My mom is that way, so I decided to be the opposite. I'm always throwing things away and made a decision years ago to "travel light" throughout life. It gives a whole new sense of freedom knowing I don't have all these "things" weighing my down and dictating the choices I make.

DoctorWho said:
So this eight year trip was done entirely for free? Even if he didn't pay for it himself, money, lots of money, changed hands in order for him to learn this particular life lesson. He needs to realize that.

The point he was making totally went over your head didn't it?

Love = free
Friends = free
Contentment = free
Happiness = free

You don't need a big mortgage, a luxury car, expensive jewels, and fine dining to be happy.

Fuck this guy. I love TV.

Some interesting advice. Still I love TV, and don't think you have to keep moving and be active to enjoy life. TV can offer great stories themes and lessons and be very engaging. So yeah, bastard.

bdizzle said:
The point he was making totally went over your head didn't it?

Love = free
Friends = free
Contentment = free
Happiness = free

You don't need a big mortgage, a luxury car, expensive jewels, and fine dining to be happy.

9. More money will NEVER solve your problems

As long as you are not living in the street or going hungry, then you do not “need” more money. When you spend enough time with people who are actually living on next to nothing, but having a full life, then you will truly understand this. Everything that is wonderful about life doesn’t cost a penny, and the rest is way cheaper than you think it is.

We've gone through this debate already but there are situations in which More Money will most certainly solve your problems. I've seen it and experienced it first hand.

You don't need it for love and happiness, but it sure as hell will help you get out of a tough situation. Rest of his list is fine.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Your Excellency said:
LOL. Absolutely terrible list. Respect the flying Buddha monster!
You have to remember that much of the list was written when Japan was isolated; heck they didn't even "colonize" Hokkaido at that time. His line aimed at Buddha is more of a religious thing; don't rely upon deities to help you through your life. Has he been a European/Middle Eastern stating that toward God or Jesus or Allah, he would've been killed on the spot. Even now we still see people praying to an ominous and supreme being or referencing a book supposedly written in the words of that said being because it's supposed to help them get through life.

It probably also helps in Musashi's case when you're an individual who still has a profound effect on various professionals centuries after your death - even though the only thing Musashi ever "accomplished" was to pick up a sword and think. You know things are nuts when politicians and generals have your 400 year old book up on a shelf alongside Sun Tzu's Art of War.

DoctorWho said:
Do not pursue the taste of good food?

Right...
I somewhat agree, good food is what makes me feel nice at the end of the day. In Musashi's case, a warrior who pursued nothing but the mastering of "the Way", a simple bowl of rice with a few pickled onions would have been enough to provide enough protein to his body to continue to improve on his imperfections. Considering the circumstances of when it was written, I can let that one slide.

Spartacus

I like his site, his tips aren't really new for me, still cool stories.

I hate all the cynicism here, most people come over as jealous, everybody can learn something from everybody, whats bad about sharing your experiences?

Superimposer said:
Perhaps so, but you get the impression that this person is only giving this advice to show off that they know more about life than you or something. This is stuff that people mostly need to learn themselves for it to stick, you can't just read this and change your life philosophy realistically.
The only advice he mentions people should follow is the advice given in the baz luhrmann song, otherwise he's just sharing personal revelations.

Damn there are some bitter haters here. LOL. He's going out, living life on his own terms, I respect that. May not agree with everything. But all in all, he's happy. If you can TRULY say the same, then good on you. Keep doing exactly what you're doing

But if you're hating on this guy while feeling unfulfilled in life....I'd say you're jealous.

Blair

Banned
TVs encourage people to be antisocial. The only TVs you should be watching are someone else’s - go to your friend’s house to share a series you like if you must, or go to the bar with your mates to watch sports. Your life will not be enriched by sitting at home watching a screen with zero interactivity to it.

What a fucking dunce.

Attenborough's documentries shits all over this idiot and his smug lessons.

Solid advice. It may seem like common sense, but I've learned there's a difference between knowing a life lesson and successfully applying it to a situation. Then again, I'm likely just not as well adjusted as some of you.

That said, I wouldn't mind packing it all up and go traveling for about 6 months. The links to vagabonding seem intriguing (though I always chuckle at the thought of buying a book about saving money), and will likely be something I seriously consider once I can get my student loans under control.

I would totally do what this man did... if I didn't have two parents and a sibling to support. : /

That said, I rather dig his advice, and I do agree about possessions. That said, moderation in everything. It is nice to enjoy some things, as long as they are not all you enjoy.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
MaddenNFL64 said:
Good advice. But the dude is living a nomads life, I don't think he could hack standing still & dealing with shit on a day to day basis anymore.

Who says humans should stay in one place and rot away in the same job day to day, i for one respect the man and could only dream of living the life he has lived.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
spiderman123 said:
Eight years.

That’s 416 weeks, or almost 3,000 days.

This is the amount of time that I have not had a fixed home; moving to a new country, culture and language every few months and taking absolutely everything I own with me. It has been a significant percentage of my life, and it’s still long from over.

For some reason this article made me think of the ending to Pulp Fiction:

Vincent: You serious? You're really thinking about quitting?
Jules: The life?
Vincent: Yeah.
Jules: Most definitely.
Vincent: Oh, fuck. What'cha gonna do, man?
Jules: Well, that's what I've been sitting here contemplating. First, I'm going to deliver this case to Marcellus, then, basically, I'm just going to walk the Earth.
Vincent: What'cha mean, "walk the earth"?
Jules: You know, like Caine in Kung Fu: walk from place to place, meet people, get into adventures.
Vincent: And how long do you intend to walk the earth?
Jules: Until God puts me where he wants me to be.
Vincent: And what if he don't do that?
Jules: If it takes forever, then I'll walk forever.
Vincent: So you decided to be a bum?
Jules: I'll just be Jules, Vincent; no more, no less.
Vincent: Let me ask you something, when did you make this decision? When you were sitting there eating that muffin?
Jules: Yeah, I was sitting here, eating my muffin and drinking my coffee, when I had what alcoholics refer to as a moment of clarity.
Vincent: [pauses, looking annoyed] Fuck. To be continued.

DoctorWho said:
We've gone through this debate already but there are situations in which More Money will most certainly solve your problems. I've seen it and experienced it first hand.

You don't need it for love and happiness, but it sure as hell will help you get out of a tough situation. Rest of his list is fine.

This is what you bolded:

Everything that is wonderful about life doesn’t cost a penny, and the rest is way cheaper than you think it is.

The best parts of life is free. Love, happiness, family, friends, etc. Once you have the basics met of food shelter, clothing, and safety, everything else is gravy.

My family is Jamaican and the one thing I've noticed is that even though there's people there who are dirt poor, they're generally happier and more content with life than some of my US friends with tons of more money.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
brucewaynegretzky said:
There's a lot of what he's saying that just ignores certain goals people might have, especially career goals.
He is saying to enjoy the ride and not assume getting something that will take 10 years will be what makes you happier.

entremet

bdizzle said:
This is what you bolded:

The best parts of life is free. Love, happiness, family, friends, etc. Once you have the basics met of food shelter, clothing, and safety, everything else is gravy.

My family is Jamaican and the one thing I've noticed is that even though there's people there who are dirt poor, they're generally happier and more content with life than some of my US friends with tons of more money.
I noticed this when I visited Latin American for a summer. So many happy people. Family is biggie, whereas in the US we uphold rugged individualism, while we remain lonely and more miserable in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom