• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

29 life lessons learned in travelling the world for 8 years straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spokker

Ended up getting banned from posting comments on his site after I asked about taxes and legal right to work. He left my first comment up, and replied to it by saying I broke one of his 29 rules or life lessons or whatever, even though I am not bound by his rules and don't care about them.

Perhaps this guy really is an arrogant twat.

You come up with most of that when you travel, and the rest when you do what it is you want to do.

The TV comment bugs me, mostly because my life, interests, and work revolves around the visual. I get just as much joy seeing the creations of the best of others through film and TV as travelling. The value is in the eye of the beholder. If you take great pleasure travelling anything else not travelling is going to suck.

Wait until you have a child. Then shit gets real and carving out what you want to do gets way harder.

TV for me hasn't been a void. It's been a window to a better understanding of the universe and the world. I just avoid the vapid shit most of the time.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Nothing new in there.

Reads like self-glorification. I bet that like everyone else, the guy doesn't follow what he preaches.

Everyone already knows the stuff mentioned by this guy, we just rarely speak about it other than to ourselves.

Arthrus

I think a lot of his tips are short-sighted. They don't really work for introverted people, or people with unusual interests who can't relate to most of the general public. Or people who live in boring places like Oshawa, where the internet is often more exciting than anything within 15km.

That said, I do like some of his points. I agree that even if you like to be alone most of the time, some interaction with other people does a lot of good. Much like getting a little sunlight every now and then.

george_us

cuevas said:
What he learned in 8 years around the world is what most people learn in any 8 years of their life.
Eh a lot of people, at least in the US, don't learn this until they're 40 and trapped in a shitty marriage with thousands of dollars in consumer debt.

Once I pay off my student loans I'd love to travel for a little while.

Brofist

Ether_Snake said:
Nothing new in there.

Reads like self-glorification. I bet that like everyone else, the guy doesn't follow what he preaches.

Everyone already knows the stuff mentioned by this guy, we just rarely speak about it other than to ourselves.

Not that I agree with the advice given fully, but sometimes the best advice IS the obvious in your face stuff. Because that is typically what most people overlook.

As for the herp derp he had money to travel the world people, are you really that stupid?

.GqueB.

Banned
Terrible, obvious lessons. He traveled the world and THATS what he learned. And why did he have to travel the world to learn this stuff? I can learn this crap in Brooklyn NY quite easily sitting on my ass. I expected a more practical list.

"While in Baltimore, dont scream OMAR CREEPIN in an attempt to make a relate-able joke. They dont seem to like that very much."

"Just because your bowl is made of bread doesnt mean you have to eat it. You wont notice until the end what you just did to yourself."

"Dont pay full price for anything in Egypt... ever."

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Not a single one of those comments surprised me, and most of them are common sense. I'm 22, and have grown up in Missouri and California and know that from just my day-to-day life.

And somethings I vehemently disagree with. Possessions can add greatness and self-satisfaction to your life, the television can be a window into another world, culture, or train of though, and money can CERTAINLY make life much, much easier and thus more enjoyable.

Nix

Banned
Arthrus said:
I think a lot of his tips are short-sighted. They don't really work for introverted people, or people with unusual interests who can't relate to most of the general public. Or people who live in boring places like Oshawa, where the internet is often more exciting than anything within 15km.

That said, I do like some of his points. I agree that even if you like to be alone most of the time, some interaction with other people does a lot of good. Much like getting a little sunlight every now and then.

What are you insinuating...

Pedophiles? Fetish lovers?

Air

Banned
I think a person who lives a moderate, introspective life would have known this in a fraction of the time. His list is ok though, aside from some obvious contradictions.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
PS3GamerKyle said:
that's not necessarily a bad thing...
True. But the lessons I would've expected are far more practical. Like "don't go to Magdeburg if your skin is brown" or something. I don't know, he sounds so unspecific. It's sorta unusual when I compare it to things other travelling people tell me.
Especially since he's stating obvious (and overly corny) truisms.

Like, "you don't need money to become happy". Yeah, well, that is unless you're sick or have to support a family or whatever, then it's necessary for being able to achieve happiness.

Generally speaking, life lessons that are so unspecific are mostly nonsense. Like "don't do evil". No shit, son. But who said that the people doing evil things perceive them as evil? Oh, what is that? "I know evil when I see it"? Well, we'll see what you'll do once you're there, shall we?

Some things he says are of course important to acknowledge. Like number 3. Most people don't, and thus end up being unhappy a lot of the time. So I don't want to dismiss it all, of course not. But I'm not content with it overall, and would have expected completely different lessons that are more related to the activity.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Spokker said:
Ended up getting banned from posting comments on his site after I asked about taxes and legal right to work. He left my first comment up, and replied to it by saying I broke one of his 29 rules or life lessons or whatever, even though I am not bound by his rules and don't care about them.

I actually wondered about this as well. He worked and all on his travels, but I never got the impression his travels around the world were all on the up and up. This is separate from my feelings no matter what they be about his list.

.GqueB. said:
Terrible, obvious lessons. He traveled the world and THATS what he learned. And why did he have to travel the world to learn this stuff? I can learn this crap in Brooklyn NY quite easily sitting on my ass. I expected a more practical list.

"While in Baltimore, dont scream OMAR CREEPIN in an attempt to make a relate-able joke. They dont seem to like that very much."

"Just because your bowl is made of bread doesnt mean you have to eat it. You wont notice until the end what you just did to yourself."

"Dont pay full price for anything in Egypt... ever."

"Never go full retard."

Actually, fuck this advice.

If I want to spend too much time on the internet, watch too much TV, believe I'm destined for greatness, be an introvert, just generally BE MYSELF, I will. I don't want to go to parties and say "Hi" to everyone. I'm not that type of person and I don't think most people are.

Here's a piece of advice: If you can be happy with who you truly are, and feel comfortable being yourself, you will be much happier than this guy ever will. If you're not happy with your life, definitely make a change. I for one am content and I'm hoping that my upcoming start at college will be the best year of my life.

The only really good advice is to protect your skin. That shit's important.

Spokker

Brettison said:
I actually wondered about this as well. He worked and all on his travels, but I never got the impression his travels around the world were all on the up and up. This is separate from my feelings no matter what they be about his list.
In another post he calls the passport a worthless piece of paper or something similar. Not surprised if he was down on paying taxes and getting the proper work visa.

Yasae

Banned
demosthenes said:
I agree w/ some of his points (the 'life lessons' that you could get without traveling for 8 years) but I'll but this one irked me:
He justifies it poorly, but what exactly is so great about possessions?

18. Trying to be cool or following trends is for mindless sheep

Peer pressure is for people who are afraid of their individuality. Stand up for yourself, and go against the flow if that’s what you feel is best. What’s cool now will be frozen over in a few years.
This advice doesn't seem very thought out. It's easy to tell people to be themselves, but figuring out how to do so and explaining how they would benefit from doing so is a completely different story.

A lot of teenagers are more concerned about not being left out, so being told they should leave themselves out is all kinds of not going to work.

I believe though, that people will naturally start to figure out what works best for them, and also sometimes old trends and interests manage to have staying power and actually become a unique trait for an individual that sticks with it while others move on.

Also, I myself have strived not to get sucked into peer pressure, trends, school spirit, or generally high school stuff while I was in high school, and the result is that there is now a trend called "hipsters" that I unintentionally fall under. So much for individuality! At least I fought to dress how I felt most comfortable though.

His life advice is mostly composed of cliches, common sense, fortune cookie esque aphorisms, and leftover high school angst. I seriously can't take most of it seriously. It's very reminiscent of those inspirational sayings that random girls post on facebook like, "Live. Laugh. Learn. Love."

TheExodu5

Banned
Different people have different priorities. I enjoy entertainment, I enjoy technology, I enjoy having a tightly nit group of friends among other things. For someone to tell me I'm living my life wrong irks me.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Yasae said:
He justifies it poorly, but what exactly is so great about possessions?

well, i mean, mostly possessions that facilitate human interaction are the ones that can be very useful. like, if i enjoy making pizza with my friends and talking, having a nice brick oven in my backyard and a pleasant place to sit is a nice thing to possess. as opposed to shedding my possessions, and having nowhere to do those things. i guess i would have lots of money to go stay in a hostel by myself though.

He also seems like one of those types of people that has an agenda toward introverted people. If you're not naturally outgoing, forcing yourself to become a social butterfly isn't going to magically make you happy.

piddledy

David Foster Wallace gave a great commencement speech about "the value of the totally obvious," which is how I think some people are describing the OP's life lessons. (Link. Video Link.)

I highly recommend it!

Yasae

Banned
beelzebozo said:
well, i mean, mostly possessions that facilitate human interaction are the ones that can be very useful. like, if i enjoy making pizza with my friends and talking, having a nice brick oven in my backyard and a pleasant place to sit is a nice thing to possess. as opposed to shedding my possessions, and having nowhere to do those things. i guess i would have lots of money to go stay in a hostel by myself though.
That makes it nice, not something of great importance. The interaction is what's of great importance.

Also: shedding your possessions doesn't necessarily mean being homeless. Even monks have a roof over their heads.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
piddledy said:
David Foster Wallace gave a great commencement speech about "the value of the totally obvious," which is how I think some people are describing the OP's life lessons. (Link. Video Link.)

I highly recommend it!
There's a difference between critical thinking and heckling.

kevm3

He has some nice lessons like don't defer your happiness or think that some singular accomplishment will send your life into a state of eternal bliss. I also agree that not all of life, if not the majority of it is not in 'textbooks' or books in generals. Books have a ton of ideas, since that's what they essentially are... human thought put to page. Experiencing is very important to understanding, if not crucial. And I also agree that it helps to get outside your bubble and see why people think the way they do.

On the other hand, what I do find annoying is that attitude of, "if you don't travel, you're truly missing out on life and you're not really 'experiencing' the world." If you want to take a trip just to enjoy yourself, cool, but to pen it up to some mystical journey where people are having their eyes peeled back to a truly grander understanding of reality, I just think, "Yeah, whatever." These first-world nomads are not really 'experiencing' the world either.

When it comes down to it, if everyone pretty much wants the same things in life, I don't personally see the huge 'necessity' of traveling to learn about that. People pretty much work to procure their needs, and past that, they live their life, most in an attempt to find happiness, and you'll find that people attempt to do that in vastly different ways.

I find it a bit strange that people who have travelled to a variety of different places for a short time think they have really 'experienced' all these different cultures. It's more like you've briefly 'sampled' them. They've hit a couple of nice tourist destinations where people put on shows for the guests, maybe chilled with a few locals or family, seen a few strange traditions, and now they're cultural experts.

No way you can 'experience' or gain a significant understanding of a culture in a couple of weeks. You can sit and let your jaw hit the floor at some of their oddities that clash with your accustomed way of living, but that's not really understanding or really experiencing. Understanding takes living with them for a prolonged period of time and seeing WHY their culture is the way it is, how it was formed, and basically just putting yourself in their shoes for a while.

Visiting a place for a week or a month is pretty much like taking a human zoo trip and looking at all the odd customs and habits that those crazy people do and then moving on to the next exhibit. Just as you're not going to understand the way an animal really lives by staring at it in a cage for a few minutes, you're not going to really 'experience' a culture by chilling there for a couple of two weeks.

Fuck this hippie. Get a job.

HEY MAN EVERYTHING'S COOL JUST BE CHILL. DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY!

Easy to do when you can wander around aimlessly for 8 years and not have to worry about paying bills.

Blackface

Banned
I like how he condemns peer pressures and doing as others tell you to.

Then writes a huge blog post telling you what to do with your life.

LProtag

Maybe you can do this in Europe because, you know, you don't have to worry about health care or anything.

I sure as hell can't do this without dying probably.

ajf009

they're mostly common sense words of advice, and i agree with those saying he seems like a pompous douche in the way he says them

sp3000

I've traveled to 9 different countries at this point, but this guy reeks of hipster dumbass advice. I like how he says to be open to other people's views and then essentially dismisses books as learning experiences.

It's obvious he's fairly well off and has never had to worry about financial wealth. No honest man can get an engineering degree and then piss off the next 8 years of his life without someone paying the bills.

I spent two months posted in each country, which was not nearly enough time to fully experience the culture, but it's clear this guy thinks he's seen the world because he stayed at a place for few weeks.

It's very easy to distinguish the guys who have traveled and experienced the best and worst of what the world has to offer, and those who have merely sampled whatever seemed touristy and cheap and life affirming at any given time.

sp3000 said:
I've traveled to 9 different countries at this point, but this guy reeks of hipster dumbass advice. I like how he says to be open to other people's views and then essentially dismisses books as learning experiences.

It's obvious he's fairly well off and has never had to worry about financial wealth. No honest man can get an engineering degree and then piss off the next 8 years of his life without someone paying the bills.

I spent two months posted in each country, which was not nearly enough time to fully experience the culture, but it's clear this guy thinks he's seen the world because he stayed at a place for few weeks.

It's very easy to distinguish the guys who have traveled and experienced the best and worst of what the world has to offer, and those who have merely sampled whatever seemed touristy and cheap and life affirming at any given time.

Agreed

kevm3 said:
He has some nice lessons like don't defer your happiness or think that some singular accomplishment will send your life into a state of eternal bliss. I also agree that not all of life, if not the majority of it is not in 'textbooks' or books in generals. Books have a ton of ideas, since that's what they essentially are... human thought put to page. Experiencing is very important to understanding, if not crucial. And I also agree that it helps to get outside your bubble and see why people think the way they do.

On the other hand, what I do find annoying is that attitude of, "if you don't travel, you're truly missing out on life and you're not really 'experiencing' the world." If you want to take a trip just to enjoy yourself, cool, but to pen it up to some mystical journey where people are having their eyes peeled back to a truly grander understanding of reality, I just think, "Yeah, whatever." These first-world nomads are not really 'experiencing' the world either.

When it comes down to it, if everyone pretty much wants the same things in life, I don't personally see the huge 'necessity' of traveling to learn about that. People pretty much work to procure their needs, and past that, they live their life, most in an attempt to find happiness, and you'll find that people attempt to do that in vastly different ways.

I find it a bit strange that people who have travelled to a variety of different places for a short time think they have really 'experienced' all these different cultures. It's more like you've briefly 'sampled' them. They've hit a couple of nice tourist destinations where people put on shows for the guests, maybe chilled with a few locals or family, seen a few strange traditions, and now they're cultural experts.

No way you can 'experience' or gain a significant understanding of a culture in a couple of weeks. You can sit and let your jaw hit the floor at some of their oddities that clash with your accustomed way of living, but that's not really understanding or really experiencing. Understanding takes living with them for a prolonged period of time and seeing WHY their culture is the way it is, how it was formed, and basically just putting yourself in their shoes for a while.

Visiting a place for a week or a month is pretty much like taking a human zoo trip and looking at all the odd customs and habits that those crazy people do and then moving on to the next exhibit. Just as you're not going to understand the way an animal really lives by staring at it in a cage for a few minutes, you're not going to really 'experience' a culture by chilling there for a couple of two weeks.

great post

LProtag

Also as someone currently pining for a life in the realm of academia I don't know how he completely disregards education and books as something that don't give the full picture of life, or even hinder it in his opinion. There's a lot to learn from books. Those of us who can't travel like he does, or even people like him who do travel can learn plenty from reading both fiction and non-fiction. A book really lets you step into the mindset of another person. When you're traveling you can get an idea of what it's like to live as a different person in a different culture experiencing different events, yet to read about someone's experience you can get an even fuller picture. I'm not saying that books hold the key to the human condition (though on second though...) but they help you learn as much as traveling does. Combine the two and you're even more well rounded of a person. Also, without sounding too cheesy and cliche, books allow you to explore people's minds when they craft worlds that are impossible for us to travel to.

DeathNote said:
He is saying to enjoy the ride and not assume getting something that will take 10 years will be what makes you happier.

What does he know? He hasn't spent a decade trying to perfect anything. When he actually accomplishes something he can start giving people advice on goals.

Yea forget money! Screw normal life! I want to travel!

*checks for a plane ticket to somewhere cool*

Shit... I can't afford that

*gets a job to afford it*

Gah, this job sucks

*goes to school to get a job I like*

WELL shit now I got all this debt and I gotta work it off

*works 60 hours a week to pay off debt*

AHHHHH!!! GODDAMIT HIPPY BULLSHIT!

-_-

Spokker said:

He probably is.

When a man thinks he has a superior way of living then the superior attitude generally isn't to far behind.

Later on in life he'll be replacing his 29 rules with just 1 simple one, come across them type enough times in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom