• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2nd Mario Strikers Charged GAF World Cup

Koren

MasterMFauli said:
argh, Koren, what was that xD
i invited you, then some error, then try to invite you again, but then you´re not available...could we play now`?^^
Of course... I've seen your post too late, but in 3 minutes, I'll be available and I'll wait. Sorry

Haunted

MasterMFauli said:
LOL, sorry, Haunted^^
But we already played, didnt we? :p
no problem at all. I saw that Drake and Koren were online and thought you were waiting for a Cup match to happen. :p

Cool to see several GAFfers on at once right now - I'm waiting in the lobby for Dash's match but keep playing for a bit afterwards. :D

Woah, nice game, Koren.
Though you didnt score in the first round, nice comeback in the 2nd...and you shot against the goal-border, my luck.

MasterMFauli: 2 (5) - Koren: 0 (2)

Koren

MasterMFauli 2 (5) - Koren 0 (2)

One more loss for me T_T

Thanks, MMF, you're a really good defender...

To the others : I'm unavailable for a couple of minutes, I've had a cramp in the leg during the match, I had to play most of it upright, not very practical :lol I'm back in 5-10 minutes...

Dash, where did you disappear to`? XD

Saw you onlone, wanted to invite you, but you where away...are ya a ghost? :p
Edit
Nevermind, there you are^^

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
Haunted don't die on me mate!:lol

Anyway, it seems you lose the connection as soon as you accept...
:lol I'm... trying... to.. hang... on...

Restarted the Wii just now. Ranked matches work fine, but I've had similar problems with max earlier today. >_< Hope it works now.

Koren said:
To the others : I'm unavailable for a couple of minutes, I've had a cramp in the leg during the match, I had to play most of it upright, not very practical :lol I'm back in 5-10 minutes...
:lol :lol Always with those hilarious stories. You're a good man, Koren. edit: While you lost in the Cup, your ranked matches stat is great: 9-2 - well done. :)

edit: Terribly sorry, Koren - I'm waiting for Dash and MFauli to finish their match. ^_^ (I need to play my last Cup match against Dash) Stop asking me! I feel terrible denying the request - I'm literally apologising to my TV right now. :lol

Koren

Haunted One said:
:lol :lol Always with those hilarious stories.
For real ? :lol

Haunted One said:
edit: While you lost in the Cup, your ranked matches stat is great: 9-2 - well done. :)
Yes (and 4 deco actually), but it's easier because when you have few matches played, you get a level-1 goalkeeper in front of you. I can score quite easily on this level, but starting 3, it's a bit more difficult for me, especially against good defenders.

I'm back...

Haha, i loved this match. Great one, Dash Kappei, gave me a lot of trouble ^^
Your goal in the first round...1 second before the end of the round XD

MasterMFauli: 2 (5) - Dash Kappei: 1 (1)

Edit: Maxmars, can we play now or in a few minutes or is your "TV-time" over? :p

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dash 1 (1) - MMF 2 (5)

Good matches, but the last minute of the third match was ****ing unplayable damn Nintendo still hasn't sorted out shit... it was like a stopmotion match :lol

EDIT:
Also: Wow MMF, your Hammerkoopa was a damn bitch to pass, and you managed to score a first second goal in both matches with those air pass and then volley striking... very very good!

Dash Kappei

MasterMFauli said:
Haha, i loved this match. Great one, Dash Kappei, gave me a lot of trouble ^^
Your goal in the first round...1 second before the end of the round XD

MasterMFauli: 2 (5) - Dash Kappei: 1 (1)

^__^

LOL, yeah I have to admit I made quite a jump from the couch on that last second score :lol

EDIT:
Haunted
I don't know what to do here, it seems we can't play together... why is that???
I mean, we played before didn't we? So what the ****...

Maybe if you invite me?

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
^__^

LOL, yeah I have to admit I made quite a jump from the couch on that last second score :lol

EDIT:
Haunted
I don't know what to do here, it seems we can't play together... why is that???
I mean, we played before didn't we? So what the ****...
no idea - I'll try to invite you once more - then I'll delete and re-add you to my friends list. Hope it works then.

I'd like to keep trying, (worked with max the third time we've tried, I think) if it's not too problematic for you. Sorry. ;_;

Dash Kappei

Haunted One said:
no idea - I'll try to invite you once more

No luck -__-

Let's try to delete and add again the friend codes...
also let's keep in touch here if it doesn't work, ok?

Koren

Dash Kappei said:
Good matches, but the last minute of the third match was ****ing unplayable damn Nintendo still hasn't sorted out shit... it was like a stopmotion match :lol
That's unfortunate, and they have probably made mistakes in the game network code, but I doubt they can still do something against this (is game patch possible ?) It's not a server problem, because as far as I can tell looking at logs, Wiis are like DS, peer-to-peer games as soon as the matchmaking is done.

That may be the reason Haunted One and Dash Kappei have troubles, by the way (they can both join Nintendo servers, but not each others for some strange reasons).

Maybe you should try a direct ping/traceroute to see what happens between your networks ?

Edit : Both are now occupied ? Did it work ? More at eleven... err... more like midnight, in fact ;)

Dash Kappei said:
and you managed to score a first second goal in both matches with those air pass and then volley striking... very very good!
Seems like he loves playing volley striking... and rude defence :)

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
No luck -__-

Let's try to delete and add again the friend codes...
also let's keep in touch here if it doesn't work, ok?
yay, it worked.... or did it? what's going on with you? :lol

Dash Kappei

Haunted, I have a 4 stars connection and still my players won't move and your do it like in a Ray Harryhausen movie... let's try again, I'll drop out.

EDIT
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
Haunted, I have a 4 stars connection and still my players won't move and your do it like in a Ray Harryhausen movie... let's try again, I'll drop out.
It worked fine for me. :/ I've dropped out now. (and you made me google Ray Harryhausen :lol )

Dash Kappei

Huntie, dunno, what do you wanna do? It keeps saying you declined your invite once I accept it, but it's obvious it depends on Nintendo WiFi's side, not ours. I mean, we can still try a couple of time but then if it still doesn't work maybe we'll have besster luck tomorrow or something... as you prefer.

I'll try to invite you once more.

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
Huntie, dunno, what do you wanna do? It keeps saying you declined your invite once I accept it, but it's obvious it depends on Nintendo WiFi's side, not ours. I mean, we can still try a couple of time but then if it still doesn't work maybe we'll have besster luck tomorrow or something... as you prefer.

I'll try to invite you once more.
man, what a bummer. :( It really looks like we won't be able to play today. ;_;

*sigh* Alright, should we try again tomorrow? I'm going to play some ranked matches to vent my frustration on complete strangers.

Dash Kappei

Haunted One said:
man, what a bummer. :( It really looks like we won't be able to play today. ;_;

*sigh* Alright, should we try again tomorrow? I'm going to play some ranked matches to vent my frustration on complete strangers.

Yep :-/

Let's call it for tonight... what a bummer, really

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
Yep :-/

Let's call it for tonight... what a bummer, really
so, tomorrow? What time?

man, I literally found a ranked match in seconds and it started playing right away. Damn those ranked matches! The friendlies have to work properly, Nintendo!

edit: If for any reason we don't manage to play our Cup game in time, consider it my loss of course.

edit edit: The Group Tables have been updated with today's results!

Dash Kappei

Haunted One said:
so, tomorrow? What time?

man, I literally found a ranked match in seconds and it started playing right away. Damn those ranked matches! The friendlies have to work properly, Nintendo!

edit: If for any reason we don't manage to play our Cup game in time, consider it my loss of course.

Your loss?
Why?????????? It's not like it is your fault, obviously a different matter is for those who almost never showed up to play. In those cases we already agreed in the rules that they're taking a 0-3 = 0-3 defeat, but its definitely not your case, so we'll work something out.

I'll try to be here tomorrow after work, around 19:30 german time... could that be ok for you?

Koren said:
Seems like he loves playing volley striking... and rude defence :)

Hey, that´s my whole tactic XD
I really got in trouble in my matchs against Dash, when he blocked my passes in the first round ^^
Then i changed to single-attacks, using my hammer brother and his special-move :p

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
Your loss?
Why?????????? It's not like it is your fault, obviously a different matter is for those who almost never showed up to play. In those cases we already agreed in the rules that they're taking a 0-3 = 0-3 defeat, but its definitely not your case, so we'll work something out.

I'll try to be here tomorrow after work, around 19:30 german time... could that be ok for you?
:) Thanks for your fairness. I'm sure we'll work something out to play the match anyway. :D Tomorrow - 19:30!

Dash Kappei

Koren said:
Edit : Both are now occupied ? Did it work ? More at eleven... err... more like midnight, in fact ;)

LOL

I wish! :-/

Btw, so you think it's Level Games' mess, do you?

Damn, a patch seems veeeeeeery unlikely

Dash Kappei

MasterMFauli said:
Hey, that´s my whole tactic XD
I really got in trouble in my matchs against Dash, when he blocked my passes in the first round ^^
Then i changed to single-attacks, using my hammer brother and his special-move :p

Yep, you really won me there... also you're a great defender, but I'm training to get better myself and little baby steps by baby steps I'd say it's working.

One thing I'd wish to improve is to chain high passes like you do, your opponent literally needs to always be one step in front and THEN start thinking at how to play his game...

nli10

Again - I will try to join you tomorrow, work is too hectic these days.

Post times for group B people who I need to play and I will abandon my work and go downstairs to play :D This especially applies to people with no wins yet in group B :lol

maxmars

Koren said:
What do you mean ?? Would you care to explain ?

We were both using haunted formation (more or less).

Managed to play a couple more with haunted, now everyone is in bed, seems like prime time is over. :lol

Hope to see some of you online to play, also because I've got notice that I'll be away most of august (starting from next week), so this is probably last week I can play in the cup, whatever the outcome of this round. The bright side is that we're going to see americans added soon so there should be more people playing when I return.

Swisslink said:
I'm still waiting for Phife Dawg :/ ^^
Well you know it's best for me during the weekends but you were busy reading HP :p.

For anyone in group B, I'm definetly available Saturday and Sunday this week. Saturday from around 12-16 CET and Sunday from around 10-16 CET.

Won't be logged in in Strikers all the time though. So please respond either in the thread or drop me a pm.

Koren

dk_ said:
I see you're online. Game?
Err... I was surprised, but yes... Hell, it was the most one-sided game I played here. Your GK was a real wall.

dk_ 2 (8) - Koren 0 (1)

I will never ever win a match here T_T

maxmars

Koren said:
I will never ever win a match here T_T

I think the problem is that we don't play together enough, I'm sure that with more friendly matches things would be different.

Unfortunately it's already difficult to play cup matches.. But probably a good start would be finding 1-2 people that can routinely play with you so that you can learn their play style and exchange tips here after matches.

Skills would level, sooner or later, and this would also go in the direction of minimizing a negative "feature" of this game, namely the fact that you need to continue training in order to be proficient.

I already know that when I get back at the end of august, I'll have to start almost from zero and I'm not 100% positive I want to spend another week or so being continuously badly beaten by everyone -- it can get frustrating. I can see why people may drop.

For what matters and until I start disappearing, count me in for friendly matches / training, though.

Haunted

maxmars said:
I already know that when I get back at the end of august, I'll have to start almost from zero and I'm not 100% positive I want to spend another week or so being continuously badly beaten by everyone -- it can get frustrating. I can see why people may drop.

For what matters and until I start disappearing, count me in for friendly matches / training, though.
I think they'd need to tweak the items a bit more. I know that you get better items when you're behind (stars and chain chomps only appear when one player is behind by at least 2 or 3 goals), but with a skilled player, you can pretty much avoid giving the opponent any item, negating that feature.

I personally like that the game is skill-based, while retaining the element of luck with these items, but I can see how it can get frustrating to get beaten repeatedly. I admit, I'm going all out on GAF Cup matches ^_^;, but I always try to make the game fun and more suspenseful when playing friendlies.

Once again, a big kudos to the excellent sportsmanship shown by players like Koren, who, although losing many games, still continue to laugh along and not drop out on the rest of us. :)

Koren

Haunted One said:
but with a skilled player, you can pretty much avoid giving the opponent any item, negating that feature.
Charged balls against goalies award one item, it's the best way to get them if your opponent plays carefully, but not really practical, indeed.

Do you know if there's condition to get your special ? I've a trick I'd like to practice (I need two conditions to trigger it, and don't know exactly the best method yet) but nearly never received the items.

Haunted One said:
like Koren, who, although losing many games, still continue to laugh along and not drop out on the rest of us. :)
Many ? All, you mean :D And what could I do besides this ? Actually, playing gaffers is really satisfying, and that's the problem: I'm usually so happy to play you that I'm to stressed to play well.

Besides this I still have troubles with hgh-levels goalies. They often stop my fully-charged shots even with offensive players, and I'm doing a lot of goal horizontal borders. Heck, I even teleported on the horizontal borders with Drybones O_O.

By the way, I've scored a strange goal... at least for the game: the goal-keeper punched the ball, but he was BEHIND its line (and the ball came back in the field).

maxmars

Haunted One said:
I personally like that the game is skill-based, while retaining the element of luck with these items, but I can see how it can get frustrating to get beaten repeatedly.

In that regard, the game is almost perfect. It's like a real life sport. I am truly amazed at how solid the gameplay turned out to be and how much skills influence the end result. Not many games are so well balanced and polished, not even "serious" football games.

Haunted One said:
Once again, a big kudos to the excellent sportsmanship shown by players like Koren, who, although losing many games, still continue to laugh along and not drop out on the rest of us. :)

Indeed.. I wish there was more than just the cup to play for such people, they'd deserve much more than simply being steamrolled in the competition.

Personally I know that if I'll get back to this game when I return home, and I probably will bc the game is so good, it will be more for playing with the people I've had the pleasure of playing a few friendlies (like Koren & you) than for pure competitive play.

Haunted

Koren said:
Do you know if there's condition to get your special ? I've a trick I'd like to practice (I need two conditions to trigger it, and don't know exactly the best method yet) but nearly never received the items.
At first I thought it had to do with who was tackled. So, if you tackled the captain the chance is bigger to get the captain's item. Likewise with shooting a charged shot. Shoot with the captain and the chance to get his item gets higher. But as I played, I couldn't really make a pattern out - it truly seems random. If you're behind in goals, the chance to get a good item, like a star, chain chomp or captain's special is definitely higher, though.

Koren said:
Many ? All, you mean :D And what could I do besides this ? Actually, playing gaffers is really satisfying, and that's the problem: I'm usually so happy to play you that I'm to stressed to play well.
I know I was totally nervous when I played in the finals of the first Cup and when I know that I'm up against a strong player. Just keep it cool, make sure the batteries are recharged and avoid leg cramps. :lol :lol As long as you're having fun, it's all good.

Koren said:
By the way, I've scored a strange goal... at least for the game: the goal-keeper punched the ball, but he was BEHIND its line (and the ball came back in the field).
heh, must've shot the goalie into the goal with a charged shot from a power player before.
Some funky things happen in that game from time to time, though. In the Wastelands arena, I tried a special shot with Dry Bones - the goalie was electrified, I lob the ball over him, it's perfectly poised to land in the goal - just then lightning strikes down and the ball literally stops his flight in mid-air! >_< The goalie caught the ball afterwards.

maxmars said:
In that regard, the game is almost perfect. It's like a real life sport. I am truly amazed at how solid the gameplay turned out to be and how much skills influence the end result. Not many games are so well balanced and polished, not even "serious" football games.
Totally agreed. Next Level games did a fantastic job balancing this game.

Koren

Yes, the game is wonderfully balanced. Still, I would have handled game a bit differently.

Make the opponent GK depending on your win/loss record is a good idea. Still, I would have liked to see an explicit level for opponents (it's a bit hidden), and be able to choose among them. Besides this, a forgetting method would have been better than a plain reset on monday midnight...

Haunted One said:
Some funky things happen in that game from time to time, though. In the Wastelands arena, I tried a special shot with Dry Bones - the goalie was electrified, I lob the ball over him, it's perfectly poised to land in the goal - just then lightning strikes down and the ball literally stops his flight in mid-air! >_< The goalie caught the ball afterwards.
This map is a hit and miss for me... I like it, but inertia gives me headaches when playing against some sidekicks, especially Hammer Bros and Birdo : quick U-turns are impossible, so their defense trick is nearly unstoppable.

But there's a lot of fun things you can do there. First, very few people online seem to have noticed that lightning strikes is a wonderful way to score. Just give the opponent goal keeper the ball just before (light decrease on field before), and keep a sidekick at good distance. Free goal garanteed.

Besides this, balls slide in this field, so strange things happens : I went agains a goalie, he punched me, the ball slided directly in his goal, very slowly, with him running behind, trying to get it...

Koren, even if you lose here, it´s definitely not because you´re weak. You´re not. Though i won against you it felt like a real good match.

Bo130

Does anyone have a list with whom have played against eachother? I don't really have it all covered, and would like to play my final games soon :)

Koren

MasterMFauli: you don't have to protect what's left of my pride ;) I know I'm not playing too badly, I still win 60-70% of ranked match, but I'm still missing something to win against people here. But I don't mind, I still love this game.

But loosing 4-0 4-1 this morning was a bit harsh. That's strange, by the way, I'm frequently getting bad results in the morning, even if I don't find anything different in the way I play. Are people more tired on the evening than I am ? :lol

Bo130 said:
Does anyone have a list with whom have played against eachother? I don't really have it all covered, and would like to play my final games soon :)
I think you have to take two victories to me (I've played everyone besides you and Darktails if I'm not mistaken).

By the way, I haven't seen Darktails for quite a long time ? Are you still nearby ?

Haunted

Bo130 said:
I don't have a list, sorry - I'm just updating the group tables as I go along. I hoped that everyone would take note of his own games. (I'm too lazy to do it for everyone). :lol
fresquito was nice enough to keep a list, but it only covers the first few days....

You should be able to deduce your other opponents from the Group List, though. (you already played 4 games (+ 1 against fresquito), so you need 3 more, Bo - if I had to guess, I'd say against Koren, Darktails and maxmars.)

Remember guys, there are 5 days left to play all your games. The Deadline for results is Sunday, 29th of July, 24:00 CET. We'll decide over unplayed games together on Monday and Tuesday while preparing the playoff rounds.

maxmars

People that still have to play with me:

Bo130
MMF
Dash
Darktails

who's on this evening at about 20:00 Germany / France / Italy time?

Dash Kappei

maxmars said:
People that still have to play with me:

Dash

who's on this evening at about 20:00 Germany / France / Italy time?

I will!

_dk said:

When are you available mate? :)

Haunted, if you want/can we can even play our match earlier than 23:00 or something... just let me know.

Darktails, I've never seen you online mate, are you still playing the Cup?
If you do, just let me know if we can play this evening or PM me...

Ciao!

Dash Kappei

MasterMFauli said:
Koren, even if you lose here, it´s definitely not because you´re weak. You´re not. Though i won against you it felt like a real good match.

Exactly, Koren played some wonderful matches against me... and even if I'm not a very skilled player (far from it) it was incredible how he crushed me 5 - 3, never giving me the slightest chance to touch the ball, after being 2 goals under in just 10 seconds from the kick off...

I'll quote myself what I wrote about nil, 'cause the same is true for Koren:
"is thanks to great guys like you, competing with the right attitude and with such fair play and more important never bailing out of the tournies, that these GAF Cups are so much fun!
Keep on playing, and look at me: I, for one, never won a match until this second Tournament and my training to get better IS to play this competition against you guys... so, even for you hope's not lost yet :)"

Top Bottom