• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2nd Mario Strikers Charged GAF World Cup

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I actually hurt myself by choosing skill level 5 when I configured the game... it totally ruined my "dry bones technique", which I tried multiple tmes during the games and never managed to accomplish. :p

Ah, I was wondering why it didn't work when you tried it with a charged ball. I wasn't taking any chances after that though.

But for skill level 5 Bowser sure went stupidly into the line of fire of my Birdo skillshot :lol .

Koren

Haunted One said:
I wasn't online at all, sorry. My Wii is not even in my apartment at the moment (it should be back on Tuesday, though). The one you played.... he was an impostor!
:lol OK, I'll have to memorize your mii...

Haunted

Well, seeing how fresquito's unable to participate in the Cup (best of luck with the surgery again), I've just shamelessly stolen his hard work and updated the group's scoreboard. :D

I've taken his games out so to better represent the current state of Group A. I hope he'll forgive me for that ;) - needless to say, we all know how good of a player he is and I have no doubts that he would've made the playoffs :)

In any case, now that Group B has also started playing more games (good job, gents!), I've made a scoreboard for them as well. With Drake and tanasten (two of the finalists from the last Cup) entering the cup properly next week, I'm sure we have many more exciting games to look forward to.

*Group Tables are here*

If you notice any accounting mistakes or games I've missed (absolutely possible ^_^;), feel free to point it out. And please make sure to post the results of your games either in CAPS or bold or just make them stand out from the rest of the thread somehow. Helps scouring the thread for results immensely. :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Anyone from Group A wanna play?
I'm not online 'cause I'm playing some Zelda but, if s/b wants to, just drop a post here or a PM and I'll be heading online asap.

I'll F5 this thread every 20 minutes or so.

Koren

Dash Kappei said:
Anyone from Group A wanna play?
I'm not online 'cause I'm playing some Zelda but, if s/b wants to, just drop a post here or a PM and I'll be heading online asap.

I'll F5 this thread every 20 minutes or so.
I'm ready to play if you want to... I'll stay online, so come when you wish...

Dash Kappei

Koren said:
I'm ready to play if you want to... I'll stay online, so come when you wish...

cool, give me 10 minutes I need to dry my hair:lol

Koren I've been online (and I am now) for 15 minutes but can't see you...
maybe we need to add each other again now since I see you still as "connecting"...

Dash Kappei

Koren said:
Damn, Zelda is far more realistic than I knew :lol

LOL!

I'm online mate but.. read above :)

EDIT: I re-added you, I think you need to do the same... my code is
378058 368821

Koren

Dash Kappei said:
LOL!

I'm online mate but.. read above :)

EDIT: I re-added you, I think you need to do the same... my code is
378058 368821
Sorry for the delay, I should have check that you were correctly registered in my friendlist. Should be OK now... (strange bug, by the way)

Koren

Koren 1(9) - Dash Kappei 2 (12)

Thanks, Dash, really nice match... The 1'30-long death match in the second game killed me, though, my third game was horrendous :(

Dash Kappei

Koren said:
Sorry for the delay, I should have check that you were correctly registered in my friendlist. Should be OK now... (strange bug, by the way)

Holy shit you really scared me off with that first match comeback!

My hands are still shaking... :lol

so

Koren (1) - Dash Kappei (2)

5 - 3
3 - 4
1 - 5

(not sure about the first match score though, can you confirm Koren?)
Thanks so much for the fun, very good and tight matches! :)

Koren

Dash Kappei said:
(not sure about the first match score though, can you confirm Koren?)
I've written 5-2 but I may well be wrong... I don't mind which one we keep.

Yeah, I'm still shaking also, but that's because of the second one :) I had a very bad cold start in the first match, so I really wanted to make a comeback. In the third one also, but you defended really well.

Dash Kappei

Koren said:
Koren 1(9) - Dash Kappei 2 (11)

Thanks, Dash, really nice match... The 1'30-long death match in the second game killed me, though, my third game was horrendous :(

yeah, with the first match you crushed my spirit (You sneaky... lol, there I was winning easily 2 - 0 and thinking "this may be an easy one!" and then you schooled me HARD :lol

It was nerve wrecking for me as well that never-ending death match of 1:30sec extra time when we were 3 - 3...

About the scores, so I guess the first match was 5 -2 and not 5-3?

Dash Kappei

Koren said:
I've written 5-2 but I may well be wrong... I don't mind which one we keep.

Yeah, I'm still shaking also, but that's because of the second one :) I had a very bad cold start in the first match, so I really wanted to make a comeback. In the third one also, but you defended really well.

I don't mind either, but if I remember I was winning 2-0, then you went 4-2 (!) then I scored with Koopa from almost middle field and then you scored again with that last lob goal for
5 -3.
Just tell me what you think of it.

Your first match, after that cold start was flawless, I really thought I had no chance against you because now that I made you gone berserk my death was just a matter of time :lol
Third match I was "saved" by that 3 goals Megastrike (my very first of the entire tournament - and the previous one also-:D )

Koren

Dash Kappei said:
Just tell me what you think of it.
That's perfect for me (I don't remind well the second half of the match, too much tense... I'm writing the results because I don't want to memorize them. Sorry if I made a mistake).

Dash Kappei

Koren said:
That's perfect for me (I don't remind well the second half of the match, too much tense... I'm writing the results because I don't want to memorize them. Sorry if I made a mistake).

:)

Thanks, anyway now that we know why we never had a chance to play against each other in friendlies, I'm eager to have a rematch with you :)

Btw, I wish Nintendo fixed the Code "connecting" error since one can only imagine how many people hadn't been able to play the game against their Friend (Listed)...

Also, it's official gents: E3 is over.
[Kudos to Haunted One who's now updating the Cup board by the minute... if not seconds :lol]

Haunted

Dash Kappei said:
Also, it's official gents: E3 is over.
Yes! I'm surprised impressed everyone managed to not get banned. :lol

Myke Greywolf said:
Here's the video for Myke Greywolf vs. Phife Dawg - starting at about 1:00 in the first game, because I only remembered to turn the recorder on at the last moment, and it takes an eternity to start up.
oh yes - that's awesome. :D Watching now.

edit: Thanks Myke. oh my, that video has the fewest amounts of shots I've ever witnessed in a Mario Strikers Charged game. :lol Good defensive play by both players, but the offence could use some work still. :p Man, that video makes me want to play the game so bad. >_<

Haunted One said:
Yes! I'm surprised impressed everyone managed to not get banned. :lol

oh yes - that's awesome. :D Watching now.

edit: Thanks Myke. oh my, that video has the fewest amounts of shots I've ever witnessed in a Mario Strikers Charged game. :lol Good defensive play by both players, but the offence could use some work still. :p Man, that video makes me want to play the game so bad. >_<
Hehe, yep Myke was relentless with his defence. I'm not the best offensive player so that didn't help the cause :lol .

nli10

I'm going to go cook & eat. None of my housemates are in so I'll leave the Mario Strikers thing on for a good hour if I can. Group B people invite me :D

I've just been so busy/ tired with my new job and summer that the tournament went from being relaxing & easy to the last thing on my mind!

Although at the moment I qualify as Im in 4th....
I kid, I kid...

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I'm going online right now. :)

Edit: nli10 vs. Myke Greywolf: 0 (4) - 2 (8)

Thank you for the game, nli10! I'll post the video as soon as I can.

Swisslink

omg, I miss everytime the players of group B XD

edit: ok, perhaps nli10 will come back XD

edit2:
Swisslink 2 (11) - (1) 0 Nli10

6:1
5:0

:)

nli10

Myke Greywolf said:
I'm going online right now. :)

Edit: nli10 vs. Myke Greywolf: 0 (4) - 2 (8)

Thank you for the game, nli10! I'll post the video as soon as I can.

NOOOOOO - - Video's of my awfulness :lol - actually i wasn't too bad against you. Apart from the start of the 2nd game where I foolishly tried to put the bacon on between games and ended up playing with wet hands and the nun-chuck cable behind my neck until I scored and could grab a towel...

I always knew that playing Swiss would be educational :D i like your moves and will have to try to master them once I get the hang of actually getting the ball off people and not giving it them right back.

I lost 6 online matches in that play period - this 2 and then another 4, some against people with Miis that looked about 6 years old. The last one was against someone who had never won this season either, and I was 1 nil up in the 2nd game (lost the first 2-1) when my rechargeable batteries ran out. I think that Mario Strikers hates me.

My only consolation is that when Brain Training Online comes out I can beat anyone and everyone
this may not turn out to be true, although I am particularly bad at Mario Strikers

Haunted

nli10 said:
NOOOOOO - - Video's of my awfulness :lol - actually i wasn't too bad against you. Apart from the start of the 2nd game where I foolishly tried to put the bacon on between games and ended up playing with wet hands and the nun-chuck cable behind my neck until I scored and could grab a towel...

I always knew that playing Swiss would be educational :D i like your moves and will have to try to master them once I get the hang of actually getting the ball off people and not giving it them right back.

I lost 6 online matches in that play period - this 2 and then another 4, some against people with Miis that looked about 6 years old. The last one was against someone who had never won this season either, and I was 1 nil up in the 2nd game (lost the first 2-1) when my rechargeable batteries ran out. I think that Mario Strikers hates me.

My only consolation is that when Brain Training Online comes out I can beat anyone and everyone
this may not turn out to be true, although I am particularly bad at Mario Strikers
:lol I'm sorry, I shouldn't be laughing but that story... all that happening to you - I'm sorry. :lol I'm sure you'll be able to beat someone in this tourney and your fortunes will look brighter after this dark, dark day. As long as everyone's having fun... :lol

Man, seeing Swisslink's performance so far, I really want to see him playing against CapnDrake and tanasten now. :D

Swisslink

Haunted One said:
Man, seeing Swisslink's performance so far, I really want to see him playing against CapnDrake and tanasten now. :D

I would like to play against them... but yeah XD
I haven't seen them online ^^

And you won 5 Series, so I think the next game against you will be harder then the last one XD

nli10

Haunted One said:
:lol I'm sorry, I shouldn't be laughing but that story... all that happening to you - I'm sorry. :lol I'm sure you'll be able to beat someone in this tourney and your fortunes will look brighter after this dark, dark day. As long as everyone's having fun... :lol

All my close matches seem to be against other people who's miis look in their late 20s early 30s with glasses & beards like me. I think the internet is telling me to fall asleep in front of my TV with Picross DS and give up on the online gaming. :D

I was laughing as I hurriedly played one handed as I took the batteries out of controller 2 and put them in controller 1 to finish the last 30 seconds of the match, but by then it was too late. I had wondered for a while why my players would just freeze on the screen.

Still, I will do my best to win at least one leg of one match this time, and always wave to the opposition during the Super Strike :lol

Koren

nli10 said:
when my rechargeable batteries ran out.
It already happened three times for me during online games (I use rechargeable batteries, and they suddenly run out without prior notice). Since my wiimote is in a rubber shell, it takes me several seconds to change them, some matchs must have been strange for my opponents...

Koren, bol, maxmars (,Dash Kappei?), anyone online today evening? I think i could play a match around 17 oclock German time (which is then 16 GMT or such).

Swisslink

CapnDrake
Phife Dawg
radioheadrules83
Tanasten

Please send me a PM when you're online xD
Phife dawg won't be online today, but perhaps one of the other players :p

I haven't seen CapnDrake and Radioheadrules in this thread up to now :(

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Swisslink said:
CapnDrake
Phife Dawg
radioheadrules83
Tanasten

Please send me a PM when you're online xD
Phife dawg won't be online today, but perhaps one of the other players :p

I haven't seen CapnDrake and Radioheadrules in this thread up to now :(

I've just sent PM's to all those guys (except Phife Dawg) in order to schedule our matches, but I'm also worried that those 2 haven't been active lately.

Although, Capndrake recently stated that he was waiting for E3 to be over and would be available from this week onwards.

nli10

Koren said:
It already happened three times for me during online games (I use rechargeable batteries, and they suddenly run out without prior notice). Since my wiimote is in a rubber shell, it takes me several seconds to change them, some matchs must have been strange for my opponents...

my 7dayshop.com 2800 rechargeable batteries are stunningly fantastic and rarely need changing - they keep the charge for a good 6 weeks no problems. This is why I was so shocked that they chose then to run out... :lol (if you are after cheap but reliable batteries it's £4.29 for 4).

There is a good chance I will play again tonight from maybe 8:30 UK time I can leave the Wii connected. Seems I played both of the group B regulars last night though... :D

Ed: TV in use - can't get on :(

Capndrake

Capndrake 2 (3) - Myke Greywolf 1 (3)

First match was pretty intense, both of us just couldn't score and it went into sudden death. I won that, then in the second match Myke kept hammering me with Shockers from his Dry Bones. I got in a Waluigi teleport and a completely random lucky shot in the final one.

I hope you recorded this!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I did record it, and I hope I'll post videos of my 2 last games here today or tomorrow.

Just goes to show that when the going gets tough, I just can't go the distance.

Credit goes to you, though, Capndrake. You played a solid game.

Haunted

Myke Greywolf said:
Thanks! I'm rooting for you in this Cup just so I can watch the other matches. ;)

edit: just watched the first match between you and Drake - man, you were so close... you had the right items and the opportunity to score a certain goal in overtime. I was all like 'use the shell! use the shell!' in front of my screen here. :lol
Also a more general observation: if you'd charge just a bit longer with DK instead of shooting immediately when he has the ball, DK would be your best scorer (instead of Dry Bones, like in the second game. :p)

Very cool to watch these games, though. Thanks Myke. :p

edit ²: How's it going in that NintendoPT tournament of yours?
you traitor
:lol

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Thanks for watching. My weak spot is items, since I'm not able to concentrate on the game and keep checking the item queue at the same time. I usually only check it when the keeper is holding the ball, and even so, I forget about it many times. I'll get better at it, eventually. :p

As for charging the ball, I'm still not able to find the "sweet spot" for pressing the shoot button as long as I can without going into megastrike mode. Oh well... I'm not pretending to be a pro or anything. :p

As for the NintendoPT tournament, I got eliminated from it in the quarter finals, immediately before playing Capndrake. Maybe that affected my mindset negatively. ;)

Also: during the Capndrake match, I seemed to have some difficulties doing charge-pass combos... if you notice the video, there are some instances where I kick-off, pass backwards to Dry Bones, and then try to charge the ball... but he just stays there doing nothing, and only starts charging after a second or so. This happened more than once during that match, and it annoyed me a lot.

Also#2: I hate the Classroom. It's slippery and the ball rolls too fast. :p

Haunted

You're a not a bad player at all, if you improve on the item usage, I'd say your set. :) The shot timing is basically just experience, once you get a 'feel' for the charge you know when to let go at what times.

And hm, I didn't really notice any problems with your Dry Bones charging. The ball doesn't change colour immediately... but it could also be that I just missed it. :)

And I hate the classroom as well, but only because I need the cheering of the fans and the classroom is ****ing empty. :p

And you've got another chance for quarter-finals in this Cup. Also, GAF is where it really counts. ;)
hardest of the hardcore and all that.
:lol

Also, watching the game makes me want to play it (have to learn for exams, though). I've got my Wii back yesterday, so if you want to play a friendly... just PM me and we'll schedule something. :)

Swisslink

Thanks for watching. My weak spot is items, since I'm not able to concentrate on the game and keep checking the item queue at the same time. I usually only check it when the keeper is holding the ball, and even so, I forget about it many times. I'll get better at it, eventually. :p

lol ^^
I've the same Problem...
Just press the button whenever I think it could help :p

Today I'll play against CapnDrake :p

Dash Kappei

nli10 said:
NOOOOOO - - Video's of my awfulness :lol

:lol :lol :lol

I HAD to quote you because is thanks great guys like you, competing with the right attitude and with such fair play and more important never bailing out of the tournies, that these GAF Cups are so much fun!

Keep on playing Nli, and look at me: I, for one, never won a match until this second Tournament and my training to get better IS to play this competition against you guys... so, even for you hope's not lost yet :)

Swisslink

Swisslink 2 (8) - (2) 0 CapnDrake

5:0
3:2

The second game was really bad for me XD
In the end I was lucky to win XD

Good game ;)

Toma just PM'd me to apologise for not getting in touch sooner, and I just wanted to apologise to everyone for not getting myself sorted sooner. I'm adding all of my Group's friend codes tonight, and I should start getting everything played in the next few days.

Swisslink

Capndrake said:
High passes are the bane of my existance.

I had some problems with your tackling on the second game XD

And normally I have big problems with the Mega shots, fortunately not against you :p

Radiohead, do you want to play tonight?
I think I'll be online for some hours :p

Top Bottom