• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2nd Mario Strikers Charged GAF World Cup

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
MasterMFauli said:
Sorry, but i hate Daisy and Peach XD
Also, i hate teleporting dry bones and i hate whirling Birdos...actually, i hate the game XD

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Hilarious!

I feel the same
:lol

Bo130

maxmars said:
I understand you're all youngsters so you will go out on Saturday evening, but anyway I'd like to play some matches. :D.

True words have not been smoken :D I'll be back.. like... thursday..ish. Have fun, ya'll :D :p

Haunted

MasterMFauli said:
Just so i see that correct:

I have yet to play against bol and koren, right?
Anyone of you two online tomorrow?
what about Dash Kappei and maxmars? Here are the group tables - you need to play against everyone in Group A once.

max said:
I understand you're all youngsters so you will go out on Saturday evening, but anyway I'd like to play some matches. :D
:D Indeed, I'll be with my gf on Saturday... and I won't be available to play for the following week, I think. So we'll hopefully be able to play next weekend, max. I feel this way of handling the preliminary schedule is perfect. :)

And fresquito, Toma - it would be cool if you'd update the group tables. :D

Koren

MasterMFauli said:
I have yet to play against bol and koren, right?
Anyone of you two online tomorrow?
I should be... but during the day, I may be away for the evening. Feel free to invite me if I'm online...

maxmars

Haunted One said:
:D Indeed, I'll be with my gf on Saturday... and I won't be available to play for the following week, I think. So we'll hopefully be able to play next weekend, max. I feel this way of handling the preliminary schedule is perfect. :)

eh, next weekend I'll go away for another week (this time on vacation). Hopefully last week of july? :)

Anyway, right now I'm cleaning the house, if someone from group A is available in the afternoon, please drop a message here. Thanks!

fresquito

Haunted One said:
And fresquito, Toma - it would be cool if you'd update the group tables. :D
Done ;)

I've been playing The Legend of Zelda like crazy these past few days and didn't pay much atention to this topic >_<

maxmars

It's a bitch to try and find someone to play with today.. Perhaps tomorrow better luck. See you tomorrow evening.

Koren

MasterMFauli: I'm sorry, I've made a mistake, I'll be away (this sunday) during the day, NOT in the evening. I'll try to be online in the evening if I'm going back early.

maxmars said:
It's a bitch to try and find someone to play with today.. Perhaps tomorrow better luck. See you tomorrow evening.
I'm sorry for people who may have tried to invite me this afternoon. I was online to play, but friends came by surprise, and I forgot to log out from WFC. You're probably one of them, Maxmars, so accept all my apologies for not responding to invites.

maxmars

Koren said:
I'm sorry for people who may have tried to invite me this afternoon. I was online to play, but friends came by surprise, and I forgot to log out from WFC. You're probably one of them, Maxmars, so accept all my apologies for not responding to invites.

Don't worry Koren, I know that you leave it on.. If I don't see you answering, I just move on. :)

Dash Kappei

maxmars said:

Hi Max, drop me a PM if you want to play today :)

Haunted, I reckon you're not available today right?
What about you MasterMfauli?

im onlnie now, dash.
dont saee you ^^

bol, koren, dash, anyone, come online now^^

EDIT: Im still online XD

EDIT 2: Still online, come on , guys :p

EDIT 3: Not anymore >_<

Koren

Maxmars 2 (6) - Koren 0 (3)

Many thanks for the good matchs...

May I say that I loathe power players in this game ? :lol Maybe I should use them instead of Daisy... (I doubt I would be any better, but still... :D )

maxmars

Ah Koren, you're a fast typer! :D

Anyway, a bit of background -- I just got home, checked to see if anyone was available to play and I found you so I immediately tried to connect for a match (it's been more than a week and I got zero matches!)

Then I remember I have to call family before 23:00, and I hope to lose or win quickly, 2-0 with no extra time or mega strikes. :lol

Frankly, in the second match, I saw you having a comeback and I prayed that you couldn't score a second goal, or I'd miss the phone call.

Good show with Daisy, as a friendly advice I think you should concentrate more on tackling the heavy player, as it's the one around whom the whole strategy revolves.

Edit: thanks for the match of course. You've finally given me the possibility to play this second world cup I'm organizing! :lol

Everybody else: I will be home this week at the usual times I've posted in the first page, I would be very happy to play with you all.

fresquito

Score Board updated. For the first time all participants are included.

One thing I ask of you, when you type your results please, follow this formula

complete nameA: victories (goals) - complete nameB: victories (goals)

This way I don't have to edit anything ^_^

Koren

maxmars said:
Ah Koren, you're a fast typer! :D
I have to admit that I have a direct link on this topic on my Firefox Toolbar :lol

maxmars said:
Then I remember I have to call family before 23:00, and I hope to lose or win quickly, 2-0 with no extra time or mega strikes. :lol
I'm happy that you haven't missed the call. Anyway, you could have disconnected if you needed. We could have played it against later. I hope you were not too disconcentrated by the call.

maxmars said:
Good show with Daisy, as a friendly advice I think you should concentrate more on tackling the heavy player, as it's the one around whom the whole strategy revolves.
Fun thing, I was thinking exactly the same when I posted the results. But I still have two problems with this : even if I'm now playing with a broad view, it's not always easy to see where Bowser is when you charge near your goal and throw the ball far away, and I keep tackling in the wrong direction (game assists you for direction, but sometimes doesn't choose the player you'd like to tackle).

maxmars said:
You've finally given me the possibility to play this second world cup I'm organizing! :lol
Yes, I'm really happy about this, there's so many players I like to play with here... But for my own morale, I'd like to avoid losing all 8 qualifing matchs :D (yes, I play for fun, but still :D )

One quick question : Does the performances change when you choose the position of players, or just their behavior for placement ? I mean, should you want to improve your defense, does it make sense to put Skelerex (the main defender) as the all-around player (since he's really quick and can go defend easily if needed), and a slower sidekick as defender, even if it's not its main role ?

On the contrary, is there solutions to have your offensive player on the good side of the field ? My Hammer Bro is always near my own goal :(

maxmars

Koren said:
I have to admit that I have a direct link on this topic on my Firefox Toolbar :lol

Ahhhh! :lol

Koren said:
I'm happy that you haven't missed the call. Anyway, you could have disconnected if you needed. We could have played it against later. I hope you were not too disconcentrated by the call.

Thanks but fair is fair -- when a match starts, it's all good. Beside, I'm not really playing to win. If I was to, I'd have quit the game long time ago. :lol

This is one of the few games that reminds me of chess -- if you don't lose, you don't learn. Lots of people beat me and I'm fascinated by their play and I try to understand, replicate, improve. I'm not good but I'm in love with the game.

Koren said:
Fun thing, I was thinking exactly the same when I posted the results. But I still have two problems with this : even if I'm now playing with a broad view, it's not always easy to see where Bowser is when you charge near your goal and throw the ball far away, and I keep tackling in the wrong direction (game assists you for direction, but sometimes doesn't choose the player you'd like to tackle).

Well I think you tackle in the direction you're moving.. Or not? Definitely the "gentle tackle", i.e. the one you activate with d-pad, acts like this, but its range is limited.

The power player tends to be in the center of the field. The computer-controlled players tend to play in the areas you see before match starts (captain in the center, defender in the back, etc).

Koren said:
Yes, I'm really happy about this, there's so many players I like to play with here... But for my own morale, I'd like to avoid losing all 8 qualifing matchs :D (yes, I play for fun, but still :D )

Eh, I wish the playground would take off, I also think there should be something less competitive.. But anyway, I am always up for a match, we can discuss our matches in the game official thread in this "online matchup" part of the forum.

Koren said:
One quick question : Does the performances change when you choose the position of players, or just their behavior for placement ? I mean, should you want to improve your defense, does it make sense to put Skelerex (the main defender) as the all-around player (since he's really quick and can go defend easily if needed), and a slower sidekick as defender, even if it's not its main role ?

On the contrary, is there solutions to have your offensive player on the good side of the field ? My Hammer Bro is always near my own goal :(

Hmm I don't think a player is less skilled out of his role, but of course a defender is less useful if you try to let it be a forward player (so probably that's what you're observing? He doesn't shoot well so he seems out of place) and viceversa.

As for positions: characters try both to stick to their part of the field and to follow the action. It's your responsibility to keep the heavier players out of the game in defense if you want them ready in offense. E.g. if you get hammer bro when you press A, press it again and go get the ball with the defender if you can -- hammer will go forward.

Dash Kappei

MasterMFauli said:
im onlnie now, dash.
dont saee you ^^

bol, koren, dash, anyone, come online now^^

EDIT: Im still online XD

EDIT 2: Still online, come on , guys :p

EDIT 3: Not anymore >_<

Sorry mate, I was online just for 40 minutes or so, then I had to go shopping (Sales season opened here in Milan:D )

Btw, sometimes it is better just to drop me a PM 'cause I can watch my PM constantly but can't F5ing this thread all day long :lol

Koren

maxmars said:
This is one of the few games that reminds me of chess -- if you don't lose, you don't learn. Lots of people beat me and I'm fascinated by their play and I try to understand, replicate, improve. I'm not good but I'm in love with the game.
Same here... Some games get frustrating when you keeps loosing, but in this one, I have fun even when I'm beaten 10-0. Probably because you can see so many strategies and tricks.

But I must say that with gaffers, I learn a lot :lol

maxmars said:
Well I think you tackle in the direction you're moving.. Or not? Definitely the "gentle tackle", i.e. the one you activate with d-pad, acts like this, but its range is limited.
Not sure about the gentle tackle, but for the power play, I'm sure that sometimes you are redirected towards the opponent that has (or will get) the ball if he's close. Sometimes it's a bit annoying, but I may just have to practice.

It's also from times to times difficult to choose the defender in advance with A (it cycles between players close to the ball).

maxmars said:
Hmm I don't think a player is less skilled out of his role, but of course a defender is less useful if you try to let it be a forward player (so probably that's what you're observing? He doesn't shoot well so he seems out of place) and viceversa.
That's not exactly what I mean... I'll try to explain. I've made a mistake earlier, and switched two sidekicks. Skelerex was mid-fielder, instead of defender. I usually defend a lot with him, and I found it was as useful as usual, but the mid-fielder sidekick (who was become the defender) where more often on the back, so I got more often two defenders available.

If you really need a stronger defense, and use a quick defender, putting him as midfielder seems to be quite useful. But maybe it's just me.

maxmars

If you're trying to break your opponent's game yes, it's useful to have two defenders instead of one, but you are also taking out a player from offense.. Skelerex / Tartosso / Dry Bones doesn't shoot or pass well at all.

How do you plan to score 1 goal more than the opponent? Are your captain + other sidekick able to sustain attack all by themselves? Both will need to be good scorers, e.g. a couple of "plain" characters (whose stats are all above average after all), or koopa + heavy character, just to keep possession of the center.

Haunted

Man, really sorry I'm so late, and missed all you guys (Dash, max) :( I literally just went online for a few minutes tonight, in order to play my previously scheduled game with dk_.

I can confirm the score - Haunted 2 (10) - dk_ 0 (4) - Thanks for the series dk, you're passing very often and very well, but your running and item usage still could use some work. Good games nonetheless. :D

maxmars said:
If you're trying to break your opponent's game yes, it's useful to have two defenders instead of one, but you are also taking out a player from offense.. Skelerex / Tartosso / Dry Bones doesn't shoot or pass well at all.
Oh my, Dry Bones is an excellent attacker. He's one of the most versatile in offence, because there are several ways you can use him to score:
1) his trickshot is an almost certain goal of you manage to get a hold of the second shot (after the goalie blocked the first)
2) you can easily overrun slower defenders along the sides to then roll/teleport into the goal. If timed right, it works 9/10 times.

And in addition to his excellent defending skills, he can easily switch between defence and offence because he's such a fast player. So yeah, Dry Bones handled correctly is an absolutely dangerous figure on the field (which is why I always have at least one in my team). :D

Koren said:
Not sure about the gentle tackle, but for the power play, I'm sure that sometimes you are redirected towards the opponent that has (or will get) the ball if he's close. Sometimes it's a bit annoying, but I may just have to practice.

It's also from times to times difficult to choose the defender in advance with A (it cycles between players close to the ball).
Just to clear that up: The slide (gentle tackle) is always directed towards the ball, while the tackle (bodycheck) goes towards the nearest enemy player.

maxmars

Good to know! And since we're at it, how do you intercept high passes? I see the cpu player and some human players do it, but I don't seem to be able to find a button for that!

Koren

maxmars said:
Good to know! And since we're at it, how do you intercept high passes? I see the cpu player and some human players do it, but I don't seem to be able to find a button for that!
Z+A or Z+B (depending if you want to throw the ball forward or towards a sidekick)

Besides this, I also think Dry Bones is a wonderful character, even in the offensive side. Teleportation works well, and charged strike is a guaranteed goal if you can get some time (with items, for example). Strange that my defender is maybe the character with which I score the most easily (I must do something wrong)

maxmars

Z+A and you must be in the proxy of the ball? Or directly under it?

As for defenders.. I don't know, doesn't seem to be a "right" or "wrong" way to play this game. If you score a lot with DB, more power to you!

Koren

maxmars said:
Z+A and you must be in the proxy of the ball? Or directly under it?
Not directly under it, but definitely close.

By the way, I checked with the gentle tackle. I confirm that sometimes the game is "stupid". When Drybones shoot an electric ball towards your goal, if you (between Drybones and the goal) try to tackle Drybones BEFORE the ball touch the goal, your character will turn back and do the tackle towards the goal (and leave Drybones alone and safe).

It's very difficult to tackle a player if you're close to another one that has (or will get) the ball :( Maybe I missed something...

maxmars said:
mmf, any chance we may play this evening?

Sure, if my stupid father isnt as annoying as on today´s morning xD
But it seems you´ve learned new tactics...im afraid....MasterMFauli = cannon fodder confirmed :-/ ^^

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I've been connecting regularly at about 21:00 GMT each night, and I'm not finding anybody online (except Maxmars, but he's not in my group, and Swisslink, with whom I've already played). What's the matter with you people?

maxmars

MasterMFauli said:
Sure, if my stupid father isnt as annoying as on today´s morning xD
But it seems you´ve learned new tactics...im afraid....MasterMFauli = cannon fodder confirmed :-/ ^^

Aw come on, fathers are not stupid. :D

As for tactics, I'm more apt in theorizing than putting it to practice.. My match with Koren was always very balanced, he could absolutely have won it.

Koren

maxmars said:
Aw come on, fathers are not stupid. :D
Don't know for MasterMFauli's, and I wouldn't say this in general, but I spent two hours on friday to explain mine by phone where was the internet slot in his computer and discuss the fact that blueish CRT image is probably a bad VGA contact and NOT a result of the change in DHCP configuration :lol

maxmars said:
As for tactics, I'm more apt in theorizing than putting it to practice.. My match with Koren was always very balanced, he could absolutely have won it.
Err... not convinced at all :lol But I enjoyed the match, and had hopes to go in death match till the end, far sufficient for me. And I learned many things.

maxmars

Koren said:
Don't know for MasterMFauli's, and I wouldn't say this in general, but I spent two hours on friday to explain mine by phone where was the internet slot in his computer and discuss the fact that blueish CRT image is probably a bad VGA contact and NOT a result of the change in DHCP configuration :lol

He was most certainly doing that to raise your self-esteem. :D

Koren said:
Err... not convinced at all :lol But I enjoyed the match, and had hopes to go in death match till the end, far sufficient for me. And I learned many things.

Yeah the second game could have ended in your favour easily. In the first one you got somewhat discomforted. But this evening we can play again and you'll put to test your improved theories, as I will, ok?

Haunted

Myke Greywolf said:
I've been connecting regularly at about 21:00 GMT each night, and I'm not finding anybody online (except Maxmars, but he's not in my group, and Swisslink, with whom I've already played). What's the matter with you people?
Maybe some players have only added those that are in their group? Well, I know that I've added you, but it always shows Myke (that's you, right?) 'connecting' - that's an error that sometimes happens... I would have to add you again to my friends list at a moment when you're online - BUT I don't have my Wii at the moment (and at least won't for a few days) so I can't check and do that right now. :/ I will immediately when I get it back, though!

If you want to play Cup games, try to contact some of your opponents per PM and schedule some direct appointments (nail them on a day and time). Group B should get cracking - lots of games still to be played. :D

edit: nice avatar btw. Paper Kirby :lol

maxmars

Myke Greywolf said:

Myke if you want I will also play friendly matches.. As Koren does, sometimes I also let the game on and am away, but you can tell that because I don't accept in under five seconds. If I'm there I will accept by default unless going to play a match for the cup.

Bo130

I'm home now, but I won't be able to play as much as last week because of E3 this week :). Tell me if you want to play, though, and I should be able to find time for it :D

Myke Greywolf said:
Well I asked a couple of times if anyone from group B was available. Between work and "social commitments" I don't have an awful lot of time. On weekdays most of the time I'll play online only if I know someone is available for a game.

BTW you're listed as connecting on my friend roster (like most of the GAF strikers) so I won't even know when you're available in the game :p.

Haunted

Phife Dawg said:
BTW you're listed as connecting on my friend roster (like most of the GAF strikers) so I won't even know when you're available in the game :p.
That's the status where you can't see his Mii (yet), right? He shouldn't appear like that if he added you to his buddy list as well...

that's a rather strange error that happened to me once before. I think you need to delete him from your friends list, and re-add him (ideally while he's online as well) - that fixed the problem of players appearing as 'connecting' (when they should appear as 'not available') for me at least.

maxmars

Phife Dawg said:
"social commitments"

Gisele.Bundchen.Swimsuit.jpg

maxmars

Woah Myke what a match.. Last two games finished after regular times and were nail-biting! :D

Confess, you didn't expect me to score a goal in the last second of second game, eh? :lol Too bad it wasn't enough as in the extra time you prevailed!

Thanks for the matches!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Yeah, I was really playing rough defense, but you prevailed through ball possession... I'm still can't use Waluigi's special properly. ;)

Excellent game, I hope there's a next time.

maxmars

Yeah I noticed you didn't use much your captain skill.. As for the rematch, tomorrow I should
be up again at around 1900 gmt (2000 portugal).

Well, i´d say...it´s E³ free for me now, so i´ll play my matches against Koren, bo and maxmars afterwards ;-)
I have to use our one month time window :p

Haunted One said:
That's the status where you can't see his Mii (yet), right? He shouldn't appear like that if he added you to his buddy list as well...

that's a rather strange error that happened to me once before. I think you need to delete him from your friends list, and re-add him (ideally while he's online as well) - that fixed the problem of players appearing as 'connecting' (when they should appear as 'not available') for me at least.
Oh OK. I thought he just didn't add me.

maxmars said:
:lol

Sorry for quoting the pic, but it's frikkin' Gisele!

maxmars

MasterMFauli said:
Well, i´d say...it´s E³ free for me now, so i´ll play my matches against Koren, bo and maxmars afterwards ;-)
I have to use our one month time window :p

Be advised that I'm away next week, we'll have to play in the last week of July.. I have no problem with that, I just want you to acknowledge that.

Did you get the popcorn for the conferences & thread here by the way? :lol

Phife: ah so she's famous? Or a friend of yours?

Top Bottom