• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 8" tablets: Thin+light, fast web browsing w/Flash, 8-10 hours...and Steam

TaroYamada

There have been reports on Slickdeals that BF stuff did work last year. And it seems to be working this year as well.

I've never had a credit card in my life, but I'm going to consider looking into it for this. Being able to use it once per year and avoid all the hassle? Very tempting. Thanks for the tip neonglow/wanders.

wanders

I've never had a credit card in my life, but I'm going to consider looking into it for this. Being able to use it once per year and avoid all the hassle? Very tempting. Thanks for the tip neonglow/wanders.
You're welcome Taro :)

I signed up for the Discover It card because I needed to build credit but the no annual fee and all the other benefits like free accidental protection, 5% cash back, price protection, etc really sealed it for me.

kmfdmpig

So other then the t100, is there any of these with a HDMI port? My GF is maybe looking to get one, but wants to play movies on TV at her work with it.

HP Omni 10 - It's $400, but has a much higher res screen, a faster processor and like the t100 it has HDMI out.

HP Omni 10 - It's $400, but has a much higher res screen, a faster processor and like the t100 it has HDMI out.

I'd like to see someone benchmark the Omni 10, because I wonder how well that Atom can drive a 1080p display, as opposed to the 1280x800 in the V8P.

Fezan

asus t100 is released in Saudi Arabia buts its as expensive as most 13 laptops with4 gb ram.
ill just have to pass on this one. don't care about battery life price was the only thing interesting about this product

How well does Chrome OS work with touch? Wouldn't you want 4G with it? And aren't there cheaper dedicated Chrome OS notebooks?

Seems like kind of a waste to me...

Oh yeah, I forgot about touch. Chrome OS probably doesn't even work with touch at all. The problem is that the chrome OS notebooks, like all other notebooks, get too hot on the bottom to use on your lap (or stomach while in bed). The beauty of the T100 is that it doesn't get hot on the bottom. The problem with the T100 is that windows 8 is basically unusable.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, I forgot about touch. Chrome OS probably doesn't even work with touch at all. The problem is that the chrome OS notebooks, like all other notebooks, get too hot on the bottom to use on your lap (or stomach while in bed). The beauty of the T100 is that it doesn't get hot on the bottom. The problem with the T100 is that windows 8 is basically unusable.

Chrome OS supports touch. The Pixel is the only product you can buy at the moment that has a touch screen but acer are going to start selling the $299 C720P soon.

http://chrome.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/touchscreen-chromebooks-for-everyone.html

I am pretty sure I am using my Dell Venue Pro 8 right now running Windows 8.

In what way?

I am pretty sure I am using my Dell Venue Pro 8 right now running Windows 8.

I"m sure Windows 8 is fine for most people. But I just got Windows 8 on my desktop and I'm having a lot of problems with it. The wireless constantly has problems connecting and my internet seems much slower. There are also a million other problems I'm having with it. But maybe that's just me. I could just be a edge case, and Windows 8 is fine for most other people.

TaroYamada

I"m sure Windows 8 is fine for most people. But I just got Windows 8 on my desktop and I'm having a lot of problems with it. The wireless constantly has problems connecting and my internet seems much slower. There are also a million other problems I'm having with it. But maybe that's just me. I could just be a edge case, and Windows 8 is fine for most other people.

Sounds like a driver problem more than anything else, that's not really Windows 8's fault. On my gaming desktop I cannot use sleep/hibernate in Win 8.1 because Nvidia dropped Nforce chipset support after Win7. Definitely annoying, and I actually hate the start screen on desktop but it functions great in a touch-oriented environment.

Once more, not Microsoft or Win 8.1's fault. The issues you are having are unlikely to occur on hardware that was designed from the ground up to function with the OS.

Stitch

Gold Member
Aww yiss, just ordered the Toshiba Encore.
But I wont get it before Christmas ;/ :D

I wonder how big the difference is between the Z3770 in the Toshiba and the Z3770D in the Dell Tablet.

The Z3770 should actually be faster.

rrs

Aww yiss, just ordered the Toshiba Encore.
But I wont get it before Christmas ;/ :D

I wonder how big the difference is between the Z3770 in the Toshiba and the Z3770D in the Dell Tablet.

The Z3770 should actually be faster.

The D is slightly faster, but only supports one RAM chip vs the 3770's 2.

Atom doesn't get that hot, however my Lenovo ThinkPad Twist can get toasty around the CPU when it's at full power.

Stitch

Gold Member
The D is slightly faster, but only supports one RAM chip vs the 3770's 2.

Oh the D one is faster. Thought it was the one without the D lol

But I wanted the Toshiba anyways. It has HDMI and GPS and a better Camera :)
Oh yeah and the Windows Button isn't hidden on the side of the Tablet.

rrs

Oh the D one is faster. Thought it was the one without the D lol

But I wanted the Toshiba anyways. It has HDMI and GPS and a better Camera :)
Oh yeah and the Windows Button isn't hidden on the side of the Tablet.

From my own use (of a larger device), I find the windows button quite useless as it's more convenient to swipe from the side to go back to start.

Agreed. I believe they have one because it's a crutch for iPad users. They have been trained for years that the physical button takes you home.

I mainly used it to doubletap and pull up what programs I used (mainly swapping Tweetbot and iCab), and a bunch of other fun things.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
From my own use (of a larger device), I find the windows button quite useless as it's more convenient to swipe from the side to go back to start.

Agreed. I believe they have one because it's a crutch for iPad users. They have been trained for years that the physical button takes you home.

First post on GAF...and it's my experience with the Dell Venue Pro 8 that gets me to do it.

This tablet rocks. I have never wanted a tablet before, but the combination of Steam games, being the perfect size for holding in my hands to read, and most importantly HEARTHSTONE, was just to much to resist.

A note on Hearthstone. It runs so perfectly with touch control right away on this tablet, it actually blew me away. I was afraid with the iPad version that Apple fans might get a better HS experience, but I my fears are assuaged. HS runs great! I can play it in bed, or on the couch, or on my lunch at work.

For $350 (less if you get a holiday deal, might be too late for that...) this tablet is the most amazing deal for a 8 inch tablet if have any sort of Steam Collection or want to play one of the numerous Digital Collectible Card Games out, or coming out soon.

This tablet has also done something else: made me appreciate Windows 8. I finally bit the bullet and installed Windows 8 on my Desktop PC as well...and...it's not nearly as bad as people were making it out to be...I actually might like it. Give it another 3 months using it and we will see if this opinion holds up.

After 1 month with this tablet and I can say this: I have ZERO complaints. Internet browsing, eBook reading (the size is perfect for this purpose, and the main reason I went with 8 inches), Video watching, Music (the speakers are even pretty loud!), and most importantly GAMES: I honestly cannot find fault with any of it.

venne

This tablet has also done something else: made me appreciate Windows 8. I finally bit the bullet and installed Windows 8 on my Desktop PC as well...and...it's not nearly as bad as people were making it out to be...I actually might like it. Give it another 3 months using it and we will see if this opinion holds up.

Windows 8.1 is serviceable on a desktop, but really shines on a tablet.

I still can't believe the Venue 8 Pro can be had for around $200.

Incredible.

verbum

I got the T100 last week for $350 (64GB). Nice little computer.
I went with it due to needing Office.
There is an updated BIOS which, along with the 8.1 updates, have really made this thing run smooth. Turning off edge gestures for the track pad helped a lot as well.

Look what I got in the mail...
u2vLvZY.jpg

Mmmm I need to call work or something, This deal is too good.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The OP needs some flashing warning telling European consumers to stay the fuck out of this thread, lest not die from frucking envy.

That $200 deal is a goddamned steal. €145 for a full W8 tablet? Even if you compute taxes and shipping, it's one of the best deals I've ever seen for any device.

The OP needs some flashing warning telling European consumers to stay the fuck out of this thread, lest not die from frucking envy.

That $200 deal is a goddamned steal. €145 for a full W8 tablet? Even if you compute taxes and shipping, it's one of the best deals I've ever seen for any device.

It's not 200$ dollars, it's 99$.

The complete add says.

99$ dollars Doorbuster deal, first hour. 20 units per store.
200$ dollar for the rest of the day. Don't know how many they have for the 200$ deal.

maeh2k

Just don't expect them to have many units available. Unless you arrive really, really early you might not get the deal.

ksdixon

I must admit that every time I look for a cheaper win8 hybrid laptop/tablet it has to cover the following:

- win8pro.
- no preinstal bloatware/apps which ruins the experience.
- have at least 4gb memory/128 hdd space.

Sometimes I find one for about £400 or lower and think 'yes!'... then I remember I want a keyboard included and would perfer a kickstand. And then I go back to waiting for MS Surface Pro gen 1/2 to get a little cheaper.

verbum

I must admit that every time I look for a cheaper win8 hybrid laptop/tablet it has to cover the following:

- win8pro.

Sometimes I find one for about £400 or lower and think 'yes!'... then I remember I want a keyboard included and would perfer a kickstand. And then I go back to waiting for MS Surface Pro gen 1/2 to get a little cheaper.
The T100 has a microSD slot, you could add a 64GB card and make it 128GB. Only 2 GB of RAM, not sure if you add more.
It runs Win 8.1 32-bit, so it runs well on the 2 GB.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I picked up a Dell Venue 8" a couple of weeks ago and decided I'm not going to keep it. It's still brand new and sealed.

Can sell it for $275 + shipping if any in euroland is interested (I'll be shipping from NYC).

Grakl

I picked up a Dell Venue 8" a couple of weeks ago and decided I'm not going to keep it. It's still brand new and sealed.

Can sell it for $275 + shipping if any in euroland is interested (I'll be shipping from NYC).

Why aren't you keeping it?

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Why aren't you keeping it?

Spent too much money and something had to give. (3DS XL, Xbone, and a PS4)

Honestly I was intrigued by the fact that I could play some light Steam games on it but I have had 0 time to even open it up.

I had same problems with Windows 8 when I first installed on my laptop via upgrading from Win7. It was pure shit experience. Then I got off my lazy ass and did fresh install of 8. It's literally night and day.

skybaby

They first announced it for 399€ in Germany. That's almost $550.

Alas, they reduced it to 249€ and now I'm constantly struggling to keep myself in check.

Any physical stores selling it already, or just online? I'm going to Germany in January.

Where is this at?

Microsoft Store. I just visit the store today, they say it was the first 20 people, as in the add. I'll have to wake up hella early and maybe wait 3 hours... Hopefully by the time I'm there there's no big line. I'm crossing my fingers here.

rrs

- win8pro.

Lenovo ThinkPad Twist, and replace the disk drive with an SSD yourself.

nilbog21

Banned
Okay, with the Dell Venue Pro, does anyone else have a problem with inadvertent zooming in when using one finger to scroll vertically while in IE? It's so bad that IE is becoming nearly unusable for me, as it's just too frustrating to constantly inadvertently zoom. I find myself putting my Venue down and grabbing my iphone when I want to surf.

I also have thus problem, very annoying

Top Bottom