• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 8" tablets: Thin+light, fast web browsing w/Flash, 8-10 hours...and Steam

I also have thus problem, very annoying

Yeah, this was a deal breaker for my wife. I don't know if it's Windows 8 or problem with Dell drivers. I was told by people in Surface thread that they don't have this issue.

I learn to keep my finger on the edge and scroll from there, it's still really annoying. Also not able to force mobile site is something that MS need to fix.

pfkas

Got my DVP8 delivered yesterday. Liking it so far, particularly the fact that I'll be able to play Civ5 on the train on the way to work. The Metro stuff works well, and Windows 8 makes a lot more sense to me as a result.

Stylus is a bit fiddly, but then I knew that going in.

Haven't thrown too much at it yet, but I've connected up a 360 pad and can navigate around Steam BPM (SPM?) without much hassle.

My thinking is that when Steam get round to releasing their general streaming client, it'll be able to be used as a big screen Shield as well..

Carton

Yeah, this was a deal breaker for my wife. I don't know if it's Windows 8 or problem with Dell drivers. I was told by people in Surface thread that they don't have this issue.

I learn to keep my finger on the edge and scroll from there, it's still really annoying. Also not able to force mobile site is something that MS need to fix.

Scrolling hasn't been an issue for me at all; I've tested slow and fast scrolling across multiple pages without any inadvertent zoom.

I don't want to get all hopefully without getting the tablet first but, how is the stylus support? I'll love to be able to actually make designs on my computer, I've never being able to do digital illustrations because of the mouse.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
By all accounts pen support is the worst part of the tablet and basically unusable for anything but the most basic of the doodling/character input. Drivers are whack, but Dell released an updated package (later recalled, somehow) that fixed most of the problems, so I guess that things will get much better soon enough.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still would greatly prefer the T100 since having a keyboard for light work use would be great, but I'm still going to check out the $99 sale, but I suspect it will be 20 deep by the time I get there.

The T100 is back at $299 on Best Buy. I didn't even know there was a 32GB version, although I suspect its totally irrelevant since I would load it up with an SD card in any case.

Well it's still cheap as hell. I'm afraid that I'll get there and the line is going to be already 40 people.

I really want that Tablet :'(

nilbog21

Banned
FIX FOR INADVERTENT ZOOMING ON VENUE 8 PRO

The problem stems from the tablet thinking you are double tapping while scrolling up/down a page with a single finger in IE.

By creating a .css file with this in it (create in notepad --> save as .css):

body {
-ms-touch-action: manipulation !important;
}

Then add this as a user style sheet in Tools -> Internet Options -> Accessibility.

Will fix the problem.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
FIX FOR INADVERTENT ZOOMING ON VENUE 8 PRO

The problem stems from the tablet thinking you are double tapping while scrolling up/down a page with a single finger in IE.

By creating a .css file with this in it (create in notepad --> save as .css):

body {
-ms-touch-action: manipulation !important;
}

Then add this as a user style sheet in Tools -> Internet Options -> Accessibility.

Will fix the problem.

Thanks, I'll have to try this out. In the interim, using two fingers to scroll seems to have alleviated the problem quite a bit.

Carton

Can that tablet handle 360/Ps3 games?

Do you mean games with a similar level of graphical fidelity/multi-platform games which have also appeared on the 360/PS3?

I've tried Street Fighter 4: AE, and it ran at about 25fps (medium to low detail, AA off). I started messing around with resolution and detail levels to get a better framerate, but it ended up crashing. I'll give it another shot later.

How is it with skyrim? Wishful thinking but would be amazing.

Unfortunately, i do not have Skyrim to test out.

Games i have tested out so far:
Nights into Dreams: ran beautifully, and looks great
Android Assault Cactus (alpha build): i reduced the detail for a better frame rate, and it was probably playing around ~30fps, but i didn't progress to the more hectic levels to see how it held up.
Half Life 2: as per previous post.
SF4:AE (as above).

Can you connect a wired Xbox 360 controller via USB and play?

I don't see why not. The PS3 controller works through motion joy and the Logitech wireless F710 works via USB OTG, so i imagine the 360 pad would work too

kmfdmpig

On the T100 definitely. I assume you can on the Dell as well.
I don't have Skyrim, so those videos are not mine. I actually just ordered a wireless receiver for 360 controllers so that I can hook it to my TV and play from the couch. It'll make a good emulator machine when I am in the mood for old games I haven't touched in a long time.

Enzom21

Yes but you have to use one of these:
microusb_stubby_ext_cable_v1.jpg
and you can't charge while using it.
It would probably be better to use a Bluetooth controller.

Yes but you have to use one of these:
microusb_stubby_ext_cable_v1.jpg
and you can't charge while using it.

Mmm that's odd. Anyway I'm nervous, I already talk to my surpersivor saying that I'm going to be late tomorrow at work. I'll plan to get they 3 hours early, hopefully nobody paid attention to that email this Weekend and some freaks when to sleep there tonight.

Yes but you have to use one of these: and you can't charge while using it.

Wired 360 Controller doesn't need to be charge. (You can't use wireless 360 controller with wired it doesn't send signal via wire, unlike the Xbox One version).

The USB adapter should work fine with it I imagine. If you are on the tablet I don't see why this would be a problem, you would be pretty close to the screen anyway.

Mook1e

Wired 360 Controller doesn't need to be charge. (You can't use wireless 360 controller with wired it doesn't send signal via wire, unlike the Xbox One version).

The USB adapter should work fine with it I imagine. If you are on the tablet I don't see why this would be a problem, you would be pretty close to the screen anyway.
I'm pretty sure he meant you can't charge the tablet since the usb/charging plug will be occupied.

border

Has anyone ventured out to any Microsoft stores? Is anyone camping out?

I'm hoping I can get a Dell Venue Pro 8 with no muss or fuss, since the Microsoft Store in town just opened a few weeks ago and hardly anybody knows its there. But at the same time I worry that there's an army of SlickDeals people waiting to scoop up the scant supply of 20 units.

MBison

I'm not dedicated enough to camp out. I'm just gonna head there a couple hours early and hope for the best.

bjscott05

Yeah, I want to get this for $99, but I don't think it is going to happen. Been reading some SD and people are just nuts when it comes to deals like this.

Enzom21

You can't charge the tablet while the USB adapter is plugged in, which means gaming sessions will be short.

i need that $99 indie games/GBA emulator/PSx Emulator/maybe ps2 emulatar?/league machine NOW!

Edit: it could also be $99 dollars at 10 am for the website as well.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?

phaonaut

In other words, they'll be sold out about 6:58am pst.

Is 7am confirmed to be when the online price will go up?

EDIT: Yup, says so right in that tweet link above, haha. Might get up early for this even if it will crash the site and sell out in 0.0001 seconds. Hopefully you just need to get it in your cart for it to work.

The Shift

Banned
Has anyone tried emulation on these Baytrails yet? I have recently bought a Vita but want to sell it and direct funds to one of these. As far as emulation I would like to run SSF if possible for my Saturn collection, Panzer Dragoon Saga in bed would be great for me.

border

The Surface Pro 2 is gonna for $250 apparently as part of Microsoft's daily deals.

They are going to sell a $900 tablet for $250?

Not a chance.

They might sell a Surface 2 for $250 ($200 discount), but a $650 discount on the Surface Pro 2 seems highly unlikely.

border

attachment.php

The rest of the daily deals are pretty weak. No Surface 2 for $250 either. Just $100 off the $1000 Surface bundle.

rrs

wanders

I wonder what was the Surface 2 Pro video about on Microsoft's official YouTube channel then? They were advertising the bundle for $249. Trying to look for the video.

Top Bottom