• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 8" tablets: Thin+light, fast web browsing w/Flash, 8-10 hours...and Steam

kmfdmpig

I guess I just don't understand what "apps" people want to use on these 8.1 tablets that they can't access through the web browser or by installing normally. "I want apps," generically speaking, doesn't really tell me anything.

The Touch version of IE seems to work and format webpages pretty decently for me.

I'm a fellow T100 user, so I almost always stay on the desktop side of Windows 8.1, but I imagine that having a smaller device with no keyboard would lead me to focus more on the metro side.

In the last few days I've hooked up a 360 wireless receiver as well as a HDMI out, so I anticipate that this should work quite well for emulation.

Since this is pseudo Dell Thread, I have a question.
There's a white light on tablet and when I try to use the camera, It says my camera is being used in another app, What do I do?

Argyle

I guess I just don't understand what "apps" people want to use on these 8.1 tablets that they can't access through the web browser or by installing normally. "I want apps," generically speaking, doesn't really tell me anything.

The Touch version of IE seems to work and format webpages pretty decently for me.

For starters, a Google Hangouts app would be nice. On the desk$23 (have I men$$ioned how much I hate $his virt&4 keyboard) there's a well implement$ed Chrome plugin, bu$ Chrome kinda sucks with a touchscreen.

I give up, no more posting on GAF from the Dell :p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
For starters, a Google Hangouts app would be nice. On the desk$23 (have I men$$ioned how much I hate $his virt&4 keyboard) there's a well implement$ed Chrome plugin, bu$ Chrome kinda sucks with a touchscreen.

Well, I guess I don't entirely understand what prevents you from doing that in IE. I'm posting from the T100 right now and not really having problems typing. Why not just pin the regular Hangouts page to the Metro?

What I'm not entirely understanding is why a dedicated tablet app needs to exist - do Hangouts not work in IE?

Argyle

Well, I guess I don't entirely understand what prevents you from doing that in IE. I'm posting from the T100 right now and not really having problems typing. Why not just pin the regular Hangouts page to the Metro?

What I'm not entirely understanding is why a dedicated tablet app needs to exist - do Hangouts not work in IE?

Every typo you saw in the previous post was when the keyboard switched on its own to the numpad+symbols mode. I was using the tablet in portrait mode...I typed most of the other posts in this thread with the tablet and it was slow going as I corrected all the mistakes. The keyboard is frankly infuriating for me.

"Pinning the regular hangouts page to the Metro" essentially means a shortcut to Gmail, right? Neither desktop nor metro IE supports the "open in new window" functionality in Web hangouts, so they only live floating at the bottom of the Gmail page - hardly an ideal situation for an instant messenger.

Installing Chrome and the plugin works, but Chrome has a lot of problems with touchscreens - even getting into the settings is a pain. Tapping on the chat windows to give them focus is frustrating and takes multiple taps. At least I figured out what that icon next to the "X" (to dismiss) on the keyboard is for, it makes the top of the keyboard the "bottom" of the screen so that the chat windows are not simply obscured by the keyboard :p No one has sent me a message yet but I'm pretty sure these are not tied into a notification system that will let me know I have a notification in Metro (on a desktop I'd notice that the taskbar icons flashed, or the chat window menu bar peeks up from the bottom of the screen and is colored orange, but I would I imagine I would not see any of that if I were using a Metro app). It's probably most tolerable as long as I stay in the desktop mode, which of course is a terrible experience without a mouse and keyboard.

Contrast this to the experience on an Android tablet, where I would get a push notification on a new message, I can click it from the notification shade and jump to the chatroom to reply (or just read the message from the notification shade and dismiss it), hit the application switcher and go back to what I was doing. Also, the keyboard works properly :)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Every typo you saw in the previous post was when the keyboard switched on its own to the numpad+symbols mode. I was using the tablet in portrait mode...I typed most of the other posts in this thread with the tablet and it was slow going as I corrected all the mistakes. The keyboard is frankly infuriating for me.

"Pinning the regular hangouts page to the Metro" essentially means a shortcut to Gmail, right? Neither desktop nor metro IE supports the "open in new window" functionality in Web hangouts, so they only live floating at the bottom of the Gmail page - hardly an ideal situation for an instant messenger.

Installing Chrome and the plugin works, but Chrome has a lot of problems with touchscreens - even getting into the settings is a pain. Tapping on the chat windows to give them focus is frustrating and takes multiple taps. At least I figured out what that icon next to the "X" (to dismiss) on the keyboard is for, it makes the top of the keyboard the "bottom" of the screen so that the chat windows are not simply obscured by the keyboard :p No one has sent me a message yet but I'm pretty sure these are not tied into a notification system that will let me know I have a notification in Metro (on a desktop I'd notice that the taskbar icons flashed, or the chat window menu bar peeks up from the bottom of the screen and is colored orange, but I would I imagine I would not see any of that if I were using a Metro app). It's probably most tolerable as long as I stay in the desktop mode, which of course is a terrible experience without a mouse and keyboard.

Contrast this to the experience on an Android tablet, where I would get a push notification on a new message, I can click it from the notification shade and jump to the chatroom to reply (or just read the message from the notification shade and dismiss it), hit the application switcher and go back to what I was doing. Also, the keyboard works properly :)
I guess I don't necessarily understand how Hangouts work, so its difficult for me to say whether its a problem on your end or Windows's end.

Argyle

I guess I don't necessarily understand how Hangouts work, so its difficult for me to say whether its a problem on your end or Windows's end.

I use the Chrome plugin on desktop Windows all the time, and it's totally fine.

The problem is that desktop Windows sucks ass on an 8" tablet with no mouse or keyboard, frankly.

venne

I don't know how you type like that on this keyboard.

You must be going out of your way to screw up that much.

Milchjon

The problem is that desktop Windows sucks ass on an 8" tablet with no mouse or keyboard, frankly.

surprise.gif

Honestly, what did you expect? There's a reason Metro exists...

aaaaa0

Huh, what are you doing to cause that? I'm not seeing this at all, and I'm typing this in on a venue right now... ? I actually find the touch keyboard quite good.

Angry Grimace

surprise.gif

Honestly, what did you expect? There's a reason Metro exists...
I understand the frustration, but if everything worked identically to iOS or Android in Metro, those OSes would be obsolete. It's a trade off.

Angry Grimace

Huh, what are you doing to cause that? I'm not seeing this at all, and I'm typing this in on a venue right now... ? I actually find the touch keyboard quite good.
I think he's not using IE in Metro. He's trying to type from desktop mode.

Milchjon

I understand the frustration, but if everything worked identically to iOS or Android in Metro, those OSes would be obsolete. It's a trade off.

I think going through this thread I'm just confused by people who latch on to the FULL WINDOWS idea so much and forget that this thing is a device that's only slightly bigger than a phone and has an HD screen. How can you be surprised that the desktop sucks with touch? My laptop has a 14" screen and I wouldn't be able to hit most of those buttons with my finger on it...

I'm still lusting after the Venue 8 Pro, but for me the desktop stuff is a total bonus and I'd only really use it via external display and with a mouse and keyboard.

You said you use swype on android right?

Are you accidently swiping up on the keys somehow? Because doing so does make them output a number or symbol. If you're just tapping the keys it should not do that however

Angry Grimace

I think going through this thread I'm just confused by people who latch on to the FULL WINDOWS idea so much and forget that this thing is a device that's only slightly bigger than a phone and has an HD screen. How can you be surprised that the desktop sucks with touch? My laptop has a 14" screen and I wouldn't be able to hit most of those buttons with my finger on it...

I'm still lusting after the Venue 8 Pro, but for me the desktop stuff is a total bonus and I'd only really use it via external display and with a mouse and keyboard.
it doesn't sound like its the right thing for you then, because the V8P doesn't have a video out other than Miracast.

I personally find that touch works really well in IE. At that point the majority of mobile app functionality is redundant versus getting separate applications to do the same thing. For stuff that needs keys and mouse, well that's why I went with the T100.

Milchjon

it doesn't sound like its the right thing for you then, because the V8P doesn't have a video out other than Miracast.

I personally find that touch works really well in IE. At that point the majority of mobile app functionality is redundant versus getting separate applications to do the same thing. For stuff that needs keys and mouse, well that's why I went with the T100.

Well, yeah, I'm aware of that of course. Like I said, all of that is a bonus.

Angry Grimace

Well, yeah, I'm aware of that of course. Like I said, all of that is a bonus.
As long as you know. It's going to be very inferior to a Nexus 7 as a pure tablet in my opinion.

Milchjon

As long as you know. It's going to be very inferior to a Nexus 7 as a pure tablet in my opinion.

I'm using MS stuff for everything but mail and search. If I wanted to switch to Google services, it would be for a phone, not a tablet ;-)

I also like Metro more than Android, funny as it may sound.

Argyle

I don't know how you type like that on this keyboard.

You must be going out of your way to screw up that much.

Really?

You said you use swype on android right?

Are you accidently swiping up on the keys somehow? Because doing so does make them output a number or symbol. If you're just tapping the keys it should not do that however

I have NO idea why it does that. No, I'm not swiping the words on the keyboard if anyone asks, haha :) I'm tapping with both thumbs. It's not the long-press for numbers thing (which IMHO is implemented poorly, most implementations I've seen will give you the number if you long press without swiping to one of the special characters, in the Windows implementation if you long press it brings up the menu but if you don't swipe you get the normal letter as you need to swipe up to get the number! If I wanted the normal letter I would tap, not long press...) - the keyboard is literally switching to the numpad + symbols mode in mid-word (as if I hit the toggle button in the lower left). I don't think I am hitting it with my palm or anything, although you can tell it seems to occur when I try to type the letter 't'. Worse, this screws up the autocorrect so it won't fix it for you :(

I think he's not using IE in Metro. He's trying to type from desktop mode.

Yes, this is the case. Does the virtual keyboard work differently in Desktop mode vs. Metro?

For what it's worth I just got a bunch of Windows Updates and the keyboard seems less asstastic. I wonder if this was a bug in the shipping keyboard? (remember I just got it yesterday so it's only now getting around to installing all the updates)

If the desktop stuff is a bonus STAY AWAY because this is not a good tablet (if you are planning to use it as a tablet most of the time). IMHO you should only buy one of these if you are planning to use it as a tiny desktop machine with a case that has a stand of some kind + a mouse and keyboard.

Milchjon

If the desktop stuff is a bonus STAY AWAY because this is not a good tablet (if you are planning to use it as a tablet most of the time). IMHO you should only buy one of these if you are planning to use it as a tiny desktop machine with a case that has a stand of some kind + a mouse and keyboard.

From reading your posts, I think our ways of using this thing wouldn't really be comparable in any way, so I'd have to make up my own mind about it ;-)

And of course I'd never claim it's perfect.

It's kinda the Swiss Army Knife thing that I like about it. The knife, can or bottle opener aren't going to be the best solution available, but I like having them in a small, affordable package.

It would mostly be a gadget anyway, used for some surfing in Metro IE and probably not much else.

Argyle

From reading your posts, I think our ways of using this thing wouldn't really be comparable in any way, so I'd have to make up my own mind about it ;-)

And of course I'd never claim it's perfect.

It's kinda the Swiss Army Knife thing that I like about it. The knife, can or bottle opener aren't going to be the best solution available, but I like having them in a small, affordable package.

It would mostly be a gadget anyway, used for some surfing in Metro IE and probably not much else.

Haha, I'd say on its own it's like a Swiss army knife with a dull knife, a fork with one prong, and a rusty nail file :)

If you're only going to be surfing the web on it you'd honestly be better off with a Nexus 7, especially since this thing lists for $299. Better screen, better keyboard, although the Flash support isn't as good on the N7 so maybe that's the deal breaker for you? I rarely encounter Flash sites these days (didn't even notice when KitKat finally killed Flash for good on Android)...at list price doesn't this put you in iPad mini price range too?

I don't regret buying this for $199 as a curiosity and as a platform to test against but I would be really unhappy if I expected this to work well as a daily driver tablet.

aaaaa0

Haha, I'd say on its own it's like a Swiss army knife with a dull knife, a fork with one prong, and a rusty nail file :)

If you're only going to be surfing the web on it you'd honestly be better off with a Nexus 7, especially since this thing lists for $299. Better screen, better keyboard, although the Flash support isn't as good on the N7 so maybe that's the deal breaker for you? I rarely encounter Flash sites these days (didn't even notice when KitKat finally killed Flash for good on Android)...at list price doesn't this put you in iPad mini price range too?

I don't regret buying this for $199 as a curiosity and as a platform to test against but I would be really unhappy if I expected this to work well as a daily driver tablet.

Really? You and I have very different experiences.

I've used a Nexus 7, and I seriously would not go back to that thing at all. For one, the browser is not as good. Can't render gifs and chokes on things the Venue hardly blinks at. And on the Venue, I can even run Firefox and NoScript and Chrome and all my normal stuff if IE fails on me.

The only advantage I would give to the nexus is the screen resolution. And I can live without that.

rrs

My experience with my own convertible PC has been quite decent, Chrome being a pain to "right click" on a touch screen is annoying however. The other issue is the keyboard not exactly made for the screen size of my device, so the keys are smaller than they wish they were. Other than that, it's also a quite nice small laptop/tablet thing that I'm liking more than my iPad 2.

Mendrox

For all the german people who ordered the Venue 8 Pro over Notebooksbilliger.de:

The charge arrived today and they will get send out today. :)

TaroYamada

=)
We should compile a list of games and how they play on these tabs

SpeedRunner works fine ~25fps

The Last Remnant closes on splash screen

Most of the games I've tested run well but I've only tested obvious games, Skulls of the Shogun, Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition, Lone Survivor, Osu!, games like that.

Unfortunately most games don't work with touch, pathetically Skulls of the Shogun's Steam version lacks native touch support when the Windows store version has it. Osu! has great touch controls though, you can select them in the options menu. Civ V also has a touch mode, I've not tested it out quite yet.

I hope Double Fine includes native touch support in Broken Age, P/C adventures work fine with touch.

venne

=)
We should compile a list of games and how they play on these tabs

SpeedRunner works fine ~25fps

The Last Remnant closes on splash screen

Civ 5 works well after loading.

I'm running it of the SD card and it takes about three minutes to get past the initial load screen. I have every graphic option set to its lowest setting. Top right part of the tablet (landscape) gets hot while holding it, but I've played for over an hour without issue.

I'm playing a small map (four players and eight city states) because I didn't know how long turns would take with more. So far, so good at around turn 175. I expect this to worsen as I approach the end game.

Flight Control HD from Steam works really well, too. Touch screen is perfect.

I might add some Popcap games soon. Seems like they would be perfect for this device.

yogloo

It's just a weird letdown, I think. "I got a Windows tablet and since it's an x86 PC it doesn't matter that the App Store is completely desolate and barren!"

**2 hours later**

"Okay, so using desktop apps is annoying as shit. Too bad the App Store is so desolate and barren."

I do like that I can trick websites into thinking I'm running a desktop PC, since a great many sites are now trying to restrict mobile users (YouTube, Spotify). The flip side is that a lot of sites look and behave better in their mobile version, and I occaisionally would prefer to use the mobile version. I am ralso eally missing the clean formatting of the "Reader" mode in iOS Safari.

Tell me about it. Mobile gaf is way superior to the desktop version.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That reminds me... is there a way to use Mobile GAF on a tablet? The desktop version is not very good if you are using a touch enabled device.

Calmine

Just checked out the T100 in PC world is really decent and found the keyboard fine. My only gripe was the brightness wasn't the best even at max. Although could be that they was a bunch of Surface pros beside it.

joshschw

Just checked out the T100 in PC world is really decent and found the keyboard fine. My only gripe was the brightness wasn't the best even at max. Although could be that they was a bunch of Surface pros beside it.

Not that I know it was the case, but just FYI, often when adaptive brightness is enabled it prevents these tablets/laptops from even getting anywhere near their max brightness.

Really?

I have NO idea why it does that. No, I'm not swiping the words on the keyboard if anyone asks, haha :) I'm tapping with both thumbs. It's not the long-press for numbers thing (which IMHO is implemented poorly, most implementations I've seen will give you the number if you long press without swiping to one of the special characters, in the Windows implementation if you long press it brings up the menu but if you don't swipe you get the normal letter as you need to swipe up to get the number! If I wanted the normal letter I would tap, not long press...) - the keyboard is literally switching to the numpad + symbols mode in mid-word (as if I hit the toggle button in the lower left). I don't think I am hitting it with my palm or anything, although you can tell it seems to occur when I try to type the letter 't'. Worse, this screws up the autocorrect so it won't fix it for you :(

Yes, this is the case. Does the virtual keyboard work differently in Desktop mode vs. Metro?

For what it's worth I just got a bunch of Windows Updates and the keyboard seems less asstastic. I wonder if this was a bug in the shipping keyboard? (remember I just got it yesterday so it's only now getting around to installing all the updates)

I don't think you understand. Its not a long press for numbers, or any of the other symbols. Its a quick swipe up.

Quick swipe up on q gives 1, give swipe up on n gives ñ, stuff like that.

Calmine

Not that I know it was the case, but just FYI, often when adaptive brightness is enabled it prevents these tablets/laptops from even getting anywhere near their max brightness.

Interesting didn't realise this, so didn't check. Best question then is how does the Max Brightness compare to the Max on a Nexus 7 (2012)?

I think my dream tablet would basically be iPad Mini hardware/form factor and breadth of tablet apps, but with windows 8.1 as the operating system. I actually really like the snapping, charms bar, syncing with my Microsoft account, and all of that type of stuff on the dell venue 8 pro, but I still prefer the form factor and app support for the iPad mini.

FinKL

I have 2 chrome installs, one set to regular desktop, and the other set to always run in Mobile. You can also do the same to FFox and even IE. I changed the Chrome icon to a different Chrome icon so I can make the distinction.

Makes life much simpler. I promise you.
How do you do this? After installing Chrome my IE in metro refuses to open in metro and opens in desktop mode, was thinking about using IE for metro and Chrome for desktop, but I want to be able to Chromecast from the Chrome metro UI.

aaaaa0

I think my dream tablet would basically be iPad Mini hardware/form factor and breadth of tablet apps, but with windows 8.1 as the operating system. I actually really like the snapping, charms bar, syncing with my Microsoft account, and all of that type of stuff on the dell venue 8 pro, but I still prefer the form factor and app support for the iPad mini.

That's going to happen eventually. Microsoft is going to keep hammering away at it until they have enough installed base out there that ppl will want and need to make tablet apps for Windows.

Personally, I think its gonna reach the tipping point this year or the next, especially with the Baytrail SoCs finally meaning Intel has their power consumption under control.

Top Bottom