• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 8" tablets: Thin+light, fast web browsing w/Flash, 8-10 hours...and Steam

Damn. A Wacom digitizer could be a game changer.

It could be everything the Dell Venue 8 Pro was supposed to be. It wasn't mentioned if the stylus is included for 299 or not, but even for 349 with stylus it would be a good price. On the tiny shitty picture it even looks like the stylus is supposed to slide into the tablet.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It could be everything the Dell Venue 8 Pro was supposed to be. It wasn't mentioned if the stylus is included for 299 or not, but even for 349 with stylus it would be a good price. On the tiny shitty picture it even looks like the stylus is supposed to slide into the tablet.

I just noticed that. It looks thin enough to fit inside the tablet. Slap a keyboard case and Asus has some serious kit on its hands.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Dell is sending me a new one for the same issue, only they have suddenly gone on back order.....

Make of that what you will.

Looks like I have a replacement on the way as well. Hopefully it works a bit better.

On a side note: being able to call tech support, have them remote into the tablet to update the touchscreen drivers and the bios truly demonstrates how powerful this tablet is.

rrs

Looks like I have a replacement on the way as well. Hopefully it works a bit better.

On a side note: being able to call tech support, have them remote into the tablet to update the touchscreen drivers and the bios truly demonstrates how powerful this tablet is.

Or how powerful their remote support tools are.

Anybody grab the new humble bundle android? Do any of the games work with touch on the PC releases? It seems something like Jack Lumber absolutely should.

I'll go check on that. Jack Lumber works great, just got start moving your finger when you are ready to slice n dice.

Jarate

Banned
Can anyone test to see how Skullgirls runs on this?

been hoping for an easy device to bring to school to practice my fightan games on.

Argyle

Can anyone test to see how Skullgirls runs on this?

been hoping for an easy device to bring to school to practice my fightan games on.

Seems to run ok but I don't have a keyboard or a USB otg cable (assuming that is what I need to plug things in?) so I can't get past the title screen...

nilbog21

Banned
Does the surface 2 have full windows on it? why is it 500$?

I've had the V8P for a month and it's still in the original plastic.. thank god the DELL logo has faded out

Damaniel

Banned

I've had the V8P for a month and it's still in the original plastic.. thank god the DELL logo has faded out

The Surface 2 is running Windows RT (the Surface 2 Pro runs full Windows, but also costs almost $1000). The price difference is mainly due to build quality - the Dell and Asus tablets might be cheap, but there's a reason -- they're not very well built (and I say that as an owner). The failure rate on them (especially the Asus) is pretty high too. That extra couple hundred bucks gets you a better screen and better materials all around.

Argyle

So I poked around some and found out that there was a touchpanel firmware update for the Dell Venue 8 Pro.

This turned out to be the difference between usable and unusable for me. I can actually click things in Chrome now (I was raging out a few days ago when simply trying to export my wifi passwords from LastPass, didn't have any problems today).

I still wouldn't recommend the tablet to anyone who wasn't very technical. The state they shipped it in was pretty shameful and I still think the virtual keyboard is quite poor, but at least it is not completely unusable like it was out of the box...

Costco have the 64gb version of Dell Venue Pro 8 for $329.00 in store and comes with Dell case. Not the best of deal but if you are looking for 64gb version and a case it's a good saving.

nilbog21

Banned
To those with the V8P, are you having any issues with images loading up on websites? Or some websites just generally not loading up in certain browsers? I'm using 3 browsers and having these problems

Argyle

To those with the V8P, are you having any issues with images loading up on websites? Or some websites just generally not loading up in certain browsers? I'm using 3 browsers and having these problems

Which sites are causing problems for you?

We bought a Venue 8 Pro for my dad (it's what he asked for, after news of that sale came out, although looking at that Asus tablet with the better stylus, maybe we should return it...), is there a keyboard case anyone can recommend for it?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

It has much nicer hardware and processors. It isn't running full Windows, though, just RT.

Izayoi

Banned
I figure this is as good a thread as any to ask. I'm in need of a netbook/tablet that can play 1080p video, run a torrent client, and browse the web (it needs to run a Windows OS). The lower the price and TDP, the better - it will be on pretty much 24/7. Any recommendations?

kmfdmpig

I figure this is as good a thread as any to ask. I'm in need of a netbook/tablet that can play 1080p video, run a torrent client, and browse the web (it needs to run a Windows OS). The lower the price and TDP, the better - it will be on pretty much 24/7. Any recommendations?

If you're OK watching 1080p source video at a lower res then the t100.

Otherwise maybe the HP Omni 10 + keyboard. It's got nice specs and a 1080p+ screen, but there haven't been very many reviews. On paper it's pretty good, however.

The bayrails seems to sip power as they have very long battery life.

If you purchased a Venue 8 Pro through Amazon in December, good luck getting them to budge on giving you the promo $25 Windows Store gift card. I had the CS guy tell me that 1) They aren't part of the promotion, only that they sell the gift card and then 2) That the promotion was only through "that website" (the Microsoft Windows blog lol). Eventually after reiterating the first paragraph of that blog post several times, they caved and sent my case over to promotions. Hopefully I'll hear something from them soon.

If you purchased a Venue 8 Pro through Amazon in December, good luck getting them to budge on giving you the promo $25 Windows Store gift card. I had the CS guy tell me that 1) They aren't part of the promotion, only that they sell the gift card and then 2) That the promotion was only through "that website" (the Microsoft Windows blog lol). Eventually after reiterating the first paragraph of that blog post several times, they caved and sent my case over to promotions. Hopefully I'll hear something from them soon.

Don't worry, it's not like there are any apps on the store you can buy.

maeh2k

We bought a Venue 8 Pro for my dad (it's what he asked for, after news of that sale came out, although looking at that Asus tablet with the better stylus, maybe we should return it...), is there a keyboard case anyone can recommend for it?

Don't return it. It's a great device you got for a good price. Apart from the Wacom stylus the Asus tablet might not even be better. And the stylus might come as a costly upgrade. Unless your dad wants to draw on the thing or take tons of hand-written notes, he'd probably barely use a stylus.

Don't return it. It's a great device you got for a good price. Apart from the Wacom stylus the Asus tablet might not even be better. And the stylus might come as a costly upgrade. Unless your dad wants to draw on the thing or take tons of hand-written notes, he'd probably barely use a stylus.

I suppose, although I figure he'll probably use the stylus quite a bit, since he's one of those people that has an issue with touch screens picking him up. That was my big concern, when I started to hear about the stylus issues.

I still need to figure out a keyboard case for it, though.

jond76

Banned
Microcenter is seller 1st Gen Surface Pros for $399. Don't know if it's been posted or not.

Two months after I buy mine... dammit. Love it tho.

Also they have the Venue 8 Pro for $229.

Mudkips

Banned
My girlfriend's trying to set up a Venue 8 Pro she got for her mom, and she's getting the following errors when trying to install apps.

0x80072efe
0x8020002e
0x80073cf9

She should be running Windows 8.1 with all the latest update.
I'm having her try using Google's DNS and making sure she set it up as a non-metered connection (first time connecting to her parent's wifi, everything was fine using our wifi a few days ago).

Has anyone else encounrered these errors? I can't find anything definitive online.

PSGames

Microcenter is seller 1st Gen Surface Pros for $399. Don't know if it's been posted or not.

Two months after I buy mine... dammit. Love it tho.

Also they have the Venue 8 Pro for $229.

Yeah I knew about the v8pro price but the surface pro?? Can't seem to find it on the website.

maeh2k

My girlfriend's trying to set up a Venue 8 Pro she got for her mom, and she's getting the following errors when trying to install apps.

0x80072efe
0x8020002e
0x80073cf9

She should be running Windows 8.1 with all the latest update.
I'm having her try using Google's DNS and making sure she set it up as a non-metered connection (first time connecting to her parent's wifi, everything was fine using our wifi a few days ago).

Has anyone else encounrered these errors? I can't find anything definitive online.

I got an error when trying to install apps when I put an SD card into my Surface and set Windows to store pictures, music, and video on the SD card (at least I think that was the issue, since I didn't get errors before). Not sure why exactly it happened. Then I set it back to store stuff on the device, removed the SD card, and rebooted. Installing worked again. Then I put the card back in and didn't get any more errors.

Today I had the chance to finally get some "ME" time with several Windows 8.1 tablets, namely the T100, Venue 8 Pro, Venue 11 Pro and the HP Omni 10. As much as I want a 10 inch tablet I simply can't fathom getting one and I really really fought with my self over the Venue 11 pro. It's that good, more so considering what you get with it compared to the Surface 2 Pro.

Had a nice convo with several of the Microsoft store employees about the Surface 2 and the Venue and they've had nothing but good things to say about the Venue line. In the end I picked up the Venue 8 Pro since they were out of the Venue 11 Pro. Also got them to give it to me for $249.99 since Office Depot is selling them for that price until 12/28.

I have to say that I'm really impressed with the tablet, more so with Windows 8.1 and that's coming from someone who's used nothing but Android tablets since they were available. The screen is very crisp and bright even though the resolution is lower than a Nexus 7 (which I carry with me everywhere) and the tablet is very responsive thanks to the Intel Baytrail processor.

Still not used to a Windows based tablet as I keep using Android gestures such as the home key and I do miss having dual speakers like the Nexus 7 but other than that the Venue 8 Pro is a solid tablet. I still have concerns about the Windows (Mobile) ecosystem such as apps and accessories, I'd love to see a docking keyboard similar to what ZAGG (ZAGGKeys) offers for the iPad mini to come out. I think Dell has one coming out but other than a picture a brief description it's not very clear as to how it's going to function.

I dislike the fact that it doesn't have a HDMI port nor does it have a USB port, but you can get around that with an Micro USB OTG to USB adapter.

For $249.99 you can't beat this and it's full Windows!

The Windows App environment would totally suck if I couldn't just use the Venue 8 Pro as an actual computer. I've had mine for the weekend now, and while I'm still getting used to it, I'm enjoying the experience. Some things are dumb, like having to swipe in and down apps to close them in the taskbar or having to go to the desktop to see battery percentages, but I think the controls are pretty smart otherwise.

I had an "Aha" moment when helping my mother transfer some docs to her ipad through dropbox to quickoffice. I got so frustrated not having a file browser, and I realized that with only minor exceptions, I can do whatever the hell I want on this tablet. I'm not limited by the OS or compatibility issues.

Izayoi

Banned
If you're OK watching 1080p source video at a lower res then the t100.

Otherwise maybe the HP Omni 10 + keyboard. It's got nice specs and a 1080p+ screen, but there haven't been very many reviews. On paper it's pretty good, however.

The bayrails seems to sip power as they have very long battery life.
The 1080p video would be output via HDMI to a receiver. I'm really looking for something that can be a general purpose "around the house" computer for web browsing, listening to music, etc. and that can serve a dual purpose as a media server for my receiver (via a USB HDD). That's why I was hoping there would be a cheaper option than the T100, a netbook or something would be just fine (so long as it can handle 1080p video).

Some things are dumb, like having to swipe in and down apps to close them in the taskbar...

There are a couple of other options to close individual apps using your finger. There's also multiple ways to close all apps at once. And of course you don't really have to close lightweight apps generally speaking unless that's something you'd like to do.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just stumbled upon the pictures of Dell's wireless keyboard. They are not exactly new, but this is the first time I've seen the full thing from different angles and I believe some people may be interested in it.

Slim, lightweight wireless keyboard for productivity on the go

The Dell Tablet Wireless Keyboard offers the versatility of a wireless keyboard and the portability and protection of a folio-style tablet case. The keyboard uses Bluetooth 3.0 connectivity for easy connection to your Dell Venue 8 Pro. Its detachable design means you can use the wireless keyboard at distances and angles that are comfortable for you.

Easy typing with well-spaced keys

The keyboard's well-spaced keys ensure easy, natural typing, for improved productivity. For quick access and easier navigation, the keyboard includes Windows shortcut keys, media control keys and function keys (F1-F12). The case's integrated holder conveniently stores your stylus.

Well-spaced keys for comfortable typing.

This versatile folio case is made from impact-resistant polycarbonate to effectively protect your tablet. Its cover folds into a stand for two easy-viewing angles. Additionally, the case connects to the keyboard with magnets, so you can detach the keyboard and work at a distance and angle that's most comfortable for you.

Replaceable battery lasts up to one year

The Dell Tablet Wireless Keyboard has a built-in battery that lasts up to one year. An indicator on the keyboard tells you when the battery is low and when the keyboard is connected to your tablet.
oMaGHUO.jpg

b1bbUp5.jpg

U05aZFi.jpg

endre

Not exactly according to thread title, but i need some help/advice. I am back home in Serbia and thinking about buying the Asus T100 transformer tablet. Maybe it would be cheaper to buy in Austria, but I want English OS and I will not refund the tax. The warranty is international.

I would probably go with this one:http://www.gigatronshop.com/tablet_pc/asus_transformer_book_t100ta_grey_-_t100ta-dk003h_-28395
(~390 Euro)

My question is if this is a wise purchase. I know it is very hard to answer this in the computer world, but should I wait for something else in the near future? For example there was talk about an Asus transformer with a 500GB HDD in the dock.

JBuccCP

I've had my T100 for a couple of days now. It's pretty snappy and really just cool to have a full PC in this from factor. I'm not sure about the size of it, I think something closer to 11 in to fit a bigger keyboard and trackpad would be better. My brother has an 11 in Asus laptop with a good keyboard and an excellent large trackpad. Those are really the weakest parts and what holds me back from fully endorsing the T100. The keyboard is just too small and cheap for any lengthy typing. The tiny right shift key alone has caused numerous errors in just the few days I had it. The trackpad was total garbage and had me contemplating returning the whole thing until I upgraded the drivers and turned off the edge gestures. It's passable now, but will still just not register touches from time to time. It also has a horrible click mechanism that is way too stiff.

With as limited as the windows 8 App Store is I think these devices need to be a good laptop first and tablet second. The t100 is more focused on the tablet part and cheaps out on the keyboard dock. I think I still might just get a regular laptop and a nexus 7. I will say I don't have any complaints with performance, thanks to the ssd it feels faster than my brothers mentioned laptop which has an i3 but a 5200 rpm hard drive.

endre

I heard really bad stuff about the dock. People say the android version dock is much better.

I would buy this tablet as a supplement to my laptop. I (think I) need something portable to read pdf textbooks from it. I want full windows on it. Consider the keyboard as a bonus.

While testing in the shop I noticed the pdf textbooks are not as sharp as expected. When I put my finger on the screen it gets noticeably sharper/crisper. Any thoughts on this?

Argyle

I heard really bad stuff about the dock. People say the android version dock is much better.

I would buy this tablet as a supplement to my laptop. I (think I) need something portable to read pdf textbooks from it. I want full windows on it. Consider the keyboard as a bonus.

While testing in the shop I noticed the pdf textbooks are not as sharp as expected. When I put my finger on the screen it gets noticeably sharper/crisper. Any thoughts on this?

I've noticed the opposite on some pages using Metro IE...if you keep your finger on the screen when scrolling everything gets blurry and doesn't get sharp until you remove your finger...

I just stumbled upon the pictures of Dell's wireless keyboard. They are not exactly new, but this is the first time I've seen the full thing from different angles and I believe some people may be interested in it.

That looks great, is the tablet also compatible with non wireless/battery powered keyboards? Because the touch keyboard is a piece of shit. I don't know if I got a defective version but I sometimes type a letter and it writes itself 3-4 times in a row, making it a pain in the ass to write any sentence.

For example.

"The Apppp
(shit, press back a couple of times)
ple is.
(shit, double space makes a dot appear, let me hit back)
rrrrrrrrred."

Jarate

Banned
That looks great, is the tablet also compatible with non wireless/battery powered keyboards? Because the touch keyboard is a piece of shit. I don't know if I got a defective version but I sometimes type a letter and it writes itself 3-4 times in a row, making it a pain in the ass to write any sentence.

For example.

"The Apppp
ple is.
rrrrrrrrred."

I haven't had any problem on mine so far

In fact I'm typing this post on it right now!

Orayn

Can anyone vouch for the Venue 8 Pro as being usable for desktop mode with a kickstand case and keyboard? I'm almost sold on it and a nearby Microcenter has them for $230, but 8" just seems way too small.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

For example.

"The Apppp
ple is.
rrrrrrrrred."

Thats a weell known problem with the drivers. Mine dores that too. Actually, all the typos in this post were introduced by that POS of a keyboard.

Top Bottom