• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 8" tablets: Thin+light, fast web browsing w/Flash, 8-10 hours...and Steam

kmfdmpig

That's going to happen eventually. Microsoft is going to keep hammering away at it until they have enough installed base out there that ppl will want and need to make tablet apps for Windows.

Personally, I think its gonna reach the tipping point this year or the next, especially with the Baytrail SoCs finally meaning Intel has their power consumption under control.

Honestly if I can buy a tablet that has better expansion that most android/iOS tablets, is similarly priced or even cheaper and comes with Office and the potential for real computer use then I don't see the value proposition of the other tablets now (even though I own three Android tablets).

If you take the T100 make it a bit faster, add a bit of RAM, make the screen higher resolution/better, boost touch focused apps, improve battery life/size/weight then you have the best of all worlds. That's a lot of improvements but with many they're either already there or en route. While I'm glad I got the t100 and anticipate using it quite a bit over the next few years I imagine that the machines available in the next year or two will be amazing as Intel and Microsoft finally seem to be doing well in this form factor.

wanders

For some reason performance is way better on my T100 now

Im able to run The Last Remnant at low setting at 20fps and Speedrunners is 40fps with some hiccups

Argyle

Really? You and I have very different experiences.

I've used a Nexus 7, and I seriously would not go back to that thing at all. For one, the browser is not as good. Can't render gifs and chokes on things the Venue hardly blinks at. And on the Venue, I can even run Firefox and NoScript and Chrome and all my normal stuff if IE fails on me.

The only advantage I would give to the nexus is the screen resolution. And I can live without that.

We'll probably just have to agree to disagree. I haven't really noticed any problems with GIF heavy pages on the N7, sometimes I notice that they don't animate but I just close the browser from the task switcher and restart it and the page seems to load correctly. I also usually have an ungodly number of tabs open (of course it doesn't load them all at once), and if it matters, I'm using the beta version of Chrome 97% of the time.

I think my problems with the Venue Pro 8 browsers would be fixed if Metro IE had an easy to get to way to send a mobile user agent (apparently impossible currently?). I get why it's not that way by default (don't want to send a mobile user agent on desktop) but it seems useful for such a small device. Perplexingly, Metro IE seems to render everything even smaller than desktop IE when browsing GAF, and when the text is that small you can really feel the low resolution screen (honestly I feel the screen res is adequate for most stuff, it's just super noticeable when you find yourself squinting at everything)

I can understand doing multiple browser installs to get around it and I personally would be willing to jump through those hoops (if this were my only tablet) but I think that kinda stuff is just going to be beyond the average user.

Google also needs to fix Chrome - clearly they are doing something wrong in the way they are handling touch events. No idea what kind of messages get sent to the application but it makes using Chrome nearly impossible - I got some messages in my Hangout with the window minimized to the bottom of the screen, and it's impossible to hit the "expand" button to bring the window back up with the touchscreen :(

I don't think you understand. Its not a long press for numbers, or any of the other symbols. Its a quick swipe up.

Quick swipe up on q gives 1, give swipe up on n gives ñ, stuff like that.

You might want to read my post again, I understand how it works, I just think it's a bad way of doing it (it's also not the way it's done on every other mobile keyboard I've seen).

We'll probably just have to agree to disagree. I haven't really noticed any problems with GIF heavy pages on the N7, sometimes I notice that they don't animate but I just close the browser from the task switcher and restart it and the page seems to load correctly. I also usually have an ungodly number of tabs open (of course it doesn't load them all at once), and if it matters, I'm using the beta version of Chrome 97% of the time.

I think my problems with the Venue Pro 8 browsers would be fixed if Metro IE had an easy to get to way to send a mobile user agent (apparently impossible currently?). I get why it's not that way by default (don't want to send a mobile user agent on desktop) but it seems useful for such a small device. Perplexingly, Metro IE seems to render everything even smaller than desktop IE when browsing GAF, and when the text is that small you can really feel the low resolution screen (honestly I feel the screen res is adequate for most stuff, it's just super noticeable when you find yourself squinting at everything)

I can understand doing multiple browser installs to get around it and I personally would be willing to jump through those hoops (if this were my only tablet) but I think that kinda stuff is just going to be beyond the average user.

Google also needs to fix Chrome - clearly they are doing something wrong in the way they are handling touch events. No idea what kind of messages get sent to the application but it makes using Chrome nearly impossible - I got some messages in my Hangout with the window minimized to the bottom of the screen, and it's impossible to hit the "expand" button to bring the window back up with the touchscreen :(

You might want to read my post again, I understand how it works, I just think it's a bad way of doing it (it's also not the way it's done on every other mobile keyboard I've seen).

Hmm I really don't understand your post at all then. There isn't any long pressing involved in the windows implementation, and you were decrying that you had to long press then swipe, right?

I was saying you don't long press, like at all. You just swipe. Like I wouldn't long press p to get 0, I would just flick up the p key.

Sorry at my possible confusion :)

border

Halo: Spartan Assault is apparently busted and unplayable on the Dell Venue 8 Pro.

343 Industry's response reads something like "Our team is busy working on the console ports, but we are aware of the issue and will get to it when we can."

Damn, it really is like owning a real PC :\ If a company's flagship game was broken on the iPad Air, you know they'd be busting ass to fix it. But instead you get shuffled to the back of the line due to the fragmented hardware market.

rrs

Halo: Spartan Assault is apparently busted and unplayable on the Dell Venue 8 Pro.

343 Industry's response reads something like "Our team is busy working on the console ports, but we are aware of the issue and will get to it when we can."

Damn, it really is like owning a real PC :\ If a company's flagship game was broken on the iPad Air, you know they've be busting ass to fix it. But instead you get shuffled to the back of the line due to the fragmented hardware market.

The Venue 8 Pro isn't exactly a flagship >:3

border

The Venue 8 Pro isn't exactly a flagship >:3

My point was that Halo: Spartan Assault is 343's flagship game (at least for the mobile space). You'd think (or at least hope) that a game-breaking incompatibility would be a big priority.

I know that the DVP8 isn't a flagship piece of hardware, but as one of the cheapest Win8 tablets it's bound to be one of the best-selling. There's just a contrast between the Apple and Microsoft worlds here. Buy new Apple hardware and developers will cater to you....buy new Windows hardware and you're not worth their time since they'd rather support older devices (or in this case consoles).

I'm contemplating selling my N7 for one of these. Deciding between the DV8P or the Miix2. I like the Miix2 cause of the GPS and I'm a Lenovo fan boy but I heard that the DV8P has a louder speaker and the build quality is better.

Decisions decisions.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Can you adjust the settings before opening the game?

Civ 5 would start but crashed when I loaded a game until I dropped some graphics settings.

There are a limited amount of setting like full-screen, resolution, and "original graphics".

I tried mixing all of these and it still just crashes as soon as you click play on the launcher.

venne

Looks like you can get the 64 gb dell for $250 at TigerDirect after their rebate and an American Express sync credit.

wanders

Can the versions of Office that is included in the T100 be installed on another computer?

Wondering if I should sell Office since I don't really need it.

Mendrox

Got the Dell Venue 8 Pro on Saturday from notebooksbilliger.de .

I love it. Anybody who says that Apple Tablets/Android Tablets are better than the new Windows 8.1 Tablets... didn't really use one. It's such an amazing experience that you can just do everything like you would on your notebook/pc and even have an amazing portable device like this. You can even play real games really good and you have an incredible battery life on these devices. 249€ is also a perfect price.

Got no lag so far and I played around with the thing for about 6-7 hours and didn't even mind the tablet controls (only used iPads and the new Nexus 7 so far but won't use them anymore now).

So I can only recommendend these devices.

RoadDogg

Can the versions of Office that is included in the T100 be installed on another computer?

Wondering if I should sell Office since I don't really need it.

I don't see why not. It came with what appears to be a normal Key. I will probably end up installing it on my full PC down the road instead of using it on the T100.

Got the Dell Venue 8 Pro on Saturday from notebooksbilliger.de .

I love it. Anybody who says that Apple Tablets/Android Tablets are better than the new Windows 8.1 Tablets... didn't really use one. It's such an amazing experience that you can just do everything like you would on your notebook/pc and even have an amazing portable device like this. You can even play real games really good and you have an incredible battery life on these devices. 249€ is also a perfect price.

Got no lag so far and I played around with the thing for about 6-7 hours and didn't even mind the tablet controls (only used iPads and the new Nexus 7 so far but won't use them anymore now).

So I can only recommendend these devices.

Having owned a V8P for a few days, and a retina iPad mini for a few weeks, I still say there are a lot of ways the iPad is superior. Of course I got the Venue for desktop mode (I don't care about the metro side even a little bit) and I found the touch accuracy to be significantly inferior to Apple's implementation. I'm sure there's some algorithmic secret sauce that Apple uses to deduce what you're attempting to click on that isn't present in Windows, since I found myself tapping several times to hit a tiny target and ostensibly missing by a few pixels, whereas the iPad would operate the way I wanted much more frequently. Getting a mouse for the Venue helped tremendously. In general, for light activity like reading the web and checking Twitter and stuff like that, the iPad is much faster to use. And the build quality of the iPad is superior, but that's to be expected.

That said, I'm greatly enjoying the Venue (now that I have a sexy bluetooth mouse), and the feeling of freedom and possibilities that carrying a tiny, self-contained, Windows PC presents you with.

border

I am liking the iPad Mini a lot more -- mostly just for the greater number of apps.

You can "play real games" with the DV8P, but you can probably count on 1 hand the number of "real" games that will work with a touchscreen interface.

rrs

I am liking the iPad Mini a lot more -- mostly just for the greater number of apps.

You can "play real games" with the DV8P, but you can probably count on 1 hand the number of "real" games that will work with a touchscreen interface.

Even then, said "real" games are going to be a few years old or run like ass at minimum settings.

This tablet is great but the keyboard is really pissing me off. Keys that don't registers and keys that write the same letter twice or three time. Makes any sentence a pain in the ass.

kitch9

Banned
This tablet is great but the keyboard is really pissing me off. Keys that don't registers and keys that write the same letter twice or three time. Makes any sentence a pain in the ass.

Are you using the Stylus?

I don't get any of that when using my finger.

Danj

I realise it's not 8" but it is Bay Trail so it's kind of relevant - anyone got any opinions on the Asus Transformer T100?

RoadDogg

I realise it's not 8" but it is Bay Trail so it's kind of relevant - anyone got any opinions on the Asus Transformer T100?

I'm pretty sure there are lots of opinions on it in here. For the price (I managed to get the 64 GB version for $299 a few weeks ago) it is by far the best value out there. I like the 10" size over the 8" as Windows 8 in portrait mode feels useless to me. Coming with a keyboard dock & full USB port at no additional cost is amazing as well. The only "issue" I have with it so far is the track pad buttons are horrifically loud to click, but again that is a small price to pay for actually having a track pad at all. When it first came out there were some battery life/shutdown issues but ASUS put out a new BIOS that has fixed them. I recommend the thing to everyone I talk to, especially if they are in the market for a tablet.

kmfdmpig

I recommend it. Office works well and is fast. Keyboard is ssufficient not great. Hdmi out is nice. Between the sd card slot, Hdmi and usb there is a lot you can do with it.

I purchased a 7" tablet specifically because I didn't want to lug around a mouse, keyboard, and/or controller.

Then this is not the tablet you are looking for. I still don't understand why people are in here touting superiority of iPad or Androids. It is not that, it's Windows 8.1 on a tablet at a dirt cheap price. For around $200-$300 you get a Windows tablet (yes definitely lacking in App on the Metro side) but then again you get a full blown desktop mode, SD Card slot and the ability to run most of the Windows apps. Desktop need keyboard and mouse, it's pretty much given, if you want a tablet that can do that then that is tool you need.

If you are looking for tablet to use as apps launcher and reading then this is definitely not the tablet for you.

By the way install torchlight 2 on my Dell Venue Pro 8 and yeah, this thing is awesome, best tablet in $200-300 price range for me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Having owned a V8P for a few days, and a retina iPad mini for a few weeks, I still say there are a lot of ways the iPad is superior. Of course I got the Venue for desktop mode (I don't care about the metro side even a little bit) and I found the touch accuracy to be significantly inferior to Apple's implementation. I'm sure there's some algorithmic secret sauce that Apple uses to deduce what you're attempting to click on that isn't present in Windows, since I found myself tapping several times to hit a tiny target and ostensibly missing by a few pixels, whereas the iPad would operate the way I wanted much more frequently. Getting a mouse for the Venue helped tremendously. In general, for light activity like reading the web and checking Twitter and stuff like that, the iPad is much faster to use. And the build quality of the iPad is superior, but that's to be expected.

That said, I'm greatly enjoying the Venue (now that I have a sexy bluetooth mouse), and the feeling of freedom and possibilities that carrying a tiny, self-contained, Windows PC presents you with.

I don't know whether its a MS thing or a manufacturer thing, but I've found touch sensitivity on the T100 to be pretty much spot on.

dem

Having a Venue 8.. and then saying you don't care about the metro side is like... mind boggling.

The only time it makes sense to use the legacy desktop on one of these tablets is in a pinch..or in a laptop/dock situation.

Touch on legacy windows is clunky.

BTW.. the fact that apps like Halo aren't working on every device is a huge problem. Windows Store Apps have to just work. That's the whole fucking point. That's a disaster of a problem to have.

Stitch

Gold Member
I'm using the Desktop all the time and really have no problems with it.
Firefox, DeSmuME, Steam... only time I'm using Metro is when I look at a TV Guide, play a Microsoft game or read a comic.

But I have the Toshiba Encore, maybe touch and the keyboard work better on it...

Argyle

Hmm I really don't understand your post at all then. There isn't any long pressing involved in the windows implementation, and you were decrying that you had to long press then swipe, right?

I was saying you don't long press, like at all. You just swipe. Like I wouldn't long press p to get 0, I would just flick up the p key.

Sorry at my possible confusion :)

Well, hot damn, you're right.

IMHO this kinda illustrates how Microsoft has lost the trail with UI (in terms of discoverability) - there is literally no visual indication that this is the case as the radial popup that shows you the numbers and special characters requires a long press to see, so basically this would be really hard to figure out on your own (and I missed it in the tutorials I guess?). Cool feature for power users, but I'll probably keep long pressing because a lot of the time when I am entering numbers from the keyboard vs. the num pad mode, I am entering a password with mixed numbers and letters. The only indication that I got a number instead of a letter is the different click sound (since it's a password the text field is obscured) and I've found the feature (swipe with no long press) to be unreliable enough for me that entering passwords this way has been pretty frustrating.

Anyway I am done fighting with this thing. Can anyone recommend a good all-in-one portable Bluetooth wireless keyboard+mouse/trackpad? Only one I have found that looks halfway decent is a Motorola model (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006CFU61U/?tag=neogaf0e-20)...any suggestions?

Having a Venue 8.. and then saying you don't care about the metro side is like... mind boggling.

The only time it makes sense to use the legacy desktop on one of these tablets is in a pinch..or in a laptop/dock situation.

Touch on legacy windows is clunky.

BTW.. the fact that apps like Halo aren't working on every device is a huge problem. Windows Store Apps have to just work. That's the whole fucking point. That's a disaster of a problem to have.

I am not here to defend Windows 8 Metro because well it is pretty much a bastard version of Windows Phone but please don't make it sound as if this is a unique problem on Windows OS. I remember plenty of apps not work when iPad new model come out or new version of OS, and let not get me started on Android, I don't know how many apps that doesn't work on my Nexus 7 and that's Google devices.

dem

I am not here to defend Windows 8 Metro because well it is pretty much a bastard version of Windows Phone but please don't make it sound as if this is a unique problem on Windows OS. I remember plenty of apps not work when iPad new model come out or new version of OS, and let not get me started on Android, I don't know how many apps that doesn't work on my Nexus 7 and that's Google devices.

I wont speak about Android apps.. because quite frankly i hate that OS and won't use it anymore. It reminds me of the mess windows used to be.

but.. I've never had app issues with my iPads.

kmfdmpig

For around $200-$300 you get a Windows tablet (yes definitely lacking in App on the Metro side) but then again you get a full blown desktop mode, SD Card slot and the ability to run most of the Windows apps. Desktop need keyboard and mouse, it's pretty much given, if you want a tablet that can do that then that is tool you need.
For me that's what it all comes down to. I paid about $265 for my t100. Add an other 40 for a 64GB sd card and 5 for a microHDMI cable. That means I paid 310 for a fast device with 128GB of memory and HDMI out. It comes with a keyboard, has a passable screen and can run Office like a champ. That is incredible value as it means I no longer am worried about replacing my laptop and also gives me portable Windows 8.1 in tablet form whenever needed. While there are certainly thinks that iPads and Android tablets do better I think the value proposition (for my usage at least) is with the Windows tablets. That was quite a surprise as they were not even on my radar 3 months ago.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
My stylus from Dell just came in.

I think it's broken or I'm missing something.

It is constantly clicking things when I'm about an inch and a half away from the screen.

border

I remember plenty of apps not work when iPad new model come out or new version of OS, and let not get me started on Android, I don't know how many apps that doesn't work on my Nexus 7 and that's Google devices.

The difference I guess is the developer response when apps stop working. If Plants Vs Zombies 2 wasn't working on the iPhone 5S or iPad Air, Popcap would be busting ass to get it fixed and push an update out. When Halo isn't working, 343 Inustries' response is basically "We'll get to it when we get to it." If that's the response we get from a 2nd party Microsoft subsidiary, then how much worse is it going to be when a 3rd party app doesn't work?

aaaaa0

The difference I guess is the developer response when apps stop working. If Plants Vs Zombies 2 wasn't working on the iPhone 5S or iPad Air, Popcap would be busting ass to get it fixed and push an update out. When Halo isn't working, 343 Inustries' response is basically "We'll get to it when we get to it." If that's the response we get from a 2nd party Microsoft subsidiary, then how much worse is it going to be when a 3rd party app doesn't work?

This will change once Windows 8 tablets get any significant marketshare.

Developers care about the platforms where the users are. Microsoft is going to keep flooding the market until there are users on Win8 tablets. Eventually, developers are going to care enough to make their apps work.

The deals on things like the Venue 8 Pro this season are just too good for them not to have sold millions.

Argyle

It is constantly clicking things when I'm about an inch and a half away from the screen.

Sadly, judging by the user reviews (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=750-aadh) your stylus is working as designed :(

I considered going with the official case + keyboard + stylus to try to make this usable, but I started reading the reviews on the stylus and it sounded pretty horrible. Hopefully it's fixable in a driver or firmware update...

kitch9

Banned

Dell is sending me a new one for the same issue, only they have suddenly gone on back order.....

Make of that what you will.

TaroYamada

Anybody grab the new humble bundle android? Do any of the games work with touch on the PC releases? It seems something like Jack Lumber absolutely should.

Apparently Asus got an 8" Windows tablet with Wacom pen in the works.

gfEI4hd.jpg

Specs:

Display: 8 Zoll IPS, 1280×800
Touchscreen: capacitive, 10-point-touch, Wacom-Digitizer with Stylus (optional?)
Operating System: Windows 8.1 with Microsoft Office 2013 Home & Student
Processor: 1,33-1,86GHz Intel Atom Z3740 “Bay Trail” Quadcore-SoC
RAM: 2 Gigabyte
Internal Storage: 32 or 64 Gigabyte
Connectors: MicroSD, MicroUSB, 3,5mm Audio
Communication: WLAN a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS
Camera: 5 (rear) and 1,2 Megapixel (front)
Audio: Stereo speaker and microphone
Battery: 3950mAh, 15Wh
Color: black
Measurements: 220,9 x 133,8 x 10,95 mm.
Weight: 380 g
Price: $299

Basically the same specs as the rest with no micro HDMI port either and only the Wacom stylus as differentiator.

Top Bottom